What is the worst ever thing that happened to Dragonball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: What is the worst ever thing that happened to Dragonball?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:56 am

Suupaa Gohan 2 wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:Actually, Dragon Ball Evolution was hands down the worst thing to ever happen to Dragon Ball. It sucked so bad and had so little to do with Dragon Ball that I completely forgot about it.
But that's kinda the reason I don't consider DBE or GT to be the worst things...they're so easy to forget about or ignore, they don't really have a substantial impact on the franchise as we know and love it (as opposed to my previous answer, the FUNi dub). Am I the only one who feels that way...?
Well the FUNi dub opened up the show to new fans. If it wasn't for that, I would never even probably know about the show and neither would most of its US fans. HOWEVER, DBE was just terrible. A big release in theaters, something that many have waited for, and it turned out to be such trash. GT is not so easily forgotten in my opinion, it gets debated at every turn, but I still don't think it's as bad as DBE. I think that it was so horrible that I completely wanted to purge it from my memory. I was watching it on Cinemax with my brother over (who is 28 now) and him not even being a huge follower of the show said that it was so crappy it's making him want to go watch the cartoon. I found that funny.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:57 am

Can I just say that I really don't understand GT being the worst thing to happen to the franchise?

It's not particularly divisive. Not like certain dubs, certain characters, certain music choices, etc. It's pretty much there to take or leave. It's wholly independent of the manga (playing on several anime-only concepts), so it only affects one version of the story. And even then, it's an add-on, so there's nothing stopping you from getting to the end of the Z anime and quitting. While it's not perfect, I personally find the story more complete with its addition. But I never see any raging debates about GT's ending vs the manga's ending destroying the community or anything. Other than people not enjoying it, can someone honestly point out how GT's existence is in any way detrimental or ruinous?
No man, this is the part where even outsiders can take Dragon Ball Z seriously. This is the part where you use your brain and your heart. This is the best part!!!
You have to "use your brain and your heart" to understand Dragon Ball's retarded and needlessly serious presentation of time travel? What is this I don't even.

Now, for things that have actually been detrimental to the franchise, I present Dragon Ball Online. And I know I'll get a lot of flack for this. But unlike GT (which is pretty much a take-it-or-leave-it, anime-specific scenario), you now have an entire legion of fans flocking to a mediocre Korean RPG which signed on Toriyama to drum up sales like it's some kind of gospel. The makers say, "Hey, we need a Majin race." Toriyama says, "Okay, well then I guess maybe Buu reproduces in that case." The fans say, "Oh man, this is the CANONEST FUCKING THING EVER, EFF GT," and things just get ridiculous from there.
Last edited by Cipher on Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Necrosaber
Beyond Newbie

Post by Necrosaber » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:09 pm

Cipher wrote: Now, for things that have actually been detrimental to the franchise, I present Dragon Ball Online. And I know I'll get a lot of flack for this. But unlike GT, which is pretty much a take-it-or-leave-it scenario anime-specific scenario, you now have an entire legion of fans flocking to a mediocre Korean RPG which signed on Toriyama to drum up sales like it's some kind of gospel. The makers say, "Hey, we need a Majin race." Toriyama says, "Okay, well then I guess maybe Buu reproduces in that case." The fans say, "Oh man, this is the CANONEST FUCKING THING EVER, EFF GT," and things just get ridiculous from there.
This. Absolutely this. DB Online is absolutely ridiculous but I know people who embrace it with open arms.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:22 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:To actually answer this question, I'm going to say DBE. I really can't believe some people on this thread picked GT over DBE. GT was watchable, DBE was a complete fucking mess of bad editing, bad casting and bad adaptation.
I agree that Evolution is terrible and all, but I wouldn't say it's the worst thing that's happened to Dragon Ball. It hasn't exactly left any scars on the series, and most people don't know it even exists. It just came in and left.
Necrosaber wrote:DB Online is absolutely ridiculous but I know people who embrace it with open arms.
And I'm sure you can judge it, what with you playing the game and all.

But if I had to say what I think the worst thing to happen to Dragon Ball is, I'd say the anime's fight between Goku and Freeza.
It left a stereotype that the series would never really manage to shake off, and really kills one of the greatest fights in the entire series (in my opinion, of course).

Necrosaber
Beyond Newbie

Post by Necrosaber » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:32 pm

Rory wrote:
Necrosaber wrote:DB Online is absolutely ridiculous but I know people who embrace it with open arms.
Because I can't look at videos and read up on the story and premise on the internet, right? :mrgreen:

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:40 pm

Rory wrote:
Of the people who have played it, I haven't seen one single review call it anything other than decidedly mediocre. The issue here is the plot and backstory, which I think we're all aware of and qualified to judge at this point.

But even that's not the real problem. It's the people spouting off that DBO's (incredibly vague) backstory is Toriyama's sacred vision, when it's obvious that the characters' epilogues have been tailored to the gameplay and not the other way around. Even the best footnotes such as Krillin and Tenshinhan developing the fighting styles for the human classes reek of "Hey, look, we're connecting this element of gameplay to the manga in order to draw your attention!"

Toriyama's doing this for a pay check; the game developers are doing this to draw some attention to their game. It's really not all that different from his involvement with Toei for GT. They give him a direction, and he provides some designs and premises to fill in the gaps. It is, as GT is so often called to the anime, a "nice side story" to the manga-verse. But it's not the end-all-be-all that certain fans play it up as.

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:22 pm

Schemmel's Kaio.

www.KristaMichaels.com

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:53 pm

Ha! I certainly can't argue with that!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:23 pm

I don't understand how people can think some voice, or some music, or DBE, or even GT is the "worst thing ever" to happen to Dragonball when Filler is sitting there like a big ugly frog. When people mock DB, they don't talk about King Kai's voice or the movie adaption, they talk about the endless staring contests and Five Minutes.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:00 pm

The whole "Five Minutes" thing might be shorter in Kai and the manga but neither enough so to not still be laughably ridiculous.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:28 pm

Rocketman wrote:I don't understand how people can think some voice, or some music, or DBE, or even GT is the "worst thing ever" to happen to Dragonball when Filler is sitting there like a big ugly frog. When people mock DB, they don't talk about King Kai's voice or the movie adaption, they talk about the endless staring contests and Five Minutes.
Well, just because everyone else hates the filler, why should I? This thread is nothing more than opinions and it is my opinion that Schemmel's Kaio is far worse than the filler. In fact, as much as I love and prefer the original manga, some of the anime-only filler stuff is my favorite. I don't share the same brain as the majority.

www.KristaMichaels.com

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:31 pm

I don't think this "same brain as the majority" thing happened until Kai told them to believe that all filler is bad. Sure, the nickname "Drag-On Ball" had been around for years (and in some ways for good reason), but I'd never encountered such widespread filler panic until Kai became the new hotness.

chaosakita
Not-So-Newbie

Post by chaosakita » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:15 pm

I guess Dragonball GT. But it really doesn't affect anyone.

Personally, I dislike the idea of power levels.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:50 pm

Rory wrote: I agree that Evolution is terrible and all, but I wouldn't say it's the worst thing that's happened to Dragon Ball. It hasn't exactly left any scars on the series, and most people don't know it even exists. It just came in and left.
Not for me it hasn't. DBE for me was like Fox coming in and taking a big dump over the franchise, that we still haven't fully cleaned up.
Cipher wrote: Now, for things that have actually been detrimental to the franchise, I present Dragon Ball Online. And I know I'll get a lot of flack for this. But unlike GT (which is pretty much a take-it-or-leave-it, anime-specific scenario), you now have an entire legion of fans flocking to a mediocre Korean RPG which signed on Toriyama to drum up sales like it's some kind of gospel. The makers say, "Hey, we need a Majin race." Toriyama says, "Okay, well then I guess maybe Buu reproduces in that case." The fans say, "Oh man, this is the CANONEST FUCKING THING EVER, EFF GT," and things just get ridiculous from there.
I guess fans are hungry for anything that continues the story, even if it's as retarded as Boo having children with a "woman" of his own creation, after reading a sex book or whatever. Seriously, I will give everyone on this forum a million dollars, if that story about Boo was actually Toriyama's original and unbiased vision for the character after the series.
Mountain wrote:Schemmel's Kaio.
That has be an overeaction. The voice is not that annoying. I'd rather hear Schemmel's Kaiō voice over and over, than hear Masako Nozawa's Gokū scream over and over.

Minigt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Minigt » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:53 pm

GT..........................
Chuncho Stretchy Pants

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:56 pm

Too many video games.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:03 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:I guess fans are hungry for anything that continues the story, even if it's as retarded as Boo having children with a "woman" of his own creation, after reading a sex book or whatever. Seriously, I will give everyone on this forum a million dollars, if that story about Boo was actually Toriyama's original and unbiased vision for the character after the series.
I think that's actually one of the less egregiously bad concepts for the game, although you can still tell it was only made for gameplay reasons. Other than that, it seems kind of like natural Toriyama humor. But when you get to stuff like Tenshinhan and Krillin creating two different human-based fighting styles, or a Super Saiyan population, or the Namekians having to relocate to Earth, it just becomes outrageously clear that their gameplay ideas come first, and Toriyama's half-hearted explanations later. And while the Makaioshin involvement is genuinely interesting and something Toriyama likely pitched himself, it still has to be worked around absurd time travel gimmicks so the game can sell itself on iconic moments from the series. Good concept, terrible execution. Does that sound familiar to any other fan mantra?

And that doesn't even touch on fucking "Evil Bardock," which is a concept a thousand times more fan-wankish than even GT's biggest fan-wanky Goku moments. I almost can't express how terrible that is. DBO seems to be about as much unfettered authentic Toriyama vision as GT was, only set in the manga universe (and a lot less entertaining, in my book). So I don't really know where people get off berating one and lauding the other, except as a matter of personal taste.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:09 pm

I dunno, the Boo's lover thingy still really raises my bullshit sensors.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:22 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:I dunno, the Boo's lover thingy still really raises my bullshit sensors.
It's a gag. Dragon Ball is kind of known to have toilet humour from time to time, it's not exactly a super serious story element.
I know you already know all this, but relax. Jokes are fun too.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:44 am

Rory wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:I dunno, the Boo's lover thingy still really raises my bullshit sensors.
It's a gag. Dragon Ball is kind of known to have toilet humour from time to time, it's not exactly a super serious story element.
I know you already know all this, but relax. Jokes are fun too.
I just don't understand why Boo would want to find a mate and reproduce. It just doesn't seem like him to want to do that. I know it's a gag, but it lead to the Earth getting populated by fricking pink demons.