Goku a Superhero?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

caejones
I Live Here

Re: Goku a Superhero?

Post by caejones » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:54 pm

Wikipedia has Superhero as a strictly American concept based around Marvel and DC. And lists Goku in its examples of Superheroes.

The idea of what a superhero is is pretty vague. So... nyah. Goku has a distinctive outfit, superhuman abilities, fights evil when convenient... Is that enough to qualify him as a superhero? I dunno.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:59 pm

I believe he is. Not all Super Heroes have secret identities. Everyone knows Tony Stark is Iron Man. He's a hero, at least. Japanese Super Heroes IMO are guys like Joe the Condor or Yatterman, etc...

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:37 pm

He is the Hero Guy. And he's pretty super, too.

But really, I don't see why he wouldn't quality as a superhero. Maybe he's not a justice nerd that patrols the streets for jerks, but the definition of a hero goes way beyond that (especially outside of comic books). He's done countless heroic things, including sacrificing his own life twice. And he has more actual superpowers than Batman or Iron Man do, if only because of Oozaru and SSJ.

Also, I'm surprised no one has posted this yet:

-Rachel

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:50 pm

Marvel should do a reversal of what they did in the 70s-80s. They allowed mangaka to do adaptions of their series like Spider-Man: the Manga. Lol, a Marvel version of DB would be interesting. No doubt they'd expand on Bardock's story; it seems like something Stan Lee would think of.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:54 pm

TripleRach wrote:But really, I don't see why he wouldn't quality as a superhero. Maybe he's not a justice nerd that patrols the streets for jerks, but the definition of a hero goes way beyond that (especially outside of comic books).
You're switching your terms around. Yes, the definition of "hero" goes well beyond being "a justice nerd that patrols the streets for jerks", but what about the definition of superhero? I know technically "superhero" would just mean a hero who happens to be "super", but in actual usage the term invokes various fairly specific elements (a secret identity separate from the heroic persona; a costume worn to conceal this secret identity; a commitment to fighting crime; etc), none of which apply to Goku at all. I don't see what's wrong with saying that Goku is a hero but not a superhero.

If Goku's a superhero, then are the characters from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon superheroes? Is Hercules a superhero (well, I know there's the Marvel character, but the original mythological figure)? Is the archangel Michael a superhero? Who wouldn't you consider a superhero?
Last edited by Herms on Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:59 pm

NeoKING wrote: Lol, a Marvel version of DB would be interesting. No doubt they'd expand on Bardock's story; it seems like something Stan Lee would think of.
A american comic book series of Dragon Ball from Marvel, DC, and Image comics would be cool to see. They would end up adding their own versions of the Zetto Senshi in the 616 universe similar what they did with Godzilla over 30 years ago back in the 70's.

I think a American comic book series of Dragon Ball was made then it will likely end up being made by IDW since they are known to make comics based on popular series like Transformers, Star Trek, GI Joe, Doctor Who, and Jurrasic Park.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
NeoKING wrote: Lol, a Marvel version of DB would be interesting. No doubt they'd expand on Bardock's story; it seems like something Stan Lee would think of.
A american comic book series of Dragon Ball from Marvel, DC, and Image comics would be cool to see. They would end up adding their own versions of the Zetto Senshi in the 616 universe similar what they did with Godzilla over 30 years ago back in the 70's.

I think a American comic book series of Dragon Ball was made then it will likely end up being made by IDW since they are known to make comics based on popular series like Transformers, Star Trek, GI Joe, Doctor Who, and Jurrasic Park.
Marvel once had a line called Mangaverse which were manga versions of their popular series. They made the Fantastic Four one a homage to NGE, I don't see why they couldn't make the X-Men or Spider-Man one(where Spidey's a ninja!) a DB homage somehow.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:46 pm

Herms wrote:
TripleRach wrote:But really, I don't see why he wouldn't quality as a superhero. Maybe he's not a justice nerd that patrols the streets for jerks, but the definition of a hero goes way beyond that (especially outside of comic books).
You're switching your terms around. Yes, the definition of "hero" goes well beyond being "a justice nerd that patrols the streets for jerks", but what about the definition of superhero? I know technically "superhero" would just mean a hero who happens to be "super", but in actual usage the term invokes various fairly specific elements (a secret identity separate from the heroic persona; a costume worn to conceal this secret identity; a commitment to fighting crime; etc), none of which apply to Goku at all. I don't see what's wrong with saying that Goku is a hero but not a superhero.

If Goku's a superhero, then are the characters from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon superheroes? Is Hercules a superhero (well, I know there's the Marvel character, but the original mythological figure)? Is the archangel Michael a superhero? Who wouldn't you consider a superhero?
Well, yes, I do have a pretty broad definition of a superhero. "Superhero" doesn't invoke such a specific definition to me beyond a hero with superpowers. Maybe I am just a crazy person who uses words wrong, but I honestly don't see what's wrong with calling him a superhero. To me, he just invokes the same kind of general ideas of a powered/skilled good guy as most American comic heroes.

As for your examples, I don't remember enough about Crouching Tiger or Michael to give much of an opinion, but for Hercules, sure, why not?
-Rachel

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm

Herms wrote:Yes, the definition of "hero" goes well beyond being "a justice nerd that patrols the streets for jerks", but what about the definition of superhero? I know technically "superhero" would just mean a hero who happens to be "super", but in actual usage the term invokes various fairly specific elements (a secret identity separate from the heroic persona; a costume worn to conceal this secret identity; a commitment to fighting crime; etc), none of which apply to Goku at all. I don't see what's wrong with saying that Goku is a hero but not a superhero.
The issue is that while the term "superhero" is relatively new, the concept it invokes can extend pretty far back. Superman may have inspired the term but a lot of older characters like The Phantom and Zorro have been retroactively absorbed into it. Kind of like how while Elvis inspired the concept of Rock and Roll he wasn't technically the first to do it. Or how Street Fighter II gave birth to the fighting game genre but older games like Karate Champ (originally categorized as action games) were retroactively adopted into the genre.

The take away is that some people even go so far as to say the ancient Greek heroes like Hercules (admittedly not very heroic by today's standards) could qualify as superheroes. So it's pretty broad.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:05 pm

TripleRach wrote:He is the Hero Guy. And he's pretty super, too.

But really, I don't see why he wouldn't quality as a superhero. Maybe he's not a justice nerd that patrols the streets for jerks, but the definition of a hero goes way beyond that (especially outside of comic books). He's done countless heroic things, including sacrificing his own life twice. And he has more actual superpowers than Batman or Iron Man do, if only because of Oozaru and SSJ.

Also, I'm surprised no one has posted this yet:

Looking at that reminded me of how friend and me are gonna try to make a video of various cosplayers to the Justice League theme.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:07 pm

Goku. Not a superhero.

Gohan. Also not a superhero.

Great Saiyaman. Superhero.

Simple enough!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:48 am

So, before this thread started, I brought up this idea to my dad, and mentioned that Great Saiyaman is the actual Superhero of the main cast. He brought up the question of Videl.
Now, yeah, Videl becomes Great Saiyaman#2. But before that, did she qualify as a Superhero? Her father certainly was a superhero in the minds of the general public, but what about Videl herself?

*Imagines Trunks and Goten trying to be superheroes and only causing more harm as a result* :lol:
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:41 pm

Kendamu wrote:Goku. Not a superhero.

Simple enough!
I'm sure someone's going to turn round and disagree with you, so don't drag it on.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

TonyTheTiger

Post by TonyTheTiger » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:17 pm

If having a secret identity or otherwise alternate persona is required to be a superhero then I guess Jean Grey, Luke Cage, and Emma Frost aren't superheroes.

Just Saiyan...

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:30 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:

Simple enough!
I'm sure someone's going to turn round and disagree with you, so don't drag it on.
I said it one time and kept it short. I'm sure dragging it out is the least of your worries.

On Videl and Mr. Satan, their fighting to uphold justice is superheroic, but they're not superheroes in the traditional sense (costumes and such). They're more like... champions of the people. Both are very similar, but Batman wouldn't be a Superhero if he snuck around beating up crooks as Bruce Wayne. It's being Batman that sets him apart from just being some guy who beats up crooks.
(they/she)

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:43 pm

Superhero is a trademark of Marvel and DC. If Goku doesn't resemble what they call superheroes, then he's not one.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:47 pm

Kendamu wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:

Simple enough!
I said it one time and kept it short. I'm sure dragging it out is the least of your worries.

On Videl and Mr. Satan, their fighting to uphold justice is superheroic, but they're not superheroes in the traditional sense (costumes and such). They're more like... champions of the people. Both are very similar, but Batman wouldn't be a Superhero if he snuck around beating up crooks as Bruce Wayne. It's being Batman that sets him apart from just being some guy who beats up crooks.
I share your opinion that Goku isn't a superhero, but it looks like this thread is going round in circles over what is a superhero and what is not.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:50 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:I share your opinion that Goku isn't a superhero, but it looks like this thread is going round in circles over what is a superhero and what is not.
That's because some people don't know what a superhero really is and the people who do know keep arguing with the people who don't know. I just felt like simplifying things a bit since, really, the answer is extremely simple if you just step back and take a look at the overall picture.
(they/she)

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:53 pm

Rocketman wrote:Superhero is a trademark of Marvel and DC. If Goku doesn't resemble what they call superheroes, then he's not one.
Thus, we have the sollution...

Get Marvel/DC representatives to osay what they think.

TonyTheTiger

Post by TonyTheTiger » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:04 pm

Kendamu wrote:That's because some people don't know what a superhero really is and the people who do know keep arguing with the people who don't know. I just felt like simplifying things a bit since, really, the answer is extremely simple if you just step back and take a look at the overall picture.
That's a pretty bold statement considering your presumed definition of a superhero is narrower than Marvel's. I guess Thor isn't a superhero? How many prominent Avengers and X-Men do I have to go through?