Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discussion

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:42 pm

Sean was perfect in this episode as always. That's most definitely Laura Bailey as Kid Vegeta. The fight is getting intense. I'm getting very excited for next Saturday when he transforms into a SSJ for the first time.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:49 pm

JulieYBM wrote:I dunno, he sounded really moany and gravelly here. Let me be clear in saying that this episode was more the final straw that broke the camel's back. Schemmel's voice has always grated on my nerves, this is just one more dime in the wishing well.
Compared the scene for Kai in both languages. Sean's gravelly tone during the Kamehame-Ha was really no different from Masako Nozawa's, save for maybe a little more "oomph" put into it (but this may be of course due to age differences). Goku's at his absolute limit, he's pouring everything he has left over to attempt finishing Freeza. He's not supposed to sound like anything but scraping the bottom of the barrel for energy.

As for moany...well, considering the lines said, I don't see how else you could say them when you've been beaten down and look like you have no chance of winning.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:50 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote: Sheesh! Debbie Downer over here. ;P

I thought he put a lot of passion and intensity into the scene, much more than the older version. I mean, his lungs sound like they're exploding there.
I dunno, he sounded really moany and gravelly here. Let me be clear in saying that this episode was more the final straw that broke the camel's back. Schemmel's voice has always grated on my nerves, this is just one more dime in the wishing well.
I agree with with Kaiser on this one, he put a lot into the scene, heart, emotion, and when he was made, you could feel it. That's what I felt. It worked with the scene.

And I find, often, that Nozawa's Goku is very gravelly in almost all of her screams, they're very rough. But, I've come to accept that as part of the role. One of the things you grow used to.

Tsukento got it right, he's playing the role as he should.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:51 pm

That echo-like effect on Schemmel's voice when he said "Kaio Ken" was pretty cool. :3

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:52 pm

Sean Schemmel(Goku) was great. I wish someone would explain how he was bad other than saying he was "gravelly." Seriously, is that some kind of cookie-cutter voice criticism? Because if anyone wants to use the adjective "gravelly" to describe a bad Goku performance then Masako Nozawa is a horrible Goku.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:55 pm

NeoKING wrote:Sean Schemmel(Goku) was great. I wish someone would explain how he was bad other than saying he was "gravelly." Seriously, is that some kind of cookie-cutter voice criticism? Because if anyone wants to use the adjective "gravelly" to describe a bad Goku performance then Masako Nozawa is a horrible Goku.
I think my icon thoroughly describes the look on my face now.

But seriously, the few segmented parts I watched of this episode were great. Sean Schemmel was really intense, especially during that dream sequence thingamajig
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Deimos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Deimos » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:00 pm

I thought Sean did a fantastic job. What more could you ask from him? He sounded like he put his heart and soul into that performance. He sure has come a long way.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:04 pm

Nozawa has nothing to do with my views of this. I don't even remember what her recording for Kai sounds like. Schemmel's work just plain hurt my ears. It's consistent with the usual problem I have with him. It doesn't feel like he is acting to me, just that he's making noises. The same, painful noise with no variation.

Grumble, grumble, grouch, grouch. ;)
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:12 pm

NeoKING wrote:Sean Schemmel(Goku) was great. I wish someone would explain how he was bad other than saying he was "gravelly." Seriously, is that some kind of cookie-cutter voice criticism? Because if anyone wants to use the adjective "gravelly" to describe a bad Goku performance then Masako Nozawa is a horrible Goku.
All right.

Nozawa makes you feel the power of her voice, but it's not oppressive. With Schemmel, it felt too heavy. It was natural for Schemmel, but not for Goku.

But I didn't think it was bad, just not as good as Nozawa's.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:13 pm

I remember seeing the Z version of the FUNi dub of this, and WOW! This is amazing! YES! YES! YES!
The Vegeta thing with the poorly drawn pants made me lol.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:14 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Nozawa has nothing to do with my views of this. I don't even remember what her recording for Kai sounds like. Schemmel's work just plain hurt my ears. It's consistent with the usual problem I have with him. It doesn't feel like he is acting to me, just that he's making noises. The same, painful noise with no variation.

Grumble, grumble, grouch, grouch. ;)
And that's actually a good thing. You know someone is a good actor when you can't tell they're acting. Goku isn't supposed to be doing anything but struggling at that point. He got pounded away big time (even though a good chunk of the beatings got cut out for the Nicktoons broadcast). He's exhausted most of his energy. He's up against someone who he has virtually no chance of winning against. What we're supposed to be hearing is someone who is utterly desperate to win even though they've got literally nothing left over.

If Schemmel didn't do that, it would then become really obvious he's not matching the way he's supposed to be portraying the character.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:19 pm

penguintruth wrote:
All right.

Nozawa makes you feel the power of her voice, but it's not oppressive. With Schemmel, it felt too heavy. It was natural for Schemmel, but not for Goku.

But I didn't think it was bad, just not as good as Nozawa's.
What do you mean by "oppressive?" As in something hindering the performance?

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:22 pm

NeoKING wrote:What do you mean by "oppressive?" As in something hindering the performance?
Not the performance (or rather, the delivery) itself, but we're supposed to believe this is Goku getting revved up, not just some dude.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:28 pm

Tsukento wrote:And that's actually a good thing. You know someone is a good actor when you can't tell they're acting. Goku isn't supposed to be doing anything but struggling at that point. He got pounded away big time (even though a good chunk of the beatings got cut out for the Nicktoons broadcast). He's exhausted most of his energy. He's up against someone who he has virtually no chance of winning against. What we're supposed to be hearing is someone who is utterly desperate to win even though they've got literally nothing left over.

If Schemmel didn't do that, it would then become really obvious he's not matching the way he's supposed to be portraying the character.
I guess I need to say this in another way: I think he's doing a bad job of doing any of that while not sounding completely horrible to the ears. There's nothing real or emotionally-driven in those screams or dialogues. He sounds like he has something stuck in his throat, not that he's tired or hurting.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:40 pm

penguintruth wrote:
NeoKING wrote:What do you mean by "oppressive?" As in something hindering the performance?
Not the performance (or rather, the delivery) itself, but we're supposed to believe this is Goku getting revved up, not just some dude.
I don't hear some dude getting revved up, I hear Goku getting revved up.

And I completely disagree, it's very natural. He sounds like a man who's been put through the ringer, who's mad, in pain, who's fighting for his life. I really fail to see how it sounds unnatural, other than you saying as such. It really was a good performance to me.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:48 pm

I think at this point you guys should just agree to disagree.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:53 pm

I disagree!

I mean, all right.

Can I get a Schemen?

Turtle Marked Stone
Regular

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:20 am

I actually got a little teary when Sean did that scream/cry for Gohan. Granted I'm a crybaby anyway...but still. Major props to Sean, I also really liked that building scream when he did the x20. That was very Nozawaesque to me. I thought he hit that note perfectly.

Loving kid Vegeta's new voice, I'm so glad it wasn't that weird high pitched Sabat thing from before. Ayres is magnificent as always. I love all of the pseudo polite banter.

I forgot how much I enjoy that drowning scene. The actual drowning process played out...very real by Dragonball standards. Both of the hallucination scenes are absolutely great and top grade filler in my book. Very great work from the English cast. I'm always shocked by how comfortably Sabat has gotten into that Piccolo voice. It's magnificent, a huge, huge, huge improvement from what I was used to hearing. (Y'know constantly screaming, even during casual chatting Piccolo.) Same thing for Vegeta, really.

Also "King Kai" made me cringe but what else is new?

Flamingwindjutsu

Post by Flamingwindjutsu » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:41 am

Everything was superb about this episode except... King Kai. This has been the ONLY time I felt Sean's King Kai voice to be intrusive. It was just... my god, that was miserable. However, as Goku, he gave me chills. The hallucination sequence was fantastic and heartbreaking, and the 20X Kaio-ken Kamehameha was amazing. Favourite moment of the episode was Sean's scream for Krillin, tied with the line "And I need to show this guy that you do not mess with me and my friends!" Both incredible moments. Chris Ayers was superb, as always, it's pretty much a given now. The dream sequence at the end gave me chills, until the freaking HORRIBLY out of place brown underwear showed up. That totally killed the moment. I look forward to the DVD for the full effect of that scene. Overall, a really great episode, but the next one is gonna be kinda lame, although it does seem like it's gonna have more Freeza lines in it, and that's always a good thing. Plus, even closer to Super Saiyan. I have a feeling Sean's transformation scream is gonna be awesome. No one can deny, he is at least a master at screaming.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:54 am

I was gonna say the same thing, the screaming in terror in the hallucination was just amazing. Felt like he was really, REALLY in agony.

I enjoyed everything about the episode, until I heard King Kai. He acted well in the voice. But, this moment just proved how miscast King Kai is. That voice doesn't work in a super serious moment like the one in this episode.

I feel no need to mention how well Ayres is doing. Since basically, almost everyone probably agrees.