GT - A Viewing experience.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

GT - A Viewing experience.

Post by Snail » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:17 am

Consider this a blog in regards to my commentary of the series.

This will mark my first time in viewing Dragonball GT in sequential order! Prior to this, I've probably seen a good 40 episodes of the series. I've also spent the past three-to-four years slowly creeping through the entirety of the Dragonball, and Dragonball Z franchise from start to finish; just something I've been trying to scratch off my bucket list in the past decade.

It must be noted that I'm not trying to make an incredibly insightful review of the series, but instead I'll be keeping up with some daily to weekly ramblings on what I've seen; initial thoughts if you will. I hope that I can provide for a somewhat entertaining read..or atleast something to give the fine folks here at daizex to digest. I'm bound to surface questions and discussions as well.

So here I go. There's a lot of baggage going into this series, but I've taken an astoundingly long break from any taste of GT, so I'm going into this with an open mind.

Without further ado, my thoughts on the first two episodes.

"A Devastating Wish" / "The Mysterious Dragon Balls Appear!! Son Goku Becomes A Child!?"
Episode one starts things off quite nicely. Great animation, and a fun return from Pilaf and co. Goku zapped into a child again? Alright, it's a fun twist..I'll take it..the Black star balls?....not so much. I find it absurd as to how the deities of planet Earth are absolutely clueless all the damned time. Some housekeeper you are Mr.Popo. Hilarity ensues as Son Goku interacts with the cast again. It's not a jarring change from where the series left off in Z, which is a plus. Had a smile on my face the entire episode, despite it's tiny blunders the episode is 'feel-good', and refreshing.

"Pan Blasts Off" / "I Am The Leader! Pan Flies Into Space!!"
The second episode is more of the same, except with a terrible downgrade in animation. Also, I thought the sub plot with the kidnappers was a waste of time to be blunt. Pan starts the ignition, and the spaceship zooms off into space. If I recall, fans criticized the misuse (or lack of use) in the character of Goten. From a technical viewpoint, it was a smart decision on Toei's part, in benefit of miss Masako Nozawa. Other than carrying a slight suspense as to who the main crew could be, this episode is surprisingly bland.