Ultimate Blast/Tenkaichi Game Play (Post-Release Discussion)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yamchaa

Re: Ultimate Blast/Tenkaichi Game Play (Post-Release Discuss

Post by Yamchaa » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:16 am

As a big fan of the Dragonball Universe, I've been enjoying the game quite a bit, It's been a while since i got a Dragonball related game, so it took me some time to get the hang of the controls and timing, but I'm catching on slowly but surely.

I also agree that the visuals and music were done really well, and Hero mode has been fun because I've always wanted to be able to create my own Dragonball character in a fighting game rather than using a pre-existing one lol.

I look forward to unlocking more stuff for the created characters and battling online -

I tried playing online last night, but it seemed that no one was in the lobby, has anyone else ran into this issue?

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:31 am

Saiga wrote:
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Ha, ha, that's pretty neat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCbxP1lCET0
Has anyone else done this for the other characters that got cut out of this game?
I've seen someone make a long haired Trunks, Uub, and Adult Gohan. Along with some others that I can't remember right now.
It's great being able to recreate characters as well as making your own too.

As far as I'm concerned, apart from a new Saiyan I created for the medium slot :
- I used the small slot to recreate Kid Goku (riding the Kinto-Un on the map makes it even greater). I give him attacks he could have had when little when untransformed. If transformed, I consider it can only be the Kid Goku from GT and therefore I have no limits for the special and ultimate moves he might use.
- I used the tall slot to create Adult Son Goku Jr., pushing the limits a little bit further than when the story ends even for those following GT till the end.

Basically, one slot for a whole new character, one slot for an existing character, and one slot for an exclusive version of an existing character.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:30 pm

Well, how does the gameplay work exactly? I can't tell from the videos, and frankly, all you guys are saying is that it's one big minigame...

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:57 pm

I've been finding the Hero Mode to be quite fun, it's pretty neat playing as your own character. I'm currently fighting Bebi's Oozaru form.

Like an RPG you'll need to train and go fight countless battles as some of the bosses can be quite hard if you go to them 1 by 1. Take piccolo for example, I didn't do any training at all and got by just fine than I realized that my HP was only the base number and he had 50K! I was never able to get the Rush buttons to work (Square, Triangle for the ps3) I spent about 5 hrs training and leveling up my stats and was able to beat him easily.

I named my Hero after the main character in my fan db game, Shikaru.

@funrush: The game is not one big mini game, there's more to it than that and it's quite different than the other Dragon Ball games(good thing to, this games fun) The Hero mode is probably the best feature of this game.

I haven't gone online yet but plan to later.

PSN: Shiku-kun

funrush

Post by funrush » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:12 pm

Well, I'll consider picking it up!

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:28 pm

Do you have to beat hero mode to take your character online and story mode? Cause I was playing online earlier and was kind ?? where's my character.

darkhawk5
Beyond Newbie

Post by darkhawk5 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:03 pm

No, you don't- you can go online with your character as soon as you create hero mode data.

Phred
Beyond Newbie

Post by Phred » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:16 am

Has anyone compiled a list of all the things you can get from training mode yet?
I finally mastered Super Janemba only to not learn any of his techniques along the way. (Although I did get a skill that boosts my supers and ultimates at the same time)
Will I never get a sweet sword?
Though my theory was correct, once you 100% Super Janemba, his mastery bonus switches from all -10s to +5/+10s.
It's weird, all I was learning from Janemba were Goku's skills.
I wonder if that means Super Vegito isn't going to give me his Ki sword.
[url=http://phred.thegreatbeyond.net]Comix Productions[/url]

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:32 am

There is this thread, but the information is strewn throughout the thread, so you'd have to go through the whole thing.

Normal heroes at least get Beam Sword Slash :wink:
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:58 am

So, I just spent all my money on Batman Arkham Asylum, but when I went to the store, I noticed this came out. Is it any good?
Better/Worse than Raging Blast, Better/worse than Burst Limit?
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:14 am

Silver Sinspawn wrote:So, I just spent all my money on Batman Arkham Asylum, but when I went to the store, I noticed this came out. Is it any good?
Better/Worse than Raging Blast, Better/worse than Burst Limit?
Characters: Raging Blast (70) > Ultimate Tenkaichi (64) > Burst Limit (41)

Gameplay: Raging Blast (Budokai Tenkaichi-style) > Burst Limit (Budokai-style) > Ultimate Tenkaichi (Rock-Paper-Scissors or as an Interactive DVD game-type)

Graphics: Ultimate Tenkaichi > Burst Limit > Raging Blast

Cutscenes: Burst Limit > Ultimate Tenkaichi > Raging Blast

Music: Burst Limit > Ultimate Tenkaichi > Raging Blast

So, you might want to check the gameplay videos DBZanto has been posting on YouTube and reviews too.

The Japanese Soundtrack of Ultimate Tenkaichi is phenomenal, wish it'd come on the International OST but as expected, did not. -.-"

Wait till you see the game on a bargain bin.

DBZ current gen preference: Raging Blast > Burst Limit > Raging Blast 2 > Ultimate Tenkaichi
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:46 pm

I'm sorry if this is against the rules. But a site I'm part of has decided to start reviewing video games, (we use to just do wrestling stuff) but here is my review of this game. the game was captured using SD cables (can't do hdmi capture) I'd be interested in your feed back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJOy_F_p5UA

Phred
Beyond Newbie

Post by Phred » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:15 am

Whee, I got the beam sword slash.
Online is very difficult! Foes I face rarely let me get a move in edgewise.

Animefreak1325
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Animefreak1325 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:18 am

Phred wrote:Online is very difficult! Foes I face rarely let me get a move in edgewise.
I know! Don't you hate it?

I'm tired of sending rage messages to people.

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:18 pm

Animefreak1325 wrote:
Phred wrote:Online is very difficult! Foes I face rarely let me get a move in edgewise.

So you send rage messages after you lose eh? You realize people who did that were the laughing stock on gamefaqs right? At least in the RB 1 and 2 days. Can't people just lose gracefully? If you hate the tactics of those who beat you then get better at the game.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:05 pm

Saimaroimaru wrote:
Animefreak1325 wrote:

So you send rage messages after you lose eh? You realize people who did that were the laughing stock on gamefaqs right? At least in the RB 1 and 2 days. Can't people just lose gracefully? If you hate the tactics of those who beat you then get better at the game.
Or why not practice offline?

Gamers who lose whichever game, should just accept it. I've not played online for a while now, but I never sent rage messages (well, maybe one or two, just for a one time trolling PS3) or anything, tho those other douchebags who did used to send me, and then they'd be blocked/reported.

That is, on PS3.

On Xbox 360 I don't have to complain about raging, there were more cool conversations than trolls/kids cussing each other.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:21 pm

Just a heads up for those living in New Zealand (and probably in Australia), but there is also a special edition available that includes a DVD containing the first 6 episodes of DBZ Kai so it's good to see that they're getting that out there, but what's odd is that the first disc of Z Kai contains the first 7 episodes. I also wonder which score was used (probably Yamamoto) and if it was a region 4 Madman disc. It comes in a cardboard slip cover with a slightly different back cover (it has a French (I think) logo celebrating the 20th anniversary of something (I don't know what though :lol: ):

Phred
Beyond Newbie

Post by Phred » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:32 am

Speaking of reusing sound bytes from old games, does Gotenks still say "peanut butter jelly time" when he switches out.
That always cracks me up.

Animefreak1325
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Animefreak1325 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:05 am

Saimaroimaru wrote:
Animefreak1325 wrote:

I was joking, but ok.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:20 am

It's a shame that we probably won't have an OST with the tracks for the reanimated scenes, which are just the best tracks ever done for the franchise according to me. Epic and/or emotional in every scene. Are they not aware that they did an amazing job on which they could capitalize? Cause that's weird making such a great score for those scenes and not trying to make extra money on it while also pleasing fans with new music for the series. If they think it's not enough for a CD, they could release it with the Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans tracks from Raging Blast 2 on the same disc.

Other than that, I wonder what the DLC may be about (if it ever comes out in the end). I guess they would add extra items/events for the Hero Mode rather than new characters or more story chapters. Maybe they should just make a giant DLC update every year, cause that's what each game feels like to everyone. Wouldn't it buy them some time for development if they just released the "new game" as a DLC on the current game, not having to make the discs and boxes and everything? Well, I guess that wouldn't be on that episode cause it is quite controversial among fans so they'll try to make a whole new game, but if they reach an acclaimed quality again, I guess they should think about just making giant updates of the first game (if you think about the Tenkaichi series on PS2, every episode could have been a DLC update of the previous one).

Well, as confirmed in an interview I saw on one of the threads around, DLC seems unlikely in the end because they're already on a tight leash for the next game, so spending additionnal weeks on this one would probably be crazy. But I can't help but wonder what they were thinking of when they chose to implement the possibility of DLC...