Episode #0291 (04 March 2012)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0291 (04 March 2012)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:46 pm

Episode #0291 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes)
53:51; 96 kbps, mono; 37.2 MB

Episode #0291! VegettoEX, Hujio, and Herms discuss a pretty full week of news before moving into a biography and in-depth discussion of Minoru Maeda. The first name that comes to mind with our favorite franchise is obviously Akira Toriyama, but most fans (especially those of the anime) do not seem to realize that more often than not they are viewing something that Maeda touched or supervised in at least some capacity. Just who is this man, and what are some of his most important works? Referenced sites:
Hurray! Celebrate 291 podcast episodes with us as we in turn celebrate one of our favorite under-appreciated artists from the franchise.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Puto
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0291 (04 March 2012)

Post by Puto » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:06 pm

So, are you switching to the GT recap theme on the next episode?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:16 pm

Puto wrote:So, are you switching to the GT recap theme on the next episode?
It wouldn't be any fun if I answered these questions, so everyone can stop asking :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:45 pm

I'm a tad confused, what's the title for the guy that actually draws the characters in the anime? Doesn't that have nothing to do with the actual animation? Like, who's name do I pin point in DBZ episode 51's credits so I can never watch anything by him ever again?

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:59 pm

Akumaito Beam wrote:I'm a tad confused, what's the title for the guy that actually draws the characters in the anime? Doesn't that have nothing to do with the actual animation? Like, who's name do I pin point in DBZ episode 51's credits so I can never watch anything by him ever again?
You have to remember that there's not just "one guy" that draws the "characters" in the anime. It's usually done by a handful of "guys" (aka key animators), although they are all overseen by the animation supervisor. So, it sounds like you're asking about the animation supervisor, although I'm not quite sure because your questions are actually quite confusing. I don't even know what your second question is asking...

Anyway, as far as DragonBall Z episode 51 is concerned, you can put that on Ebisawa Yukio who was the animation supervisor for that episode. You'll see his credit at the very bottom of the respective episode page I linked to.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:09 pm

Confusion or no you more or less answered the most important question in my big dumb post;Ebisawa Yukio is the name to avoid. Thanks.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:52 pm

I really really loved this episode of the podcast! It would be awesome to get more like this. :)

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:00 pm

Oh man, I completely forgot to send this to Mike to post along with the podcast, but I must say he picked a pretty fitting screen shot to use! This is an image of Minoru Maeda (left) and Akira Toriyama (right) I cropped from a group interview photo that was featured in the "Dragon Ball Z Anime Special II" guide book. I just love it! They were so young back then... in 1991.

Innagadadavida wrote:I really really loved this episode of the podcast! It would be awesome to get more like this. :)
I'm glad you liked it! It's definitely something I'd like to continue doing, since I've got a bunch more bios ready to go, actually. :P
Last edited by Hujio on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:51 pm

Maeda's not my favorite per sé, but he really did make his mark in the franchise. His episodes almost always had the most key animators on them, too, so that must've really helped.

I'm looking forward to the eventual two episodes on Nakatsuru and Yamamuro, but I think I'd rather see a Hisada Kazuya episode more. That's just me, though. :P

Son Satan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Satan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:51 pm

Haven't listened to this episode yet, but I'll be sure to find the time soon! I love the information that comes from learning about the animation staff, and I've always liked Minoru's style the best, as far as Toriyama mimicry goes.

And, Hujio, when I saw the image you posted, I thought that those black boxes with the names were being held up, like a mugshot. :lol:

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:33 pm

Oh man, you didn`t play my audio E-mail :(
Oh well, still a great Episode!

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:16 pm

Awesome podcast (as always). Amazing topic. Now I'm really looking forward to a Nakatsuru episode :P

PS: Now, maybe, the Dragon Ball recap music for the next 153 podcasts and then GT's? :wink:

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:29 pm

There is no DB recap music. The original DB didn't have a consistent recap theme.

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:37 pm

Puto wrote:There is no DB recap music. The original DB didn't have a consistent recap theme.
You're right! I completely forgot about that! :lol: Thanks
There's probably a close enough instrumental of Makafushigi Daibouken that could serve as such :P (although, the GT one is pretty good, so that might be the best choice)

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:51 am

Ah, what a fitting topic for the 291st episode!

I must say that even without knowing the name attached to the animation style, I loved Maeda's works for the series. Pulling up the kanzentai episode guide and using Ctrl+F for "Maeda," I must say that there isn't an episode he's worked on that I was disappointed with. His shot of King Piccolo clenching his fist while on the throne plus King Piccolo firing a blast from his mouth killing the dragon pretty much defined my watching of that arc on Toonami.

Also noticed that he did Piccolo's infamous "YES, YES" episode where he fused with Nail in addition to the "Over 8000" episode. Quite the coinkydink that both those episodes would end up getting (in?)famous a couple years later. Add to that the episode where Gohan starts his training in the wilderness (the animation sequence where Gohan shivers when he finds a snake in his outfit defines his style for me) as well as making the scene where Dodoria kills the Elders early in the Namek arc and you've got only a handful of the number of episodes this guy's done that make me fanboy squee inside.

Quite a shame that Toriyama's changing style eventually led to him being phased out of the series. Would have definitely loved to see his takes on scenes from the Boo arc. I'm sure this'll just come off as a fan wanting more than already presented to him, but I personally feel that if Maeda wanted to, he should have continued animating the series in his own distinct way for later Z episodes rather than straight-up trying to mimic Toriyama's style. I will say that even though I love his stuff overall, you could tell that he was starting to waver in later episodes when it came to handling Toriyama's later stuff in animated form. Sure, sticking to your own style rather than the source material's may be off putting for some fans, but I feel like it's times like that that define a true animator from the rest of 'em. For example, as off as the character models were during the penultimate episode of the Naruto/Sasuke fight at the end of the "Rescue Sasuke" arc, it didn't matter to me since the animation itself was terrific.

Just my two cents after not having visited the forums in a while. Awesome podcast as always. Haven't listened in a while, but glad I tuned back in when I did :D.