Should there be a new series to fill in the blanks?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Should there be a new series to fill in the blanks?

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:18 am

Hey ya'll. I was just doing some random thinking and decided to share it here. What if there was a new Dragon Ball series (manga/animated) that filled in the blanks of the Dragon Ball series? For example, Vegeta's days as a kid, Goku's small adventures after DB but before Z, Goku's trainin gin the other world and how he accomplished his SSJ3 form, etc.

And if you want to forget the canon, even cover some before and after GT stuff. Goku's training with Uub in full detail, what happened to Goku after he went with Shenron, etc.

I mean there's endless possibilities with that, Trunks' future if Buu got released, some more backstory on Frieza and King Cold's father-son relationship and family.

Give it a simple name like 'Dragon Ball Chronicles'

Now I know some may dismiss this idea but if such a series existed, I would enjoy it.
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Should there be a new series to fill in the blanks?

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:37 am

I don't think there "should" be, but it'd be interesting to see.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:43 am

I dunno how well it'd do ratings wise, but I could get behind the idea of a show like that.

Every episode or so many episodes being a new fill-in story to the previous material of a sort, rather than continuing along in one place like we're used to for the DB franchise, would be a nice change of pace and run less risk of alienating people, if they did it right. It'd be a lot easier to dismiss if you didn't like it either.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:56 am

Despite how much it would backfire, considering side stories start out as interesting ideas and then fall flat, I wouldn't mind seeing it. I'd actually prefer to see something like that, but you saw how most of it was handled by filler in DB and Z. Not exactly helpful in seeing characters fleshed out.

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:39 pm

OzzyApu wrote:Despite how much it would backfire, considering side stories start out as interesting ideas and then fall flat, I wouldn't mind seeing it. I'd actually prefer to see something like that, but you saw how most of it was handled by filler in DB and Z. Not exactly helpful in seeing characters fleshed out.
How was most of it handled by filler? The only thing I remember them recapping as a side story/filling in the blanks was the Otherworld Tournament Arc.

I just guess I would love seeing more stories, even the Ginyu Force getting their own story. Like start out with a manga, each story getting its own mini-arc. 4-6 Chapters, which would be 2-3 episodes if animated.

I guess the Episode of Bardock is an example of this, though that's mostly viewed as a 'what-if'
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:41 pm

Hey, if Episode of Bardock worked out, why not? I would certainly vouch for that idea.

EDIT: And also, there is no way to say that it wouldn't be successful, considering the idea that we have only got re-releases over and over again since DBZ ended.
As an example, I believe that instead of recycling Dragonball into DBKai, they should have focused on filling out the existing story a bit more.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:25 pm

I think I might be the only person who wants this, but I actually want to know of the other people who searched for the Dragon Balls well before Goku and Bulma. Clearly someone had to have found them at one point for it to be such a well known legend.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:29 pm

I'd love it. Kind of like a DB Expanded Universe. As long as they don't make any plot holes, it would be awesome to watch.

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:43 pm

SRB2Unleashed wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:Despite how much it would backfire, considering side stories start out as interesting ideas and then fall flat, I wouldn't mind seeing it. I'd actually prefer to see something like that, but you saw how most of it was handled by filler in DB and Z. Not exactly helpful in seeing characters fleshed out.
How was most of it handled by filler? The only thing I remember them recapping as a side story/filling in the blanks was the Otherworld Tournament Arc.

I just guess I would love seeing more stories, even the Ginyu Force getting their own story. Like start out with a manga, each story getting its own mini-arc. 4-6 Chapters, which would be 2-3 episodes if animated.

I guess the Episode of Bardock is an example of this, though that's mostly viewed as a 'what-if'
There is plenty of filler in DB and Z that goes off on side stories to fill long periods. Take for instance the episodes in DB that showed Goku having episodic adventures. Tenshinhan and the crew also had a bit thrown in before the final saga of DB. These are all side stories that were just shown to fill in time and show what characters were doing that didn't have to do with the main plots.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:02 pm

Even if this was created, everyone will label it as non-canon, even if it doesn't have plot holes, like with Episode of Bardock. Major reason why I don't want anything any new series.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:05 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Even if this was created, everyone will label it as non-canon, even if it doesn't have plot holes, like with Episode of Bardock. Major reason why I don't want anything any new series.
This is one thing I don't understand. Even if something is considered non-canon it doesn't mean you can't enjoy it.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:10 pm

Grandpa Gohan was actually a Saiyan himself, Ghurd was best buddies with Tenshinhan's sister, KI is actually midichorians in your blood stream, Future Bulma invented the scouter. Poetry fuckin' everywhere!

That is literally the point where I stop following anything related to Dragon Ball ever again.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:43 am

Makaioshin wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Even if this was created, everyone will label it as non-canon, even if it doesn't have plot holes, like with Episode of Bardock. Major reason why I don't want anything any new series.
This is one thing I don't understand. Even if something is considered non-canon it doesn't mean you can't enjoy it.
I totally agree. People need to understand that saying one thing isn't canon to another isn't the same as saying it's bad or that you don't like it. Pointing out that something is anime-only or movie-only doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed. Canon really isn't a big deal outside of over analysing debates and theorizing--which aren't bad either, for that matter.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:45 am

I'd love for a backstory side-story on the Ginyu Force and how they were brought together.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:36 am

I'd love to see a new series centered around Planet Plant. What it was like before the Saiyans got there, explain the odd new race that was there in the new Bardock special (maybe reconcile them as the real indigenous species and show how the Tsufruians got there), show the Saiyan-Tsufruian conflict in its entirety, show Freeza's initial joining with Saiyans, etc. There'd be plenty of gaps to fill for material, there'd be a few familiar faces inevitably, but there'd be plenty of room for new characters.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:27 am

A series that takes place after GT and before the 100 time skip would be cool to see. As long they don't create a SSj5 or any other bullshit like that then I will watch it as long if it's good.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:27 am

I wouldn't be opposed to certain one-shot specials that showed different periods of the Dragon Ball timeline. Something along the lines of the Pokemon side-story episodes that each placed the episode's focus on a different person would work well for Dragon Ball, given it's huge cast of characters that Toriyama seems to have forgotten at times.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:11 am

Makaioshin wrote:
Don't say that to me. I don't give a fuck about what's canon and what's non-canon, I even enjoy GT. It just annoys me when they label something as non-canon for silly reasons. I know everyone has his own personal canon, but if a new series was to come, you know everyones reaction in the end. EoB was labeled by most people as non-canon because they didn't like the movie and the designs. DBO is labeled as non-canon by lots of people because it's a game. GT is labeled as non-canon by the 90% of the whole Dragon Ball fanbase because Vegeta has a mustache. My problem isn't that everyone labels them non-canon, my problem is that the fanbase is rarely pleased with anything new, so what's the point of getting new stuff? I enjoy them, but what about the rest of the fanbase?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:26 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:what's the point of getting new stuff? I enjoy them
If you enjoy them, and I enjoy them, then isn't that the point?
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:29 am

Cheers! :mrgreen:
Bussani wrote:
Makaioshin wrote:
I totally agree. People need to understand that saying one thing isn't canon to another isn't the same as saying it's bad or that you don't like it. Pointing out that something is anime-only or movie-only doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed. Canon really isn't a big deal outside of over analysing debates and theorizing--which aren't bad either, for that matter.
That's why I love Matsumoto who deliberately showed that "canon" the middle finger.
People just like to have everything ordered and labeled clearly, but frankly speaking I've never understood that attitude. Even in history the whole fun is working with unreliable narrators and mixed accounts with knowledge that we will never find ultimate truth. So I would be glad if DB emulated real life in this aspect and provide us new stories with different POVs.

I'd love to see something new about Sayians and Frieza but being realistic I don't even hope for that to happen. New episodes don't even try to fill any gaps or give a background, so unless the miracle happen there's a little chance that something like that will happen.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food