Sensing Super Saiyan 2 Vegeta on Earth

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

vegetaslegacy15
Beyond Newbie

Sensing Super Saiyan 2 Vegeta on Earth

Post by vegetaslegacy15 » Sat May 26, 2012 10:27 pm

I have a quick question. Why did none of the Z fighters sense/feel it when vegeta achieved SSJ2 on Earth? I mean its a lot of power you would think someone would feel the power.
Horgus wrote:NSSJ2O... Nitrogen Sulfur Shounen Jump Dioxide? :?
digireign wrote:I vote to call it "Super Cyan."
-zach

Dorexx
Regular

Re: quick question

Post by Dorexx » Sat May 26, 2012 10:42 pm

SSJ2 or SSJ?

Assuming he achieved SSJ2 in the unseen time period between the Cell and Buu Arc, it's unknown if and how the others reacted to it. If you're talking about his SSJ2 when he was under Babidi's spell, then they did each mention something about it. Goku was surprised, Gohan sensed it, and Piccolo was surprised too.

If you meant SSJ, then you can assume it happened far away in space. But it was still in an unseen time period.
酷签名

vegetaslegacy15
Beyond Newbie

Post by vegetaslegacy15 » Sat May 26, 2012 10:50 pm

I mean SSJ2. IT just seems like everyone was surprised when he went SSJ2 after being possessed by Babidi. But he achieved SSJ2 during the seven year peace.
-zach

Dorexx
Regular

Post by Dorexx » Sat May 26, 2012 11:09 pm

Did he?

Doesn't their reactions hint that he didn't? Especially Piccolo's.
酷签名

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat May 26, 2012 11:43 pm

Dorexx wrote:Did he?
Multiple guides say he did, and there are lines in the manga people take as proof of it (although they may be open to interpretation).

Really, though, this question could be asked at quite a few points. You'd think if Piccolo and Gohan knew how strong Goku was meant to be when he faced #19, everyone else on Earth must have picked up on it as well, but apparently they didn't. There's also no indication that Vegeta went into space in the manga, so while it's a decent explanation, it could potentially be another example.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun May 27, 2012 12:48 am

I'm pretty sure Vegeta achieved Super Saiyan 2 during the peace interim. When Goku flashed his Super Saiyan 2 power for a split second to destroy Yakon, Vegeta acknowledged Goku doing what he had done, surpassing the Super Saiyan wall. Also Vegeta not being overly surprise must suggest that it's no big deal because he had done it as well.

Vegeta going Super Saiyan the first time (because I saw it in the anime before the manga) I always assumed it was somewhere in space (which was a stupid ass story, a meteor defeated him, while back in the day he could easily destroy a planet). I have no idea how it actually happened.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Sun May 27, 2012 1:51 am

DarkPrince_92 wrote:I'm pretty sure Vegeta achieved Super Saiyan 2 during the peace interim. When Goku flashed his Super Saiyan 2 power for a split second to destroy Yakon, Vegeta acknowledged Goku doing what he had done, surpassing the Super Saiyan wall. Also Vegeta not being overly surprise must suggest that it's no big deal because he had done it as well.
I can back this up. It's right after they're back in the ship that Vegeta thinks to himself over Goku surpassing SSJ. He'd know it from a short spark like that, so the reason that no one says anything about Vegeta doing the same is a little bit of a "?".

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun May 27, 2012 11:45 am

I think they just weren't paying attention. If not that, perhaps the gravity room blocks out certain exhibitions of ki.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun May 27, 2012 8:20 pm

I think this question is sort of related: how on Earth did Trunks think Vegeta didn't know that he'd (supposedly) surpassed him? They were the only two people in a blank world. How could you miss it? Did he do it while Vegeta was asleep?

Hey, maybe everyone was asleep when Vegeta became a Super Saiyan 2!
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

vegetaslegacy15
Beyond Newbie

Post by vegetaslegacy15 » Mon May 28, 2012 12:51 am

Bussani wrote:I think this question is sort of related: how on Earth did Trunks think Vegeta didn't know that he'd (supposedly) surpassed him? They were the only two people in a blank world. How could you miss it? Did he do it while Vegeta was asleep?

Exactly! It makes no sense. Maybe Trunks was very very far away from him when he broke the wall to Super Saiyan-jin third grade? Or maybe Vegeta did not care to much and simply didn't mention anything to him next time he saw him.
-zach

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon May 28, 2012 1:04 am

Maybe Trunks unlocked it without actually transforming into it. Like after training in Grade 2, he knew Grade 3 was there. Upon transforming into Grade 2 for the first time in front of Gohan, Goku could immediately jump to Grade 3.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon May 28, 2012 3:07 am

I didn't really get the feeling that they were surprised at Vegeta having achieved SSJ2 (at least, not from what I remember) . The only part you could interpret that way was when Piccolo comments on his power, but again, he didn't seem particulary surprised, so I'd say it's more like a confirmation of something he might have suspected.
It might have been hinted at when Vegeta tells Gohan that he wants to fight him at the tournament (though he does also comment on Gohan having grown weaker die to lack of training as an advantage, so there is that too)

For me, neither Vegeta nor Gohan not knowing that Trunks and Goten could o SSJ seems way harder to explain.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Mon May 28, 2012 3:23 am

Bussani wrote:I think this question is sort of related: how on Earth did Trunks think Vegeta didn't know that he'd (supposedly) surpassed him? They were the only two people in a blank world. How could you miss it? Did he do it while Vegeta was asleep?

Why Tenshinhan was surprised by Goku power as a Super Saiyan against No.19 if he has been training on Earth with that form for 3 years? Why only Piccolo and Gohan realized there was something wrong with Goku against No.19? How nobody knew Vegeta could also transform in Super Saiyan? And how Tenshinhan didn't realize Piccolo was around the level of a Super Saiyan? Why would Vegeta not know of Trunks' grade III? And why Trunks not know that Vegeta also achieved that form? What about Piccolo surprise at Vegeta in Super Saiyan 2 form? If even at the Kaioshin planet they can sense Goku's Ki as a Super Saiyan 3, everyone on Earth (and the whole universe) should know about that form, right?
Last edited by Fox666 on Mon May 28, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Mon May 28, 2012 12:45 pm

Was he surprised at Vegeta turning SSJ2, or was it more surprise at how powerful he was? Not all SSJ2's are equal, after all.

Super Vegetto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Super Vegetto » Mon May 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Why didnt no one senced kids in ssj form.

Reason is because they are born SSJ. They have SSJ form as natural form as far i can see so i belive they are FPSSJ.

No on senced Gotens ki because he didnt actuly powered up to 50x when he tranformed. Probably it only comed naturaly and he couldnt see diffrence. Same happend to Trunks.

Later Trunks in gravity chamber actuly tranforms with incrise so Vegeta is wondering that he didnt senced his ki before.

Basicly they can tranform and acces power by will and not automaticly 50x. Btw i belive that saiyans didnt even tryed to get used to SSJ form before so until time chamber they used SSJ as normal incrise like always.

No one sencing Vegeta SSJ2 is probably because Vegeta was on some other planet. No other explanation for him.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon May 28, 2012 2:53 pm

LiamKav wrote:Was he surprised at Vegeta turning SSJ2, or was it more surprise at how powerful he was? Not all SSJ2's are equal, after all.
Weren't those two equal at SSJ2? I guess Goku thought he powered up enough to handle Vegeta, but then Vegeta dished out the same amount of power. Goku's thought's: "Goddammit... gonna be a long one..."
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Mon May 28, 2012 5:19 pm

LiamKav wrote:Was he surprised at Vegeta turning SSJ2, or was it more surprise at how powerful he was? Not all SSJ2's are equal, after all.
Chapter: 465 (DBZ 271), P2.3
Context: as Vegeta fights Boo
Piccolo: “He’s already surpassed Super Saiyan as well…This is tremendous power…Perhaps even greater than Gohan’s when he fought Cell…”

hleV
Banned

Re: Sensing Super Saiyan 2 Vegeta on Earth

Post by hleV » Mon May 28, 2012 5:32 pm

I guess nobody really paid attention to sudden ki explosions (SSJ/SSJ2) at a time of peace. I don't think it catches up to them automatically, unless it's a power as great as SSJ3 Goku's.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Mon May 28, 2012 6:12 pm

But they could sense Freeza's Ki from space.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Mon May 28, 2012 7:01 pm

Maybe they weren't surprised by Vegeta going SSJ2, but rather his strength. If you think about it Babidi's spell had increased Vegeta's power to put him on par with Goku so it wasn't a surprise that he turned SSJ2 but rather the strength he had when he transformed.