How would Nappa & Vegeta have knowledge of the Namekians?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

How would Nappa & Vegeta have knowledge of the Namekians?

Post by Son_Gohan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:05 am

Since the 2 of them were always sent off to invade planets, I couldn't imagine them being briefed about those sort of things, much less knowing how they would look like.

As far as I can tell, the planet Namek was never really taken notice by Freeza's empire, prior to his interest in the Dragon Balls.

Is it possible that other Namekians were sent away from the planet during its climate crisis like Kami was; became rogue like "Lord Slug", or even joined Freeza's forces?

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Re: How would Nappa & Vegeta have knowledge of the Namekians

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:04 am

Going to take the simple route, much like I did with Radditz remembering Goku, and just say that maybe they've heard of Namek offhand? Might be a Funi dub line, but recall Freeza remarking in his fight with Nail that his prior information on Namekians never included regeneration. Which implies prior information in Freeza's group exists.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by In Brightest Day » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:37 am

Is it possible that other Namekians were sent away from the planet during its climate crisis like Kami was; became rogue like "Lord Slug", or even joined Freeza's forces?
That's an interesting theory and certainly possible. Not that this necessarily invalidates that theory, I agree with BlazingFiddlesticks. Vegeta and Nappa would have just heard about them traveling around. The universe is a small place.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:26 am

You know, it is strange that Nappa recognizes Piccolo as Namekian just by looking at him, and Vegeta agrees with him. Maybe they have seen at least one Namekian before Piccolo in person.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Deep Thought
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deep Thought » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:50 am

My theory is that Freeza and his cohorts (which, by extension, would include Vegeta and Nappa) discovered and surveyed Namek and its inhabitants from space but rejected it or gave it very little mind because the planet was a desolate ball of shit and there would be no "clientele" to resell the planet to, so they ignored it. This is why Freeza and his men knew what and where Namek was and how he was able to get there instantly.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:51 am

Not only that, but as far as the Latin Dub goes, the Namekians knew about the Saiyans in turn too. I don't remember right now who said it, maybe Guru or another elder. He identified them as relentless warriors or something along the lines...

I agree with Deep Thought that the planet didn't have any value (I believe Frieza even states it) and that's why they had been spared so far.

EDIT: Yeah, just checked.
Guru: That's one of Katkas' children! Incredible! I didn't think he'd make it. He belongs to the Dragon Tribe. He was a genius in making Dragon Balls. Ah yes! How did he die?

Krillin: He was killed by the Saiya-jin here, Vegita. ((lol nop, Nappa))

Guru: By a Saiyajin? They're very strong but the child was one ofthe strongest of the tribe. Was the Saiyajin who killed him a... Super Saiyajin?

Krillin: EH? A Super what?
lol Guru even knows about the Super Saiyans.
Last edited by soulnova on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:59 am

Yeah, the Great Elder knew about the legend of the Super Saiyan.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:55 pm

I like to think that the planet of strong guys who Raditz was wanting Goku's help to conquer was in fact Namek, and that's why Vegeta and Nappa recognized Piccolo as Namekian.
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Might be a Funi dub line, but recall Freeza remarking in his fight with Nail that his prior information on Namekians never included regeneration. Which implies prior information in Freeza's group exists.
Yeah, that's a dub line.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:08 pm

It's interesting how Nappa and Vegeta were able to immediately recognize him by race, but not Raditz.

You would think that the three stuck together a lot after Planet Vegeta's destruction. Especially if we were to presume Namek were their next target, it seems odd that such a fact would get past him.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:33 pm

Herms wrote:I like to think that the planet of strong guys who Raditz was wanting Goku's help to conquer was in fact Namek, and that's why Vegeta and Nappa recognized Piccolo as Namekian.
If so, that would be one heck of a coincidence. Raditz (who didn't seem to recognize Piccolo as a Namekian) being killed...by a member of the same race he was planning to conquer.

But if that was the case, surely Vegeta and Nappa would've at least said something other than, "Oh hey, so this guy's a Namekian."

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:51 pm

Didn't Vegeta also say he'd heard that Namekians had special mystical powers, or something along those lines? It seems like people not from Earth have knowledge about other planets and races. Come to think of it, we know the Namekians have been around for a long, long time (since Elder Kaioshin talked to them before being sealed), and we know that they had spaceships at one point, so it's not that strange that they might be known around the universe.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:41 pm

Herms wrote:I like to think that the planet of strong guys who Raditz was wanting Goku's help to conquer was in fact Namek, and that's why Vegeta and Nappa recognized Piccolo as Namekian.
I now have something to add to my Live Action Movie notes. (Don't worry, the only idea in there that's actually mine is how the mafuuba works. :P )

Also, I missed the c in fact at first, and was scrolling up, so assumed it was a comment on a specific Fat Namek(ian).

I was about to make the above idea my official fanon, then someone had to go and ruin it by bring up facts from the series. Elder Kaioshin talking to the Namekians leaves plenty of time for them to become known across the universe.
(Although, millions of years ago? No evolution? Not just a little?)
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:06 pm

I think it's another plot hole or they could have heard stories about Planet Namek from other alien races in the galaxy. Which could be why they knew about the Dragon Balls on Planet Namek.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:34 pm

Guess Raditz happened to not know about Namekians or not care about them enough to recognize Piccolo as one.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:54 pm

Still, the big mystery that remains is them actually seeing a Namekian with their own eyes before.

I suppose it's possible that such information could've been collected of the Namekians by Freeza before then, which would include an actual image of them. Though there seemed to be a few other things that weren't given any explanation yet they had knowledge of, such as somehow knowing when a full moon was supposed to set on Earth and planning their arrival to meet it.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:48 am

Well, the Saiyans must have known that Earth had a moon to send Goku there to begin with. Freeza's guys must have information on a lot of places.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Deep Thought
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deep Thought » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:43 am

Here's what the scenes in volumes 2 and 3 (Viz edition) say.

Nappa: "He's a Namekian..."

Vegeta: "Looks like it... not so strange that Raditz was beaten then..."

Vegeta: "They say these slimy Namek gastropod guys possess strange powers even beyond their extraordinary fighting abilities... even sorcery. You're the one who made those Dragon Balls... aren't you?!"

Vegeta: "I never believed the legend of the Namekian power spheres... but if Kakarrot's really returned from the dead, then it's true!! That means there must be more balls on this fool's home planet. A little rampage through Namek would be a lovely way to wind down after the destruction of Earth, hmm?"

These lines, particularly their wording, insinuates that Vegeta's knowledge of Namekians extends far beyond "they are these green guys." The use of the word "legend" and the use of the phrase "They say these..." insinuates the he heard it from a secondary source. He could have inferred it from Raditz's conversation, but that's a stretch:

Piccolo: "Ass. Son Goku will not be dead for long."

Raditz: "He... What... !?"

Piccolo: "The seven Dragon Balls, my friend... They can grant any wish. They can even bring the dead back to life."

That's a lot to assume that Vegeta would even assume that Piccolo is the creator of the Dragon Balls, let alone that his entire race have magical abilities to be able to create these Dragon Balls, and that another set of them could exist on Namek.