If Battle of Gods is successful

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

If Battle of Gods is successful

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:34 am

If Battle of Gods is successful then what do you think will happen next? Do you think Toei will make new DBZ movies once every year or two? It seem like after the 2008 Jump Special, we got more animated Dragon Ball stuff like Kai, Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans remake and Episode of Bardock. I think a new series would be cool, but I doubt we will see another one anytime soon since Kai is getting the Buu saga.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: If Battle of Gods is successful

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:45 am

If the film does very well we could probably see a new film every other year. With the defeat of Kai still fresh in their minds and numerous animated series' already in production I don't think we'll see a new series for a while. The earliest I would expect a new series is 2014, when the Dragon Ball comic turns thirty.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:11 am

I hope that this movie takes off and we get more new movies and little specials here and there. 2013 is going to be great as it is though :D
Battle of the Gods
Boo Saga for Kai
maybe Funimation will release The Movies or the original Dragonball Dragon-boxes? I'm sure there's more, I'm just not thinking about it. :P My only hope is that Funimation does end up dubbing ''Battle of the Gods''
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:02 am

I guess they could do a movie that also takes before #17 & #18 or after the Cell games. A movie that takes place after GT but before Heroes Legacy would be cool to see, but I doubt it will happen given how GT is unpopular in Japan.
She/Her

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:05 am

I want a movie taking place between the 23rd TB and Raditz's arrival... Preferably leaving Goku out of the picture.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:34 am

I won't mind seeing that happening. They could try to do a movie based on what if events. It could be a Twilight Zone style movie where the movie has three parts that deals with different what if's.
She/Her

Titan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Titan » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:13 am

A new series would be perfect, but, the approach would have to be different.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:19 am

I can't see it happening but I would love to revisit the future timeline, maybe see Future Trunks taking on a time traveling enemy.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:48 am

I'd like to see a special about Boo's backstory: his creation, the annihilation of the Kaiō-Shin, him getting sealed by Bibbidi in the ball, etc.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:00 am

If it does well, I can sort of see us getting a new one or special every so many years. Like...we....kinda, technically, sorta, already have been. Huh. Maybe that wouldn't be that different. Well, hopefully if this does well, they'd realize it was because they did better work on it, and take more care with future installments, anyway.

I don't really see us getting a new series out of it though. What I'd want best in one, or for this to happen in the new specials, is to get one every so often that details the backstory of a character that never got one really, like a special on Yamucha's past, one on Kuririn's, and so on.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:10 am

Honestly, I'd rather have the franchise take a break for a while. With the voice actors getting older and junk I kinda want this movie, or another soon to follow, to be a last hurrah. Take a break, reintroduce the franchise to everyone with a new work starring the replacements.

The only problem with that is if the movie is successful then there's no chance of that happening. With that in mind, a bit more realistic thought would be for the franchise to go the Lupin III route, have a new special here or there. Maybe a new series afterwards.

But this is all related to the animation side. If this somehow sparks an interest in Toriyama to do more DB related comics I would love for him to do that. No full blown series, but a special here or there. I also hope that these specials and the animated ones will not follow the tired movie formula. Let's hang out with Boo and Satan, spend a day on God's tower, see what Upa is up to, or anything else.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:50 pm

AgitoZ wrote:Honestly, I'd rather have the franchise take a break for a while.
Don't you think that the DB franchise had a break already before 2008? Before the 2008 Jump Special, we never got much DB related stuff other then video games, new DVD's and toy merchandise. Those are cool and all, but they can't hold off everyone forever since most fans are not into collecting.
She/Her

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:08 pm

I would love new movies, or something like Dragon Ball: Brotherhood. :3
I mean, if they went back and re-did the show without filler, and with a good, accurate art style, I'd be so happy. ^.^
And maybe a re-orchestrated Kikuchi score. :D
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:00 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Don't you think that the DB franchise had a break already before 2008? Before the 2008 Jump Special, we never got much DB related stuff other then video games, new DVD's and toy merchandise. Those are cool and all, but they can't hold off everyone forever since most fans are not into collecting.
No, I don't. A ton of merchandise, i.e. the thing that keeps the franchise alive, was still being released. They apparently held off a lot people since IIRC the best sales from the franchise were in 2007.

Now, let's say I did agree with you. What does that matter? It's been six years, the franchise can have another.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:34 pm

I still want either a new OVA or TV series that focuses on different stories of Dragon Ball outside of the main story.

DB Chronicles man :lol:

I mean focuses small story arcs on new characters or old characters (ex. story arc Ginyu Force uniting, story arc on a new Saiyan struggling with his/her life as a soldier for Freeza leading up the Saiyan genocide)

Focus on the other aspects on DB life. Life on New or Old Namek.

So many possibilities with those routes.
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:26 pm

I finally want an animation where either Gogeta or Vegetto go all out for once and fight as if there were no tomorrow.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:21 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Don't you think that the DB franchise had a break already before 2008? Before the 2008 Jump Special, we never got much DB related stuff other then video games, new DVD's and toy merchandise.
That's not dead, though, that's evergreen. That's basically doing what Star Wars has been doing for fifty years now (Granted, Star Wars has gotten major new content, but it also has a greater capacity for major new content). I would think, to insert my thoughts, that Agito thinks the series needs something closer to a hiatus; the same way it did in Japan when GT ended and Dragon Ball had finally burnt itself out after going ten years straight. At this point I think the Western fandom, least as far as I've seen in the States, is feeling a similar sense of drag, even with all the new material. Amazing as Dragon Ball's continue relevance is, if the series is ultimately and irrevocably finished, barring Shusehia ordering a continuation not by Toriyama, that puts a very fundamental cap on what more can be done with it. It always has.

That said, I'm not opposed to getting new stuff like Battle of Gods, not at all, I'm excited for this, but only if it's paced in such a way that Dragon Ball doesn't pretend it's new again. As much good as Kai did, we know how those efforts turn out.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:52 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Amazing as Dragon Ball's continue relevance is, if the series is ultimately and irrevocably finished, barring Shusehia ordering a continuation not by Toriyama, that puts a very fundamental cap on what more can be done with it. It always has.
That is, assuming it remains the singular, author-driven story it has for the past twenty-some years.

Personally, I wouldn't mind it taking on the looser approach of a large fiction-based franchise. And to that effect, I'd welcome an anime or manga remake or reinterpretation.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:24 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:
Don't you think that the DB franchise had a break already before 2008? Before the 2008 Jump Special, we never got much DB related stuff other then video games, new DVD's and toy merchandise.
That's not dead, though, that's evergreen. That's basically doing what Star Wars has been doing for fifty years now (Granted, Star Wars has gotten major new content, but it also has a greater capacity for major new content).
Fifty years? I think you mean Star Trek, which turns fifty in 2016. :P Star Wars just turned thirty-five this year. :P
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

gohan2k
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan2k » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:34 pm

AgitoZ wrote:Honestly, I'd rather have the franchise take a break for a while. With the voice actors getting older and junk I kinda want this movie, or another soon to follow, to be a last hurrah. Take a break, reintroduce the franchise to everyone with a new work starring the replacements.
Yeah I agree with the point of the voice actors are getting quite old now (naturally this isn't a problem as much for the American version but is definitely a major one for the Japanese).

For now I'd like to see a couple more movies but if they want to keep the series going long-term they're going to have to expand the universe a lot more. With the way the Dragonball story is structured (in a linear time line) there's only a finite amount of stories you could tell with the current cast.

Star Wars, for example, expanded to move beyond the core characters of the original trilogy, admittedly with mixed results, but as a result the franchises life has been extended indefinitely.

Dragonball on the other hand is very tied to Goku and co which does severely limit its potential lifespan. Now most of the world has seen the original story it will just eventually die off unless we start seeing a wider variety of characters.

Episode of Bardock is probably the first example of the universe expanding but we'd need to see a new TV series, or series of movies based on a different set of characters for the lifespan of the series to continue on.
[quote="TripleRach"]I don't like Vegeta much. He spends most of the series as a whiny bitch.[/quote]