Daizenshuu EX DB wiki...again

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dantman

Re: Daizenshuu EX DB wiki...again

Post by dantman » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:36 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Of course, my worry is that people will think Kanzenshuu is (just) a wiki, just like people currently think Kanzenshuu is a forum, just like people currently think Kanzenshuu is a podcast. I figure the more we add as extensions of the site, the less that will be a problem...? ^^;;
Considered trying to theme a universal header into each one of the sites? If each one of the sites has a similar header, each linking to the other sites in the same format. Instead of linking in different ways (right now from the forum, unless you consciously look for it you won't even realize there is a link back to the main site). Then it might help convey having multiple sites all part of one.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:36 pm

Oh, totally. Something I'd like to do. That requires effort. And electricity. And time. And beer.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:36 am

Definitely beer. I don't think I've told anyone but I was preparing an in-universe website before the kanzentai-daizenshuu fusion, to compliment and expand on all the info on the sites and forums, of course it's useless now but I'm preparing the few pages I've done for the wiki. I'm nearly finished with Piccolo and I want to show you guys so I can have and opinion; it's mostly just information and it's not formated like a wiki, so I'll leave that for someone else. Apart from Piccolo, i've got many a few others half done.

So, should I show it and have an opinion from you guys?

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:23 am

I'm gonna tell you right now this website is gonna be so big if this wiki surpasses the Dragon Ball Wiki in popularity, and I think it will because it isn't going to suck.

Here's an idea I want to propose though. I think we should note the stance on canon for each page, like below the picture with all the information listed we'll have like "Canon: Manga" or "Canon: Anime" or whatever it exists in. And for Manga things the picture will be the one that best represents it in the manga, preferably in full color. I just think this will make it seem much more official and organized than the DBW and I know it would be useful to forums that like debating with the characters and keeping track of what was exclusive to certain media.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:15 am

Well of course it's important to note which events happen where if they don't coexist in other media, but we're not about to push any particular idea of canonicity on anyone. That's not our place to do.

Also, we don't care.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:37 pm

Yeah, I think it's better to just always make it clear where each bit of information is from, and let readers decide if they consider that "canon" or not.

For pictures, I'm definitely in favor of using manga images as the default, with anime screenshots only to illustrate anime-stuff, the different anime art styles, etc. Using mainly manga images would be an obvious way to visually set our wiki apart from the DB wikis (and pretty much every other DB site). Plus, I think things typically look better in the manga.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:43 pm

On top of that, DB Wikia likes to flood the page with as many images as it can, all of varying terrible quality. I mean, the Dende article doesn't need an image of every different look he has had and which arcs he was in, does it? And if so, you could probably make it a lot neater with an image gallery of sorts, anyway.

(just noticed there is an image gallery over there, which kind of makes all the clutter in the main article pointless)
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:47 pm

Herms wrote:Yeah, I think it's better to just always make it clear where each bit of information is from, and let readers decide if they consider that "canon" or not.

For pictures, I'm definitely in favor of using manga images as the default, with anime screenshots only to illustrate anime-stuff, the different anime art styles, etc. Using mainly manga images would be an obvious way to visually set our wiki apart from the DB wikis (and pretty much every other DB site). Plus, I think things typically look better in the manga.
I agree with using the manga pictures as the default, although it may look jarring when an article covers both manga and anime content.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:59 pm

There's the approach the TF Wiki takes with the US/UK comics. Quick background... in the UK, the original monthly US Transformers comic strip was released weekly. It had about half the pages. As a result, it quickly ripped through the US stuff and needed to kill time waiting for more stuff to be written. This led to them writing their own stuff that happened in and around the US stuff. It wasn't "filler", really, so much as stories that tended to use characters not being touched in the main series, but it's similar enough that I think it can be used as a comparison. Anyway, what TF Wiki does is it puts the UK stuff in italics in amoungst the main synposis. So...
Optimus Prime decided that he'd had enough, and challenged Megatron to a dual to finish their war once and for all (US Issue #23)

Before the fight, Prime decided to order a pizza, and told Hot Rod to go and collect it. He ate it, and it was yummy. (UK issue #212)

Prime left to go and fight Megatron. (US issue #24)

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:24 pm

Herms wrote:Yeah, I think it's better to just always make it clear where each bit of information is from, and let readers decide if they consider that "canon" or not.

Yeah this is what I was trying to say. I think its important what media something comes from because some people aren't interested in filler so organizing it this way is important. Character biographies should also be organized this way as well, like their manga bio should come first, and then anime exclusive details should be separate. DB is weird in that it doesn't have a specified canon, but it has been told in different ways so its important to organize it based on that.

Also yeah, like the page for Cell should have the best picture of him in his perfect form from the manga, the art in the anime is pretty inconsistent and this will help make it look more official than the DBW imo.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:45 pm

Are you guys working on this wiki

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:59 pm

If we do add something related to canon then we can add a section to the DBZ movies talking about how the movie is most likely not canon or possible canon to the timeline. TV Nihon's wiki for the Kamen Rider movies does a similar thing and the Kamen Rider franchise has no official canon neither.

http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/OOO,_Den-O ... ders#Canon
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:52 am

I don't think we should follow TV-Nihon's example. Personally, I think we should distance ourselves from the idea of canon as much as possible. It's just too damn subjective.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:58 am

Bussani wrote:I don't think we should follow TV-Nihon's example. Personally, I think we should distance ourselves from the idea of canon as much as possible. It's just too damn subjective.
Indeed.

If anything should be added, it should just be a short section avoiding the use of "canon". Perhaps "continuity" or "inconsistencies with the main storyline", but it's really not vital for an encyclopedia.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:50 am

There should be a page about DB canon, explaining how it's not really existant. It could expand on different timelines, histories, "truth to the manga", etc., though.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:50 pm

Maybe in the profile box (the info box at the top right of each page) there could be a little note whether or note its contained in the manga, but I don't think we need a dedicated section on every page. Still I think with a universe as inconsistent as the Dragon Ball universe, the encyclopedia should focus on consistency to an extent, one of the purposes of a wiki is to make sense of the series.

DanTheBib
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DanTheBib » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:15 pm

Nex Carnifex wrote:Maybe in the profile box (the info box at the top right of each page) there could be a little note whether or note its contained in the manga, but I don't think we need a dedicated section on every page. Still I think with a universe as inconsistent as the Dragon Ball universe, the encyclopedia should focus on consistency to an extent, one of the purposes of a wiki is to make sense of the series.
I think whether or not a certain person is "anime only" or whatever, would be cleared up in the opening paragraph of the wiki. I don't think it needs to be specified in the profile box.
"Well, I guess there is retarded people out there that has serious complains." - Margarita.

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:35 pm

Or rather in the profile box like with Naruto wiki just like their manga and or anime debut. Movies would following under anime unless you want that as a category as well. If they don't have a manga or anime debut then leave it blank.

Another thing is talk pages for discussing content changes on pages. Maybe instead we can create a sub-forum just for that, wiki discussion. It can break down into announcements, wiki policy, page discussions, and whatever else is needed.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:30 pm

DanTheBib wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:Maybe in the profile box (the info box at the top right of each page) there could be a little note whether or note its contained in the manga, but I don't think we need a dedicated section on every page. Still I think with a universe as inconsistent as the Dragon Ball universe, the encyclopedia should focus on consistency to an extent, one of the purposes of a wiki is to make sense of the series.
I think whether or not a certain person is "anime only" or whatever, would be cleared up in the opening paragraph of the wiki. I don't think it needs to be specified in the profile box.
That would be even more redundant and unorganized, I agree with having it like the Naruto wiki.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:41 am

We really should get this up, the longer this isn't a thing the harder its gonna be to catch up to the Dragon Ball Wiki in content, and with the new movie coming out and Mr. Toriyama stating that he might continue the series if it does well, we're going to want it as fleshed out as possible so we can focus on new content. Its said "coming soon" for like years...