How did the re-cast characters turn out (in your opinion)?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Re: How did the re-cast characters turn out (in your opinion

Post by matt0044 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:47 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: According to her on Facebook, she had been getting in to auditions as recently as a year or two ago, but I don't think anything has ever come of it.
That's nice to know.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:37 pm

Ghurd: I really didn't see the point of recasting Ghurd for Kai, Bill Townsley's voice was a great fit for Guldo and it's not like he had too many roles. At least we got a great new voice for him, I like how Greg Ayers gives Ghurd that "loser of the Ginyu Force" feel to his performance.

Jheese: This was one of my favorite new voices from the Kai dub, I really like Chris Sabat as Jheese and think his performance would have been even better then his one in the Z dub if he had returned but Jason Liebrecht is just as good if not better in some aspects he shows Jheese's cocky and vain side while showing what a suck up he is to Ginyu while still sounding sinister.

Butta: Both voices were good they get Butta's cocky attitude across fine. I suppose Mignogna's has a more over the top vibe which works for Butta but both voices are still good.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:50 pm

Gohan and Freeza were massive improvements to the point or near awe-inspiration. The rest are superior to their predecessors simply on account of performing within a mostly accurate script.

mattymoron
Beyond Newbie

Post by mattymoron » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:28 am

Ok, so I've watched some more of my Season 1 set and I've got a few more I'd like to comment on:

Popo: Meh. I don't really reckon it's an improvement, but it isn't any worse?

Dr. Briefs: Not a fan of the re-cast at all. I know it's a tiny part, but I greatly preferred the old voice. He actually sounded like an old man before.

Zarbon: Feels kind of forced. Liked Sabat's better.

Dodoria: Meh. Pretty indifferent.

Freeza: I never had a problem with Young's Freeza, but this new VA is really something. I really like it.

Dende: Did he get re-cast? I've only heard him say like one sentence, so I can't be sure...

Majin Steve
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Steve » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:34 pm

At least in this version I dont have to hear some random weird-ass Jew voice for Mez.

Was it cus they thought he looked like an accountant or something?

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:44 pm

mattymoron wrote:Dende: Did he get re-cast? I've only heard him say like one sentence, so I can't be sure...
Maxey Whitehead, who voiced Alphonse in Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, replaced Laura Bailey as Dende. Laura Bailey still has a cameo as kid Vegeta during Goku's vision from the fight with Freeza.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:31 pm

Bulma (Monica Rial) - FINALLY EFFORT!! HONEST TO GOD EFFORT!!!! :cry:

Butta - Like it but I never had a problem in particular with the original.

Freeza - Now one less generation can suffer the mindfuck.

Gohan - Another welcomed change, but Stephanie Nadoley's Gohan became more tolerable to me in her most recent roles.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:44 am

Majin Steve wrote:At least in this version I dont have to hear some random weird-ass Jew voice for Mez.

Woah man, seriously? That was a little uncalled for.

Anyway, I loved the new voices, hell for me it was one of the major selling points. The only actress I'm still not entirely used to is Monica Rial. She's a good Bulma don't get me wrong but I still hear Tiffany Vollmer's voice in my head when I think of the character so it still catches me by surprise. Also, Colleen Clinkenbeard is an amazing Gohan but I don't know if I like her as a young Goku. Say what you will about her Cell Gohan, but Stephanie Nadolny hit it out of the park with Goku in Dragonball.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:27 pm

Bulma: Volmar was not very good, in my opinion. I feel a lot more sincerity from Rial. Still not perfect, but much better in my eyes.

Oolong: Not even sure why they re-casted. Especially sad because I really wanted Massey to play Recoome.

Gohan: A million times better. Nadolny was awful, in my opinion. Absolutely, positively bad for Gohan. Decent for Goku, though. Still like Colleen as him more though.

Narrator: New guy's freakin' perfect. Wish he would have played Kaio too, would have killed.

Dr. Brief: LOVE HIM. I don't know why but he's just freakin' perfect to me.

Popo/Turtle/Chiaotzu/Pu'er: Eh, they're fine.

The Grand Elder: Amazing. Positively amazing. Again, wish this guy had played Kaio.

Zarbon: Positively perfect. Better than that forced fey voice Sabat would do.

Ginyu Force: I like R. Elliot as Ginyu, though my favorite is still Newman. Liebrecht as Jeice was... not great. But not necessarily bad either. Filet Mignon as Burter was good, I can dig it. Same with Greg Ayers as Guldo. Shame Recoome never got recast with Brian Massey like I wanted.

Freeza: Young played Genkai in Yu Yu Hakusho with the same voice she used for Freeza. That is mind-breakingly terrible. Ayers, on the other hand, is like coming out of a freezing storm, nearly frostbitten and about to pass out, into a warm, welcoming cabin with hot cocoa, blankets, and a supermodel of your preferred gender asking to help you get comfortable.

King Cold: I liked this guy actually. A lot. Grew on me pretty quickly.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Majin Steve
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Steve » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:42 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:
Majin Steve wrote:At least in this version I dont have to hear some random weird-ass Jew voice for Mez.

Woah man, seriously? That was a little uncalled for.
How is expressing distate at their stereotyping uncalled for?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:47 pm

Your definition of "expressing distaste at someone else's stereotyping" seems to be "act with the same immaturity of said stereotyping without revealing that I'm trying to be ironic about it", which is... well... just being a jerk about it because it's completely unclear.

For example, there's a lot to be said about FUNimation's portrayal of some of the black characters in the series, but I would never in a million years think about explaining them by using racial slurs. Because that would just be a dick move. Which is pretty unacceptable.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Majin Steve
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Steve » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:50 pm

A Jew is someone who practices Judaism or is born into that ethnicity, it isn't a slur no matter how much it scares you.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:52 pm

You don't think you could find something more appropriate than "weird-ass Jew voice"? You're running into a lot of confusion and problems with your conversations. Please take a step back and reevaluate your posts before making them among this international community.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Majin Steve
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Steve » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:56 pm

"Jew voice" was satire of the lame brains at Funimation who decided it was appropriate."Weird ass" is because it was a weird decision.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:01 pm

Let me be clear. Your response does not come across as "satirical". It comes across as crude, bordering on irresponsible. It's not OK.

Furthermore, no, I don't see how explaining what you mean by "Jew voice" makes saying "Jew voice" any better in the first place.

I would highly recommend, as I've mentioned to you before, that you take a step back and reevaluate your posts before making them. You're running into clarity issues with other members, you're running into clarity issues with administrators, and this is not a situation you want to keep yourself in.

Majin Steve
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Steve » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:09 pm

To be honest, I don't really care. You, quite frankly are a condescending cunt.

I've been on a lot of forums and to be honest, this forum is pretty shit. Do these people even know eachother outside of talking about Dragon Ball Z? How long have you been active and you don't even have an 'off-topic' section? Crying over watermarking images and images being stolen by other people is one of the most childish things I've seen.

If you're not making me out to be an idiot just because I can't be bothered to put a full-stop at the end of my sentence or a capital letter at the start, you're telling me to dumb myself down so the 'guests' or the 'international community' will be clearer understood.

Since when was the first point of a forum information? Yeah this place is good for info, but there is absolutely no incentive to join and take part at all, because this barely passes as a community.

EDIT: This counts as a 'Cheerio!'

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:08 pm

Majin Steve wrote:To be honest, I don't really care. You, quite frankly are a condescending cunt.
Speak for yourself.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:24 pm

Carry on, everyone else!

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:34 pm

Majin Steve wrote:To be honest, I don't really care. You, quite frankly are a condescending cunt.

I've been on a lot of forums and to be honest, this forum is pretty shit. Do these people even know eachother outside of talking about Dragon Ball Z? How long have you been active and you don't even have an 'off-topic' section? Crying over watermarking images and images being stolen by other people is one of the most childish things I've seen.

If you're not making me out to be an idiot just because I can't be bothered to put a full-stop at the end of my sentence or a capital letter at the start, you're telling me to dumb myself down so the 'guests' or the 'international community' will be clearer understood.

Since when was the first point of a forum information? Yeah this place is good for info, but there is absolutely no incentive to join and take part at all, because this barely passes as a community.

EDIT: This counts as a 'Cheerio!'
I used to think an off topic section would help "expand" the community until I realized the community is big enough already, just because all we do is talk about DB doesn't mean we aren't a community, we have our serious members, our jokers and everything inbetween, we have had pretty much every type of conversation imaginable on here. We are here to talk about DB and DB alone, just because we don't talk about what we did on the weekend or what movies we are looking foward to doesn't make us any less of a community. Apart from that we do actually chat with each other about non-DB stuff on sites such as Twitter. As for the grammar rule I had to deal with it so should you, using basic grammar isn't that hard stop being lazy. If someone with my level of spelling and grammar can learn you have no excuse. EDIT: I was expecting V,EX to ban him.

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Smochi » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:54 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:
Freeza: Young played Genkai in Yu Yu Hakusho with the same voice she used for Freeza. That is mind-breakingly terrible. Ayers, on the other hand, is like coming out of a freezing storm, nearly frostbitten and about to pass out, into a warm, welcoming cabin with hot cocoa, blankets, and a supermodel of your preferred gender asking to help you get comfortable.

This is beautiful.