Has Funimation ever released DBZ properly?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MarCas92
Regular

Has Funimation ever released DBZ properly?

Post by MarCas92 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:47 am

I thought the Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Gt releases were good, why can't DBZ get a similar treatment that doesn't suck.

First we got the single DVD's. No Saiyan Saga or early Namek (ocean cast only). But we did get the rest at least?

Then we got the Ultimate Uncut, which were great! Quality was good, and it even had the option for the Mexico Dub as a nice little extra. But they were discontinued before the Saiyan Saga even ended. :problem:

Then the orange bricks. Great! The whole series at an affordable prize,with both original AND Japanese audio. But the visuals are HORRENDOUS! The colors are saturated to the point of disgust and the cropping of the show was a horrible idea. No fan of the show should find this acceptable. Also, what happened to the Spanish track?

Then the Dragon Boxes. Great release, but some are now horrendously overpriced, leaving fans who were willing to buy them now unable to.

Then the Level Blu Rays. Amazing quality. But again, discontinued after the Saiyan Saga.

Do you guys think Funi has done a good job releasing the series or do they need to get their act together?
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Ringworm128
Banned

Re: Has funimation ever released DBZ properly?

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:41 am

Despite being a limited release I still think the Dragonbox's are a good release that's nice and complete.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:42 am

Once, or twice depending how you look at it.

Complete Series on DVD (Dragon Box Z Collection 1-7)

To Be Continued (16 Blu-ray volumes to release until it's complete)
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:21 am

The Dragon Boxes are only horrendously overpriced now because they're out of print. If you got them when they were available, (and especially if you got them through RightStuf or Amazon) they were an amazing deal. I got the whole series for $286.93, which is less than a dollar and episode.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

KaaN10

Post by KaaN10 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:46 am

Why aren't they printing more copies especially when there's demand?

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:54 am

Maybe the agreement they had with TOEI over the Dragon Boxes only allowed them to create so many copies, it is their remaster, after all. And FUNimation, having already released the series multiple times, probably didn't expect it to sell that well, and to only appeal to a small niche of the Dragonball fan base. And I'm guessing TOEI now wants even more money, seeing how in demand they are in the US market. At this point, FUNimation is probably waiting for a BluRay edition of the Dragon Boxes before investing more money into licensing the DVDs, or they've already hit their budget with the second half of Kai.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:03 am

If they released DBZ properly then they'd have nothing else to release and they would make no money on the series. Maybe they're crazy like a fox! :lol:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:13 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:And FUNimation, having already released the series multiple times, probably didn't expect it to sell that well, and to only appeal to a small niche of the Dragonball fan base.
That has long been what I suspected. Between the care taken to emulate the original Japanese release (books, artwork, etc.) and the fact that the default audio option is the Japanse audio track (with even the inclusion of a dub track apparently being an "afterthought")...it's very, very clear that the Dragon Boxes were meant to cater to a niche of the fanbase that was primarily interested in the original Japanese version.

Nothing wrong with that, of course, but I can't imagine they expected it to sell well. The original Japanese version may be more popular globally, but locally, there's infinitely more awareness of the dub since that's what aired on TV. The fan base FUNimation was aiming to please loved the Dragon Boxes, but the vast majority of dub fans or even "casual fans" didn't understand what the big deal was. Even the Anime News Network review of the first Dragon Box said that it was just another re-release and that if you already had the Orange Bricks that you should stick to those.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:37 pm

Dragon Ball series wasn't properly released at all (excluding level sets). 16mm photographic film has much more capabilities than it's presented on any available release. Audio quality of Japanese track sourced from photographic film is below all standards.

(If you want some proof - PM me)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:45 pm

well, It's worse in the UK as we have only just got the orange bricks season 1-6 I think, with more being released in the summer. I've heard a lot of bad things about the orange bricks which as put me off buying them. But I guess I may ultimately have to buy them if I wanna get the complete series, considering the US hasn't got a decent release (that's in print) yet lord only knows when the UK will.

Vice
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Vice » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:58 pm

There was nothing wrong with the orange bricks except for the cropping, which I can tolerate. I also enjoyed how the cleaning of the film turned out.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:01 pm

The cropping I couldn't tolerate, there are certain parts where it's really noticeable. I guess I'm really picky when it comes to Dragon Ball, haha

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:20 pm

Vice wrote:There was nothing wrong with the orange bricks except for the cropping, which I can tolerate. I also enjoyed how the cleaning of the film turned out.
And the colors and the brightness and that it looks like it was scrubbed with a wire brush. The fact that the spine image isn't visible unless you remove the slipcase. The fact that its use of the term "season" is a lie. The fact that its advertising campaign lied its ass off. The fact that "season 2's" opening theme is horribly out of synch in every single episode of the set.

Need I go on...? :wink:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:23 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Vice wrote:There was nothing wrong with the orange bricks except for the cropping, which I can tolerate. I also enjoyed how the cleaning of the film turned out.
And the colors and the brightness and that it looks like it was scrubbed with a wire brush. The fact that the spine image isn't visible unless you remove the slipcase. The fact that its use of the term "season" is a lie. The fact that its advertising campaign lied its ass off. The fact that "season 2's" opening theme is horribly out of synch in every single episode of the set.

Yeah, I found all of that intolerable too. The Dragon Box is where it's at. :)

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:28 pm

I guess I'm 'that guy' who's in the middle - flawed as the Season Sets are, I'm still happy to have them as they were the first easy, affordable way to actually own the entire series. So they have that going for them at least. :P
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:33 pm

Orange Bricks are the biggest catastrophe in history of photographic film transferring. Dragon Boxes have no sharpness, bad colors and lack of proper contrast - they are far from perfect... um... normal quality of original film.

About audio - I personally will accept this quality, but only after official statement regarding an existence of original masters, or voice only tapes for remixing.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:40 pm

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:Orange Bricks are the biggest catastrophe in history of photographic film transferring.
Clearly you have never seen the horrid footage quality present on my The Jeff Foxworthy Show: Season Two DVDs. Now that is a terri-bad transfer. :crazy:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:20 pm

Am I right in saying that, the dragon boxes don't have the Bruce Faulconer music?
Beggars cannot be choosers I guess.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:28 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Clearly you have never seen the horrid footage quality present on my The Jeff Foxworthy Show: Season Two DVDs. Now that is a terri-bad transfer. :crazy:
Greatest argument for the Orange Bricks I've ever seen! :clap:
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Vice
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Vice » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:38 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:And the colors and the brightness and that it looks like it was scrubbed with a wire brush.
And still manages to look better than it ever has.
The fact that the spine image isn't visible unless you remove the slipcase. The fact that its use of the term "season" is a lie.

Both frivolous things to complain about.
The fact that its advertising campaign lied its ass off.
About what?
The fact that "season 2's" opening theme is horribly out of synch in every single episode of the set.
Good thing I watch it in marathon format and skip the intro anyway. Besides, do you need to see the same minute and a half intro for each episode, really?
Nope. Got the entire series uncut with the original Japanese broadcast for cheap. Why the hell would I complain?