Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by FindKenshi » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:47 pm

They may be bootlegs anyway.. though.. the movie DID sorta just come out. I mean, yeah it's not unreasonable to think there are already action figures out there.. but since this is on E-Bay the notorious home of bootlegged action figures, I'd be wary.
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution!" -Evil Lord Freeza
The best and most powerful villain in Dragon Ball

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:51 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:DAY-UMN! :o Is that greater than Strong World? I'm surprised we don't have specific opening weekend numbers yet. Now it's a matter of maintaining these good crowds for the duration of its run. The IMAX screenings and the "Super-Wide release" thing must've had quite an impact on ticket sales.
According to WIkipedia, Strong World did 4.8 billion yen overall with 553 million of that coming from its first day alone, showing at 188 theaters. Battle of Gods started at 312 cinemas, so while it seems to be within shooting distance of Strong World, it is showing at more locations. The One Piece juggernaut is hard to beat in this day and age....
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:58 pm

FindKenshi wrote:They may be bootlegs anyway.. though.. the movie DID sorta just come out. I mean, yeah it's not unreasonable to think there are already action figures out there.. but since this is on E-Bay the notorious home of bootlegged action figures, I'd be wary.
Yea, but if those are boot legs, there the best boot legs I've ever seen, I mean look at something like this.
YYYYYYYYIIIIIIIIIIKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:03 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Image
Where is Dr. Brief's cat? Did he die of old age? :(
Well Videl looks much better here than in the promo and concept art. She actually looks like the Videl we knew from the series, apart from the different hairstyle. Also Dende looks as old as he should be.
Okay now I am convinced that they originally forgot about Ultimate Gohan and only put the form in because of the fan complaints. I think they tried to change Gohan's colors everywhere they could, but they couldn't do it in this scene because all the golden auras are mixed, so they just didn't bother and are leaving us with the idea that Ultimate Gohan can still go SSJ. This makes no sense since I doubt Pan is going SSJ inside Videl's womb but whatever I guess :problem:

Draken
Banned

Post by Draken » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:11 pm

What was the budget for this film again? Hopefully that 3 bill yen goal is surpassed easily so they decide to continue :D

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:11 pm

Since the super saiyan god transformation occurred because of an unborn pan, does this mean a good saiyan could turn Super saiyan god just by hanging around a bunch of pregnant saiyans?
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:13 pm

Sshadow5001 wrote:Since the super saiyan god transformation occurred because of an unborn pan, does this mean a good saiyan could turn Super saiyan god just by hanging around a bunch of pregnant saiyans?
Yes, that's exactly what that means.

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:09 pm

I'm kinda disturbed that Videl is wearing devil clothes.. I mean, I know that's her name pun, but in the manga she never dressed like that. Will pan be a little demon baby?
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution!" -Evil Lord Freeza
The best and most powerful villain in Dragon Ball

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:11 pm

I think the devil logo on her dress is a callback to an identical one from Mark's belt in Movie 9? I could be wrong.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Sedorna
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sedorna » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:14 pm

FindKenshi wrote:I'm kinda disturbed that Videl is wearing devil clothes.. I mean, I know that's her name pun, but in the manga she never dressed like that. Will pan be a little demon baby?
Well, to be perfectly fair, how often have we seen Videl dressed up? In most of Z, she was wearing casual or athletic clothes. She's dressed up all fancy for the party, here.

TheSonofKakarrot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheSonofKakarrot » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:30 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
Where is Dr. Brief's cat? Did he die of old age? :(
Well Videl looks much better here than in the promo and concept art. She actually looks like the Videl we knew from the series, apart from the different hairstyle. Also Dende looks as old as he should be.
Okay now I am convinced that they originally forgot about Ultimate Gohan and only put the form in because of the fan complaints. I think they tried to change Gohan's colors everywhere they could, but they couldn't do it in this scene because all the golden auras are mixed, so they just didn't bother and are leaving us with the idea that Ultimate Gohan can still go SSJ. This makes no sense since I doubt Pan is going SSJ inside Videl's womb but whatever I guess :problem:
I was convinced with the first fight scene of when Gohan "power up to Mystic." But what you said only reaffirms my suspicions as well.

Glad to hear this doing well in Japan. It always pleases my heart and angers my best friend who's a diehard Naruto fan and always feels the need to ridicule the series, that Dragonball is still very much alive :)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:33 pm

I followed the url on the scan at yoyocom's blog and ended up here: http://gashapon.jp/dragonball/campaign/SuperBurst.html

Ssjg Goku gashapon (though I suspect he is a recolor of their regular Goku figure >_> )
At least he's smiling first anything ssjg I've seen that doesn't have a frown on his face. XD
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

fogdark
Beyond Newbie

Post by fogdark » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:35 pm

You know, I've been thinking. Toriyama keeps mentioning that he read the manga again to refresh his memory. And just now I realized something, could it be that Battle of Gods has a few time inconsistencies because he read the manga ...only the manga?
This would explain a lot of things, but I can't check the manga right now to answer one big question, so as to be sure if my thought has some logic. So what better place to answer it than here?
So, the thing I don't remember is if it's explicitly stated in the manga that planet Vegeta was destroyed soon after Goku left it as a baby.
I know we saw it in the anime how the planet exploded as Goku left towards Earth, but I'm pretty sure we never saw that in the manga. I believe Toriyama only showed Bardock, but that's it.
Now, I have a feeling Raditz may have told Goku the planet exploded when he was a baby, but again, I can't remember. So can someone check and tell me? Because if in the manga it's never stated when planet Vegeta exploded, then Battle of Gods could very well fit in the manga, without taking into account the anime or any guide, that is.
Yes, Goku visited me once. He turned to me while I was still speechless, and said, "You've drank too much"...

My Teepublic Store
My Redbubble Store

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:04 am

Marco Polo wrote:Where is Dr. Brief's cat? Did he die of old age? :(
IIRC, that cat doesn't appear in the original manga.

mysteriousdbzgt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mysteriousdbzgt » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:08 am

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/g-i-j ... 200331167/

Variety has reported that Battle of Gods has been projected to of taken US $7.0 million at the box office and has been ranked #5 in the estimated overseas box office chart this past weekend.
Last edited by mysteriousdbzgt on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just another Dragon Ball fangirl in the world.

DB & Tiger and Bunny are my main fandoms, along with many other animes.

Deviantart Profile/ Tiger & Bunnyftw tumblr/ mysteriousdbzgt tumblr / My Anime List Profile

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:10 am

kei17 wrote:
Marco Polo wrote:Where is Dr. Brief's cat? Did he die of old age? :(
IIRC, that cat doesn't appear in the original manga.
Yeah it does:

Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:12 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:You know what would be interesting for the next story? Maybe the other Gods of Destruction have scouts that seek out planets for destruction and one of them shows up at Earth, and everyone mistakes him for an actual God of Destruction. A huge battle ensues with the Z warriors barely winning, at which point it is revealed that he is just a scout, and the real God of Destruction is on his way, and he's not going to be happy with the way his servant has been treated. And then maybe Bills shows up and fights along side Goku against the other God of Destruction, because if anyone is going to destroy the Earth, it's going to be Bills. :)

TOEI should hire me as a writer, hahaha
No fuck that

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:15 am

What if Birisu can turn into a super cat god by calling on the power of 4 pure hearted cats, Karin, Brief's shoulder cat, Neko Majin, and Puar

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:15 am

Nex Carnifex wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:You know what would be interesting for the next story? Maybe the other Gods of Destruction have scouts that seek out planets for destruction and one of them shows up at Earth, and everyone mistakes him for an actual God of Destruction. A huge battle ensues with the Z warriors barely winning, at which point it is revealed that he is just a scout, and the real God of Destruction is on his way, and he's not going to be happy with the way his servant has been treated. And then maybe Bills shows up and fights along side Goku against the other God of Destruction, because if anyone is going to destroy the Earth, it's going to be Bills. :)

TOEI should hire me as a writer, hahaha
No fuck that
Haha, I've revised this story idea here... http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 80#p637899

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:19 am

Yeah, the cat appears in the RRA arc but isn't there when Goku gets his ship from Briefs. I don't know when Briefs shows up other then that.
Last edited by Makaioshin on Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.