"Gotenks surpassing Vegeta and the others".

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Gotenks surpassing Vegeta and the others".

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:54 pm

You do know that none of these ambiguous statements you keep trying to bring up actually contradict the blunt and forward statement that Pure Buu is weaker than Super Buu, no matter what kind of insane and fallacious reasoning you try to use to twist it? Much like the manga, actually.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:21 pm

Herms wrote:Does Daizenshuu 10 really say that? I don't remember that. You might be thinking of DBZ Son Goku Densetsu, which says Gotenks is "many times" (not "dozens of times") stronger than Goten/Trunks on their own.

GT Perfect Files Vol.2 says Gogeta (not Gotenks) is "many tens of times" stronger than a regular Super Saiyan 4. That's probably where the idea of Gotenks being described as "tens of times/dozens of times" comes from. Even I've messed that up before.
Yes you did. :P
Herms wrote:Gotenks is described as "many tens of times" stronger than Goten/Trunks are on their own in the anime guide Son Goku Densetsu (this is basically the Japanese equivalent of saying they're "dozens of times" stronger, so it's a bit generic and vague). And Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta is described the same way in comparison to a regular Super Saiyan 4 in the GT Perfect Files Vol.2. So there's that.
And as for D10, does it say anything about Vegetto being many times stronger than Goku or Vegeta? Because I remember Fox666 saying that in this thread, and since he also mentioned the Gotenks line from the DBZ Son Goku Densetsu guide, I guess I messed things up.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:33 pm

I'll go ahead and throw this comment in too
Herms wrote:Refers to Gohan as having “fantastic power surpassing even Super Saiyan 3” following the Elder Kaioshin’s power-up. From (I think) DB Ultimate Battle Collection Round 02, an anime guidebook.
I know you'll just say "It's referring to Gotenks", but since it doesn't make that distinction and instead just mentions surpassing the form entirely, that would still put him above Goku.

Zantetsuken
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Zantetsuken » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:35 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:I'll go ahead and throw this comment in too
Herms wrote:Refers to Gohan as having “fantastic power surpassing even Super Saiyan 3” following the Elder Kaioshin’s power-up. From (I think) DB Ultimate Battle Collection Round 02, an anime guidebook.
I know you'll just say "It's referring to Gotenks", but since it doesn't make that distinction and instead just mentions surpassing the form entirely, that would still put him above Goku.
Well, you know what I'm going to say...

Zantetsuken
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Zantetsuken » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:38 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:You do know that none of these ambiguous statements you keep trying to bring up actually contradict the blunt and forward statement that Pure Buu is weaker than Super Buu, no matter what kind of insane and fallacious reasoning you try to use to twist it? Much like the manga, actually.
You mean like Kaioshinn pointing out how Buu got stronger AFTER transforming into kidbuu. So it's either he got stronger in the transformation from Superbuu into Kidbuu, or from "Buffbuu" into Kidbuu - you pick, the end result is still the same.

Draken
Banned

Post by Draken » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:18 pm

Super Buu into Buff Buu= HOLY SHIT OMG HE'S GETTING EVEN STRONGER??!
Buff Buu into Kid Buu = HAHA SCRUB LOL WE CAN TAKE HIM NOW

Yea okay.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:21 pm

Draken wrote:Super Buu into Buff Buu= HOLY SHIT OMG HE'S GETTING EVEN STRONGER??!

Yea okay.
Not really a worthwhile post, here. C'mon, folks.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:51 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Draken wrote:Super Buu into Buff Buu= HOLY SHIT OMG HE'S GETTING EVEN STRONGER??!

Yea okay.
Actually it's worthwhile and basically sums up Super Boo and Buff Boo compared to Kid Boo. We got statements proving Buff and Super Boo being superior. In the manga I honestly see none. We got an anime guidebook saying Gohan Mystic > SSJ3. We got Goku saying Super Boo > Goku and Vegeta. Don't see any Pure Boo feats at all.

Zantetsuken
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Zantetsuken » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:08 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:

Yea okay.
Actually it's worthwhile and basically sums up Super Boo and Buff Boo compared to Kid Boo. We got statements proving Buff and Super Boo being superior. In the manga I honestly see none. We got an anime guidebook saying Gohan Mystic > SSJ3. We got Goku saying Super Boo > Goku and Vegeta. Don't see any Pure Boo feats at all.
Except that I just pointed out that Kaioshinn was more scared of KidBuu than of "buffBuu" and SuperBuu. That throws a wrench in that logic. We also have the guiidebook saying Buu is stronger, SSJ3 is stronger and etc etc. So what is it?
Last edited by Zantetsuken on Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:09 pm

Zantetsuken wrote: Except that I just pointed out that Kaioshinn was more scared of KidBuu than of "buffBuu" and SuperBuu. That throws a wrench in that logic.
Kaioshin saw his other "Kai" be MURDERED by Pure Boo. I think Kaioshin would be more scared of Pure Boo than Birsu and Omega Shenron..

Zantetsuken
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Zantetsuken » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:27 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
Zantetsuken wrote: Except that I just pointed out that Kaioshinn was more scared of KidBuu than of "buffBuu" and SuperBuu. That throws a wrench in that logic.
Kaioshin saw his other "Kai" be MURDERED by Pure Boo. I think Kaioshin would be more scared of Pure Boo than Birsu and Omega Shenron..
Where and when was that ever implied? Ohhhh, fan theories.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:29 pm

If your theories are based on Kaioshin's "reactions", then it's no wonder how you seem to make so little sense to the rest of the world.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:29 pm

Zantetsuken wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:
The fact Kaioshin was scarred of anything with an "M" on his/her/it's head or chest. Also what's your deal with fan theories? Not everything in DB is flat out stated so we make theories that make some sort of sense. Not that big of an issue.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:34 pm

Zantetsuken wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:You do know that none of these ambiguous statements you keep trying to bring up actually contradict the blunt and forward statement that Pure Buu is weaker than Super Buu, no matter what kind of insane and fallacious reasoning you try to use to twist it? Much like the manga, actually.
You mean like Kaioshinn pointing out how Buu got stronger AFTER transforming into kidbuu. So it's either he got stronger in the transformation from Superbuu into Kidbuu, or from "Buffbuu" into Kidbuu - you pick, the end result is still the same.
Well then it's too bad that Kaioshin never said that. And that no one ever contradicted Goku, Buu, Gotenks, every single manga guidebook, etc. all saying that Super Buu is superior.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Draken
Banned

Post by Draken » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:46 pm

Zantetsuken wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:
So does that mean you make fun of your own theories? Last time I checked you're spouting fan theories too. "Statements saying that SSJ3 can't be suppressed are PROBABLY untrue." -> You. -> Fan theory. Yet here you are bashing fan theories, which last I checked, was pretty much everything in this sub-forum?

And uh, it was never IMPLIED, it was SHOWN, Kaioshin witnessed the murder of his fellow Kai's by Buu. And he thought that Pui Pui was strong. Roflmao.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:47 pm

If you're ignoring all feats and statements and going purely by Kaioshin's overly emotional reactions, then I suppose base Vegeta's stronger than SS2 Gohan, right?
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:04 am

Zantetsuken wrote:
Darkprince410 wrote:I'll go ahead and throw this comment in too
Well, you know what I'm going to say...
Except it's not making that distinction. Given that it's saying Super Saiya-jin 3, that's meaning all beings to exhibit Super Saiya-jin 3, otherwise he'd not be surpassing it, now would he?

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:17 am

Everyone can agree that Ultimate Gohan displayed his superiority to SS3 Gotenks when he put Evil Boo in his place whereas SS3 Gotenks was more or less on par with him. So all that quote is doing is solidifying that SS3 Goku is weaker than Gohan. But it's from an anime guide so I can understand if someone's dismissive of it as it doesn't pertain to the manga. It doesn't change anything for those of us who already knew that Ultimate Gohan > SS3 Goku.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:43 am

VegettoEX wrote:

Yea okay.
How is it not worthwhile? It sums up Goku's & Vegeta's reactions to Boo's forms (it's in an immature style, but still).
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:23 am

I'm specifically talking about posting style here. Don't make things worse with absurdly childish posts. These discussions are constantly on thin-ice enough as it is. I have absolutely no desire to keep tossing out account warnings and temporary bans, but if that's what's essentially being asked of me, I guess I can comply. I'd rather not, though, so... please stop? :)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::