Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:03 pm

90sDBZ wrote:Well I'm not bothered about AR as long as we don't see faces and heads cut off. Also the cover art looks beautiful and this has surpassed the bricks as the most shelf-friendly release. And having only 4 discs per set is more convenient. Plus the special features sound tempting.
samuraix123 wrote:I wonder if Funimation is going to fix the voice filter for android 19 and fix when Goku Kamehameha Cell?
Hopefully. Super Buu also needs his filter back on. And they need to put back the old line for Goku greeting Yajirobe by his name instead of "Hey mister".
I'm worried they're just gonna slap the orange brick audio right on this release.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:06 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:That sorta thing is inevitable in a cropped release.
Sure but it doesn't ruin it for you right?

Or else I'd guess you don't watch any modern TV series, films or remastered films re-released in widescreen (not how they were originally intended to be seen) because of it.

I'd like to see BTTF in 4x3 on Blu-ray but it's very unlikely of happening due to the success the current BDs have.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:09 pm

Well, no, but I don't think it's accurate to say that people are upset here only because of cropping. This footage, imo, would still look terrible in its original aspect ratio.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:13 pm

MagicBox wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:It's a shame that Funi got to answer my question. I ask if they could just import the special effects and commentary tracks on the R2 DVD's and just subbed title them.
What special effects are you talking about? I don't think FUNi has ever added special effects to the show, unless you're talking about the TV edits...?
Maybe he meant "special features?"

Either way, the Japanese DVDs don't have commentary tracks. Bonus features of any kind are rare, even on the Dragon Boxes. They only thing I'd be interested in getting are the vintage commercials.
Opps, sorry I mean to say "Special Features". I like commentary tracks and I enjoy hearing the making into these shows. You can't always find what you want on the Internet. I guess we always get bare bone releases is because to save money or they feel like most buyers that buy DBZ dvd's don't care about the special features.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

G1GACANN0N
Not-So-Newbie

Post by G1GACANN0N » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:14 pm

I don't watch movies on TV because 90% of the time they are cropped/zoomed/pan & scanned to 16:9 from scope. Thank God for Blu-ray & Netflix (which is MOSTLY OAR).

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:24 pm

G1GACANN0N wrote:I don't watch movies on TV because 90% of the time they are cropped/zoomed/pan & scanned to 16:9 from scope. Thank God for Blu-ray & Netflix (which is MOSTLY OAR).
Sometimes you can't really escape from the widescreen edition because it's either that or nothing.

Arrested Development for Season 1 at least showed some indication that the original aspect ratio might've been 4x3 but we ended up with 16x9 AR, still, it's one of the best comedy series out there and the AR isn't going to ruin it by any chance, however, "Season" 4 shouldn't exist it's horrible.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:33 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:EDIT, wrong link:
If anyone still wants some footage of the new sets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WqLhTz ... ata_player
Also, the Japanese track doesn't sound that bad.
Well, I'll give it this; it's at least better than the Orange Bricks and the oversaturated to death "2k 1080p Remastered" Youtube Videos. That's not saying much, though. Also comparing it to the Dragon Box audio, there's very little difference, if I'm not just imagining it.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:16 pm

That combination of Japanese audio and the new remaster is so jarring. It doesn't fit at all.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:28 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:That Yajoribe line. What was that about anyways? Why "Mister"? if we all know that Goku knows Yajoribe....
That line was actually from the driving episode when Goku meets his instructor. For some dumb reason the orange bricks had it play both then and when Goku sees Yajirobe even though the original Funi dub had him say Yajirobe.
KingofWisdom wrote:Not the dubbies who only care about DEEBEEZEE. :roll:
I don't think "dubbies" are all so dumb that they'd overlook such a blatantly obvious inconsistency. In fact I saw a Youtube video a while back which highlighted that particular dialogue change and the comments were mostly from dub fans about how stupid and unnecessary the change was. Even the most common dub fans have a basic grasp of the story and characters.
Last edited by 90sDBZ on Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:29 pm

Just to note: the new remastered footage might look okay to someone watching it on small screen or monitor, but try watching it on a TV that's 40in or larger. You will see all of the smudginess and ghosting people have mentioned already.

As grainy or as soft as the Levels Sets, the Dragon Boxes, and Kai could be at times, at least you didn't get weird things moving around on the screen when they're not supposed to.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

GarrettCRW
Beyond Newbie

Post by GarrettCRW » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:53 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:I'd like to see BTTF in 4x3 on Blu-ray but it's very unlikely of happening due to the success the current BDs have.
Uh.....why? The BTTF trilogy was shot in Super 35* to anticipate the inevitable home video release, but the movies were screened theatrically in widescreen.

*-Shooting in Super 35 still means that effects shots are still panned and scanned in 4:3, and occasionally things like boom mics will be visible when the matte is opened up to 4:3.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:16 am

Back to the Future wasn't shot in Super 35. The term you're thinking of is "open matte". But most of your elaboration is correct. But since it's not Super 35, the effects are consistently framed too. Also, in Back to the Future's case, there aren't any visible mistakes in the non-theatrical framing, at least not that I'm aware of.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:35 am

So, I just saw this product in the wild. The one conclusion I can make from looking at and almost buying it, is that Funi needs to stop using cheap silky paper for there slip covers. I much preferred the thick card stock of the Kai blu-ray parts. This is one aspect that the level sets and the new season sets have in common, easily damaged slipcases. Whats the point of a slip cover if it is fragile. ... End of rant. I will probably buy this release sometime just to check out how the remaster feels. Heck maybe I will like DBZ water colors but I promise I will not buy the next blu-ray release that is remastered in black & white as the the "author intended" ;)
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:13 am

TheMajinRedComet wrote:So, I just saw this product in the wild. The one conclusion I can make from looking at and almost buying it, is that Funi needs to stop using cheap silky paper for there slip covers. I much preferred the thick card stock of the Kai blu-ray parts. This is one aspect that the level sets and the new season sets have in common, easily damaged slipcases. Whats the point of a slip cover if it is fragile. ... End of rant. I will probably buy this release sometime just to check out how the remaster feels. Heck maybe I will like DBZ water colors but I promise I will not buy the next blu-ray release that is remastered in black & white as the the "author intended" ;)
You do realize the vast majority of slipcovers aren't actually for collectors (despite such a market having sprung up for it.) It's to make it look better on shelves.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:35 am

So anyone got a screenshot of the eyecatch? The way the eyecatch looked on the season sets made it obvious the picture was cropped. I wanna see if FUNimation cropped it differently to make it feel less obvious.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:45 am

Codarik wrote:So anyone got a screenshot of the eyecatch? The way the eyecatch looked on the season sets made it obvious the picture was cropped. I wanna see if FUNimation cropped it differently to make it feel less obvious.
The eye catches weren't cropped Funimation actually added more white background to the left and the right sides of the image.
http://imageshack.us/a/img541/8733/p210.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img853/5821/hji4.png
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:22 am

qjz123 wrote:
Codarik wrote:So anyone got a screenshot of the eyecatch? The way the eyecatch looked on the season sets made it obvious the picture was cropped. I wanna see if FUNimation cropped it differently to make it feel less obvious.
The eye catches weren't cropped Funimation actually added more white background to the left and the right sides of the image.
Wow that's actually quite nice of them!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:53 am

KingofWisdom wrote:That combination of Japanese audio and the new remaster is so jarring. It doesn't fit at all.
Yeah, there's a weird contrast between the over-madeup footage and the muffled audio.

It's more natural with the original broadcast audio. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mciEHXzG_qk

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:21 am

qjz123 wrote:
Codarik wrote:The eye catches weren't cropped Funimation actually added more white background to the left and the right sides of the image.
It just occurred to me. Since they filled in the sides, what did they do about the close up of Gohan before he runs to Goku at the start of the second half?

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:35 am

BluezaBladeNZ wrote: It just occurred to me. Since they filled in the sides, what did they do about the close up of Gohan before he runs to Goku at the start of the second half?
http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/1313/mcn1.png
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.