Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:48 pm

Fizzer wrote:I've just been looking on the Amazon page again, and it's really sad to see this with a significantly lower score than the orange bricks, when it's actually a better product.
The problem is that Amazon allows people to post their comment (not real review about the product) before the physical item is released to the market letting them praise or trash as they please and that's just misleading for a new customer.

Imagine if all the US Dragonboxes Z had a 1 star on all of the boxes that would mean they're horrible.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:05 pm

Nah, it would just mean that a select group of people thinks they're horrible. But, really, people should not be deciding whether or not to purchase a remaster entirely on the Amazon user rating. Even reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:00 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:Nah, it would just mean that a select group of people thinks they're horrible. But, really, people should not be deciding whether or not to purchase a remaster entirely on the Amazon user rating. Even reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.
I'm just imagining someone thinking "oh, Dragon Ball Z, I always hear about that, maybe I'll check it out. It only has two stars after that many reviews? It must be pretty crappy. I won't bother"

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:06 pm

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #861 in Movies & TV. To put that into perspective, Miyazaki's widely popular Spirited Away is #586 in Movies & TV. For Japanese animation, and a series that has been milked this much, it's doing well.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

G1GACANN0N
Not-So-Newbie

Post by G1GACANN0N » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:22 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Imagine if all the US Dragonboxes Z had a 1 star on all of the boxes that would mean they're horrible.
Except 95% on this forum would know they aren't horrible. Can't say the same about this new release.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:52 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Some of you are seriously taking way too much offense from Chris Sabat cracking a joke. There's no way he seriously meant that DBZ was only successful because of him. Kami forbid the guy himself make a joke about how he was every third character when the in-house dub started, not like the fandom's been making the same joke for years or anything.
I heard Chris Sabat's voice discovered a cure for cancer.

On a more serious note, it's neat that they're using Kikuchi's music in the background of that special feature. Really reminds us of how far we've come (in some ways, at least).

I must admit, I am a little curious about these sets since I've been meaning to pick up all of Z at some point and I missed the boat with the Dragon Boxes. I've been trying to avoid getting involved in this thread, since I just don't understand any of this "video-talk" and the only thing I'd be able to contribute is whether I like it or not. As a result, I'm really looking forward to Kanzenshuu's review of the thing so I can get all of the important information in one place, since I feel like I've missed out on quite a bit of it. I have a hunch that it may end up being episode 65 all over again, though- except with less caring. :P

Famicon3DS
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Famicon3DS » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:32 am

Is the Japanese audio any better this time around? If so, I might consider buying it more. :P

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:43 am

Famicon3DS wrote:Is the Japanese audio any better this time around? If so, I might consider buying it more. :P
Check this out
Season Set Blu Ray vs Dragon Box:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnzM9CHWDfo
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:47 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:On a more serious note, it's neat that they're using Kikuchi's music in the background of that special feature. Really reminds us of how far we've come (in some ways, at least).
It honestly gave me subtle nerdrage. It's another bogus PR-friendly behind-the-scenes featurette for another terrible DBZ release, and yet they're so... sure of themselves, I suppose? The atmosphere of the whole thing is authoritative and they've even sat down the president of the company to spin yarn at us, and yet we all know the product is shit. In fact, they spend more time on the show's history and the formation of the company; one person is talking about the remastering and four others are waxing nostalgic. Combine all of this with the use of the original score, something they made a conscious decision to not feature in their broadcast dub because producing their own cheap score meant they received royalties whenever it was on television, and I feel slightly mocked, to be honest.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:47 am

Famicon3DS wrote:Is the Japanese audio any better this time around? If so, I might consider buying it more. :P
Having listened to various comparison videos since I bought it, and judging it by what I remember from my experience with the Dragon Boxes... the audio is mostly the same for the Japanese track, except that the Blu-rays are at least a little louder.

It might be sliiiiightly less muffled and clearer than the Orange Bricks and Dragon Balls due to FUNimation going in and adjusting the audio on all three audio tracks. It's still nowhere near the quality of the original broadcast audio, but it's certainly listenable and serviceable enough.

I'm no audiophile, but that's what it's like to me.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:On a more serious note, it's neat that they're using Kikuchi's music in the background of that special feature. Really reminds us of how far we've come (in some ways, at least).
For all the weird decisions they've made with the DBZ brand and its footage over the years... at least they are no longer afraid to acknowledge DBZ as Japanese, and are more celebratory of it's Japanese roots; despite the fact that they seem overly compelled to crop and "modernize" the footage.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:58 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:I have a hunch that it may end up being episode 65 all over again, though- except with less caring. :P
... Episode 65?

*checks*

You mean the Orange Bricks were reviewed nearly 290 podcast episodes ago?! :o

My God, we're getting so old...
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:40 am

Its very interesting that Funi has no problem with Zenkai Power. It has been the default in most of modern releases but for some reason they are not allowed to touch Cha La with a ten foot pole. I wonder how the rights issues could be so different between two anime tv songs from the same time period in the 80s?
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:51 am

Have they ever confirmed it was due to rights issues? They used "HEAD-CHA-LA" with no problems on the FUNiBoxes and half of their "remastered" movie releases.

I know it's an assumption, but I really think they're just stubbornly trying not to alienate the nostalgic Toonami fans by making sure the American rock opening is the first thing you hear when you play an episode.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:56 am

TheMajinRedComet wrote:Its very interesting that Funi has no problem with Zenkai Power. It has been the default in most of modern releases but for some reason they are not allowed to touch Cha La with a ten foot pole. I wonder how the rights issues could be so different between two anime tv songs from the same time period in the 80s?
I don't think it has anything to do with Funimation not having the rights to use Cha La. They use the same rock theme across all of their newer releases excluding the dragon boxes because they don't want to alienate the general fan base. I assume Funimation's thought process for this decision is that fans who want to here Cha La can just switch to the japanese track and for the general fan who just leaves the default track on will here a standard rock theme that won't drive them away. As far as them still using Zenkai Power as the closing theme Funimation probably just figures that most people don't watch the ending credits or care about the closing theme.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:57 am

MagicBox wrote:Have they ever confirmed it was due to rights issues? They used "HEAD-CHA-LA" with no problems on the FUNiBoxes and half of their "remastered" movie releases.

I know it's just an assumption, but I really think they're just stubbornly trying not to alienate the nostalgic Toonami fans by making sure the American rock opening is the first thing you hear when you play an episode.
I honestly believe it's an oversight by the whomever is charge the authoring for each style of release.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:05 am

qjz123 wrote:
Check this out

I'm no audiophile but I'll say that, at least to my ears, it seems the Japanese audio is quite a bit cleaner as well as being louder. So there's a plus for this release anyway.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:16 am

theoriginalbilis wrote:I honestly believe it's an oversight by the whomever is charge the authoring for each style of release.
Hmm, I suppose that could be true, too. I'd like to think that FUNi would have picked up on it by now if it truly were an oversight, but anything's possible. I just wish we could find out for sure why the song keeps getting replaced.

Oh, crap! I could have asked them that for the Q&A... :x

Vegard Aune
Advanced Regular

Post by Vegard Aune » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:09 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
theoriginalbilis wrote:During certain shots, yes. When Goku and Piccolo are double-blasted by Raditz (where Piccolo loses his arm,) the shots of the two falling as the blasts destroy mountains in the background, there's a noticeble pan upward. Also, when Gohan bursts out of Raditz's space pod, they pan-and-scan upward to follow Gohan. It doesn't look like a natural camera pan though, it looks like a digital pan.
Oh my... That sounds atrocious...
...I'd say if they're gonna crop a 4:3 show to 16:9 anyway, adding a few extra pans where a flat-out static crop would inevitably result in an awkward image seems like the lesser of two evils.
PhoenixEX wrote:I'm curious, what would be the perfect release for you?
Level set masters, only with the original Japanese credits and title-cards kept intact. Also original broadcast audio would be a plus. As would the previews.
Alternately a Dragon Box style remaster in full HD, with some proper color-correction applied. Also original broadcast audio would be a plus.

Mind you, the way things are going, I'm perfectly content with just keeping my DBoxes.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:27 am

ErikB wrote:
qjz123 wrote:
Check this out

I'm no audiophile but I'll say that, at least to my ears, it seems the Japanese audio is quite a bit cleaner as well as being louder. So there's a plus for this release anyway.
A lot of the low end has been removed and the highs are certainly a lot smoother. It's a pretty decent job and I'm sure a good amount of time was spent on trying to isolate hiss out of the wind sound effects.

You can get similar effects to this with some basic EQ in VLC but I'll give them this one, for sure. A pretty solid job. I would have to check the quieter scenes to see whether it was a fully automated process...in which case you'll find subtler SFX being removed.

That YouTube video only has 128kbps audio whereas the Blu-Ray will have a much higher bitrate and better-no compression so it has the potential to sound even better.

I think if there's one complaint I have, it's that, because the low end has been so heavily cut, the highs can be a little piercing because of the source's low quality. Unfortunately no smoothing is really going to fix that. The initial boomy sounds from Dboxes and Level Sets covered that fairly well so I guess it's what you find more pleasing to your ears.

Overall though, It's pretty decent.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:30 pm

ErikB wrote:
qjz123 wrote:
Check this out

it really is an nice upgrade in the audio.