How'd you feel if FUNi used fatpacks for future DB releases?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

How'd you feel if FUNi used fatpacks for future DB releases?

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:35 pm

I do think that down the line FUNimation will start to use such packaging due to the fact that it's cheaper, more economic and overall people will still be getting the same content.

Madman and Manga UK have been doing this for Dragon Ball DVD releases but sadly neither of the two had the decency to make slipcovers for the early prints which kinda sucks because it'd look a lot better inside a slipcover than the plastic case itself on the shelf.

Here's how it looks like:

* Seasons 1-2 US, Seasons 3-9 UK

Source: Amazon.co.uk

Is this a bad thing? No, it's just the packaging will have lower standards to what we had before, that's all.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Re: How'd you feel if FUNi used fatpacks for future DB relea

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:40 pm

To be honest, I would actually like for them to use that type of packaging. I think it looks nice and also saves a bit of space. This is the first time I've noticed that the Manga UK Season 8 set has different and, in my opinion, nicer Majin Vegeta art on the cover.
Last edited by Freeza Soldier #156 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:53 pm

I would like this too. I ended up doing this with my Dragon Ball and GT singles and Season sets (standard size 6 disc DVD cases). Cleared a lot of space.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:55 pm

I'd actually like something like this. I don't expect every release to have gorgeous boxes like the Dragon Boxes. I think a release like this would be ideal if FUNi is to put out a DragonBall Z Movie collection on Blu-ray to correspond with their current Blu-ray release of the TV series.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:01 pm

I would also be completely fine with this. It's packaging. It doesn't need to be bedecked with frills. It needs to be functional. And honestly, I would think those would hold up a lot better than the digipaks or whatever it is the U.S. season sets come in.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:42 am

I'd prefer this for non-luxury releases, as the card bricks do get damaged from use and storage no matter how careful you are. I also let my two brothers borrow mine because I'm a soft idiot, and I get the impression that they're less gentle with them than I am.

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:12 am

Those are actually the cheaper ones? I like them way better! They are much more convenient, sleeker, and more durable. There is no downside for me! I wish I could replace all my other Season TV dvds to be like this, rather than have ones with damaged edges from normal use.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:32 am

baneofdemon22 wrote:Those are actually the cheaper ones? I like them way better! They are much more convenient, sleeker, and more durable. There is no downside for me! I wish I could replace all my other Season TV dvds to be like this, rather than have ones with damaged edges from normal use.
Not necessarily but it would make the prices drop down easier due to the packaging not being as premium as it used to be.

In Manga UK's case it's either this or nothing for most of it (they stopped producing Slim DVD cases a while ago, I think).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:31 pm

Fizzer wrote:I'd prefer this for non-luxury releases, as the card bricks do get damaged from use and storage no matter how careful you are. I also let my two brothers borrow mine because I'm a soft idiot, and I get the impression that they're less gentle with them than I am.
It's definitely not just you. I have multiple sets that are damaged despite being careful with them. The little plastic tabs that are supposed to hold the discs just don't last. I'd be all for a change, but I wouldn't actually buy another release unless Funi changed the content back to fullscreen.