Buu Saga Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Buu Saga Kai

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:14 am

Well, Kai is a cheap re-edit. The new Sailor Moon is supposed to be a full-blown new production.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:32 pm

Cold Skin wrote:That lack of announcement is still very surprising and makes me uncomfortable.
Well, you're not supposed to know it exists yet.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:04 pm

B wrote:
Cold Skin wrote:That lack of announcement is still very surprising and makes me uncomfortable.
But at least we are 100% sure that it exists.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:37 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
B wrote:
But at least we are 100% sure that it exists.
Yes, but you're not supposed to know that. You can't be "surprised" or "uncomfortable" that something you're not supposed to know about hasn't come out yet. As far as we know, production is going along at just the rate they want it to, and will come out when they want it to.

I mean, we first got wind of Battle of Gods on July 6, 2012, through a teaser site that was simply labeled "D". The movie then comes out March 30(essentially April) of 2013. That's a good nine months until that baby was born. There were no actor leaks or hints about the film; this was it.

The Buu arc of Kai? No official announcements anywhere. The earliest you can find is a November 5, 2012 blog post from Mayumi Tanaka; not official. There were interview snippets from Sean Schemmel; not official. Chris Sabat supposedly talked about the episode count at an anime convention; not official and still not substantiated that this even happened. Kyle Hebert mentions on Twitter about playing Gohan; not official and he deletes the tweets. The closest thing we have are Madman Facebook comments, and while that would qualify as "official," it's still not a formal announcement.

The point I am getting at is that awareness is everything. Your brother might be planning to kill you, but you're not worried about it until you find the secret plans. Until then, he's just your brother. Hell, Toei animators could be doing storyboards for a DB project right this second. Are we worried that's never gonna come out now?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:43 pm

I'm aware, I'm just pointing out that people shouldn't be afraid that it may be canceled, like with the Ocean dub of Kai, which we don't know if it will actually happen. We do know it's in the making, but we don't know it officially.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:20 pm

Yes, I guess those are good points:
1) We know it's been made, so it won't be for nothing, they surely won't cancel it all and lock all those episodes away never to be seen. So we're pretty sure to see them one way or another when the time comes.
2) As you said, no pressure. Since they don't have a definitive official release date or anything, they can take all the time they want to do it.

The bad point I'm afraid of: after all this time, people who gave in to Kai might have moved on. They eagerly waited for the continuation, but over time, might have been interesting in other things and forgotten about it. The day it's shown/released, they might be like "oh, that Dragon Ball Kai thing? Oh yeah, I remember I was crazy about it, I don't really remember why, that was years ago. I've got other stuff now, so thanks for proposing some continuation, but I'll pass".
It would be less risky if it was basically like TV shows: even before the season is actually over, they already announce to everyone "the show will stop, but keep being interested in it because the continuation is planned and will come".

Anyway, I guess it's their problem, not mine, but I just hate the idea that people could stop right in the middle of it and miss that opportunity to see the rest simply because their interest was not maintained during all of this "break"... But there's nothing we can do about it anyway, Toei will decide when they judge the time is right to let people know.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:27 am

The new cards of Miracle Battle Carddass coming in April will feature the Buu arc. http://item.rakuten.co.jp/amiami/cgm-5361/

Now there's almost no doubt that it's going to be released in April.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:38 am

kei17 wrote:The new cards of Miracle Battle Carddass coming in April will feature the Buu arc. http://item.rakuten.co.jp/amiami/cgm-5361/

Now there's almost no doubt that it's going to be released in April.
I feel like we're getting closer and closer to an official announcement! I'm very excited. I wonder if it will begin releasing in the U.S. simultaneously with Japan, seeing as how we know both sides have already been working on it? If it does release in April, that would put it in line with the whole probable Madman release in August/September statement. I just feel like if it was coming so soon (less than four months) we would have heard something from FUNi by now. Although, maybe they have to wait for TOEI to say something first. I'm sure TOEI would want to be first on the scene.

Luka

Post by Luka » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:53 am

Hey guys, someone can explain me all this buu thing? Are they gonna release the arc straight on Bluray and DVD without airing it on tv, right? It's gonna be released only in the US or in Japan too? Thank you very much!

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:03 am

Luka wrote:Hey guys, someone can explain me all this buu thing? Are they gonna release the arc straight on Bluray and DVD without airing it on tv, right? It's gonna be released only in the US or in Japan too? Thank you very much!
According to Mayumi Tanaka (voice of Kuririn) back in November 2012 (http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2012/11/06/dr ... -in-japan/), the original plan for the revival of Kai was that it was being made for international markets. There were no plans to air the episodes in Japan and a home release was never mentioned, although I highly doubt TOEI would do absolutely nothing with those episodes in Japan, so a home release was probably always in the cards. However, recent rumblings of the Toriko anime ending and its time slot opening up have given rise to the rumor that Kai just may be taking its place. Basically, everything about Buu Kai is just rumors at this point and no one really knows what's going to happen with it.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:27 am

Toriko's pacing has gotten drastically faster this week. It seems to be really ending.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:33 am

kei17 wrote:Toriko's pacing has gotten drastically faster this week. It seems to be really ending.
How far would it be until it catches up to the Manga? Is there any possible point in the story that it could end on or could we possibly be seeing an anime-only ending?
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:47 pm

kei17 wrote:Toriko's pacing has gotten drastically faster this week. It seems to be really ending.
Very interesting. The 19 January 2014 episode, episode #138, covered chapters #225-226. These chapters are supposedly a part of the Cooking Festival arc, which ends with chapter #263. I wonder how many chapters are being adapted to catch up?
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:40 pm

The latest chapter of Toriko was 264 I think, so they're already right on the tail end of where the manga is sounds like, at least based on what you're saying there. And the anime is ending when exactly? Sounds kinda like they may be throwing in their own ending or something - although where the last chapter ended is seemingly a great place to 'end' a series and 'start' a sequel one too (kinda like the timeskip in One Piece). But given Toriko's lackluster performance, that's not likely what they're doing at all.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:07 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:The latest chapter of Toriko was 264 I think, so they're already right on the tail end of where the manga is sounds like, at least based on what you're saying there. And the anime is ending when exactly? Sounds kinda like they may be throwing in their own ending or something - although where the last chapter ended is seemingly a great place to 'end' a series and 'start' a sequel one too (kinda like the timeskip in One Piece). But given Toriko's lackluster performance, that's not likely what they're doing at all.
I have to guess the Toriko cartoon would air it's final episode on 30 March. That leaves seven episodes remaining, should Dragon Ball Kai take over beginning with 6 April 2014.

Like Kei said on Twitter, Dragon Ball Kai was first announced in Weekly JUMP #11 for 2009. Who wants to bet that it will be announced in Weekly JUMP #11 for 2014? Especially with Zenkai Battle Royale adding Ultimate Gohan, Babidi, and Spopovitch.

EDIT: More like nine episodes. Don't know what I was thinking.
Last edited by JulieYBM on Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:19 pm

I don't read or watch Toriko, so I don't know exactly what chapters the latest episode covers, but a post on 2ch says that it covers four chapters.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:50 pm

kei17 wrote:I don't read or watch Toriko, so I don't know exactly what chapters the latest episode covers, but a post on 2ch says that it covers four chapters.
Wow, interesting. That leaves the story arc with about thirty-three more chapters. The Toriko comic is apparently on hiatus right now as of issue #6-7 and chapter #263 ends on a pretty clear 'ending' for this era of storylines.. Yeah, Toriko is ending.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:09 pm

Shimabukuro ended that chapter with a bit on how it was the end of the "Human World" arc. Basically, everything that's happened in the past 25 or so volumes counts as that. Gourmet World is where things are going to get insane. Can't wait for the return of the series the Monday after next (one of my favorite Jump manga ever, certainly my favorite modern series).

But yeah, perhaps they hope to let the anime rest, let the manga get ahead, and continue it in a year or two, however long the Buu Arc of Kai takes, if that is what is replacing it.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Fennekin
Not Banned

Post by Fennekin » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:15 pm

Hopefully, like the previous episodes in English Dub, these episode will be presented in their original 4:3 aspect ratio and not cropped, especially since Nicktoons launched in HD back in August.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:26 pm

Toriko will end for sure, but there is also a very high possibility that it will get an anime sequel, since the "Human World" arc form the manga just finished, and the "Gourmet World" arc will begin after the hiatus (it's like with Dragon Ball when it jumped from the 23rd TB arc to Saiyan arc, or with Naruto when it jumped from Part 1 to Part 2, or with One Piece when it jumped to the New World arc). But then again, the anime is running fast, and gets closer to the manga. Maybe the anime sequel will return after Kai, or it will never happen at all.

I hope it won't end, I like it a lot. As much as One Piece.