Official Confirmations of Why the Dub Casts Changed?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Official Confirmations of Why the Dub Casts Changed?

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:57 pm

Y'know, I almost feel embarrassed asking this question considering how long I've been on Kanzenshuu and a Dragon Ball fan in general, but...did we ever hear from an official source why FUNimation changed from the Ocean cast to their in-house cast? I know fans are frequently throwing around the words "budget," and "money" all the time, and that certainly seems like a logical explanation, so because of that I just assumed it was true over time. However......now that I think about it........I don't think I've ever actually heard from an official source why the voices were changed.

Has anyone from FUNimation ever confirmed why?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official Confirmations of Why the Dub Casts Changed?

Post by Tenken » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:17 pm

You answered your own question: money.

There was a HUGE production gap between the two versions and by then FUNi had stopped working with Saban (who bankrolled the Ocean dub and first alternate score).

Toonami is the only reason the series got as popular as it did. The first two seasons aired before school for like 3 years prior to being brought to Toonami.

No need for an official word in this case, but that's just my opinion...

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:29 pm

That's just it though - Paladin knows that's the most logical answer and that it makes perfect logical sense, he's just pondering if we've ever had anyone in official relations to the series actually say it. I'd be curious to see an official statement too really, even though we already know that has to be the answer, probably.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:40 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:That's just it though - Paladin knows that's the most logical answer and that it makes perfect logical sense, he's just pondering if we've ever had anyone in official relations to the series actually say it. I'd be curious to see an official statement too really, even though we already know that has to be the answer, probably.
How about location as the official reason? Ocean cast was in Canada, while Sabat and the others were in Texas :thumbup:
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:49 pm

Although FUNimation was incorporated in Fort Worth, the company has been using area voice talent for only a year. Prior to that, producer and voice director Barry Watson would fly to Canada to supervise loops at a Vancouver studio that handled some 300 animated shows a year. With executive offices in California and licensing headquarters in Alabama, Watson and crew began to feel as though they were being jerked all over the North American map. Shipping delays began to affect the rate at which Americanized versions of Dragonball Z could be recorded and mixed.

The decision was made to consolidate in Fort Worth (although licenses are still sold out of Alabama). Initially, Watson says, there was some trepidation. "There were a shaky few weeks here while we surveyed the scene," he notes.

National and international companies brought $60 million worth of business in TV commercials and corporate and industrial films to Dallas in 1998. But it could take approximately 40 hours a week for six months to create a cycle of new Dragonball Z, and that's not typical for the studios and the available talent who want to make a living off their voices. Not to mention that most cartoons are looped first and animated around the voices. Even seasoned, professional voice actors aren't used to trying to sync their voices to lips on a TV screen.
http://www.dallasobserver.com/2000-01-2 ... ncident/4/

I remember reading this article when it was released. I think that's about as good as you're gonna get...

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:51 pm

Kakarot88 wrote:How about location as the official reason? Ocean cast was in Canada, while Sabat and the others were in Texas :thumbup:
I'd say location ties into cost, especially considering the level of tech they would have been working with back then in comparison to today. Good point though. :P

But again, what Paladin is looking for I think (and if I'm wrong he can correct me and I'll open my mouth again only to exchange feet :P ) is a statement that someone from FUNimation or Ocean either one would have put out as an official statement at some time around the split or since then.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:23 pm

The "Bad Feedback" of that article and a video where Peter Kalamis talks about when he got death threats because they changed Goku's voice really show how things have not changed at all