"Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion (incl. "DB Minus")

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion (Tankōbon April

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:11 pm

medama_oyaji wrote:Sure! Although, by the time I get the book, I'm sure most of the info will be out there.
Sweet, thanks! :mrgreen: I dunno if it will or not though. This site probably won't focus on it too much given that it's not Dragon Ball related really, and not too many sites really give Katsura much attention to begin with, sadly...which is why it would be so much easier if I could read Japanese myself and start poking around on a bunch of this stuff. ^_^;

On topic, I am very excited that Viz has announced an English release for Jaco! But...not until January of next year? That just seems needlessly delayed. I mean, I can understand wanting to wait a while till after the Japanese release, but that seems a bit much. Surely having to wait until like...August of this year would be plenty, but almost a full year later? Gah.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:29 pm

Is there any legal way to get Jaco besides tracking down the physical SJ issues? I find it absurd that I have to wait a year to read this story. I only caught the first chapter...

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:08 pm

Tenken wrote:Is there any legal way to get Jaco besides tracking down the physical SJ issues? I find it absurd that I have to wait a year to read this story. I only caught the first chapter...
No. There are no physical Shonen Jump issues in English anymore. They've gone all digital. Only legal way to read it in English is to wait till the volume is released next year.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:46 pm

CD Japan is the spot that I recall you guys often talking about doing preorders through on the podcast. I've been periodically checking in with them for this (not yet!). How do you guys search for this stuff? Japanese kana? ISBN? With a word like "Jaco" I could see them having it in their system as "Jako" or "Jyako" so...

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:59 pm

I search anything and everything every day until my fingers bleed.

(Most of that is a true statement.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:54 pm

So, I was glancing at the Shueisha online listings, when I noticed something interesting. The standard edition is 248 pages, and as you'd expect, is Shinsho-ban ("new book format") like the other tankōbon and the Full Color Comics. However, the Super-Elite Version, despite its identical page count, will be ISO A5 like the kanzenban and Neko Majin. I suppose that at least justifies the higher price-point. I wonder if there will be another differences...?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:58 pm

medama_oyaji wrote:CD Japan is the spot that I recall you guys often talking about doing preorders through on the podcast. I've been periodically checking in with them for this (not yet!). How do you guys search for this stuff? Japanese kana? ISBN? With a word like "Jaco" I could see them having it in their system as "Jako" or "Jyako" so...
I'd assume 銀河パトロールジャコ, hopefully that helps.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:00 pm

CDJapan has the special edition now listed for 907 yen.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-1639208

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:40 pm

Awwweeesooooommmeee!!!!! Woo-hoo! I just preordered! The Katsura book isn't there yet, but I got a little scared by the message that they only had twenty-some left available, so I preordered right away! Thanks Freeza Soldier for the heads up!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:44 pm

medama_oyaji wrote:Awwweeesooooommmeee!!!!! Woo-hoo! I just preordered! The Katsura book isn't there yet, but I got a little scared by the message that they only had twenty-some left available, so I preordered right away! Thanks Freeza Soldier for the heads up!
Ditto to this. I really wanted to help save on shipping by packing in a couple of releases together, but since the collab book wasn't up yet, I just jumped on that for now and will get everything else a little later.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:44 pm

medama_oyaji wrote:Awwweeesooooommmeee!!!!! Woo-hoo! I just preordered! The Katsura book isn't there yet, but I got a little scared by the message that they only had twenty-some left available, so I preordered right away! Thanks Freeza Soldier for the heads up!
No problem. I preordered ASAP as well.

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:50 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Ditto to this. I really wanted to help save on shipping by packing in a couple of releases together, but since the collab book wasn't up yet, I just jumped on that for now and will get everything else a little later.
I calculated the shipping for 2 volumes of Jaco, assuming it would be similar to Jaco + Katsura, and it's only about 100 yen cheaper than putting in two separate orders. Guess that's one way in which CD Japan > Amazon.co.jp Amazon adds that extra bit on shipping that makes it significantly cheaper to bundle orders.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:01 pm

Hmm. I'm fairly excited after reading the front page and learning that no only does the Super Elite version of Jaco have the extras, but will be Kanzenban sized. The price being roughly double that of the standard edition doesn't even seem like a big deal at all...

Also, the volume is going to be 248 pages. Assuming everything would be included as is, I have 220 pages worth of Jaco material (217 pages for the comic, two pages for the behind the scenes interview about how he worked on Jaco, and the single page for the memo talking about how Jaco might be his last solo work). That would leave 28 pages unaccounted for, though some will be publishing information and possibly buffer pages. Still excited to see what fills up the space.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:08 pm

OMG
Done pre-ordering! So excited! Now I'll have to wait some weeks before it arrives.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:18 am

Yeah, I'm excited about the little extras, but it definitely makes me happy that the book itself is a little fancier!

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:50 am

I've not been following this release that much since I'm waiting on an English release, but has this series been hyped up as a part of the Dragon Ball series? What I mean is does the tie-in seem forced for the sake of pretty much assuring some sure sales by weaving another successful franchise into it? I'm curious to know if Akira had always planned for it to connect to DB, whether it was something that just happened, or whether he was co-erced into doing it.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:54 am

It was clearly always planned to tie-in with Dragon Ball. The plot point introduced in the first chapter directly ties in with it, as revealed in the final chapter. It's definitely not a case of, "Toriyama started writing this as its own thing and then toward the end decided to make it into a Dragon Ball thing."

We also know he had been working on it around the time that he was working on Battle of Gods stuff and THAT work took away from working on Jaco which resulted in the comic coming out much later than he originally planned.

It was Shueisha themselves who directly promoted it as the "shocking revival of Dragon Ball" just prior to its debut, whereas Toriyama (as inferred through his various comments) seemed to want to keep that more under-wraps so as to not overblow expectations.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:59 pm

I don't know if anyone here uses their services, but it's up for preorder in HMV as well!

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Akira-To ... B9_5698663

I'm so excited!
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

redon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by redon » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:41 am

Super Elite Edition cover.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:17 am

redon wrote:Super Elite Edition cover.

I like it. Definitely more interesting than the standard edition cover.