What should Toei focus on after Kai?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ACCloud
Not-So-Newbie

Re: What should Toei focus on after Kai?

Post by ACCloud » Thu May 08, 2014 2:32 am

In regards to the people who say that DB should be retired, I always find that attitude a bit funny. With something like Dragon Ball, the main story in the manga is complete - you don't have to watch/read any supplementary material beyond that to get the most out of the series. So if you don't like something, just ignore it. The people that still want new content get to enjoy it, and you're no worse off.

I definitely think that continuing to release movies that follow on from Battle of Gods is the best way to go in the immediate future. That way, you don't oversaturate the market as much, and can take more time with the animation and narrative (Goku doesn't have to be doing something every week). I can't honestly say that I'd like a Dragon Ball Heroes series, though. I'm hoping that it just remains a merchandising spin-off.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu May 08, 2014 12:10 pm

Movies is all I want. One movie each year written by Toriyama that continue the story like Battle of Gods did. No more rehashing of old material.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Thu May 08, 2014 1:13 pm

Bullza wrote:Movies is all I want. One movie each year written by Toriyama that continue the story like Battle of Gods did. No more rehashing of old material.
Every 2 or 3 years is a more likely time frame given Toei's release habits, you wont get better than that. In terms of another potential Dragonball Z film, it's likely to be early 2016 unless they announce it this summer.

If I were to make a prediction, the next One Piece film will be announced in the coming months for a 2015 release, with Dragonball Z next in-line behind it.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu May 08, 2014 5:45 pm

Maybe that's realistically how it'd go but ideally it'd be best if they did one movie each year following the end of Kai.

If they wanted to it could easily be done.

The multiverse angle is the direction it needs to go in.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu May 08, 2014 6:53 pm

Bullza wrote:If they wanted to it could easily be done.
Not... really...? Do you honestly expect something quality out of one movie a year? And isn't "the multiverse angle" the opposite of continuing a story? The number one complaint amongst people is inconsequentiality.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu May 08, 2014 7:05 pm

B wrote:
Bullza wrote:If they wanted to it could easily be done.
Not... really...? Do you honestly expect something quality out of one movie a year?
B is right. These things take time. Theres a lot of work behind anime episodes, let alone movies.
Especially If you want something good, at least.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu May 08, 2014 8:12 pm

Not... really...? Do you honestly expect something quality out of one movie a year?

When it comes to Dragon Ball movies? With their modest animation and formulaic simple plots? Of course they could.

They made Harry Potter movies every 12-18 months. A new Spider-man movie just came out not even two years after the last one. Making a movie each year on par with Battle of Gods which was only decent itself would be nothing.
And isn't "the multiverse angle" the opposite of continuing a story?

No because I mean for a story where Goku goes to another universe. Not a unique stand alone story.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri May 09, 2014 10:40 am

Bullza wrote:When it comes to Dragon Ball movies? With their modest animation and formulaic simple plots? Of course they could.

They made Harry Potter movies every 12-18 months. A new Spider-man movie just came out not even two years after the last one. Making a movie each year on par with Battle of Gods which was only decent itself would be nothing.
I guess we just live in different worlds. I don't want a movie just for the sake of having more movies. I want something memorable. The Harry Potter films popularized a trend of picking up young adult books and churning out a movie that can easily be marketed and sold to teenagers. Comic book films are essentially doing the same thing.

And I completely hated the first Amazing Spider-Man. I want the exact opposite of that. In everything.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri May 09, 2014 11:02 am

I want something memorable.

And that will never happen with a Dragon Ball movie, at best we'd get a fun and entertaining movie with good animation for a Japanese film like Battle of Gods and that's about it.

Dragon Ball wasn't exactly of Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings quality to begin. It will never have a fantastic and memorable anime film.

Battle of Gods was pretty good. A movie on par with that each year, maybe a little better if they cut out some of the childish antics is what's realistic and possible.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat May 10, 2014 11:26 am

Bullza wrote:
I want something memorable.

And that will never happen with a Dragon Ball movie, at best we'd get a fun and entertaining movie with good animation for a Japanese film like Battle of Gods and that's about it.

Dragon Ball wasn't exactly of Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings quality to begin. It will never have a fantastic and memorable anime film.

Battle of Gods was pretty good. A movie on par with that each year, maybe a little better if they cut out some of the childish antics is what's realistic and possible.
Short Character specific OVAs sound more reasonable, the movies dont have to be giant block busters, but character stories for the fans straight to DVD. Making OVAs on things fans want to see, the backstories, inbetween events within time-skips and elabouration on misrepresented or underrepresented concepts.
Basaku wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:Focus on Sailor Moon

No more DB please
Wut? :shock: I love SM but c'mon, getting a BRAND FRESH NEW full-fledged anime is miles above what we got in past few years. 2 new specials, 1 remake, 1 upscaled old anime and 1 new movie barely add up to maybe 10 episodes of "new animation". Dragon Ball franchise deserves the same high-budget treatement Sailor Moon is gonna get this year
Considering the state of how SM was treated in America and by Toei alone, it was almost obligatory for them to do this for Naoko. The new anime is probably the only real retelling the show has ever had simce the long running absurdities of the original anime and godawful dub.

Though I agree with you, that DBZ as it is -is getting stale with the constant rehashing, rereleasing and retelling of things we already know or things we've seen already. Soon people will get sick of having to rebuy the same thing over and over and over again. Dragonball is probably the only franchise that can get away with it.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat May 10, 2014 12:00 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
Basaku wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:Focus on Sailor Moon

No more DB please
Wut? :shock: I love SM but c'mon, getting a BRAND FRESH NEW full-fledged anime is miles above what we got in past few years. 2 new specials, 1 remake, 1 upscaled old anime and 1 new movie barely add up to maybe 10 episodes of "new animation". Dragon Ball franchise deserves the same high-budget treatement Sailor Moon is gonna get this year
Considering the state of how SM was treated in America and by Toei alone, it was almost obligatory for them to do this for Naoko. The new anime is probably the only real retelling the show has ever had simce the long running absurdities of the original anime and godawful dub.

Though I agree with you, that DBZ as it is -is getting stale with the constant rehashing, rereleasing and retelling of things we already know or things we've seen already. Soon people will get sick of having to rebuy the same thing over and over and over again. Dragonball is probably the only franchise that can get away with it.
Well, look on the bright side.

At least Yamcha will be returning to Sailor Moon Crystal to reprise his role as Sailor Earth.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat May 10, 2014 12:11 pm

Short Character specific OVAs sound more reasonable, the movies dont have to be giant block busters, but character stories for the fans straight to DVD. Making OVAs on things fans want to see, the backstories, inbetween events within time-skips and elabouration on misrepresented or underrepresented concepts.
Which would be much worse. Instead of making blockbusters movies that progress the story of Dragon Ball which would make a fair amount of money ($50 million or so) they'd make straight to DVD 20-40 minute OVA's that give the backstories on characters that don't really matter all that much?

Sure the hardcore fans would like it but it'd be pointless to do that instead of the movies which is what the usual fan would actually care to see.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Sat May 10, 2014 12:28 pm

I would like them to do a small set of OVAS regarding any new "multiverse" expansion arcs... 3-4 episodes long perhaps? That's how long I would think a Jaco anime adaptation would be like. And I'm sure they will definitely want to tie in with a manga version... made by Oiishi's, perhaps? Sequel/Episodic Movies like the new Berserk movies would be amazing too and most likely to happen as the current state of the franchise goes...

I don't think they would be able to make DB kai, though. Things point they will keep expanding forward and "sideways" (multiverse?).

But they WILL do something else soon, I feel it in my writing bones. All of these Q&A with Toriyama lately, with Oiishi asking him questions and revealing background bits... They are going back to the drawing board and setting up the background of things, and you can tell Toriyama is trying to tie in everything and make it work as a living breathing thing, although his forgetfulness doesn't help much with consistency. This is not only to keep interest after BoG. Is as if they want to show Oiishi's being groomed with lore so she can "take the mantle" of DB completely soon.

Am I the only one that senses this? :think:
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat May 10, 2014 2:08 pm

Kid Buu wrote:At least Yamcha will be returning to Sailor Moon Crystal to reprise his role as Sailor Earth.
Sorry, I don't get the joke unless youre saying Tuxedo Mask is equally useless as a character and as a fighter.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat May 10, 2014 2:18 pm

Bullza wrote:Which would be much worse. Instead of making blockbusters movies that progress the story of Dragon Ball which would make a fair amount of money ($50 million or so) they'd make straight to DVD 20-40 minute OVA's that give the backstories on characters that don't really matter all that much?
The backstory side notes would matter enough to people that follow AT. interviews, they're just visual representations of things people wanted to know. There is not going to be a massive story progressive yearly arc as you or I would want to see because AT. doesn't want to do that, getting him to even consider what became of BOG wasn't easy. I highly doubt he'd do anything more than just short stories. Regardless they'd still progress the franchise by filling the holes that syphons the depth out of the original conclusions to these questions. I'm sure there are a lot of people who'd like to see where #17 and #18 came from and how Krillin and #18 got married etc. They dont have to be huge earth shaking crises every time.
Bullza wrote:Sure the hardcore fans would like it but it'd be pointless to do that instead of the movies which is what the usual fan would actually care to see.
I don't see the difference. The "usual" fan would be equally interested, I don't see why the franchise should pander to a fraction of the bandwagon demographic that thinks so shallowly of the series. Larger movies have higher expectations, and with how BoG didn't at all stand up to its hype for anyone but the hardcore apologist fans, theres no point on wasting big budgets on gambles that are no better than the smaller stories themselves. 70% of BoG was nothing but time-wasting antics where as the real meat of the movie was at least the last 40 minutes in. Thus equalling an OVA. I cant sit through an hour and a half of shinanigans. Id rather just skip to the core plot.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat May 10, 2014 2:33 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:At least Yamcha will be returning to Sailor Moon Crystal to reprise his role as Sailor Earth.
Sorry, I don't get the joke unless youre saying Tuxedo Mask is equally useless as a character and as a fighter.
Both fighters are voiced by Toru Furuya and have a lot of similarities (start off as anti-hero thieves who spend the rest of the series tapping asses and losing fights while never really getting much interesting things to do).
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat May 10, 2014 11:08 pm

The backstory side notes would matter enough to people that follow AT.

Which is a fraction of the fanbase.
They dont have to be huge earth shaking crises every time.

That's what people want and what sells. I'm sure a lot of hardcore fans would be interested in such things, I would be but the average Dragon Ball Z wants more of what they loved about DBZ and not just some OVA about how #18 fell for Krillin.
The "usual" fan would be equally interested

Of course they wouldn't, "usual" fans took a lot of interest in and watched Battle of Gods being a canon follow up with new stronger forms and villains. The same level of interest wasn't there for the Episode of Bardock or Dragon Ball Minus.

Fans want more of this and not OVA's that go into the specifics of things that don't particularly matter. A blockbuster sequel to Battle of Gods or a 20 minute OVA showing Krillin and #18 getting married, which would get more attention and money?
theres no point on wasting big budgets

The real waste would be putting money into an OVA that everyone will just watch on the internet instead of a movie like Battle of Gods that has made so far $48 million from just it's theatrical gross and got fantastic TV ratings, they haven't wasted anything.
70% of BoG was nothing but time-wasting antics where as the real meat of the movie was at least the last 40 minutes in. Thus equalling an OVA. I cant sit through an hour and a half of shinanigans. Id rather just skip to the core plot.

The OVA's had time wasted itself and Yo Son Goku, Episode of Bardock (particulary this) and Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans were all very mediocre and worse than the boring half of Battle of Gods.

The OVA's do not have the potential that a movie has.

A lot of Battle of Gods was wasted on the party as an excuse to show all the characters because it was a reunion for the series. Future movies don't need to do that.

Sanity's_Theif
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sanity's_Theif » Sun May 11, 2014 6:31 pm

Am I the only one that thought the 2008 special majorly sucked?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun May 11, 2014 6:32 pm

Sanity's_Theif wrote:Am I the only one that thought the 2008 special majorly sucked?
You're not, but you're going to need to provide some context here. Why did you dislike it? What exactly about it did you find did not fit the spirit of Dragon Ball? Which story elements didn't seem to work out with each other? Was it the writing? The music? The overall direction?

Without providing any real impetus for a conversation, one can't take place.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 11, 2014 6:57 pm

And I completely hated the first Amazing Spider-Man. I want the exact opposite of that. In everything.
I disagree, I liked the dialog, the characters, the acting, and the romantic chemistry. Certainly better than the first and last Raimi film.

The reason Harry Potter could be churned out so fast is because many of the sets were created in the first one and then used over and over again, which cuts down significantly on pre-production. DB isn't in its heyday, so I'm not sure they could put their resources and get a return for an annual film.

I know people have this idea that taking time allows for greater quality, but TV is far better than film at the moment. They don't overthink things. I don't see why putting out a film a year makes the quality worse than say one every 2 or 3 years. The DC animated films are pretty good, and a number of them are excellent.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.