Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:06 am

To sum up: they took their old, crappy footage, played a bit with it and made it even crappier so that the new footage looked less crappy in comparison.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:24 pm

I've been reading that this is the last Z related release from FUNi. Is there any validity to that?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:34 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:I've been reading that this is the last Z related release from FUNi. Is there any validity to that?
No one in any official capacity is going to come out and say that.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:35 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:I've been reading that this is the last Z related release from FUNi. Is there any validity to that?
I've never heard anything about that. I'd would bet money marbles or chalk(That's what my grandfather says haha) that there will be another release. :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:14 pm

Where exactly?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:28 pm

SupremeSSJ wrote:
Where exactly?
On some other forums, some friends and a few youtube videos (I know..not a good source) :lol: Thats why I want to try to find whats up cause I read they were going to use the sales on this (if they're good) to fund Dragon Ball/GT blurays

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:30 am

I'd bet you a Kuririn life that after these Season Blu-rays are finished then FUNimation will come out and announce another Dragon Ball Z release. :P
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:38 am

I really don't understand the hoohah over the comparison FUNi made.
a) It was part of an extra and not a trailer.
b) The extra was part of Season 4. I'm pretty sure folks already know what they're getting themselves into.
If it was a trailer before Season 1 sure I can understand all this commotion.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:10 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I really don't understand the hoohah over the comparison FUNi made.
b) The extra was part of Season 4. I'm pretty sure folks already know what they're getting themselves into.
I'm just saying that it's a crappy comparison, and is therefore useless.

I'm pointing it out in case somebody who doesn't own them sees them and thinks they're legitimate comparisons.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:20 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
I'd bet you a Kuririn life that after these Season Blu-rays are finished then FUNimation will come out and announce another Dragon Ball Z release. :P
I know they will and I'll not be buying them. this release and Kai is it for me, I get tired of buying and re-buying Z. I'll be satisfied with these and the Dragon-boxes. I don't need a cartoon that I'm watching to be flawless. I been thinking about buying Dragon-box: The movies but those cost quite a bit and I don't have a region free DVD player and hate watching stuff like that on a laptop. we're the only franchise group I guess apart Star Wars? were we keep buying the same thing over and over. :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:06 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I really don't understand the hoohah over the comparison FUNi made.
People (here, at least) like making comparisons between the various releases. This was particularly interesting because this was FUNimation's own comparison. They did this once before with the Orange Bricks and people found out that they doctored the videos a bit to make their product look better. Now, another of FUNi's own comparisons have come up and, because people like comparing the various releases, it's a very relevant point of discussion.

If there weren't so many different versions of the same material in such a short period of time out there, this conversation probably wouldn't even be happening. It's why we have images like this one floating around:

(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Lumos

Post by Lumos » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:24 pm

This is probably going to be an awful question - and anyone can feel free to jump in and answer - but the above image is making me wonder: if the show was originally aired in 4:3 and was drawn that way (?) then how come it can exist in 16:9 because it doesn't look like the footage has been especially stretched? I know next to nothing about this side of things so humour me please? :oops: :)
The Eleventh Doctor wrote:The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things or make them unimportant.
Homer Simpson wrote:'STEALING! How could you? Why do you think I took you to see all those Police Academy movies, FOR FUN? I DIDN'T HEAR ANYONE LAUGHING, DID YOU?'

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:54 pm

Kendamu wrote:
People (here, at least) like making comparisons between the various releases. This was particularly interesting because this was FUNimation's own comparison. They did this once before with the Orange Bricks and people found out that they doctored the videos a bit to make their product look better. Now, another of FUNi's own comparisons have come up and, because people like comparing the various releases, it's a very relevant point of discussion.

If there weren't so many different versions of the same material in such a short period of time out there, this conversation probably wouldn't even be happening. It's why we have images like this one floating around:

Man...looking at all those different frames makes my head spin bud haha
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:35 pm

Lumos wrote:This is probably going to be an awful question - and anyone can feel free to jump in and answer - but the above image is making me wonder: if the show was originally aired in 4:3 and was drawn that way (?) then how come it can exist in 16:9 because it doesn't look like the footage has been especially stretched? I know next to nothing about this side of things so humour me please? :oops: :)
They want to make Dragon Ball Zeeeeee look modernistic because the TVs nowadays are widescreen so the show gotta be in widescreen too right? Nahh.

I hate when companies do this kind of bullshit as well as cleaning up the image which leads to detail loss, Viz is going to release the Sailor Moon series on Blu-ray but due to their cleaning it won't look that great according to their comparisons which were supposed to make me (us, customers) think they're better than the original R2J DVDs.

Oh well, I'll still buy the DVDs of Sailor Moon because I really want to watch the show and would've pre-order on BD had it been kept unfiltered.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Lumos

Post by Lumos » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:48 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:They want to make Dragon Ball Zeeeeee look modernistic because the TVs nowadays are widescreen so the show gotta be in widescreen too right? Nahh.

I hate when companies do this kind of bullshit as well as cleaning up the image which leads to detail loss, Viz is going to release the Sailor Moon series on Blu-ray but due to their cleaning it won't look that great according to their comparisons which were supposed to make me (us, customers) think they're better than the original R2J DVDs.

Oh well, I'll still buy the DVDs of Sailor Moon because I really want to watch the show and would've pre-order on BD had it been kept unfiltered.
Thanks for answering - I was wondering that too - but what I actually meant was how do they make it 16:9 hence why I said the footage didn't look especially stretched. Like, I can understand if it was live action because you could just show what else the camera's picked up but since it was only drawn in a 4:3 format how can the additional footage exist at all? Again, sorry if this is a stupid question!
The Eleventh Doctor wrote:The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things or make them unimportant.
Homer Simpson wrote:'STEALING! How could you? Why do you think I took you to see all those Police Academy movies, FOR FUN? I DIDN'T HEAR ANYONE LAUGHING, DID YOU?'

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:56 pm

I took this shot from 'New Kai' a while ago and as you can see even with selective cropping it's still a messy job as you're losing picture, such as Dabura's eye or Babidi's mouth, ultimately they tried to go with both losing Dabura's eye sadly.

Still, this isn't as bad as the cropping in FUNimation's Orange Brick #7 which had Kaioshin's head chopped off the picture when looking back at Gohan on the Tenkaichi Tournament (I think).
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:00 pm

Lumos wrote:This is probably going to be an awful question - and anyone can feel free to jump in and answer - but the above image is making me wonder: if the show was originally aired in 4:3 and was drawn that way (?) then how come it can exist in 16:9 because it doesn't look like the footage has been especially stretched? I know next to nothing about this side of things so humour me please? :oops: :)
The footage hasn't been stretched they're essentially zooming in the image and as a result the top and bottom of the image get cut off. For example
4:3 shot from Level sets trailer
16:9 shot from Season Blu rays
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Jabberwock xeno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jabberwock xeno » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:14 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
Jabberwock xeno wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:Not really a bad crop but it can show how they avoid bad cropping by panning. Though for this scene, it makes it a little disorienting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc3sMudMw4k
What exactly am I supposed to be looking at here?
Not 100%, but from what I can tell, around 58 seconds in, the original show tilts up to show Freeza. To fix their cropping, the camera pans up even further than the show's natural one. You can see where the show stops and the cropping adjustment starts.

The most obvious example is at 1:19. Look at the crop adjust itself as Goku moves his head. It looks so artificial. Again, around 2:34, when Goku brings his head back down, the camera comes down with it.

I mean, at least it shows they put real effort into the cropping. Still, the fact they had to do all of that just to get an 'acceptable' crop is sad.
I thought I saw what you meant at :58, but after looking at the kai comparsion, I don't. I do notice it at the other 2 spots though. What confuses me is that it seems like this would be pretty easy to prevent if it was "zoomed out" a bit more as it is in kai in those scenes, or even if they just started/ended the panning a few seconds before/after to correlate with other things moving, so it get's masked.

Wish they would just release the master footage that they made this off of (before they did any cropping/downsizing/color correction, but obviously after the film is scanned) and just let the fans do whatever to edit it as they please.
KentalSSJ6 wrote:
i'mfuckingevil wrote:if they were to ever redo the animations, THIS

*Snip*

is how it should look.
I'm all for a reanimating of the anime but I would personally prefer the animation shown in the Budokai 2 and 3 games, as I have said multiple times in the past. Art wise i'd say Yamamuro's work on the Dragonbox singles would be ideal for the animation style, before his quality went downhill anyway.
Where are those box arts from? Both in terms of the release they are from and where the images are hosted.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:29 pm

It looks like it may be from the R2J Z Singles.

Too bad the UK R2 Singles are just repackaged Orange Bricks of 'Season 1'. :?
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:04 pm

Just bought a copy of the Season One Bluray used. I want to see what these blurays are about