Favorite Movie

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Neshawn
Beyond Newbie

Re: Favorite Movie

Post by Neshawn » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:10 pm

I just watched the funimation dub of the tree of might, I hated it! I grew up watching the ocean dub and have seen it in Japanese and it seems like funs dub is watered down and in some situations they don't even translate what the character is actually going to say and add in extra voices in unnecessary parts. is this true with most of the movies? I am guessing yes... has there been a movie that the specific dub has made you enjoy it less?
"I'm THE BEAN DADDY!"

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:07 pm

I haven't watched them all in a while, but if memory serves...

Dead Zone - I like the time period the story is set in, I like how Goku and Piccolo are still enemies, and I like how the main villain has his own agenda besides JUST ruling the world. Also, he gains immortality. What I dislike is Garlic Jr's overall design, and how he "dies" at the end. So incredibly stupid. He's kind of....very.....lame. 7.5/10

World's Strongest - I really liked how Master Roshi got some spotlight, loved the setting in the movie and a lot of the fight choreography. Also loved how Piccolo was brainwashed for a while. Out of the first three, I think I enjoyed this one the most, surprisingly. Giant robot with brain was cool too. Used to joke about his name as a kid with my sis. 7.5/10

Tree of Might - Don't remember much except that Turles was initially supposed to be "Evil Goku." Bared a few similarities to Goku's fight with Vegeta, though. And it's funny to think Turles believed he could overtake Frieza with the fruits from the tree. From what I recall of the plot, King Kai tells Goku of the tree of might, they go check it out, fight breaks out, Gohan goes to help, Gohan spots Goku look-a-like, Gohan gets curbstomped before Piccolo shows up, Piccolo gets f'd up, Goku comes to save the day, Turles eats fruit, Gohan transforms into Oozaru at one point, and Goku uses spirit bomb to kill Turles. That was the whole movie, right? lol 7/10

Lord Slug - Incredibly uninspired when you compare the main villain to King Piccolo, but seeing pseudo-SSJ Goku was cool. It was entertaining seeing Earth get invaded, the post-apocalyptic setting, and seeing Piccolo rip his ears off. 7/10

Both Cooler movies - I like Cooler's design, but I found both of these movies incredibly boring, especially the second one. Moves very quickly into the fights, and has little plot. We learn nothing about Cooler or his relationship with Frieza. He's just....there. Sadly, it's not as bad as King Cold's pointless appearance in the series. 6.5/10, and 5.5/10

Super Android 13 - Androids pop up, they fight, Androids have upperhand, Vegeta shows up, they all turn SSJ and beat the androids, 13 reveals his final form, Goku get punched in the balls, Goku absorbs his spirit bomb and wins. Still...the fact that it's set during a time period where seeing a SSJ was like seeing Jesus on Earth wins it brownie points. 7/10

Broly movies - Okay, so Broly has an absolutely terrible backstory. I hate everything about this character except the fact that he looks fucking cool--because he does. He's not even the legendary Super Saiyan; he's A legendary Super Saiyan because after this film that's apparently a thing now. I mean, idk what to say. The concept of having the z-warriors fight the SSJ of legend, as well as the whole new Planet Vegeta thing, was cool and could have made for, potentially, the best DBZ movie, but the execution bombed. The fight against Broly was cool though, but the way he dies was just terrible. 2nd Broly movie was just godawful, and the 3rd one was even worse. Why give Goten and Trunks the roles of main protagonists? 6.5/10, 5/10, and 4.5/10.

Bojack Unbound - This may be my favorite DBZ movie, but I'm biased because of the time period it's set in. First of all, it's the only one that focuses on Gohan after the Cell games (as in, preteen Gohan). The entire tournament idea was really cool, and I feel it should have been expanded a bit to see more MUs like the Tien vs Trunks one. The setting was pretty surreal and cool, and we got some decent build-up before these aliens took the place of the fake aliens, and started assassinating people out of nowhere. Lastly, we got to see SSJ2 Preteen Gohan again, which is always a plus. I just wish we learned a little more about these villains. Not only were they pretty....blah....in terms of design, but they have very little backstory at all, yet they're so powerful. Mind you, not many DBZ villains get any backstory at all, but they just came out of nowhere. 8.5/10

Fusion Reborn - Loved this movie too. The main villain was just great--his design was awesome, his abilities were surreal, and his origin makes him the embodiment of evil. Seeing the return of many villains was neat, the comedic moments with zombies and Hitler were amusing, seeing Vegeta and Goku mess up their fusion was hilarious, and Gogeta is awesome. Not a major plot, but a fun one that accomplished what it sought to do. 8.5/10

Wrath of the Dragon - Great movie. Probably had a darker tone compared to other DBZ ones, as well as more plot. I'd even go on to say it wasn't very DBZ-ish at all in many ways, but it was definitely a breath of fresh air and added to Trunks' character, as well as to Goku's abilities. Nice to see a plot-driven DBZ film, as opposed to solely action based. 8/10

Battle of Gods - Ummm......I didn't like it, but it wasn't bad. I personally just don't like the tone of these last few DBZ films/specials. There's been a trend since the 2008 special where DBZ has gotten even more cutesy and comedic based than it was during the Buu saga. I understand DB was more focused on comedy initially, and Toriyama is a gag manga artist, but what made this franchise so popular in the first place was the minute Krillin died and King Piccolo was introduced, and later, the Saiyans and Frieza surfacing. The plot got more serious from then on until it regressed with the Buu saga, which is considered by many to be the weakest of the DBZ sagas. That's not to say I want some super serious DBZ film, as I know the roots of this franchise, but I'm sure everyone knows what I mean, whether they disagree or not.

Anyways, as for the movie itself, I just don't like this God concept thing. I swear, it feels like they ripped this from Bleach, where Aizen turned into a god and nobody could sense his powers until Ichigo reached that level cause, apparently, only gods can sense/beat gods. What this does is take away a key element from the series: training. For example, Vegeta can train night and day, but it is literally impossible to reach the level of Goku, Beerus, and Whis unless he becomes a god first. And how does he do this? By getting the energy of 5 pure hearted Saiyans! What is this? Sailor Moon? Terrible. lol. Aside from this, the main villain looks like a rabbit, but despite that, I like him. I really do, especially in the English dub. What I don't like is that he brings nothing to the table in terms of power. For two gods fighting, him vs Goku didn't stand out all that much when you compare it to every other fight in the series. Geez, just look at Buu; he had this plethora of abilities. Beerus, on the other hand, is nothing special; he's just overpowered. Lastly, the comedy was hit or miss, but took up 70% of the film. 7/10
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Neshawn
Beyond Newbie

Post by Neshawn » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:35 pm

I love the list, I agree with so many of your points! my favorite being about wrath of the dragon differing from other action driven movies and being more plot based. DBZ has gotten a little bit cutesy that is for sure, I enjoy the humor but I agree sometimes I feel they can go overboard. I do however acknowledge it is a children's cartoon that has turned into such a big thing that any extra violence or darkness could turn parents off about their kids watching it. they have a tough job making these movies now, they are really walking a tightrope between older/og fans and young/new fans.
anyway.... I do agree it's nice to see roshi get some nice choreographed fighting in, in worlds strongest. battle of gods is a good movie in my mind, pretty funny and some good action, but I do agree that this whole God thing is kind of a slippery slope. Very cool power up but it does make it much harder to encorporate anyone who doesn't get some sort of godly power boost. I do think though that no matter how strong goku is he will keep training.
"I'm THE BEAN DADDY!"

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:42 pm

Right now it's probably Battle of Gods but for the longest time it was Bojack Unbound.
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

Neshawn
Beyond Newbie

Post by Neshawn » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:00 am

bojack unbound is definitely one of if not my favorite dbz movies too!
"I'm THE BEAN DADDY!"

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:37 am

Battle of Gods is my favorite movie. I like almost everything about it, except how Goku becomes a Super Saiyan God. It felt very random and silly, like come on holding hands? Rounding out the top 5 would be Fusion Reborn, Tree of Might, Wrath of the Dragon, and Bojack Unbound. I really hope the 2015 movie makes my top five because I have high expectations of it being good.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:18 am

Dead Zone is still my favourite with World's Strongest just behind it. I also like Wrath of Dragon for the same point that it felt really different. The pacing did not make it feel like a Dragonball film but it accomplished so much in its allotted time. Tree of Might gets runner up from me since we get to see the cast one last time before the Saiyans completely take over!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:28 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I understand DB was more focused on comedy initially, and Toriyama is a gag manga artist, but what made this franchise so popular in the first place was the minute Krillin died and King Piccolo was introduced, and later, the Saiyans and Freeza surfacing.
Hold your horses! Where do you pull this information from regarding the popularity?

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:54 pm

sangofe wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:I understand DB was more focused on comedy initially, and Toriyama is a gag manga artist, but what made this franchise so popular in the first place was the minute Krillin died and King Piccolo was introduced, and later, the Saiyans and Freeza surfacing.
Hold your horses! Where do you pull this information from regarding the popularity?
You got me. I have no numbers. lol. But I can only assume considering the series continued going in that direction. I know for a fact the franchise didn't become popular in the west (well, US and UK) until that point.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:58 pm

My favorite movie so far is Battle Of Gods. Loved the comedy, loved the action and Beerus and Whis are the best new additions to the Dragon Ball roster since Future Trunks. They were awesome. Up until then, Wrath Of The Dragon was hands down the best Dragon Ball movie ever. Tapion was a badass with sympathetic backstory, the action was fantastic, Hirudegarn looked really cool and Trunks got to be the main character. The only real negative about Wrath Of The Dragon is that ending is a little anti-climatic. I mean Goku just pulls a new move out of his ass and then wins.

My Overal Ranking:
1. Battle Of Gods (An immensely entertaining experience from start to finish)
2. Wrath Of Dragon (Great action, good new characters, good character development and quite a good plot)
3. Fusion Reborn (Great action, good comedy and awesome chemistry between Goku and Vegeta)
4. Bojack Unbound (Gohan was the star of the show and rightfully so)
5. The Worlds Strongest (Some of the best choreographed fights I have ever seen Dragon Ball.)
6. The Legendary Super Saiyan (Incredibly tense tone and Broly is a badass not matter what you look at. But a flat character he also is. The ending was pure bullshit)
7. Return Of Metal Cooler (Metal Cooler looked sick and his battle with Goku was amazing. Everything else was forgettable)
8. Cooler Revenge (The sequel of this was better)
9. Lord Slug (Meh.)
10. Super Android 13 (Boooooooriiiiing)
11. Dead Zone. (This lead to the worst arc in Dragon Ball history)
12. Broly: Second Coming (A anime filler movie if I've ever seen one)
13. Tree Of Might (Evil Goku? Yeah, no)
14. Bio-Broly (Just garbage. Third time wasn't the charm)

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:59 pm

I ranked the movies for countless times, but my all time favs will be probably 2008 Special and Battle Of Gods, as they are proper continuations and not these special anime holiday movies, that take the characters and put them in some situation and such.
But from the old ones, definitely Movie 9 and Movie 1 right after it :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

MajinAsura

Post by MajinAsura » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:44 pm

My top three are Bardock father of Goku, Cooler's revenge, and obviously BoG. The 2015 movie will probably top the list, though.
My pet peeves:
People who spell Broly "Brolli"
People who call Beerus "Bills"
People who think that super Saiyan 4 Gogeta is coming back for Fukkatsu no F
People who think Broly can kill ssj3 Goku
People who hate Gohan in the Buu Saga
People who think Broly could kill FREAKIN' BEERUS

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:24 pm

1. Tree of Might: Everyone got a chance to fight, had a cool villain, a nice gloomy backdrop and an interesting concept (The Tree). Also has the most dubs which means it can be viewed in many ways.
2. Dead Zone: Good villains + nice backdrop. Along with Tree of Might and World's Strongest it featured the best hand to hand combat in the series history. Also out of all the movies it makes Piccolo look the most badass.
3. Fusion Reborn: Just a nice dumb, highly entertaining film with not much real thought put into it.
4. Super Android 13!: See Fusion Reborn.
5. World's Strongest: Good but not great, also don't like the idea of Piccolo being possessed.
6. Lord Slug: Pretty middle of the road film.
7. Cooler's Revenge: I don't recall liking it much when i first saw it, although that may be due to the terrible nu metal soundtrack FUNi slapped on to it. It had some really neat villains.
8. The Return of Cooler: A nice concept but it lacks a main villain/boss and henchmen which should be in every DBZ movie.
9. Bio-Broly: Good concept, horrid execution.
10. Legendary Super Saiyan: Too bleak and features an awful villain (although Paragus was a decent character). The hilarious Big Green dub for this is watchable though.
11. Broly - Second Coming: It would have been much better if an new villain was made for this film. This is just mind numbingly boring and really suffers from Goten/Trunks being the main characters and the lack of Vegeta/Piccolo.

Can't make a judgement on:
Bojack Unbound, Battle of Gods, Wrath of the Dragon
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub