The movie fights vs anime fights

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jollyr
Beyond Newbie

The movie fights vs anime fights

Post by jollyr » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:30 am

I've recently been rewatching all the movies and I have to say that the fight scenes in the movies are way cooler than the animes, they're so much more kung fu like and it seems like they actually do practice martial arts instead of just beating the crap out of each other. They're all flipping around and doing Jackie Chan Bruce Lee type of stuff and I really love it. It's almost made me see the series in a new light. Does anyone else feel this way?

On an unrelated there were a few movies I haven't seen yet (and still haven't got to all of them yet) but I was actually really surprised by Bio Broly. I really didn't care for movie ten but Bio Broly was cool and I like that the main characters were 18, Satan and the kids. Its characters we don't get to see interact a lot. And as said before the fights were really good and I actually like Bio Broly better than Broly, hes like a Frankensteins Monster of the DB universe.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: The movie fights vs anime fights

Post by Kakacarrottop » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:39 am

I think the first 3 movies were when the franchise peaked in terms of hand to hand combat. I mean Goku fighting all of Tullece's henchmen at once (without using any ki-blasts) and Roshi doing the same against Wheelo's Bio-Warriors was about as kung fu as Dragon Ball ever got. After those 3 movies the fights were either childish and focused too much on ki-blasts (eg DBGT) or dragged on for waaaaay too long (eg The Freeza and Cell fights).
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:08 am

Kakacarrottop wrote:I think the first 3 movies were when the franchise peaked in terms of hand to hand combat. I mean Goku fighting all of Tullece's henchmen at once (without using any ki-blasts) and Roshi doing the same against Wheelo's Bio-Warriors was about as kung fu as Dragon Ball ever got. After those 3 movies the fights were either childish and focused too much on ki-blasts (eg DBGT) or dragged on for waaaaay too long (eg The Freeza and Cell fights).
Don't forget Goku fighting Garlick Jr's henchmen with the Power Pole.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:22 pm

I think the first 3 movies were when the franchise peaked in terms of hand to hand combat. I mean Goku fighting all of Tullece's henchmen at once (without using any ki-blasts) and Roshi doing the same against Wheelo's Bio-Warriors was about as kung fu as Dragon Ball ever got. After those 3 movies the fights were either childish and focused too much on ki-blasts (eg DBGT) or dragged on for waaaaay too long (eg The Freeza and Cell fights).
Thats the main problem you will have to face when you give superpowers to your characters.
Hand to hand combat looks way more entertaining (visually speakin) but on the more logical side, isn´t it much better and efficient blasting energy balls with the power of billons nuclear nuclear warheads is it? (cause why would you finish a work in 25 steps when you have tools to archive the same but in 2 steps)
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

KameRule
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameRule » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:40 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Thats the main problem you will have to face when you give superpowers to your characters.
Hand to hand combat looks way more entertaining (visually speakin) but on the more logical side, isn´t it much better and efficient blasting energy balls with the power of billons nuclear nuclear warheads is it? (cause why would you finish a work in 25 steps when you have tools to archive the same but in 2 steps)
I dunno, I mean technically melee attacks could be stronger as they could potentially just add the characters' already impressive physical strength (which can't all be just ki) to the ki used in energy blasts.
Master, the batteries inside your Wii Remote are nearly depleted.

Master, there is a 98% chance that the floor is beneath you.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:43 pm

I dunno, I mean technically melee attacks could be stronger as they could potentially just add the characters' already impressive physical strength (which can't all be just ki) to the ki used in energy blasts.
But that doesn´t change the fact that a billon nuclear warheads ki-attack is far more effective than punching your opponent in the face.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Tatakae!!Ramenman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatakae!!Ramenman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:20 pm

I just watched the Dub of movies 2 and 3 this morning and every hit felt so solid. Those 2 movies did an especially good job with the fights.
Neo died for our smiths.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:29 pm

For the most part I feel the movie fights we kind of bland. Nishio Daisuke did mange to storyboard some nice fights for the first three films but afterward it began to feel like the nobody was really trying in the other films. Shida Naotoshi's fight scene for Dragon Ball Z: Kami to Kami is perhaps the one outlier. It's a shame, especially given the higher number of drawings the films were allowed.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Tatakae!!Ramenman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatakae!!Ramenman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:33 pm

I agree, but the fight scene where Goku gets beat up by Cooler before turning SS in movie 4 was done well too.
Neo died for our smiths.