Why is Toei reanimating Sailor Moon but not DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Re: Why is Toei reanimating Sailor Moon but not DBZ?

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:06 am

So the TV version will probably be the refined versions of episodes with lots of shots redrawn.
Hopefully, any Dragon Ball series (most likely, a Heroes series) will get the same treatment in the future: listening to the fans' complaints about shots being drawn weirdly during TV airing and redraw half the shots to erase any imperfection for the Blu-ray.

Enhancing things after release should be mandatory when it's all "virtual" easily-tweakable things (meaning animation and video games).
Redoing the special effects for old live-action shows into special editions (while keeping the original available of course) should also be mandatory, as there is nothing worst to take you out of the seriousness of a story than a PS1 CGI effect.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:10 pm

There's no reason to alter old shows. If it sucks, it sucks. Oh well. I've just say through the first ninety episodes of Naruto (2002), I know a thing or two about sitting through backgrounds that look like they are out of Bushidou Blade. Dragon Ball doesn't have that problem, because it did without unnecessary movement.

A new Dragon Ball series probably would need corrections, though, given how it would likely be made in the middle of production on eight other shows, like Toei Animation is currently producing.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:43 pm

JulieYBM wrote:There's no reason to alter old shows. If it sucks, it sucks.
I don't know, I think it's the opposite of being faithful to those shows: if the audience thought "pretty cool special effects" and thought a scene was legendary, then the new one nowadays should not think "ew, that's an ugly PS1 effect, that scene looks ridiculous". It may seem like a paradox, but to be faithful to the original, you need to change things, so that the impact is the one intended and successfully obtained back then. That is, again, while keeping the original version available for purists, students and people wanting to discover what it was back then and what people liked back then as it was.

Basically, I think if you don't alter stuff such as CGI or making it high definition, you do add a negative impact to the show that was never intended, you betray the fact that the scene was originally perceived as "wow" and meant to be that way and nowadays by definition it will be perceived as crappy post-production that makes a scene forgetable instead of legendary, ruining the show and moment instead of pushing it.

I wouldn't advice it for films as they usually have directing and production that stands the test of time, but old shows like Buffy would be totally acceptable even for today's audience if it wasn't for the CGI looking ridiculously old now compared to the new standards of TV shows.
A scene with way-too-outdated CGI cannot be taken seriously, and you want the audience nowadays to enjoy things as much as people did back then.

That's what I think anyway, it has to adapt to standards, so I wish old live-action shows (meaning from the 90s and early 2000s) would have their whatever-it-is re-scanned in HD (not original footage upscaled, really the film re-scanned) and CGI redone with today's technology to look much more impressive and acceptable, all as a special Blu-ray edition.

But as far as manga and games go (or CGI animation movies like Final Fantasy VII Advent Children), regular updates in the upcoming including graphic refinements and/or all-new elements to extend it are enough.
It can always be more than what it was when released.

Anyway, some think a work of art is a fixed point in time, others that it's like a living thing that needs to adapt to keep going. I think the second: enhance, refine, update, colorize, and when too much time has passed for it to be viable despite updates and touch-ups, remake from scratch (like Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Oddworld, Ducktales, Sailor Moon...)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:24 pm

Intentions mean nothing. Folks intend to win baseball games, but that doesn't mean they do. Works of art are separate from the beings that made them. Even if we do play with the idea of 'intentions' these shows are intended to be cheap crap produced to air on television once or twice and then never see the light of day again. Nobody really expects a long running work to live on forever through home video re-releases, that's why they're produced with not making their money back through home video releases in mind. The awful PlayStation CG was just as awful ten years ago. Nobody is fooling themselves into thinking the CG looks good. It's there because directors lack the discipline to do without what they cannot accomplish through hand drawn animation with the time, money and animators they currently have on hand.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Jabberwock xeno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jabberwock xeno » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:12 am

Cold Skin wrote:So the TV version will probably be the refined versions of episodes with lots of shots redrawn.
Hopefully, any Dragon Ball series (most likely, a Heroes series) will get the same treatment in the future: listening to the fans' complaints about shots being drawn weirdly during TV airing and redraw half the shots to erase any imperfection for the Blu-ray.

Enhancing things after release should be mandatory when it's all "virtual" easily-tweakable things (meaning animation and video games).
Redoing the special effects for old live-action shows into special editions (while keeping the original available of course) should also be mandatory, as there is nothing worst to take you out of the seriousness of a story than a PS1 CGI effect.
Speaking of heros, I would kill for blu ray quality versions of the heros shorts, I wonder if they will be included as extras in something anytime soon.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:43 am

Kid Buu wrote:Toru Furuya for Dimande hopefully.

I do think it is funny that Furuya still voices Yamcha, but all his other famous roles have been recast.
Would it be because of his age?
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:05 am

Attitudefan wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:Toru Furuya for Dimande hopefully.

I do think it is funny that Furuya still voices Yamcha, but all his other famous roles have been recast.
Would it be because of his age?
He still sounds the same to me. My favorite Furuya role is Kyoske Kasuga in Kimagure Orange Road, which is my all-time favorite anime.

For all the shit Toei gets about treating DB, I do like how they maintained the same voice cast over the years.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ImmaDeker
Banned

Post by ImmaDeker » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:14 am

JulieYBM wrote:Even if we do play with the idea of 'intentions' these shows are intended to be cheap crap produced to air on television once or twice and then never see the light of day again.
Then altering or enhancing shouldn't really be a big deal either.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:49 am

Set 1 part 2 shipped today, and it seems like picture quality got much better https://twitter.com/fredjfrancis/status ... 6207921152
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mosaic » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:40 am

It looks like they upped the contrast and sharpened it more. The screencap looks fine, but I wonder how it looks in motion?

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:15 pm

coola wrote: Rumored voice actors:
Diamond = Mamoru Miyano
...a character I swooned over as a teenage girl being played by a guy I regularly swoon over as a not-even-close-to-teenage girl now? *Passes out*

Now we've just got to get that boy a role in the new Dragon Ball movie and I'll happily have Mamoru Miyano all up in the shows that started and nurtured my love of anime :D
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

BrolyLSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by BrolyLSSJ » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:26 pm

Dbz old......
Sailor moon has a bigger base because of females and the fact the series was kinda longer and had a plot....unlike dbz....
Dragon Ball Multiverse (Not the comics)<Where to find me!
"GROWING STRONGER! YES...STRONGER!-Broly

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:10 pm

BrolyLSSJ wrote:and had a plot....unlike dbz....
Well, this is clearly nonsense.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:27 pm

BrolyLSSJ wrote:Dbz old......
Sailor moon has a bigger base because of females and the fact the series was kinda longer and had a plot....unlike dbz....
So much wrong with that.

1) Dragon Ball Z has a waaaayyyy bigger fanbase than Sailor Moon. Dragon Ball isn't the second best selling manga of all time for no reason.
2) Sailor Moon lasted 200 episodes and DBZ lasted 291. Sailor Moon had 18 volumes and Dragon Ball had 42.
3) At least 1/3 of all of Sailor Moon followed the whole Monster Of The Week shtick and Dragon Ball Z is Wuxia. So don't give that whole "DBZ had no plot" rubbish.

ImmaDeker
Banned

Post by ImmaDeker » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:23 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: 3) At least 1/3 of all of Sailor Moon followed the whole Monster Of The Week shtick and Dragon Ball Z is Wuxia. So don't give that whole "DBZ had no plot" rubbish.
These are genres (well, the former would be more of a format). You have successfully convinced our friend Dragonball has a recognizable genre, something he never once questioned at any point. This is counterproductive.

What you're actually looking for, presumably your English class told you at some point, is "the main events of a play, novel, movie, or similar work, devised and presented by the writer as an interrelated sequence," which is the definition of the word plot in the context of storytelling and composing fiction.

Dragonball has a series of focal events put in a sequence, so yes, it has a plot.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:38 pm

ImmaDeker wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: 3) At least 1/3 of all of Sailor Moon followed the whole Monster Of The Week shtick and Dragon Ball Z is Wuxia. So don't give that whole "DBZ had no plot" rubbish.
These are genres (well, the former would be more of a format). You have successfully convinced our friend Dragonball has a recognizable genre, something he never once questioned at any point. This is counterproductive.

What you're actually looking for, presumably your English class told you at some point, is "the main events of a play, novel, movie, or similar work, devised and presented by the writer as an interrelated sequence," which is the definition of the word plot in the context of storytelling and composing fiction.

Dragonball has a series of focal events put in a sequence, so yes, it has a plot.
Thanks Mr Smartass! :thumbup:

ImmaDeker
Banned

Post by ImmaDeker » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:39 pm

You're welcome.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:59 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
BrolyLSSJ wrote:Dbz old......
So much wrong with that.

2) Sailor Moon lasted 200 episodes and DBZ lasted 291. Sailor Moon had 18 volumes and Dragon Ball had 42.
If we're going to be technical here, we should be comparing Sailor Moon's 200 episodes to Dragon Ball's total 508.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:02 am

Isn't it more around 498 episodes?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:12 am

Kid Buu wrote:Isn't it more around 498 episodes?
153 + 291 + 64 makes a total of 508.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."