Color Correcting the Dragon Box - 3 Part Spectacular

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

cheetos

Re: Color Correcting the Dragon Box - 3 Part Spectacular

Post by cheetos » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:54 pm

That's because I got a little carried away with the hue+Sat. I'm gonna rip it without subs here this afternoon.
This is just removing color cast no additional filters.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:06 pm

Something quick I did

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:19 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Something quick I did
The armour looks like yellowish-green on all the other screenshots and imo, that just doesn't look natural. Dragon Box Z colours even if inappropriate are still my pick.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:40 pm

It's a shame we can't pick and choose aspects from each. The mouth and skin colours are a nice balance on the "quick fix" version but the armour is a nasty green. The third one ("my version") looks pretty good especially the sky, smoke as well as the blue & white areas of clothing but the rest of the armour (yellow bits) look best with the warmer yellow of the Dragon Box. Only problem with that one is the sky being too green.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:40 pm

Its kind of funny looking at all the releases and how different the color can get

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:19 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Something quick I did
Oddly, I just happened to have a near identical screen saved of my own version...
Funny how the your version and my version are pretty close (I think I altered the skin tones a bit more... that's about it though).

A few more because I love this thread...
(Originals are on the left)
Don't know about you guys, but AVISynth all the way for me.
eledoremassis02 wrote:Its kind of funny looking at all the releases and how different the color can get
Wow... I've never seen an original broadcast recording on that DB epsiode (Goku vs. Tenshinahn). I think the DBox is closer to the original broadcast than the DVD singles.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Jabberwock xeno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jabberwock xeno » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:10 am

It's nice to see a topic like this explaining how to do this sort of thing for people who are unfamiliar with it. Props to the OP.

This is something I thought about doing (color correcting my sets, not making a topic) for a while, perhaps this will be the thing to push me to do it.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:51 am

If you can color correct them without losing the Grain, then you're onto something!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:14 am

Not Dragon Box, but I desaturated the singles and Blue bricks a bit and was pleased with the outcome (added some broadcast audio too :D)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPwI-Tk6OwY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASv-74L0b48

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:35 am

LordCrumb wrote:If you can color correct them without losing the Grain, then you're onto something!
The guide in the first couple posts doesn't alter any grain. Several of us apply some sort of grain removal to our own tastes, but that varies from person to person (although I think all of us that have posted screens use nothing along the lines of FUNIs grain removal-- theirs is overkill). I make my own encodes and just prefer smaller file sizes somewhat (you need a large bitrate to maintain the grain, otherwise you get blocks). I also hardcode the subtitles and adjust the resolution and everything then encode (it's not as efficient, but I find it makes my videos play on more devices).
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Jabberwock xeno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jabberwock xeno » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:54 pm

ect5150 wrote:
LordCrumb wrote:If you can color correct them without losing the Grain, then you're onto something!
The guide in the first couple posts doesn't alter any grain. Several of us apply some sort of grain removal to our own tastes, but that varies from person to person (although I think all of us that have posted screens use nothing along the lines of FUNIs grain removal-- theirs is overkill). I make my own encodes and just prefer smaller file sizes somewhat (you need a large bitrate to maintain the grain, otherwise you get blocks). I also hardcode the subtitles and adjust the resolution and everything then encode (it's not as efficient, but I find it makes my videos play on more devices).
On a related note, though, if somebody could make a grain removal guide, that would be awesome.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:36 pm

Jabberwock xeno wrote:On a related note, though, if somebody could make a grain removal guide, that would be awesome.
This will depend on other factors. Some of us use VirtualDub. It has some grain removal plug-ins. Others use Adobe Premiere (I've never used it, but I'm sure it has it's own). I personally use AVISynth, so it's a scripting language. I actually use this function (which I learned from another member of this thread... sorry, can't remember the username, but I'll edit it if I run across it -- he used this function along with several others to kill the grain).

Code: Select all

SMDegrain(tr=2,thSAD=800,search=5,pel=1,blksize=8,RefineMotion=true)
Note, this function is slow as the devil - but I personally prefer the results. Leaves just enough grain without destroying the image.

You can see the results here (just focusing on the grain, not the color correction):
AVISynth has a few other functions out there. Here is a small list of popular filters (I see "Deen" used a lot, but I think its too harsh a lot of times)

I'll also post the AVISynth function I made to deal with altering the Cyans to Blues. In the guide in the first few posts, he uses a plugin in VirtualDub. The plugin can generate artifacts (basically, colors that aren't being changed... it makes it look blocky). The solution is to change those extra colors by smaller amounts (a gradient of sorts). Here is a dynamic function that will alter it without generating those artifacts:
You would use it as such:

Code: Select all

CB(offset=-7, green_rate=1, blue_rate=1)
Where -7 means you are "twisting" the color wheel for the cyan section 7 degrees toward the blue section. I will say it currently doesn't work for +7 (changing cyans to greens). I would have to flip a few things in the script for that too work. Again, the idea here was to eliminate the artifacts. Leave green_rate and blue_rate alone unless you are moving the offset by more than 15 degrees (for each 15 degree increase, you would probably want to increase the rate by 1... but if you are altering the color wheel by 45 degrees... that is a LARGE color change).

The others should chime in with what they use.
ect5150

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:27 pm

Someone asked me via PM to try to match the original broadcast colors of episode 31. Here's my rough attempt. It can always be improved (but as any of us know that do this... its a very tedious process), but feel free to critique.

Original Broadcast
My alterations beside the untouched DragonBox
And here is my script for the entire episode:
EDIT: Left off a negative sign in once scene in the script above. Made it extra green instead of blue. It has been fixed now.
Last edited by ect5150 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ect5150

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:50 pm

AnimeMaakuo, I assume. I was doing the same with him and hope to continue soon but damn, totally misjudged how much free time I had.

Your work is good though. I don't have much to say about it.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:01 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:AnimeMaakuo, I assume. I was doing the same with him and hope to continue soon but damn, totally misjudged how much free time I had.

Your work is good though. I don't have much to say about it.
I gave ect5150 a screenshot from episode 31 to colour correct because my software was updating and I needed someone else to attempt it for me. There's an enormous folder I'm planning to show Chris and I've not decided how to organize the pictures yet.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:43 am

AnimeMaakuo also sent a PM to me, and I'm sorry I didn't get back in time. Glad that someone else could help.

I will say though, that the broadcast rip looks like the hue was shifted towards green. I don't mean a green cast like Kai, I mean like someone adjusting the tint on their TV towards green. Skin looks yellowish, reds look orange and blues look purple.

Those corrections look fantastic though, ect5150.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:15 am

Metalwario64 wrote:AnimeMaakuo also sent a PM to me, and I'm sorry I didn't get back in time. Glad that someone else could help.

I will say though, that the broadcast rip looks like the hue was shifted towards green. I don't mean a green cast like Kai, I mean like someone adjusting the tint on their TV towards green. Skin looks yellowish, reds look orange and blues look purple.

Those corrections look fantastic though, ect5150.
Keep in mind that these recordings are over 20+ years old. I don't believe the TV settings were adjusted around the time of the original broadcast.
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:17 am

Pretty sure TV settings changes affect only what you actually see on the TV, not whatever's output into a recording.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:46 am

I'm not saying that it was a TV's fault. I'm just using that as an example so people don't think I mean a green cast like Kai.

I'm just saying the colors look shifted towards the right on the color spectrum, as they would look if they were tinted towards green in the picture settings. Oranges look yellowish, blues look purple, and such.

They don't match with the broadcast rips I saw from Kei years ago. They're probably not a good source for the original colors, because the color information is probably faded, which might explain the hue shift.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:03 am

The tapes are only a very basic guideline. There's a lot of colour shift to them and that's just the nature of aged VHS tapes. You have to take them with a pinch of salt.

For Example:
Colour correction is an art. You can't straight up copy VHS stuff or it looks absolutely terrible.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.