New Interview with Creator of Dragon Ball GT Rap

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: New Interview with Creator of Dragon Ball GT Rap

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:56 pm

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:
In my honest opinion, I believe FUNi screwed up big time with this one. They should of just kept the intended music of the show; it would've been a lot more deserving than this crap. How do you think Americans would feel if other countries changed the music of Indiana Jones or Star Wars with gangster rap? It would be laughable and overrated. The same applies here.
Same thing whenever Japan and other countries change our cartoons' music. We don't care what they do over there. (Seriously I've asked guys and the response is usually that).

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:01 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:
In my honest opinion, I believe FUNi screwed up big time with this one. They should of just kept the intended music of the show; it would've been a lot more deserving than this crap. How do you think Americans would feel if other countries changed the music of Indiana Jones or Star Wars with gangster rap? It would be laughable and overrated. The same applies here.
Same thing whenever Japan and other countries change our cartoons' music. We don't care what they do over there. (Seriously I've asked guys and the response is usually that).
They just change the theme songs, which is understandable. I've never heard of the Japanese changing an entire score from a western cartoon.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:07 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:

Oh yeah? Check this out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB9mGSq83gQ

This was the ending song for Japan's release of "Little Nicky."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_ZX-1WmBD4

And the USA ending song.

TBH I like Japanese music cause it's different. Both songs are good but the first one (by that mean I mean the original, English one, not the first one I posted) really fits the movie better. I wonder if any Japanese would like the American song or if most would approve the change? Honestly, I doubt most even know the music was replaced at all.
Last edited by GS7X7 on Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

Tatakae!!Ramenman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatakae!!Ramenman » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:17 pm

What turns me off about the GT rap isn't that it's bad, but more just that rap is involved in a dragon ball. But if someone said to make a rap for GT, not necessarily the theme song, I can't imagine one being that much better than the one they came up with.
Neo died for our smiths.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:18 pm

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:Instead of using the cheerful and adventurous tune from the original Japanese version
Eh? Dan Dan is a whiny song about a guy pining for a girl and never expressing his feelings. It's the exact opposite of "cheerful and adventurous".

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:23 pm

I love Dan Dan, but Rocketman is right. I do think, at least as far as tone goes, Hitori Janai fits that bill fine.
Super Sonic wrote: Same thing whenever Japan and other countries change our cartoons' music. We don't care what they do over there. (Seriously I've asked guys and the response is usually that).

As hype as the Transformers and X-Men Opening is (along with some of the TMNT Openings), I would personally have a problem if I created a series and another country decided to change aspects to it like the music. Or, at the very least, I'd have to look at the changes myself and see if they fit. That's just me, though.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Kakarot9001
Banned

Post by Kakarot9001 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:24 pm

Die.

(I know this is not a question)

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:29 pm

Kakarot9001 wrote:Die.

Is this hateful comment really necessary?
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:52 pm

Rocketman wrote:
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:Instead of using the cheerful and adventurous tune from the original Japanese version
Eh? Dan Dan is a whiny song about a guy pining for a girl and never expressing his feelings. It's the exact opposite of "cheerful and adventurous".
Isn't the song itself basically him finally making an expression of his feelings to the girl? I wouldn't necessarily call it whiny either. Lots of animes have songs that don't match what's on screen- the first intro of Hokuto no Ken's a great example.

http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/dbgt/dbgtopen.htm

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:01 pm

Kakarot9001 wrote:Die.

We really don't need shit like this.

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:14 pm

We're really getting off topic on the subject of the GT rapper guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TERSSX9XC2o

Hmm... maybe ask him if he's played Dragon Ball GT Transformation? I know the game uses a lot of remixed music from the show. I'm not even a fan of GT's English soundtrack but the remixed songs for the game actually sound quite good.

TheLegend23
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheLegend23 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:42 am

You should ask him his thoughts on GT compared to the rest of the series.

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:09 pm

I just finished my interview with the artist. It went well, and will be on my site next week. I'll post the link here once it goes live.

Thanks for your questions. I believe I asked all of them, so you'll get your answers in a few days.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:44 pm

Oh wow, someone actually joked about murdering the GT Rap guy? Even Dbzoa's boards didn't joke about killing the people at Funi.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:49 pm

GS7X7 wrote:Oh wow, someone actually joked about murdering the GT Rap guy? Even Dbzoa's boards didn't joke about killing the people at Funi.
And they're no longer here. This is not a discussion point. The end.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:07 am

GS7X7 wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:

Oh yeah? Check this out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB9mGSq83gQ

This was the ending song for Japan's release of "Little Nicky."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_ZX-1WmBD4

And the USA ending song.

TBH I like Japanese music cause it's different. Both songs are good but the first one (by that mean I mean the original, English one, not the first one I posted) really fits the movie better. I wonder if any Japanese would like the American song or if most would approve the change? Honestly, I doubt most even know the music was replaced at all.
Wow. Looks like it's true that there is a double standard. When the US replaces a score or an opening song of an anime, there' outrage, but when it's vice versa, there isn't. Why? Is it because the Japanese does shit better then the US or something?

Shit, even if the US made a "really cool" score for a Japanese show or anime, there'll still be a huge outrage.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:30 pm

Well, Little Nicky came out over a decade ago and wasn't a big hit even in America (I loved it though, oldschool Sandler was pretty funny!) so I doubt many Japanese saw it.

Now, if Japan were to replace all the music for a long-running cartoon like DuckTales or Avatar, THEN I think there might be outrage. As for this, it's just one song at the end of the movie, so 97% of Little Nicky's J. soundtrack remains unaltered.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:03 pm

If you can give a new rap intro to any current or past anime, what would it be?

Also:

Can you freestyle a DBZ Kai Rap?

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:34 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT5ccCjKrB0

The GT Rap kinda reminds me of Killer Bee from Naruto. Shorty actually wouldn't make that bad of a Killer Bee. :P

tx3
Beyond Newbie

Post by tx3 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:12 am

......who?