Fans thoughts on GT in light of BoG, FnF

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Fans thoughts on GT in light of BoG, FnF

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:39 pm

Mewzard wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
SSJGFrieza wrote:GT is the Dragonball equivalent of Hokuto no Ken 2. A fan-fiction tier mess.
And bog/Freesa Returns For The Fifth Time aren't?
It's only his second real return in Toriyama's work.

Also, the difference is, BoG had a soul to it (it took a long time, but Toriyama finally started caring again) and was actually entertaining.

GT was a boring, soulless cash in that never fully understood what made Dragon Ball great in the first places (a few good moments not withstanding). I've never been able to enjoy it (and I know that's not a rare opinion).

But BoG? It worked. I had more fun watching it than the 13 movies that had Z in the title that proceeded it.
BoG was definitely of better quality than GT, however calling GT soul less doesn't ring true to me. Personally I found it was more fun and entertaining than anything Toriyama himself had done since the Cell arc. Its main problems is, is that the issues that were afflicting the manga reached their natural conclusion in GT and that's why they stick out there.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

dalome

Post by dalome » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:51 pm

The problem is that the power levels in gt have no sense.

Base Goku being stronger than buu is one thing.
But ssj Goku who can do better than majuub against super 17 when In the previous arc, Goku ssj3 was weaker than majuub?

Goku has at least two or three nonsense massive boost during gt.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:59 pm

dalome wrote:The problem is that the power levels in gt have no sense.

But ssj Goku who can do better than majuub against super 17 when In the previous arc, Goku ssj3 was weaker than majuub?

Personally I find the very idea anything on Earth can possibly be a threat to even a Super Saiyan is preposterous, let alone the upper tier fighters in GT. I didn't buy it with the regular Androids and I don't buy it with Super 17 either, especially since he's just a fusion of two 17s. If it were like a fusion of a whole bunch of 17s into one ultimate version I could buy that but as it is in GT, it doesn't make sense.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:12 pm

SSJGFrieza wrote:GT is the Dragonball equivalent of Hokuto no Ken 2. A fan-fiction tier mess.
I view GT as the Dragon Ball equivalent of The Unicron Trilogy. Both GT and Armada, Energon, and Cybertron where hated by their fan base and are still dislike by the fans today. They both had some good ideas but where poorly put together.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

dalome

Post by dalome » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:21 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
dalome wrote:The problem is that the power levels in gt have no sense.

Personally I find the very idea anything on Earth can possibly be a threat to even a Super Saiyan is preposterous, let alone the upper tier fighters in GT. I didn't buy it with the regular Androids and I don't buy it with Super 17 either, especially since he's just a fusion of two 17s. If it were like a fusion of a whole bunch of 17s into one ultimate version I could buy that but as it is in GT, it doesn't make sense.
The second c17 was much more powerful than the previous one. And he was made by the space doctor(I forgot his name...mew?), So the technology was much better.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:27 pm

I actually finally picked up GT the other day for this reason. :mrgreen: (Context: I'm not a fan of filler, so I still haven't seen chunks of the Baby saga and most of the Evil Dragons portion).

I'm not expecting to like it, but I have a feeling my dislike will be mellowed out. I like how BoG handled the world building and power ups (aside from SSJ God not being the Legendary SSJ) more than GT did.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:35 pm

GT has good "bits" but over all it did not feel like Dragon Ball (either DB or DBZ). It had a different vibe about it and I felt that what made it suck was mostly that the character interactions were pretty weak. That's always been the best part about Dragon Ball/DBZ. The best parts of GT are the little things like watching Nappa come back and Vegeta immediately kill him (character interaction even if limited)... or seeing Vegeta react to all the wonderful and hilarious things about his mustache, like his daughter upsetting him... or when he was able to finally achieve SSJ4 via Bulma's device. I watch to see the interactions. It was kind of a tearful moment to see Vegeta catch up to Goku (even if by cheating). It's what he's been trying for for the entire series of DB/DBZ.

I am not sure if all people who enjoy the series (all of them) because of the character interactions all get that that is what they love about it. I think some people focus so much on forms or strength they take a blind-eye to the fact that watching Vegeta go all bad ass on someone is more rewarding then power levels of golden auras or magical tight SSJ4 Pants.

I HATE THE SSJ4 PANTS!!

So yeah my point is merely that GT had a few small instances were the characters did things that were interesting but it is filled to the brim with boring ideas. Toriyama's writing is all about surrounding the characters with imaginative things to do to keep it interesting while giving the characters new things to say or do to each other to keep you coming back. GT failed for the most part to deliver this.

So I don't mind if GT was put to rest and retconned. There's more reasons then that though. SSJ4 and Vegeta being able to reach the form and become on the same level as Goku is a great concept and feels good to see happen even if it's brief. But, I can't help but feel it's a bit of fan fiction since Toriyama didn't dictate these actions for the character. To get the real gist of that I suppose we'd have to see what Toriyama would do. So that's another reason.

dalome

Post by dalome » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:44 pm

I like interactions too.
It is why I love the endings of GT. Mostly the 2nd. These endings have So much feel.
The first ending is great because of the trip feeling. Space exploration.
The second is about interaction. Family, friends.
The third is about the past. I like the design of kid Goku who takes the dragon ball.
The last ending is just great. It is simple, But as the last ending of dragon ball, It make me feel weird.

These endings make me feel so nostalgic. They feel a little like the last ending of dbz with adult Gohan walking.

Emiliow

Post by Emiliow » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:02 am

I am actually watching through GT right now for the first time. In my opinion it's great. It's good fun, but very different from Z. I'm only at the Black Star Dragon Ball saga, so my opinion can change but it's lighthearted and fun (and a little stupid) but I don't think it strays too far away from the humour in the first series. My biggest problem so far with it is just that it really is not very memorable. I may be in the minority but to me GT is just as much Dragon Ball as the first and second series and so far I enjoy it.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:35 am

GTx10 wrote:So back when GT came out fans seemed to dislike it because "Goku glory hog," "how can Base (character name here) beat so and so foe?" "Its to goofy, and not dark!" But with Battle of Gods, Mr. Toriyama's various comments about Goku and Super Saiyan transformations, and now Revival of F, how do fans look at GT now?
I think GT began something Akira is now "testing", that Goku and co. are growing, breaking past the Super Saiyan crutch. Even the Old East Kaioshin said transforming into SS is the wrong way of going about things. Its about inner strength, and making their Base form stronger. Now GT Kid Goku beating everyone in Base form doesn't look bad or not make sense now. DOn't you think?
Plus DB started as goofy and gags, BoG showed that side of DB fantastically! Also it seems Toriyama is giving many characters closure. #18 and Krillin having a tender moment, Gohan and Videl's happy moment over the baby news and so on and so forth. So tell me fandom, what you think?
I don't mind humor or Goku being strong in base, what I didn't like about GT was the way the characters were written, and I thought a lot of the designs were ugly, even some that Toriyama did.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:39 am

dalome wrote:I like interactions too.
It is why I love the endings of GT. Mostly the 2nd. These endings have So much feel.
The third is about the past. I like the design of kid Goku who takes the dragon ball.
The last ending is just great. It is simple, But as the last ending of dragon ball, It make me feel weird.

These endings make me feel so nostalgic. They feel a little like the last ending of dbz with adult Gohan walking.
I liked the openings and endings too, they give a warm, nostalgic feeling. Too bad the series itself didn't do the same thing for me.

dalome

Post by dalome » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:12 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
dalome wrote:I like interactions too.

I liked the openings and endings too, they give a warm, nostalgic feeling. Too bad the series itself didn't do the same thing for me.
Yeah.
The most nostalgic moments, are Goku turning oozaru after almost 40 years, and the end with Krilin and Muten roshi.

These endings make me dream of a reboot of GT. The same arcs, but done differently. And with the same openings, endings.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:31 am

bleed0range wrote:I HATE THE SSJ4 PANTS!!
Same here, it is the only reason I don't have an SS4 figure yet the pants are super ugly, other than that I quite like the SS4 design on Goku that is, SS4 looks awful on Vegeta and Gogeta.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:49 am

GT, at the time of broadcast, was a flat-out sequel to the Dragonball Z anime. Issues of continuity and the other dreaded 'c' word aside, at the time of inception it was at least consistent with how Dragonball Z ended, the majority of the continuity issues it ran into, such as plot decisions and including elements from Dragonball Z films, were problems that the writing staff wrote themselves into.

It's fair to assume that Toriyama has never seen GT, so with Battle of Gods and 'Resurrection F', apart from the odd humorous reference, (making the Pilaf gang into children) it's arguable that Toriyama isn't ignoring or disregarding GT, he's just not remotely interested in taking the time to plot around something which isn't his own work and he considers a spin-off.

I think it's safest to regard GT as being an alternative official sequel, in the same way that there are numerous officially licensed books and comics that serve as a sequel to the Star Wars trilogy, but are superseded now in the main narrative strand by the new cinematic endeavors.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:02 pm

Rocketman wrote:GT is much better than the gigantic turds people slobber over currently.
Yep, though that doesn't mean it's not a turd itself.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:02 pm

dalome wrote: The most nostalgic moments, are Goku turning oozaru after almost 40 years, and the end with Krilin and Muten roshi.
That scene with Krillin is probably my favorite in the entire series. In fact, I think I may watch it now!
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:43 pm

I used to really dislike GT for all of its inconsistencies. However, after realizing more and more how many inconsistencies the course material on its own had, and seeing Toriyama's new material having inconsistencies as well, I've just come to accept that as a quality inherent in Dragon Ball in general. So I really can't hate it for that, otherwise I'll have to hate the franchise in general. And, well, that's not something I can consciously bring myself to do. The enjoyment I get from the franchise is so strongly embedded it's going to take much more than narrative brainfarts and continuity errors to break it for me.

I see a lot of people give GT and the newer stuff flack for being "hurr durr GOKUUUUUUUUU", seemingly ignoring the vast majority of the source material that is Goku's story. Dragon Ball is Goku Time. Yeah, there are parts that feel more ensemble, there are parts when Goku is the small fry. Those, however, are the exceptions, small pockets of "non-Goku Time". I just don't see the point of giving GT or the new stuff flack for doing what the series is generally all about. Though it is fair to want Dragon Ball to move away from that, so long as we can agree that it would indeed be a moving away from that, rather than not falling into that. Now, I'll agree that GT went a bit too overboard with it, but I don't the new stuff really does. The new stuff has been much better about giving people other than Goku their chance to shine both as characters and as fighters.

Tatakae!!Ramenman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatakae!!Ramenman » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:30 pm

I also didn't have a problem with Goku taking the lead. My problems were with the writing and the fact that I thought the fights didn't stack up to Z until the final battle, which felt closer to a Z fight, but still quite stack up. But the animation looks so well drawn.
Neo died for our smiths.

Kakarot9001
Banned

Post by Kakarot9001 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:33 pm

Cetra wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Goku's comment on Rildo always starts a big debate since Goku mention him being stronger then Buu. It made most fans to believe that Base Goku>SSj3 Buu saga Goku which I find to be bullshit.
After Battle of Gods it is even an official fact.

And GT Goku is not more ridiculous than Divine Base Goku or Whis oder Beerus or Freezer. GT Goku fits even more now. Also how Vegeta is the only one comparable to him.
Hell yeah, Toriyama unintentionally did that what could be an explanation to Base Goku (GT) being so strong
ekrolo2 wrote:
Cetra wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Goku's comment on Rildo always starts a big debate since Goku mention him being stronger then Buu. It made most fans to believe that Base Goku>SSj3 Buu saga Goku which I find to be bullshit.
After Battle of Gods it is even an official fact.

And GT Goku is not more ridiculous than Divine Base Goku or Whis oder Beerus or Freezer. GT Goku fits even more now. Also how Vegeta is the only one comparable to him.
Goku becoming that strong after 15 (20 in the dub) years while still ridiculous but is wwwayyyy less bs than Freeza becoming stronger than him post BoG in 4 months.
On the contrary
Last edited by Kakarot9001 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:33 pm

Zephyr wrote:I see a lot of people give GT and the newer stuff flack for being "hurr durr GOKUUUUUUUUU", seemingly ignoring the vast majority of the source material that is Goku's story. Dragon Ball is Goku Time.
Dragonball Z, the most famous and largest part of the series, is not. Goku is the Big Gun for the Saiyan and Namek arcs, true, but he's not the Only Gun like he is in GT/bog/The Movies.

Is there anything like the fight vs Vegeta in the post-Z era? No. Piccolo vs 17? No. Hell, Gotenks vs Super Buu? No.
The new stuff has been much better about giving people other than Goku their chance to shine both as characters and as fighters.
~shine~