Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Suupaa Gohan 2
Regular

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection '

Post by Suupaa Gohan 2 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:05 pm

Marked for deletion.
Last edited by Suupaa Gohan 2 on Wed May 06, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steam Name: SG2
Discord Tag: Esjitu#4064

"I came to save you thanks to a magic bean. And if you think it was easy to find that bean, you're wrong."
--'Big Green' Yajirobe

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:07 pm

Suupaa Gohan 2 wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:I'm... sorry, I'm just not a huge Goten or Trunks fan. I never thought they were particularly engaging or entertaining, although Gotenks did have some fun bits. I'm giving my honest opinion here, from my perspective, on how I feel about those characters. Opinions I've seen regularly shared by friends and other fans, so I know I'm not necessarily alone there. Not that I think it's a good enough reason to exclude them from the movie, just... eh, it's my opinion that they're not all that fascinating, that's all.
So, try to imagine what it's like for those of us who feel the opposite about them... OR, just happen to like things that make a lick of sense.
I understand how people feel about them.

It's literally me just giving my opinion on them, as part of the conversation.

Also, you won't know what will and not make sense until it's presented in the movie. You just won't.
Last edited by KaiserNeko on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:07 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Who knows? Either way, it's just upsetting to see such malice towards the creator of the series with such unfounded reasoning.

I've been rewatching the Freeza arc, and I'm reminded of just how good a villain he is. I mean, look at this screenshot, how can anyone be upset that he's back and stronger than ever:
I agree some people are being a little too malice towards Toriyama. I may sound negative as all hell, but I will be most likely enjoying this movie even if every issue I have is 100% the case.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:11 pm

Assuming this comic line is even in the film it doesn't exactly mean the characters won't be seen in the film later...or at all. Then again, hey, this is what we get when nobody wants to slap Toriyama upside the head. Just like under Fuyuta.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:13 pm

He didn't "finish" the fight. He was winning, but he was still goofing around. He stopped to brag, like he does often, and the villain took that moment to strike. He was caught off guard, which caused him to hastily deflect it towards the crowd.

How are you even arguing that Gotenks isn't cocky, overconfident, and/or reckless? That's part of his whole shtick and why a lot of people (including me) like him. And that's where most of his humor comes from.

And again, Bulma didn't keep them back because they're weak. I've said that before (a couple times, I think). Them being strong/weak isn't the issue she has. It's that they take things too far. (according to the leaks.)
I never called them weak. Sorry if post implies that. I'm saying the reasoning for holding Gotenks back is stupid. Too far? He haven't exactly taking anything too far yet. Only one fight that Bulma saw.

I never argued that Gotenks isn't over confident or cocky. In fact I said he was in my last post. Or implied it. I'm saying he isn't reckless.

Who doesn't brag when winning a figh? Every character does it. Litteraly.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:14 pm

The Monkey King wrote:I'm beginning to think that the rabid defenders of this film are almost as annoying than those who rabidly bash it.
They ignore in universe facts and shit all over characters just so they can say the film looks good.
Even now multiple members are shitting all over Goten and Trunks over actions they did 5 years ago when they were little kids. It doesn't make sense.
All of this crap about 1000 mooks who Piccolo chould be able to vaporise with a casual ki blast is dragging the whole film down a bit for me.
Fortunately the parts with Goku and Vegeta training of Beerus' temple and the fight against Freeza are shaping up to be awesome.
I'm not shitting on them. I've pointed out that they've never actually accomplished much in any fight not as a reason they shouldn't be included but as reasoning for why the characters may not want them involved in the fight.

However... I personally don't like the characters that much, and I really don't mind their exclusion because it's the same thing with them every time. But mostly their personalities are the opposite of serious tone in every way. If you put them into this movie it would take away from any scene that tries to recapture some of the older DBZ feel from around the Freeza arc (which is obviously what they're shooting for) because Trunks is always cocky (but in a goofy way like he doesn't understand stuff because he's a little kid)... Goten is always super dumb/silly... and Gotenks is ridiculously over the top and cocky. They are purely comic relief. They wouldn't fit in. Plus I am tired of seeing them in their little kid forms.

Now this would be COMPLETELY different if Toriyama aged them into teenagers and their appearance changed. If he did that, I'd be more interested to see them in the movie because they'd be less childish and could add to the film more. Not to mention that it would develop their characters. I'm a little saddened about that because I DO think that would have been cool.

But mostly I am just tired of seeing so much negativity about every new tidbit of information revealed. I get that they're trying to make it feel like older DBZ while also being something new and that they can't give screen time to literally every character so they pick and choose. I just don't think people should be so upset over who they've chosen to be major players here.

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:20 pm

Really hoping that it's unveiled in the middle of the movie that Goten and Trunks hid out in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber where they trained and aged into more aged bodies. It's a pipe dream, but I'd still like to see it happen ~
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT

Suupaa Gohan 2
Regular

Post by Suupaa Gohan 2 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:21 pm

Marked for deletion.
Last edited by Suupaa Gohan 2 on Wed May 06, 2015 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steam Name: SG2
Discord Tag: Esjitu#4064

"I came to save you thanks to a magic bean. And if you think it was easy to find that bean, you're wrong."
--'Big Green' Yajirobe

dalome

Post by dalome » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:22 pm

The guy In the space ship must be Jaco.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:24 pm

TheGmGoken wrote: I never called them weak. Sorry if post implies that. I'm saying the reasoning for holding Gotenks back is stupid. Too far? He haven't exactly taking anything too far yet. Only one fight that Bulma saw.
I never argued that Gotenks isn't over confident or cocky. In fact I said he was in my last post. Or implied it. I'm saying he isn't reckless.
I understand but I still disagree, eh well.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:26 pm

Suupaa Gohan 2 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Assuming this comic line is even in the film it doesn't exactly mean the characters won't be seen in the film later...or at all. Then again, hey, this is what we get when nobody wants to slap Toriyama upside the head. Just like under Fuyuta.
THANK YOU. This is why Toriyama needs strong supervision by people who know the series and have the balls to stand up to his crack writing.
I feel like people need to chill on insulting Toriyama so much. I know you probably think there's no way word of that will ever get back to him but if the internet has proven anything to me it's that we now live in a very small world and even if he doesn't ever personally come here at some point someone may mention all those fans on that Kanzenshuu site who have insulted his writing and said he needed to be slapped upside the head and so on.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:27 pm

Suupaa Gohan 2 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Assuming this comic line is even in the film it doesn't exactly mean the characters won't be seen in the film later...or at all. Then again, hey, this is what we get when nobody wants to slap Toriyama upside the head. Just like under Fuyuta.
THANK YOU. This is why Toriyama needs strong supervision by people who know the series and have the balls to stand up to his crack writing.
I'd say the issue is less "Toriyama needs supervision" and more "the other people making this film need to be actively engaged in making something good" which I don't really see happening.

Still, if this is Toriyama simply not wanting to write certain characters at least he went through the trouble of making an excuse in the film. Yamamuro simply failed to make that excuse make sense...assuming this one out-of-context line from a comic based the film is even indicative of what will occur throughout the rest of said comic based on the aforementioned film.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:30 pm

Okay I'm confused about something. Trunks said that if you go back in time you just create a new timeline where things are different, so if Whis goes back in time to stop Beerus from doing things, doesn't that mean there are still other timelines where he didn't stop him?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:32 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Okay I'm confused about something. Trunks said that if you go back in time you just create a new timeline where things are different, so if Whis goes back in time to stop Beerus from doing things, doesn't that mean there are still other timelines where he didn't stop him?
It's probably not a full time travel but more of a gag time travel.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:32 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Okay I'm confused about something. Trunks said that if you go back in time you just create a new timeline where things are different, so if Whis goes back in time to stop Beerus from doing things, doesn't that mean there are still other timelines where he didn't stop him?
That's assuming that Whis' form of time travels follows the same rules that Trunks' does. Perhaps he can actually travel along the timeline proper?
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:34 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:
That's assuming that Whis' form of time travels follows the same rules that Trunks' does. Perhaps he can actually travel along the timeline proper?
Yeah, I'm thinking it may be different rules. Or maybe because (based on the leak) Whis doesn't seem to go too far back. Maybe a few minutes, at most.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:35 pm

Doesn't mean the same rules apply to Whis' ability. He may be able to actually reverse time, not just travel back in time.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:35 pm

I think this is the same way Kratos', for example, turns back in time in God of War II. Well, my speculation, of course. Probably wrong.

Or, it looks like there are indeed other ways to go back in time without change the timeline... Which I hope that is true to end some idiotic discussions.

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:37 pm

SSJGFrieza wrote:
snaku wrote:
MagicBox wrote:... People are asking *whose* poop Whis stepped in. Non-ironically.

That alone should illustrate the dangers of wanting an explanation for every single thing. What have we become?

I'm normally good at disregarding public consensus and simply talking about the news as we get it. But so loud and ceaseless is the outcry against this movie that I just can't talk about anything else. Complaints are fine, but this is just... I dunno what this is. The other Dragon Ball movies should thank their lucky stars that they didn't come out during the internet generation. They'd have been torn to pieces.

The more I think about it, I'm fine with Goten and Trunks being told to stay home. ChiChi allowing Gohan to fight the Artificial Humans was a one-time thing. It'd be weird for these characters to be saying "Okay, whose battle power is currently at its highest?" No, they're not thinking about that. The adults are going to go investigate and the kids are going to be told to stay home. It makes perfect sense.

What happens after that (and whether or not the kids decide to stay put) is still uncertain.
Seriously, this fan base is the reason why midichlorians are a thing.

I'm glad Gotenks and Buu won't be involved in this story. They're ridiculous, and mostly useless, comic relief gag remnants of a time when Toriyama didn't give a crap about the story he was telling. They have no place in this story thematically or logically.
You must be a Z fan who thinks DB should dark and edgy all the time.

And that timeline is crap, that abomination known as Episode of Bardock never happened.
Quite the contrary, I don't prefer the tone of one over the other, they each have their purpose in the context of the story. It's why I really enjoyed BoG because it married the tone of both parts of the manga, letting both aspects of Dragon Ball have their moments when appropriate. By all accounts Ressurection F has been repeatedly referred to as a much darker story, reviving easily the most deadly serious villain the Z fighters ever faced, and frankly the antics of Gotenks and Buu would feel extremely out of place in that context. It's like a clown showing up at a funeral, time and place. You want to see Gotenks spanked like the brat he is? Beerus gave you that. You want to see him horribly murdered by a ruthless galactic Hitler? Eh, probably not, but that's exactly what a character like Freeza would do, and if Gotenks were in the film he'd likely be dealt with in a mostly harmless comedic fashion like always which would break Freeza's character and the tone of the film. Remember when Broly came back, and was pissed on by Trunks? Yeah, we don't need to make that mistake again.

Kakarot9001
Banned

Post by Kakarot9001 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:38 pm

sintzu wrote:
bleed0range wrote:It's just you can't please everybody.
The only thing that will please some of these "fans" will be the movie failing on every level.
Hmm, probably... I hope this movie to have some huge inconsistencies that it could make pretty hard to fit into the main timeline, then I could enjoy this movie as a side-thing just like I did with most DBZ Movies (Except for Movie 9 and 13)
Gold_Jacobson wrote:Besides complaints about "Weak Gohan", I didn't see anyone mention that we now have confirmation on how Ultimate/Mystic Gohan works.
It now seems to be canonically confirmed that Old Kai brought Gohan beyond his limits, however he would lose that power if he didn't train.
This shouldn't be surprising since that is exactly how it works in the real world. Doesn't matter if you were the best a few years ago, if you don't train, you are going to lose it.

Overall, I think it's great to get closure on how the powerup worked. Obviously, some people still think that it was a permanent powerup... This seems to prove that isn't the case.
Where is your source, pal?