New "Remastered Box Set" Information

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:25 pm

Um, we've been through this before. The films were created with widescreen in mind, so nothing (important) is missed by the black bars. The TV series wasn't created this way.

I'm just glad this will be cleared up soon. I for one am just excited that I am finally going to see Vegeta tear through Zarbon. o_o

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:34 pm

The films were created with widescreen in mind
They were? But it was freakin 1989! :shock: Well... alright then.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:44 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
The films were created with widescreen in mind
They were? But it was freakin 1989! :shock: Well... alright then.
Yes, but movies have been widescreen since at least the 1950s. :P
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:55 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I think I figured out the widescreen problem. Ok, so the Japanese raw footage has some more of the image then FUNimation showed. All FUNi has to do is put black lines over what they didnt show us before and poof, widescreen! It also shows more of the image this way on the right and lefts sides. So as of right now, this makes sence to me. Anyone wanna crap all over my theroy? :lol:
If this is true, why even bother with black bars at all then, and not simply release it with the entire picture?

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:07 pm

tarsonis wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I think I figured out the widescreen problem. Ok, so the Japanese raw footage has some more of the image then FUNimation showed. All FUNi has to do is put black lines over what they didnt show us before and poof, widescreen! It also shows more of the image this way on the right and lefts sides. So as of right now, this makes sence to me. Anyone wanna crap all over my theroy? :lol:
If this is true, why even bother with black bars at all then, and not simply release it with the entire picture?
Because widescreen= kool and best? If so, the idea is backfiring on them, to say the least.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:27 pm

I personally think that the mastermind behind this widescreen idea was under the impression that fans would buy the sets regardless, just like they did with the widescreen-ed DragonBox: The Movies. Little did they know that, as many have mentioned before, the series, unlike the movies, were meant to be seen in fullscreen.

And as for Tanooki's theory, wasn't the overall footage that FUNi has is zoomed in slightly. So, the sides would have some missing footage as well.

And just so I can get some things set straight: 1) Has it even been confirmed (outside of the commercial) that the footage will be released in widescreen? and 2) Has it been confirmed that FUNi has the original un-zoomed in footage? I was under the impression that they were re-mastering the footage that they already have.

But as I mentioned before, I'll probably buy this (or at least one of these season set releases) regardless.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:30 pm

I think we need to wait for the info from the reps on the FUNI boards before speculating anything else. Apparently they are putting up evidence of what it will be like.

I've decided I'll get the first box set, but if I'm not satisfied, I'll just get the Dragon Box releases.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:36 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I think I figured out the widescreen problem. Ok, so the Japanese raw footage has some more of the image then FUNimation showed. All FUNi has to do is put black lines over what they didnt show us before and poof, widescreen! It also shows more of the image this way on the right and lefts sides.
I don't think this is a bad theory, because on one level it makes sense. But on another, I can't help but count this as wishful thinking at this point. If FUNimation does manage to pull a rabbit out of the hat on this one, then I'm inclined to believe that the way Tanooki described will be how they do it.
Tenken wrote:Um, we've been through this before. The films were created with widescreen in mind, so nothing (important) is missed by the black bars. The TV series wasn't created this way.
What does this have to do with the films? We know the show itself wasn't animated to have anything cropped, but as far as the R1 releases go the footage Tanooki's talking about has been cropped all along anyway; we've never seen it here in the US. Widescreen of any sort for this series is slaughter, but if it's in fact this unzoomed footage that FUNi uses to add its widescreen, I say that this is acceptable-- because right or wrong, it's nothing that we would have physically seen already and is worlds better than the projections we were all coming up with before.

I'm not saying it's a definite thing, but wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Tanooki's theory either. It could be our best, last hope.
DaemonCorps wrote:And as for Tanooki's theory, wasn't the overall footage that FUNi has is zoomed in slightly. So, the sides would have some missing footage as well.
Which would mean that, if Tanooki's theory plays out, we would be getting footage we've never seen before. Even if it is at the expense of that we could be getting the top and bottom, too.
etc5150 wrote:I think we need to wait for the info from the reps on the FUNI boards before speculating anything else.
A wise precaution. Though . . . it's fun to speculate and eases our minds, you understand.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:56 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:I'm not saying it's a definite thing, but wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Tanooki's theory either. It could be our best, last hope.
DaemonCorps wrote:And as for Tanooki's theory, wasn't the overall footage that FUNi has is zoomed in slightly. So, the sides would have some missing footage as well.
Which would mean that, if Tanooki's theory plays out, we would be getting footage we've never seen before. Even if it is at the expense of that we could be getting the top and bottom, too.
Oh, I get it now. But that still leads to the question of why FUNi would show the sides of the "new" footage, but not the top or bottom. I guess Domon said it best: "widescreen= kool" not to mention hip and new school-ey. :roll:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:
etc5150 wrote:I think we need to wait for the info from the reps on the FUNI boards before speculating anything else.
A wise precaution. Though . . . it's fun to speculate and eases our minds, you understand.
So true :D. We need something to preoccupy ourselves in the time that FUNi's trying to scrunge up something to provide some kind of answer.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:03 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:I guess Domon said it best: "widescreen= kool" not to mention hip and new school-ey. :roll:
Definitely. I could see them making that sort of decision for exactly that reason.
DaemonCorps wrote:So true :D. We need something to preoccupy ourselves in the time that FUNi's trying to scrunge up something to provide some kind of answer.
Especially if it's not going to be early in the week. We can talk about Monday all we want, but I think all FUNimation actually committed to was "sometime next week"; that could be all the way into next weekend, for all we know! . . . though I certainly hope not. But either way, I imagine this thread will stay active for quite some time.

EDIT:
DaemonCorps wrote:But that still leads to the question of why FUNi would show the sides of the "new" footage, but not the top or bottom.
Now that I think about it:

If they unzoom the film too far and try to give us all the unseen footage at once, you'd probably notice the film edges on the top and bottom before you would the sides; the horizontal edges of a television screen are longer than the vertical, and all that. Maybe that's part of the logic behind Tanooki's idea; maybe FUNimation has taken this into account already and cropped the extra footage on the top and bottom into "widescreen" so that we can be given as much of the sides as possible-- which we haven't seen before.

Uy. There's so many sides to the speculation at this point that it makes me dizzy. But at the same time, it keeps me going.
Last edited by Li'l Lemmy on Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:20 pm

OutRun2 wrote: In a way I am pleasantly surprised that we are finally getting the entire DBZ remastered in hi-def/5.1 sound, but I am extremely saddened and disappointed that Funimation is not releasing this series in its entirety ALL AT ONCE they Toei did with their R2 Dragonbox set :(
We aren't getting it in HD on DVD, we're just getting it sourced from HD masters or whatever.

Also, the Japanese R2 release was in two chunks. On top of that, American market standards basically dictate that unless you have smaller versions of an initial release then larger boxsets fail. Sure, I thnk it'd be better if they did do a large, one-go complete collection and release smaller sets like this one every few months, but it's pretty unreasonable for them to put out 291 episodes in one go.
It means that for someone like me, someone who has been deliberately avoiding watching DBZ in any way, shape or form, has to wait until what will probably be up to another YEAR before I can watch the series the way I've been wanting to watch it...IN ITS ENTIRELTY and in ONE sitting!
A lot of people don't have time for one sitting. Even I, who wants to get it all at once, wouldn't do it to watch it all at once, I'd just want it so it's here, and safe, and not going anywhere.
This makes me extremely depressed and sad :( :cry: :cry:
oh dear how sad i mean oh god the pain the anguish my precious flower here is a picture of something adorable and cute you gigantic sack of man-whinge-

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:25 pm

Blitzen wrote:oh dear how sad i mean oh god the pain the anguish my precious flower here is a picture of something adorable and cute you gigantic sack of man-whinge-
My, such a biting sense of humor. But for some reason, I found myself laughing out loud all the same.

The kittens really seal the deal.

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:15 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I think I figured out the widescreen problem...
ect5150 figured it out already...
ect5150 wrote:...Therefore, they are keeping roughly the same height on the image as the original Funi discs, but adding the additional footage on the sides that was originally zoomed thru.
Edit: 100 posts, w00t!
Last edited by Kula on Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

OutRun2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by OutRun2 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:22 pm

Blitzen wrote:
Also, the Japanese R2 release was in two chunks.

No it wasn't. The Dragonbox was released as ONE giant box containing all the episodes. What gave you the idea that it came in two boxes?
On top of that, American market standards basically dictate that unless you have smaller versions of an initial release then larger boxsets fail. Sure, I thnk it'd be better if they did do a large, one-go complete collection and release smaller sets like this one every few months, but it's pretty unreasonable for them to put out 291 episodes in one go.

Good point, but even still, if they are planning on releasing say, 8 boxes total at a frequency
of say, every other month....do you know how long it will be by the time the 8th box is released? JUNE OF 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you realize how long that is from now? There is absolutely NO justifiable reason to release the season sets every other month or longer. God FORBID they stretch it out to every 3 months. They wouldn't all be out til spring 2009!!!

If a FUNI rep is reading this thread, please hear what I have to say....for the love God please please PLEASE release the season sets once a month, so that they're all out no later than August of this year. That will make the wait a LOT more tolerable. I can deal with waiting until August, but having to wait until spring of '08 is highly unfair and a severe risk to my health.

Thanks for listening.

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:28 pm

OutRun2 wrote:If a FUNI rep is reading this thread, please hear what I have to say....for the love God please please PLEASE release the season sets once a month, so that they're all out no later than August of this year. That will make the wait a LOT more tolerable. I can deal with waiting until August, but having to wait until spring of '08 is highly unfair and a severe risk to my health.
...sure thing buddy. Oh and the Mad Hatter would love to have a chat with you. :lol: :P

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:34 pm

OutRun2 wrote: No it wasn't. The Dragonbox was released as ONE giant box containing all the episodes. What gave you the idea that it came in two boxes?
Umm... the DBZ Dragonboxes were in two chunks. One for each half of the series. The DB Dragonbox was in one box. So were the GT and Movie Dragonboxes.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:35 pm

OutRun2 wrote:Good point, but even still, if they are planning on releasing say, 8 boxes total at a frequency of say, every other month....do you know how long it will be by the time the 8th box is released? JUNE OF 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you realize how long that is from now? There is absolutely NO justifiable reason to release the season sets every other month or longer. God FORBID they stretch it out to every 3 months. They wouldn't all be out til spring 2009!!!
Hate to tell you this, OutRun, but I think even every three months might be a bit on the generous side as far as FUNimation is concerned. If this is going to be their definitive DragonBall property for the forseeable future, then I think they're going to want to stretch the releases to fit that future: I can easily see FUNi putting 4-6 months between sets-- just like they did with the movies. That averages to about two, maybe three sets a year.

Another factor we have to consider is that this kind of delay may be necessary. I don't remember hearing anything about just how much of the series has been remastered already, but if the process is still happening it's going to take time to release each set. (I'd love some clarification on this, though. Did the press release actually say that the entire series had already been remastered, or that it will be? Anyone?)

On the other hand-- assuming the preparations are complete-- the fact that the series has already been released might convince them to just pop out a set every two or three months. A set every month, though . . . I think we'd all like that, but I'll be majorly surprised if that does in fact turn out to be the case.
Brad Redfield wrote:...sure thing buddy. Oh and the Mad Hatter would love to have a chat with you. :lol: :P
That . . . sums up my thoughts rather well, yeah . . .

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:32 am

OutRun2 wrote: No it wasn't. The Dragonbox was released as ONE giant box containing all the episodes. What gave you the idea that it came in two boxes?
Umm, perhaps because there are five Dragonboxes? Because Kanzentai lists it as such? Because I used to own "DRAGON BOX Z VOL. 2", which contained roughly the second half of the series? because there were two releases, one in march, one in september?

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:10 am

Umm, perhaps because there are five Dragonboxes? Because Kanzentai lists it as such? Because I used to own "DRAGON BOX Z VOL. 2", which contained roughly the second half of the series? because there were two releases, one in march, one in september?
Used to? That does not sound good. Heh
Another factor we have to consider is that this kind of delay may be necessary. I don't remember hearing anything about just how much of the series has been remastered already, but if the process is still happening it's going to take time to release each set. (I'd love some clarification on this, though. Did the press release actually say that the entire series had already been remastered, or that it will be? Anyone?)

On the other hand-- assuming the preparations are complete-- the fact that the series has already been released might convince them to just pop out a set every two or three months. A set every month, though . . . I think we'd all like that, but I'll be majorly surprised if that does in fact turn out to be the case.
I doubt they'll do a one month thing. From what the trailer has shown, I don't think they've really got EVERYTHING done (Considering it was talking about the entire series, yet only the Vegeta/Saiyan Saga and the two openings were shown) They might still have to do some retouching and such, get the extras ready for the future sets. So probably, 2-3 months tops for spacing.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:34 am

OutRun2 wrote:No it wasn't. The Dragonbox was released as ONE giant box containing all the episodes. What gave you the idea that it came in two boxes?

*counts* Hm, that's...definitely more than one box.

*looks over to double-check*

Yeah, more than one box. What gave you the idea that it was only one box?

-Corey