What controversial themes/social issues can work in DB?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

What controversial themes/social issues can work in DB?

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:09 pm

Yep, you read it.

For me, it's two things. One idea would work is hate groups(KKK, New Black Panther Party, Nazis, if it rings a bell to anyone here). I think some hate groups can work at least in the Frieza saga, cuz that saga did have a "somewhat" political vibe to it. I say just replace the Ginyu Force(as it's hard for me to say) with a hate group and have them perform massive genocide on a massive number of Namekians, just because they don't believe what they the hate group believes in.

Another one would be somebody blowing him/herself up for religious reasons. *shrug* I mean, it worked in other shonen titles, so why not?
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: What controversial themes/social issues can work in DB?

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:58 pm

Oolong was supposed to be a dig on Communism at one point. That could've been something worth exploring I think.

HG-Project
Beyond Newbie

Post by HG-Project » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:01 am

Definitely racism/race supremacy, genocide, abusive autocracies, corruption in businesses, gangs, the black market,
Along with that, impoverishment in developing nations, lack of education, huge gaps between social strata, widespread hunger (or thirst), Domestic dysfunction, child abuse, crime, human trafficking, religion, sexuality, war/lasting vendettas between nations, refugees, general human helplessness against the unknown,
disabilities/special conditions, mortality, international/stellar relations, eugenics, science and ethics, self-identity, existentialism, concept of morality...just to name a few that comes up automatically.

I mean, you can read deeply into pretty much anything and pull up all sorts of connections and themes that maybe the author didn't even intend to incorporate. We tend to reflect what we know when we experience or look at anything, so it's quite easy to over-think and complicate anything, even Dragonball.
Last edited by HG-Project on Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:02 am

Wut.

Seriously wut. I was alreadywary by the title but the actual post is WUT. Seriously, do we NEED hate groups in DBZ? I did warm to the idea of serious themes and social issues in DBZ in the half second it took to load the thread but you lost me at Hategroups and stuff in Dragon Ball. REALLY?

While I agree with Rocketman that DB aint the babyish show other claim it is. Its DEFINITELY not the show for Hate Groups. Even One Piece which tackles issues such as racism doesnt doesnt have hategroups in it.

God and now I read the rest where people blow themselves up for religious/ideological reasons. I again apologize for saying this but this is terrible and you are way too focused on cheap shock valus. I dont really see these examples as mature and grown up storytalling. If you had put more subtle and less "Shocking" (There are serious issues that could very well be adressed in DB without all this shock value crap.Like racism,sexism.discrimiantion in general ETC)stuff I may have agreed but now I will never do it.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

HG-Project
Beyond Newbie

Post by HG-Project » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:09 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Wut.

Seriously wut. I was alreadywary by the title but the actual post is WUT. Seriously, do we NEED hate groups in DBZ? I did warm to the idea of serious themes and social issues in DBZ in the half second it took to load the thread but you lost me at Hategroups and stuff in Dragon Ball. REALLY?

While I agree with Rocketman that DB aint the babyish show other claim it is. Its DEFINITELY not the show for Hate Groups. Even One Piece which tackles issues such as racism doesnt doesnt have hategroups in it.

God and now I read the rest where people blow themselves up for religious/ideological reasons. I again apologize for saying this but this is terrible and you are way too focused on cheap shock valus. I dont really see these examples as mature and grown up storytalling. If you had put more subtle and less "Shocking" (There are serious issues that could very well be adressed in DB without all this shock value crap.Like racism,sexism.discrimiantion in general ETC)stuff I may have agreed but now I will never do it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he was asking about what social issues or controversial themes come up within the series, not what he can personally put into it to convey a distasteful message.

If the latter is true, that would be a pretty uncool thing to do and quite disrespectful to other fans as well as the series' creator.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:09 am

I know that TFS likes to joke about it, but abandonment would be an interesting issue to bring up with Gohan.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:30 am

I think a environmental theme could work without using Global Warming. Movie 3 had somewhat of a theme going for it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:17 am

HG-Project wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Wut.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he was asking about what social issues or controversial themes come up within the series, not what he can personally put into it to convey a distasteful message.

If the latter is true, that would be a pretty uncool thing to do and quite disrespectful to other fans as well as the series' creator.
No, I thought so too and I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, but he means to insert such stuff that isnt already there. I know he might have meant to just adress mature themes in a sensible way but his post doesnt help his case at all.

I definitely would have loved the topic if it was about putting more serious IRL themes or see and discuss possible issues like that that really are already present in DB but no, its Cheap Shock Value Serious Issues.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

cpuguy18

Post by cpuguy18 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:31 am

Racism frieza was pretty much Hitler.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:34 am

Saiyans are black people.... no for real, they are.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:32 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: I definitely would have loved the topic if it was about putting more serious IRL themes or see and discuss possible issues like that that really are already present in DB.
So do that then! This thread isn't just about inserting stuff in. Plus I never even thought about shock values while making this thread. I just thought that suicides were in some other shonen series. Not saying it has to be that serious.

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Saiyans are black people.... no for real, they are.
Yeah. The way Freeza calls them a racial slur("monkeys"), sure reminds me of slavery. I say that's a good tackle.

Speaking of the slur "monkeys" another theme would work would be a "Uncle Tom-ish" Saiyan who sides with Frieza and continuously calls the other saiyan "monkeys", like back in Frieza's prime, an "Saiyan Uncle Tom" would've been one of the lead people who enslaves the saiyans.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:43 am

Except they aren't- their skin looks like they have been living under the rock and crawled outside only in moonless nights.
Now, seriously- I tried to see it from many POVs and I can't see the chattel slavery parallel you want to make. Slurs regarding other ethnic groups have been around since one ape saw that those another tribe has another hair so they are too vague.

Frieza didn't officially treat them as property, never sold them and didn't even bother to interferer with their affairs as long as they obeyed him. It's essentially vassalage- not personal but countries' level of relationship that appeared in all times and cultures. Frieza was just luckier than most of the real world counterparts that punishment for disobedience from him would be quick, painful and delivered in person.
When I watched DB for the first time that particular plot reminded me Crimean Khanate and Ottoman Empire- similar military dependence, similar will of independence, similar resentments from both sides.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:55 am

Racism. That is underlining theme in Dragon Ball that has been explored during the rise of Saiyan race when they arrived on Planet Tuffle and were pretty much segregated and forced to live in crappy environment and couldn't interact much with the Tuffles. It's even suggested the Saiyans were treated like slaves by the Tuffles. And it doesn't get any better when the Saiyans become a part of the PTO and are pretty much looked down upon by practically every other race.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:01 am

On the other hand Sayians did had their payback...
Honestly I 'd love to watch it- we know basically nothing apart the fact that there has been lots of resentment that explode into genocidal war. Especially from someone who could show that both sides had a point (Riyoko Ikeda... I was promised Rose of the Versailles 15 years ago and never got it, so hear my plea!)
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:25 am

Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:14 pm

EXBadguy wrote:
Yeah. The way Freeza calls them a racial slur("monkeys"), sure reminds me of slavery. I say that's a good tackle.
Yeah but was that actually intentional? Like the use of the slang "Toons" in Roger Rabbit?

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:29 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Racism. And it doesn't get any better when the Saiyans become a part of the PTO and are pretty much looked down upon by practically every other race.
No, Freeza is all about power and obedience, he doesn't care about race. Radditz seems to be proud to work for the planet exchange, and Nappa and Vegeta are called "lord" by some of the other Freeza races. Hell, Freeza was willing to let Goku have a high position under him (And later Trunks by Cold) just because of their potential. So, as long as you are strong and obey Freeza you do very well in his empire. The only major social interactions with Saiyans and Freeza's soldiers we see come from after Freeza has given orders that Saiyans be eradicated. And even that move wasn't done for racial reasons, but rather for rising disobedience from a powerful group of citizens.

As for the topic, I think there are some "superiority of machine" versus man themes throughout Android and Cell saga. It's very similar to themes we see in Terminator or The Matrix, but there is definitely a mutual hatred between machines who are upset and being enslaved and humans who reject the machines for trying to become more powerful and reverse the pecking order.

Monkey King Vegeta

Post by Monkey King Vegeta » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:43 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:They did Nazis already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBudU8BiQw4
I'm glad they did that scene with Hitler, hopefully those neo-nazis will stop using the SSJ transformation for their "Aryan" beliefs.

Does anyone know why AT used blond haired blue eyes for SSJ? Was it inspired by the Nazi propaganda as some people say? or was it that "inking" issue that resulted in this?

Its hard to get some of my friends into DBZ because when they turn SSJ they ask me if they're gay. -_-

Black Saiyajins for the win! I remember a website named "The Black Goku" and comparing it to Africans-Americans was a good read, I guess Frieza would represent the slave owners.

Though I always saw the Nameks as black, specially Piccolo, that mofo was the green version of a black guy no lie.

I guess the Red Ribbon Army was meant to represent America or Nazis in a way, they had a Russian for a head, a stereotypical American blonde guy, and the stereotypical black guy.

I never really saw the Saiyans as white or asian as many people claim, they resembled caucasians in their SSJ forms and Goku was the only "asian" looking one because of his outfit, but I would put Mexicans as Saiyans because they have white Mexicans and asian ones, and fit all the Saiyan stereotypes.

I read a theory on Buu, apparently Fat Buu represents a fat (wealthy) white American and skinny black buu represents a poverty black American, ala Civil War.... mind blown?

Cell (is there a Cell appreciationThread?) could represent the 3 races of human kind, Imperfect (Oriental) he had small eyes and was cunning (Asian stereotypes), Semi-Perfect (Black) Them lips and AT's style gave it away, Perfect (White-Caucasian) this would be controversial because of the Asian stereotype of "worshiping westerners" and their ideal look of beautify or something like that.

Frieza and Cold could be like America and Britain, since many Japanese look at them as "power-country brothers", the whole Namek saga was politic conflicts, even the PTO could have been inspired by the "colonizing of countries".... probably is.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:14 am

Another one would be either one of the surviving Saiyans(Raditz, Nappa, or Vegeta) having tiny hole scars on their back from Frieza's Death Beam. That'd be a good nod to 12 Years a Slave(which is one of the BEST MOVIES EVER!)
Deathbringer wrote:
EXBadguy wrote:
Yeah but was that actually intentional? Like the use of the slang "Toons" in Roger Rabbit?
Of course it wasn't intentional. At least not to me.

chaosakita
Not-So-Newbie

Post by chaosakita » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:18 am

I was going to say "nothing" and that Dragon Ball really shouldn't deal with RL issues. But if you really want to make the case that it needs to, then you can look at how Freeza was modeled after real estate speculators which was a real problem for Japan in the 90s. Also the theme song for the new movie, "F", also talks about real world issues such as genocide.