"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Captain Space » Fri May 08, 2015 9:44 am

To be fair "Never seen or read Dragon Ball?" might be a little harsh. It's a relatively minor detail.
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri May 08, 2015 9:49 am

Doctor. wrote:I don't think that's what he was asking, but rather what it has to do with real life stuff like potential Super news.
In that case, the 'Super Saiyan Special Site' has been advertising that a big announcement will be revealed on May 9th aka Piccolo Day.
Captain Space wrote:To be fair "Never seen or read Dragon Ball?" might be a little harsh. It's a relatively minor detail.
Fair enough. Edited it out. Just seems to come up so often that I'm surprised it's not better known. Especially to someone who makes 20 posts a day here.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Fri May 08, 2015 9:50 am

Ah, makes sense. I mean, I'd never encountered it in this real-world context before either but I'm not that prolific a poster.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 08, 2015 10:09 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
Captain Space wrote:To be fair "Never seen or read Dragon Ball?" might be a little harsh. It's a relatively minor detail.
Fair enough. Edited it out. Just seems to come up so often that I'm surprised it's not better known. Especially to someone who makes 20 posts a day here.
I never knew what "Piccolo Day" meant as far as the manga goes, and I didn't think it was something related as far real life context goes. I knew that King Piccolo effectively took over the world on May 9th, but I never knew fans genuinely celebrated this specific date. I thought it was just pure coincidence. What is even called "Piccolo Day" in the manga? Because I sure as hell don't remember is being called that. Or was that just a term Funimation created? Or did the fans come up with it? My memory is pretty hazy in that regard.

Also, "Never seen or read Dragon Ball?". Yeah, not cool, bro. Not cool. :|

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri May 08, 2015 10:11 am

On a slightly different topic, how would everyone feel about Takayoshi Tanimoto (Dragon Soul, Kū-Zen-Zetsu-Go) coming back to do the vocals of Super's Opening?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri May 08, 2015 10:13 am

Lord Beerus wrote:I never knew what "Piccolo Day" meant as far as the manga goes, and I didn't think it was something related as far real life context goes. I knew that King Piccolo effectively took over the world on May 9th, but I never knew fans genuinely celebrated this specific date. I thought it was just pure coincidence. What is even called "Piccolo Day" in the manga? Because I sure as hell don't remember is being called that. Or was that just a term Funimation created? Or did the fans come up with it? My memory is pretty hazy in that regard.
"King Piccolo Commemoration Day." Ajay just posted the panel last page:

Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri May 08, 2015 10:14 am

Tomorrow is the day, hope we get some good news and maybe a pic with Super's cast.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Fri May 08, 2015 10:14 am

ArchedThunder wrote:On a slightly different topic, how would everyone feel about Takayoshi Tanimoto (Dragon Soul, Kū-Zen-Zetsu-Go) coming back to do the vocals of Super's Opening?
I'd love that. Though of course a new Kageyama opening would be a dream come true.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 08, 2015 10:31 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I never knew what "Piccolo Day" meant as far as the manga goes, and I didn't think it was something related as far real life context goes. I knew that King Piccolo effectively took over the world on May 9th, but I never knew fans genuinely celebrated this specific date. I thought it was just pure coincidence. What is even called "Piccolo Day" in the manga? Because I sure as hell don't remember is being called that. Or was that just a term Funimation created? Or did the fans come up with it? My memory is pretty hazy in that regard.
"King Piccolo Commemoration Day." Ajay just posted the panel last page:

Oh, right okay. Thanks for the clarification.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Fri May 08, 2015 10:35 am

Think they will just reveal the whole cast (dubbers) some main characters and a trailer. Since I am just expecting this, I will be plenty surprise if they reveal more.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri May 08, 2015 10:40 am

Dyno wrote:Think they will just reveal the whole cast (dubbers) some main characters and a trailer. Since I am just expecting this, I will be plenty surprise if they reveal more.
That might be expecting a little much...

moochfloatjr
Not-So-Newbie

Post by moochfloatjr » Fri May 08, 2015 11:06 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
Dyno wrote:Think they will just reveal the whole cast (dubbers) some main characters and a trailer. Since I am just expecting this, I will be plenty surprise if they reveal more.
That might be expecting a little much...
I don't think it necessarily is. The series premieres in July, which isn't really that far away. Getting a first trailer in early May sounds pretty reasonable to me.
Don't be too alarmed if I just don't show up for a few months. Hooray for fleeting interests!
Lord Beerus wrote:
SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:Super Saiyan 3 Lord Appule vs. Kaio-ken x20 Future Mecha Nappa
Nappa squashes Appule like the bug he is.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri May 08, 2015 11:11 am

Considering it's only been a little over a week since the series was announced and we have no idea how long this was a concept before that announcement, I think a trailer may be a bit much. Unless the "trailer" is like a 20 second teaser with a lot of text, the logo and maybe one shot of Goku.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri May 08, 2015 11:16 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Considering it's only been a little over a week since the series was announced and we have no idea how long this was a concept before that announcement, I think a trailer may be a bit much. Unless the "trailer" is like a 20 second teaser with a lot of text, the logo and maybe one shot of Goku.
What about a poster?

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Fri May 08, 2015 11:18 am

They can just do what they did for the F teaser.
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri May 08, 2015 11:20 am

My predictions for Super material this month will pretty much always be "a logo, possibly splash art of the main heroes and maybe another generic, but slightly more informative summary". Basically this, minus the villains if they aren't ready to reveal them yet (as this is entirely new material). Anything else is being viewed as unlikely, but happily accepted if it comes to fruition.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Fri May 08, 2015 11:22 am

A poster would be cool. :)

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri May 08, 2015 11:25 am

Dyno wrote:A poster would be cool. :)
Just as long as it clarifies somewhat who's going to be the main characters and showcases the new outfits and potential growth (for Goten, Trunks and the other kids).

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Fri May 08, 2015 11:29 am

ArchedThunder wrote:On a slightly different topic, how would everyone feel about Takayoshi Tanimoto (Dragon Soul, Kū-Zen-Zetsu-Go) coming back to do the vocals of Super's Opening?
I'm very open to this. Love what he's given us.
I hope Takafumi Iwasaki comes back to compose again as well and we get something to the calibre of Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go, which I absolutely love. (Almost upset that it was wasted on something like Buu Kai)
Last edited by Ryuman on Fri May 08, 2015 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 08, 2015 11:50 am

Doctor. wrote:
Dyno wrote:A poster would be cool. :)
Just as long as it clarifies somewhat who's going to be the main characters and showcases the new outfits and potential growth (for Goten, Trunks and the other kids).
And as long as it's also designed well. The Dragon Ball Kai Majin Boo arc poster as shown above is a mess. And I really hope we don't get something similar to that for Dragon Ball Super.