If DB had a Civil War

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

If DB had a Civil War

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun May 17, 2015 12:55 pm

I'm such a Marvel fanboy :lol: . But I've been reading my Civil War issues again. Imagine if DB had a civil war type of story. Not the same plot as Marvel's obviously since DB isnt like that. But what if something triggered the Z fighters to split? Something that made the fanbase chose a side? How would this happen? What would the story be? There's multiple routes to take with this. With DB rich history of comedy, action, and adventure. This can take any direction. Gag being Chi Chi vs Bulma easily.

But I'm curious on a more serious approach. I originally wasn't going to have Goku since everyone but the fan base will side with Goku. But what if the situation called for Gohan to oppose Goku? With Krillin and Goten torn in the middle. Krillin is Goku's best friend and Gohan's first friend. Goten is related to bot . Chi Chi would easy side with Gohan. But what about the rest? Who would they choose?

This is my ultimate questions and I'll like some good responses. What situation would split the Z gang up? Who would oppose each other? Who side would the others be on? Who side would you be on? I understand the bond between Z warriors is strong. But ever bond can be broken.

I can picture Piccolo opposing Goku but Goku would have to do something really stupid morally that would have any Z warriors besides Gohan choose Piccolo.

I'm not sure if this belongs in Fan made or In Universe.
This doesn't have to be a serious civil war. It can be gag, serious, Semi serious, GT toned, Dbz toned, Dbz movies tone, or DB toned.

Dyno
Banned

Re: If DB had a Civil War

Post by Dyno » Sun May 17, 2015 12:57 pm

Think I might add Saiyans vs Tsufurujins. It was kinda a Civil War as well.

Periskir

Post by Periskir » Sun May 17, 2015 12:58 pm

Universe in doomed!!!!!!!!!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun May 17, 2015 1:25 pm

There aren't enough relevant fighters on Earth to form two sides of a civil war
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun May 17, 2015 1:39 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:There aren't enough relevant fighters on Earth to form two sides of a civil war
Z Fighters have enough and are definitely strong enough.
Goku
Vegeta
Trunks
Ten
Yamcha
Chaozu
Roshi
Piccolo
Goten
Videl
Gohan
Trunks
Oob
Beerus(if he's interested)
Chi Chi
Majin Boo
Krillin
Bulma
Pan

Thats plenty enough to have a "War". Of course it's not a war by traditional sense but it's a cartoon for 10 year olds. The Z fighters can easily split if it was Gohan vs Goku. I asked this same question on a differ website. "The catalyst is quite obvious. Goku and Vegeta's bungling that endangers the Earth constantly. " and "Yeah, Gohan could just snap and call them out on their arrogance. If they end up getting the Earth destroyed, Gohan would go ballistic at Videl and Pan (depending on when it's set) dying as a result of Vegeta's and Goku's actions. Then it's a question for the rest of the Z-senshi of whether they're loyal to their friends, or see that they're too out-of-hand and are becoming dangerous".

Simple.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun May 17, 2015 1:59 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
What situation would split the Z gang up ?

Who would oppose each other ?

Who side would the others be on ?

Who side would you be on ?
Vegeta destroying the earth in order to get rid of a villain but in the process his friends and family are saved.

Goku&Vegeta.

Vegeta's :
Bulma&Trunks : Their his family.
Vedel&#18 : They'll be happy that he saved their daughters.
Yamcha&Olong : I don't think they'll be upset about surviving.
Beerus : Destruction is in his name.

Goku's : Everyone else except Whis.

The end more then justifies the means so I'm with Vegeta.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Sanyo96

Post by Sanyo96 » Sun May 17, 2015 2:26 pm

If the war was on Earth, I'd assume the Animal people would go to war with the Humans.

mister yummy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mister yummy » Sun May 17, 2015 2:27 pm

Hmm. Interesting scenario.

How about if Goku and some random guy, let's use Yamcha, were mind-controlled and the rest of the Z fighters had to stop them.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun May 17, 2015 2:31 pm

Sanyo96 wrote:If the war was on Earth, I'd assume the Animal people would go to war with the Humans.
As the series progressed, there were fewer and fewer Animal people on Earth.
Someone with a bad mind could picture a really dark story set between sagas.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

saunasolmu
Beyond Newbie

Post by saunasolmu » Sun May 17, 2015 2:40 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:
Sanyo96 wrote:If the war was on Earth, I'd assume the Animal people would go to war with the Humans.
The king of Earth was still an animal in the Cell saga, though.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun May 17, 2015 3:28 pm

It's an interesting question but it's an idea that would never really work. Gohan has lost so much of his popularity that nobody would ever side with him.

It'd only work if it was Goku's side vs Vegeta's side and then for Goku to play more of the "bad guy" role similar to Iron Man so that it'd split the fan base in a more balanced way.

However the problem lies in that teams are somewhat useless when either Goku or Vegeta could knock the others out within seconds.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Sun May 17, 2015 4:39 pm

From In-Universe standpoint I don't see how it would work- in Marvel characters differ in abilities, but they are equal enough in power to create a fight that won't be solved in seconds. Here we have Whis, then Beerus, then greeat gap, Goku and Vegeta, infinite abyss, everyone else, thank you. Plus Dragon Balls are essential game breaker when it comes to any conflict.

Besides, Civil War sucks. It's painful to watch how they made Stark Nazi in everything but name to convince everyone that letting powerful assholes be is a good idea.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun May 17, 2015 4:46 pm

The DB civil war would not be anything like Marvel. By Civil war. It'll just be the Z fighters whom have split due to indifference fighting each other.

The timeline placement can be during any time period. Doesn't have to be present day

Monkey King Vegeta

Post by Monkey King Vegeta » Sun May 17, 2015 4:59 pm

They realize that the old villains keep coming back and annoying them, so the Z Fighters split into two groups.

Goku, Gohan, Goten,Videl, Tien, and Uub are in favor of giving the villains a second chance.

Vegeta, Trunks, Piccolo, 18, Krillin, Bulma, and Yamcha are in favor of killing the enemies.

Conflict ends when Vegeta and Goku agree that fighting them at their peak is more exciting.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun May 17, 2015 6:08 pm

saunasolmu wrote:
UltimateHammerBro wrote:
The king of Earth was still an animal in the Cell saga, though.
He is, but where did most of the other animals go...? The implications are as dark as you want them to be.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun May 17, 2015 7:21 pm

I really don't think a Civil War would work in Dragon Ball if Goku and Vegeta still have their SSJGSSJ transformations and especially if they work on the same side, which would most likely be the case. Because nobody can realistically challenge them and create tension for the Civil War. I mean, a civil war already kinda happened in Dragon Ball lore between the Good Saiyans and the Bad Saiyans many centuries ago. And that civil war resulted in a battle between a newly created Super Saiyan God and army of Oozarus. Now, why couldn't that have been expanded upon? That sounds so fucking cool.

But for the sake of hypothesis, I say Goku and Vegeta could clash heads over Goku's constant sparing of villains which leads to Earth being in danger constantly. With the Gohan, Goten, Chi Chi, Yamcha, Krillin, #18 and Oob taking Goku's side, in believing that people should always get a second chance, and Trunks, Bulma, Roshi, Tien, Piccolo, #17 and Majin Boo taking Vegeta's side, in believing that one person's chance at redemption shouldn't come at the price of Earth's safety.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun May 17, 2015 8:09 pm

There was a fanfiction dear to my heart, 'The River of Fate' before the writer decided to put a kibosh to it. Sadly, I am not good summaries, it reads a lot better than it sounds

How it went was, Alternate Universe, Dr. Gero got comfy with the World Government instead of going crazy with killer Androids(Though he made them too, and they haven't gone rogue) with King Furry, explained everything to Furry-the dragonballs, Goku an alien, Kami, all of it, and had recruited Yamcha, Krillin, and Tenshinhan. They were given nanobytes that made them as strong as a Super Saiyan and proclaimed Earth's Special Forces. Reasons a civil war happened:

1) Goku, Bulma and the others are keeping the Dragonballs hidden from the World Government, who feel that they are safer in their clutches.
2) Piccolo is allowed to roam free. Would be on orders to kill him, but Gero explained he is tied to the dragonballs and want to only imprison him indefinitely.
3) xenophobia against the Saiyans. Vegeta doesn't need to be explained, but Gero twisted knives into King Furry and Krillin, claiming half truths about Goku, mainly about his penchant for wanting a good fight instead of protecting the Earth. Doesn't help that Vegeta is still alive and joins Goku's side.

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Mon May 18, 2015 5:45 am

i just can't see a Civil War like event happen in Dragon Ball unless you drastically changed the characters and setting in some way. This makes sense in something like Marvel or DC where you've 50 billion heroes and stuff but for Dragon Ball ? Nah... :thumbdown: Maybe if there were a civil war with the gods of destruction. But even that wouldn't really fit too well with the style of story telling Dragon Ball typically goes into.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Mon May 18, 2015 11:42 am

Goku and Vegeta are too powerfull. The only way I could see this happening is if we got "rid of them" (missing/away/dead) THEN I guess we could could have a more balanced conflict, specially if this is post EoZ. The major players here would have to be Gohan, Piccolo, Trunks and Goten... Uub?

Uub is the only one with enough potential to become as strong as Gohan. Things would be much more balanced if that was the case.

Uub would have been groomed to become the Earth's real protector. There could be a conflict about how to deal with certain enemy... with Gohan openly disagreeing with Uub's approach:

Uub: I'm sure this will work.
Gohan: No, it won't. It will put Earth/lives at risk. We need to rethink our strategy.
Uub: This WILL work. Why don't you trust me?
Gohan: Look, you are just a kid. That plan is too risky. Let us handle this.
Uub: We have to do this. I know we can pull it off. Besides,you are not a warrior anymore.
Gohan: I'm still stronger than you.
Uub: He chose me.

I'm sure most people would side with Gohan, so Uub goes rogue. They attempt Gohan's plan but it doesn't work... and they start slowly siding with Uub, starting with Pan.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon May 18, 2015 11:59 am

BTW guys. This doesn't have to be modern day DBZ. Can be any time period.

Cell Games Era(Have Piccolo VS Goku. Like what if Goku didn't die.)

Early Boo era(How to deal with Boo. Leading to a brief fight between Z fighters)

Or EoZ without the new movies.

Clearly would not be on the scale of Marvel or similar plot. Just Z fighters fighting each other due to a massive disagreement.