What do you hope not to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dyno
Banned

Re: What do you hope not to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by Dyno » Fri May 15, 2015 7:20 pm

Four if you count one filler.

Super Saiyan 2 Vegeta vs Buu was somehow/at least good, and the filler one, Super Saiyan 2 Kakarot vs Buu.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Tue May 19, 2015 7:52 am

I hope not to hear Rock music.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue May 19, 2015 3:49 pm

I don't wanna see bad animation (TOEI - so I will...), I don't wanna have Sumitomo on the score (probably won't be in my favor) and I don't wanna hear any shity opening and ending music, which I know will happen for 50 %
as the shitty band Good Morning America returns.... Tough I did found funny, that the another Kai band named after my country was even worse than this one.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat May 23, 2015 2:03 pm

I just don't want any more villain transformations as well. One thing that I liked about Beerus that he is powerful character that didn't need a stupid gimmick. A powerful character should be powerful on their own without needing to transform. With Freeza, it worked since you can sense the fear in his character seeing how Freeza was already a powerful character in his form. Not to mention there was suspense leading up to his other forms to me. With Buu and Cell there was some level of build up to them as well. However in DBZ Movie 1-13 the transformation trope was over done seeing that Dr. Uiro and Turles are the only ones that don't transform in DBZ Movies 1-13.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun May 24, 2015 1:21 pm

I haven't been remotely excited for any new material since I first saw "Golden" Freeza. It made me doubt Toriyama will really try to push himself into what motivated him before to create something any more expansive than what he already identifies the series with. I really doubt the writing will be any better than the movies themselves by the looks of it either. All this retconing and ignored plotholes just makes it seem like a waste of time with the constant backtracking.
Though I don't want to see the series done with the crappy animation Toei's been using for the newer movies. FnF was only slightly better than BoG with better character renders than prior but beyond it, its still ugly to look at, and FnF still held the worst use of CGI yet.

My main don'ts would have to be:
- No more Goku Centerism.
- No more Character regreessssion.
- No more generic or recycled villains.
- No more rewind asspulls.
- No CGI.
- No SSJ Pan.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

McDonaldsGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by McDonaldsGuy » Sun May 24, 2015 2:28 pm

I don't want to see any "created bad guys." I want villains with their own motivations. With Cell it was pretty cool, but Majin Buu was meh.

tx3
Beyond Newbie

Post by tx3 » Sun May 24, 2015 4:12 pm

Ohhh please no Woman SSJ's
pleeeeasse

feminist runies everything please dont let them get dragonball

also more Masculin stuff ...fighting ...boobs and stuff!

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Sun May 24, 2015 4:24 pm

I just want it be nothing like GT and in no way relate to GT and not have the letters "g" or "t" used in the entire show.
tx3 wrote:Ohhh please no Woman SSJ's
pleeeeasse

I feel like you have never actually watched the show, and everything you know about it comes from circa-2000 amv's set to Linkin Park.
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

GokuRules987
Banned

Post by GokuRules987 » Sun May 24, 2015 10:25 pm

McDonaldsGuy wrote:I don't want to see any "created bad guys." I want villains with their own motivations. With Cell it was pretty cool, but Majin Buu was meh.
I agree i am tired of villians in dbz being literaly motiveless to why they are evil. A real Villian always has his own story to why he is evil and not like majin buu with poor writing.
My Intelligence level is over 9000!!!

GokuRules987
Banned

Post by GokuRules987 » Sun May 24, 2015 10:34 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:I haven't been remotely excited for any new material since I first saw "Golden" Freeza. It made me doubt Toriyama will really try to push himself into what motivated him before to create something any more expansive than what he already identifies the series with. I really doubt the writing will be any better than the movies themselves by the looks of it either. All this retconing and ignored plotholes just makes it seem like a waste of time with the constant backtracking.
Though I don't want to see the series done with the crappy animation Toei's been using for the newer movies. FnF was only slightly better than BoG with better character renders than prior but beyond it, its still ugly to look at, and FnF still held the worst use of CGI yet.

My main don'ts would have to be:
- No more Goku Centerism.
- No more Character regreessssion.
- No more generic or recycled villains.
- No more rewind asspulls.
- No CGI.
- No SSJ Pan.
I agree 80 percent with you but i dont support what your saying that Goku shouldnt be central character in the story. Infact in dragon ball i barely like any other characters in the story besides vegeta, beerus and whis i mean all of the z fighters are just weak as hell and they got nothing new to add to the story besides a couple comedy scenes. If you dont want goku to be a central characters then we need new characters who are powerful like him in order for them to get screen time otherwise i would rather watch 24 minutes episode with only Goku being in there and i will still enjoy it more than a 24 minute episode with couple scenes of goku in there and the rest focused on other characters because i dont care about other characters. I grew up watching Goku evolve and fight, not some random ass characters like irrelevant pilaf gang or beerus making jokes about food which arent even funny.
My Intelligence level is over 9000!!!

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Sun May 24, 2015 11:47 pm

I don't wanna see any regenerative stuff, to me it just cheapens attacks and everything else. It doesn't even make the bad guys look strong, just makes them cheap.

KameRule
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameRule » Mon May 25, 2015 6:41 am

No levels of blue SSJG please. As in no SSJGSSJ2 or SSJGSSJ3, because I would be forced to believe that no one really gives a shit anymore.
Master, the batteries inside your Wii Remote are nearly depleted.

Master, there is a 98% chance that the floor is beneath you.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon May 25, 2015 7:05 am

KameRule wrote:No levels of blue SSJG please. As in no SSJGSSJ2 or SSJGSSJ3.
If Ssj1 can turn blue due to Ssjg then chances are the same thing can and probably will happen to 2&3.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KameRule
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameRule » Mon May 25, 2015 12:18 pm

sintzu wrote:
KameRule wrote:No levels of blue SSJG please. As in no SSJGSSJ2 or SSJGSSJ3.
If Ssj1 can turn blue due to Ssjg then chances are the same thing can and probably will happen to 2&3.
I know, but I would still rather watch characters develop their skills in base SSJ, you know, have Toriyama actually do what he said he was going to do.

Also, I think that blue-haired SSJ3 looks kind of silly. Not in the intended original way, but just in a poor design kind of way.
Master, the batteries inside your Wii Remote are nearly depleted.

Master, there is a 98% chance that the floor is beneath you.

tx3
Beyond Newbie

Post by tx3 » Mon May 25, 2015 4:50 pm

Freeza Heika wrote:I just want it be nothing like GT and in no way relate to GT and not have the letters "g" or "t" used in the entire show.
pleeeeasse

I feel like you have never actually watched the show, and everything you know about it comes from circa-2000 amv's set to Linkin Park.
well think about it ...dragonball was aimed at boys and young man ..thats why it rocks ...if you make the show appeal more to woman ..it would make it bad.

i dont get what you mean with your comment. What i say is the truth ...every movie we see man become the idiots who are no good while woman are the smart strong ones ..that BS has to stop ..so dont touch DB you dirty feminists! thats all i want .preach!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 25, 2015 5:01 pm

tx3 wrote:
Freeza Heika wrote:I just want it be nothing like GT and in no way relate to GT and not have the letters "g" or "t" used in the entire show.
pleeeeasse

well think about it ...dragonball was aimed at boys and young man ..thats why it rocks ...if you make the show appeal more to woman ..it would make it bad.

i dont get what you mean with your comment. What i say is the truth ...every movie we see man become the idiots who are no good while woman are the smart strong ones ..that BS has to stop ..so dont touch DB you dirty feminists! thats all i want .preach!
Dragon Ball already appeals to women. It has so for many years. Having female SSJs would just add more viewership from that demographic.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon May 25, 2015 5:11 pm

I have to agree with not wanting female SSJs. Not for anti-feminist reasons though. lol.

I just think there's already an oversaturation of SSJs. This is wishful thinking, but wouldn't everyone rather Bra inherit the IQ of her mother instead of the fighting prowess of her father? She can be strong, but not a fighter. I envision her being redesigned into a chibi-like figure like, err, Chibi Chibi from Sailor Moon, and inventing stuff all the time. It's cute. A grown up Bra can be more like Winry from FMA than that..."teenager" from GT...

As for Pan, why bother with a SSJ transformation when she can inherit something greater: the mystic powers and rage boost of her father.

Oh wait...what mystic powers? -_-
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 25, 2015 5:33 pm

I just think there's already an oversaturation of SSJs. This is wishful thinking, but wouldn't everyone rather Bra inherit the IQ of her mother instead of the fighting prowess of her father? She can be strong, but not a fighter. I envision her being redesigned into a chibi-like figure like, err, Chibi Chibi from Sailor Moon, and inventing stuff all the time. It's cute. A grown up Bra can be more like Winry from FMA than that..."teenager" from GT...
Why can't Bra have great intelligence and the great fighting prowess of her father? Why does she have to be limited to either being a fighter or a genius? She should be both, as far as I'm concerned.
As for Pan, why bother with a SSJ transformation when she can inherit something greater: the mystic powers and rage boost of her father.
"mystic powers" is just basically fully unlocked latent strength. It's nothing special. Especially, considering SSJGSSJ, which is far stronger and more practical, is now a thing. Hell, just by the fact that transformation exists, it provides even more of an incentive for Pan to go down the SSJ route.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon May 25, 2015 6:02 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Why can't Bra have great intelligence and the great fighting prowess of her father? Why does she have to be limited to either being a fighter or a genius? She should be both, as far as I'm concerned.
I said she can be strong too, only I'd like it in a comical sense. I just don't like the thought of her being a SSJ. Idk, I just find it really lame. I feel they can think outside the box with this character. Regardless, I just see her being fodder or having as much presence as Marron.
"mystic powers" is just basically fully unlocked latent strength. It's nothing special. Especially, considering SSJGSSJ, which is far stronger and more practical, is now a thing. Hell, just by the fact that transformation exists, it provides even more of an incentive for Pan to go down the SSJ route.
That form was exclusive to Gohan, and I'm not going to rant about his rage boosts/hidden power. They can always re-retcon everything to make what Gohan had special (and thus, Pan inheriting that), which I think is more appealing than seeing another SSJ. I just want them to go different routes with the new characters. It's too predictable to make them Goten and Trunks 2.0.

That's just my opinion. = P
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon May 25, 2015 7:22 pm

GokuRules987 wrote: I agree 80 percent with you but i dont support what your saying that Goku shouldnt be central character in the story. Infact in dragon ball i barely like any other characters in the story besides vegeta, beerus and whis i mean all of the z fighters are just weak as hell and they got nothing new to add to the story besides a couple comedy scenes. If you dont want goku to be a central characters then we need new characters who are powerful like him in order for them to get screen time otherwise i would rather watch 24 minutes episode with only Goku being in there and i will still enjoy it more than a 24 minute episode with couple scenes of goku in there and the rest focused on other characters because i dont care about other characters. I grew up watching Goku evolve and fight, not some random ass characters like irrelevant pilaf gang or beerus making jokes about food which arent even funny.
Goku is boring now though, they don't do anything new with him at all. His fights are all the same these days too, and his happy-go-lucky nature with deus-ex plot-shield, is starting to bug me. It feels so dated and genericized now. I dont want him written out of the show, I just dont want him always in the spotlight if hes always going to be on the same format. Hes given more importance than he deserves at this point more so in fights, as if nothing can be done unless he finishes it and its always the same routine. Give me Energy or Kamehameha full power!!!!!!!!. :yawn:
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.