"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Funimation Buu release guess?

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:29 pm

They have to wait for Super to reach a good amount of episodes before they can release it so releasing Kai first in 6 parts every 2-3 months will keep DB relevant while they wait for Super so by the time Kai's done they'll have enough Super episodes to release which will be released close together like Kai instead of every 4-5 months like it would if they released it first.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:56 pm

Assuming Super will be licensed for release by July-Aug 16 time, that doesn't leave FUNi and awful lot of time to release Kai, maybe they will have to bite the bullet and release it in seasons sets. Or perhaps they will release Super and Kai together on the same release, 12 eps of Super and 12 eps of Kai on a 4 disc set, I would be quite content with that.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:01 pm

Whenever FUNi do eventually announce this, they have already failed in terms of meeting consumer demand for the product.
The fact we have all been sat around for more than a year, waiting for an eventual announcement (and still are) means that they have underestimated the demand for it.

If it isn't announced by October, then we can forget seeing any of Kai this year, which would be ridiculous.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:26 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:Whenever FUNi do eventually announce this, they have already failed in terms of meeting consumer demand for the product.
The fact we have all been sat around for more than a year, waiting for an eventual announcement (and still are) means that they have underestimated the demand for it.

If it isn't announced by October, then we can forget seeing any of Kai this year, which would be ridiculous.
Totally. I for one still can't imagine that they do not have enough voice work done for at least one season, which they probaly already have. But anyway, I still think they will announce it next month with a Oktober/November release in mind.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:40 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:Whenever FUNi do eventually announce this, they have already failed in terms of meeting consumer demand for the product.

Oh, I take it the September announcement already occurred with no sign of Kai?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:59 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:

Oh, I take it the September announcement already occurred with no sign of Kai?
Not yet, the September Release schedule should be coming early next week.

Samwize78
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Samwize78 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:11 pm

I think Super and Kai could potentially co-exist. If Super gets FUNi's broadcast dub treatment in, say, mid-to-late August, and Kai gets its first of six parts released the following month, then by the time next spring/summer rolls around the Kai releases will be wrapping up and the Super releases will start to begin.

This, of course, is all a matter of whether or not Kai sees a release in the fall. If not, then I have no idea how they will go about this, considering FUNi would probably want to get Super on home video as soon as they can.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:48 am

FUNi dropped their September releases and... no Kai :cry: on to October now.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:08 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:FUNi dropped their September releases and... no Kai :cry: on to October now.
Son of a bitch!!!

Looks like Kai is being pushed back to 2016 now. :problem:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:00 pm

Samwize78 wrote:I think Super and Kai could potentially co-exist. If Super gets FUNi's broadcast dub treatment in, say, mid-to-late August, and Kai gets its first of six parts released the following month, then by the time next spring/summer rolls around the Kai releases will be wrapping up and the Super releases will start to begin.

This, of course, is all a matter of whether or not Kai sees a release in the fall. If not, then I have no idea how they will go about this, considering FUNi would probably want to get Super on home video as soon as they can.
Unfortunately, there really isn't a good solution. If it were up to me though, I'd put a TV broadcast of The Final Chapters on the back-burner and release it straight to home video first, putting energy instead into Super on both the home video and the TV broadcast fronts. Like I said, there isn't a good solution, but I think the best way to minimize the damage is to prioritize Super since it's new...both in the sense of being a new show and in the sense of being a new story, a claim that Kai cannot make.

If too much time passes without Super getting released in North America, the "newness" will have died down due to all the people who will inevitably have seen it online first. It's unfortunate that fansubs will eat into the show's sales and success, but that's the age we live in. Quite frankly, if FUNimation can secure a simulcast deal, I think they should.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:22 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Samwize78 wrote:I think Super and Kai could potentially co-exist. If Super gets FUNi's broadcast dub treatment in, say, mid-to-late August, and Kai gets its first of six parts released the following month, then by the time next spring/summer rolls around the Kai releases will be wrapping up and the Super releases will start to begin.

Unfortunately, there really isn't a good solution. If it were up to me though, I'd put a TV broadcast of The Final Chapters on the back-burner and release it straight to home video first, putting energy instead into Super on both the home video and the TV broadcast fronts.
I think this would be the best of a bunch of very bad solutions to the situation. I do believe the TV deal is what is holding this back - they clearly want the $ from it, and as a business, why wouldn't they? but I think they should just go ahead and release the series for home video, and get it done.
The bigger picture is "Super", and rightly so - it is new content, and like BoG, and more recently, "F" (which to be fair, FUNi have been very quick to get done) needs to take priority.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:17 pm

This is complete bullshit. Theres no other way to put it.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:06 pm

Are they really going to wait until freakin' 2017 or so when Toonami airs the Buu-arc? This is getting beyond absurd, considering France has gotten it, and it was made years ago for its success in countries like the US...

At this rate, we probably won't see Super here until 2018 or 2019, and by then everyone will have seen the fansubs.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:55 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:At this rate, we probably won't see Super here until 2018 or 2019, and by then everyone will have seen the fansubs.
Don't be surprised if we get Super before this.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:40 pm

sintzu wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:At this rate, we probably won't see Super here until 2018 or 2019, and by then everyone will have seen the fansubs.
Don't be surprised if we get Super before this.
I wouldn't be surprised if this happened, but I still expect Kai to come first, purely because of the fact they must be nearly finished - Sean Schemmel is done with his lines.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:22 pm

Guys... they aren't going to wait until the Buu saga airs here before giving us Super. The demand is clearly going to be greater for the latter. lol.

They will probably REMOVE Kai from Toonami altogether, and air Super in its place. That, or air Kai (Final Chapters or not) at an earlier time, which is already the case. Secondly, as someone mentioned, the Buu saga will be released to DVD. That saga is already half-assed to begin with, so it's fitting. Besides, it's the weakest saga in DBZ. :wave:

I doubt we'll be getting Super until late next year or 2017, regardless.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:36 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Guys... they aren't going to wait until the Buu saga airs here before giving us Super. The demand is clearly going to be greater for the latter. lol.

They will probably REMOVE Kai from Toonami altogether, and air Super in its place. That, or air Kai (Final Chapters or not) at an earlier time, which is already the case. Secondly, as someone mentioned, the Buu saga will be released to DVD. That saga is already half-assed to begin with, so it's fitting. Besides, it's the weakest saga in DBZ. :wave:
The Android saga would like a word with you. :wink:

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:23 pm

Anime Expo is next weekend, I won't hold my breath, but they are holding a "Resurrection F" Red Carpet premiere event for the dub.
Sean Schemmel and Christopher Sabat are there, and there's also a "Resurrection F" panel, too. Please, FUNi, announce Kai. That weekend would be perfect, as it's the same weekend as Super debuts.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:27 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:Anime Expo is next weekend, I won't hold my breath, but they are holding a "Resurrection F" Red Carpet premiere event for the dub.
Sean Schemmel and Christopher Sabat are there, and there's also a "Resurrection F" panel, too. Please, FUNi, announce Kai. That weekend would be perfect, as it's the same weekend as Super debuts.
They have to do it. It's the perfect opportunity. Resurrection F premiere, Super airs in Japan, and a announcement of the final arc of Kai. If Funimation doesn't annouce it, then The Final Chapters will be pushed back to 2016, which is a damn shame.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:40 pm

It would be too perfect to be true. I think it would be likely that they'll announce a Super simulcast, though. At this point, it looks as if they're putting it off until after Super, which is definitely not what I would've wanted.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."