"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Captain Space » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:20 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:The more I think about it the more I get hyped up for the upcoming SSJ3 Goku vs Beerus and SSG Goku vs Beerus..... I hope the animation is solid during those fights.
2 ep and still no name for femwhis... if her name turns out to be just Whis I am breaking necks.
It most likely is Whis because Whis said he is a Whis, implying he has no name.
Clint Eastwood is Whis, confirmed.

(We would like to apologise for that joke. Those responsible have been fired.)
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:11 am

I'd watch that: Whis in a cowboy hat, casually smoking a cigarette and quickly dispatching all the bad guys. Beerus can be Lee Van Cleef.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:41 pm

Super twitter message 深夜のお知らせでごめんなさい…。
TSK山陰中央テレビをご覧の地域の皆さん、お待たせしました!今日7/16(木)16:20から放送スタートします!「ドラゴンボール超」第1話是非ご覧ください!(S)
#ドラゴンボール超 http://t.co/CZ9lAbwXtN can someone please translate/explain what this is about

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:58 pm

shinmaru wrote:Super twitter message 深夜のお知らせでごめんなさい…。
TSK山陰中央テレビをご覧の地域の皆さん、お待たせしました!今日7/16(木)16:20から放送スタートします!「ドラゴンボール超」第1話是非ご覧ください!(S)
#ドラゴンボール超 http://t.co/CZ9lAbwXtN can someone please translate/explain what this is about
All I can get from Google Translate is that they're broadcasting something Dragon Ball-related, and they're sorry they kept people waiting for it.

(And "#DragonBallSuper" at the end.)

BojGrass
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BojGrass » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:17 pm

Going by the date and Bing translate it looks like they're just reiterating that Dragon Ball Super starts at 9:00am. I'm not sure if the time post is my local time when it was sent out or if it was Japan local time, but the tweet's date and time was July 4th at 6:24pm. Which if it's to my local time, that would put that tweet at 30 minutes prior to the debut of Super. I don't know what the bit about new animation and 2006.

Not that I put a lot of worth in those translations, but that's what it seems to be.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:31 pm

That link you posted don't seem to match up with what you've written in your post.
Given the mention of "1" and "18" in the text you link and the fact its date is 4th of july, it seems to just be a standard reminder that there's only 1 day till the first episode of the first brand new series in 18 years airs.

What you have written on your post mentions the date 16th of july, which is tomorrow(already past 3:30 am in Japan, currently).
Apparently something is going to air tomorrow?

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:49 pm

I think it is basically saying: If you live in the region that gets TSK Sanin Chuo Television, we are going to start broadcasting DBS there today at 4:20pm. Sorry for the delay! Please watch Episode 1!

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:51 pm

irreality wrote:
I think it is basically saying: If you live in the region that gets TSK Sanin Chuo Television, we are going to start broadcasting DBS there today at 4:20pm. Sorry for the delay! Please watch Episode 1!
Ah, that would make more sense.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:58 pm

irreality wrote:
That makes sense, thx guys

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:02 pm

So I just finished reading chapter two of Super and it was really good.

It seems in this version Goku fights Beerus as a SSJ before he goes SSJ3, it will be interesting how they do it in the anime. It also seems Champa is up to something, what it is I can't wait to find out. And they still didn't give FemWhis a name yet...

All in all, it was fun to read and I hope the anime version is just as good.
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:06 pm

SSJ God Gogeta wrote:So I just finished reading chapter two of Super and it was really good.

It seems in this version Goku fights Beerus as a SSJ before he goes SSJ3, it will be interesting how they do it in the anime. It also seems Champa is up to something, what it is I can't wait to find out. And they still didn't give FemWhis a name yet...

Oh, interesting. Of course, so far the plot's been fairly different (no Soup Yasai Jinkot in the anime), so who knows.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:47 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Beerus is currently suffering from minor Supreme Kai syndrome. By that I mean, these first few episodes are portraying him a certain way for the sake of build up, but once he befriends Goku, he will change more into what we saw in F. He'll still be equally dangerous, but the serious side of him will be shown less in favor of the food gags and "don't make me destroy your planet!" jokes.
Kinda like Broly? Who became a parody of himself in Movie 10?
How so?
SSJ God Gogeta wrote:So I just finished reading chapter two of Super and it was really good.

Yeah, but they probably are going to change a lot of things just like they did with Beerus and aliens past in episode 1
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:34 pm

Noah wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Beerus is currently suffering from minor Supreme Kai syndrome. By that I mean, these first few episodes are portraying him a certain way for the sake of build up, but once he befriends Goku, he will change more into what we saw in F. He'll still be equally dangerous, but the serious side of him will be shown less in favor of the food gags and "don't make me destroy your planet!" jokes.
Kinda like Broly? Who became a parody of himself in Movie 10?
How so?
Broly essentially embodied the stereotypes that many people thought he represented in his first film with his obsessive fixation on Kakarot and constant loud evil cackling. Hence, why in Movie 10, 90% of the dialogue from Broly consisted of him just yelling Kakarot or laughing evilly very loudly. He had become a parody of himself, and Toei was well in on the joke.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:04 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Broly essentially embodied the stereotypes that many people thought he represented in his first film with his obsessive fixation on Kakarot and constant loud evil cackling. Hence, why in Movie 10, 90% of the dialogue from Broly consisted of him just yelling Kakarot or laughing evilly very loudly. He had become a parody of himself, and Toei was well in on the joke.
Well, I cannot not agree with that... Broly was kinda interesting in Movie 8, but in 11 they made him like incredible silly one-word monster. A evil Super Saiyan villain is an amazing concept, shame that was so poorly developed
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:41 pm

Noah wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Broly essentially embodied the stereotypes that many people thought he represented in his first film with his obsessive fixation on Kakarot and constant loud evil cackling. Hence, why in Movie 10, 90% of the dialogue from Broly consisted of him just yelling Kakarot or laughing evilly very loudly. He had become a parody of himself, and Toei was well in on the joke.
Well, I cannot not agree with that... Broly was kinda interesting in Movie 8, but in 11 they made him like incredible silly one-word monster. A evil Super Saiyan villain is an amazing concept, shame that was so poorly developed
YMMV in regards to how much Broly could have been developed. I mean, Movie 8 pretty much painted him as a psychopath on a leash from day 1. I think most of the mystique about Broly came from just how much of a monster he could become if he was unleashed. Movie 8, and to an extension Movie 10, answered that question. If Broly is ever gonna get serious, genuine development, his entire character would have to be re-written from the ground up.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:44 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Noah wrote:
YMMV in regards to how much Broly could have been developed. I mean, Movie 8 pretty much painted him as a psychopath on leash from day 1. I think most of the mystique about Broly came from just how much of monster he could become if he was unleashed. Movie 8, and to an extension Movie 10, answered that question. If Broly is ever gonna get serious, genuine development, his entire character would have to be re-written from the ground up.
I think there's an out there: Base Broly. Base Broly could be developed, and Legendary Super Saiyan Broly established as a super powered evil side

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:48 pm

He is kind of the Hulk analogue. I can definitely see developing Brolli's base form personality.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:54 pm

Broli could have been great if his backstory was freshen out better. I always felt like him going crazy over Goku crying was stupid. He could have been like a mix between The Joker and Hulk, but sadly that never happen.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:13 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Broli could have been great if his backstory was freshen out better. I always felt like him going crazy over Goku crying was stupid. He could have been like a mix between The Joker and Hulk, but sadly that never happen.
Wouldn't being kept up for a long while bring insomnia? I'd be pretty pissed too.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:47 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:The more I think about it the more I get hyped up for the upcoming SSJ3 Goku vs Beerus and SSG Goku vs Beerus..... I hope the animation is solid during those fights.
2 ep and still no name for femwhis... if her name turns out to be just Whis I am breaking necks.
It most likely is Whis because Whis said he is a Whis, implying he has no name.
That's pathetic. Vegeta/Goku saying they are saiyans doesn't make that their personal name.

Its already bad that Toriyama is getting lazy with character designs, and now he will be lazy to give names too?!
If anything, Whis may be the name of their race. But every race member has his own name to distinguish themselves, just like: earhtlings, saiyans, namekians, gods, even androids and etc...have.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.