Why do people hold Ultimate Gohan or Gotenks so highly?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Re: Why do people hold Ultimate Gohan or Gotenks so highly?

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:44 am

Everything you say is based on the assumption that when Goku says that Oob is as amazing as he expected, he means that he is as strong as he expected. This isn't the only possible interpretation, he could also mean that he is the amazing guy that is capable of rivaling, and even surpass him.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

h0kuten
Banned

Post by h0kuten » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:57 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Everything you say is based on the assumption that when Goku says that Oob is as amazing as he expected, he means that he is as strong as he expected. This isn't the only possible interpretation, he could also mean that he is the amazing guy that is capable of rivaling, and even surpass him.
Let's agree to disagree.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:22 am

Yeah, the wording is vague enough to be open to clarification. At that point in the manga, perhaps Goku was expecting someone like Boo or even stronger, given his experience with Piccolo. Without preparation, Oob was not quite the callenge Goku was expecting, thus not happening Super Saiyan (1/2/3), but there was no doubt Oob was quite promising if properly trained. As for nowadays, I could say that perhaps Goku was expecting a great challenge because, if Freeza had the potential to become stronger than Super Saiyan God, what someone like Boo would be capable of if he dedicates himself? See? Goku's hype is justified in both cases.

h0kuten
Banned

Post by h0kuten » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:28 am

Hugo Boss wrote:Yeah, the wording is vague enough to be open to clarification. At that point in the manga, perhaps Goku was expecting someone like Boo or even stronger, given his experience with Piccolo. Without preparation, Oob was not quite the callenge Goku was expecting, thus not happening Super Saiyan (1/2/3), but there was no doubt Oob was quite promising if properly trained. As for nowadays, I could say that perhaps Goku was expecting a great challenge because, if Freeza had the potential to become stronger than Super Saiyan God, what someone like Boo would be capable of if he dedicates himself? See? Goku's hype is justified in both cases.
Using Frieza isn't applicable in this scenario. Frieza wasn't looked at as anything significant 20 years ago. Goku wanted to Kid Buu to come back as a good person to help him train and once Goku pisses him off, he's sure Uub is Buu because he's as amazing as he expected him to be. In regards to strength.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:54 am

h0kuten wrote:
Hugo Boss wrote:Yeah, the wording is vague enough to be open to clarification. At that point in the manga, perhaps Goku was expecting someone like Boo or even stronger, given his experience with Piccolo. Without preparation, Oob was not quite the callenge Goku was expecting, thus not happening Super Saiyan (1/2/3), but there was no doubt Oob was quite promising if properly trained. As for nowadays, I could say that perhaps Goku was expecting a great challenge because, if Freeza had the potential to become stronger than Super Saiyan God, what someone like Boo would be capable of if he dedicates himself? See? Goku's hype is justified in both cases.
Using Freeza isn't applicable in this scenario. Freeza wasn't looked at as anything significant 20 years ago. Goku wanted to Kid Buu to come back as a good person to help him train and once Goku pisses him off, he's sure Uub is Buu because he's as amazing as he expected him to be. In regards to strength.
Why not? The second scenario is about taking the post-2013 material into account. Given that Goku acknowledged Oob as amazing as Boo, he could be factoring his latent potential. Perhaps something more challenging than Golden Freeza.

h0kuten
Banned

Post by h0kuten » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:00 am

Hugo Boss wrote:
h0kuten wrote:
Using Freeza isn't applicable in this scenario. Freeza wasn't looked at as anything significant 20 years ago. Goku wanted to Kid Buu to come back as a good person to help him train and once Goku pisses him off, he's sure Uub is Buu because he's as amazing as he expected him to be. In regards to strength.
Why not? The second scenario is about taking the post-2013 material into account. Given that Goku acknowledged Oob as amazing as Boo, he could be factoring his latent potential. Perhaps something more challenging than Golden Freeza.
Golden Frieza didn't exist 20 years ago. It can't reference something that didn't exist. Trying to twist Goku's 'amazin' statement is showing signs of bias.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:01 pm

You misunderstood. There are two scenarios. One where Golden Freeza doesn't exist and one where he does. Oob can be as strong as the situation needs him to be, and so Goku. That way, "as amazing as expected" doesn't mean more than "as amazing as to make me enjoy the fight". You choose what fits better with your tastes.

Super_Vegetto

Post by Super_Vegetto » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:58 pm

I don't know about EOZ Base Goku being as strong as boo saga SSJ3 Goku, seems a bit far fetched , in Super Saiyan 1 seems more reasonable. Then again in 7yrs he acquired 2 new transformations, Vegeta also acquired one so it can be possible especially since he was waiting for someone strong, so that maybe pushed him further. I'm also sure Vegeta regained his #2 spot
I think it is safe to say that Oob is at least boo saga SSJ2 tier, otherwise I don't think Goku would have been so hyped and with training he could reach Kid Boo level or even surpass him especially with Goku as his mentor.
SSJ2,3&4 live and will be better than anything you will come up with AT

h0kuten
Banned

Post by h0kuten » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:21 am

Super_Vegetto wrote:I don't know about EOZ Base Goku being as strong as boo saga SSJ3 Goku, seems a bit far fetched , in Super Saiyan 1 seems more reasonable. Then again in 7yrs he acquired 2 new transformations, Vegeta also acquired one so it can be possible especially since he was waiting for someone strong, so that maybe pushed him further. I'm also sure Vegeta regained his #2 spot
I think it is safe to say that Oob is at least boo saga SSJ2 tier, otherwise I don't think Goku would have been so hyped and with training he could reach Kid Boo level or even surpass him especially with Goku as his mentor.
So why could Gotenks get around 60-100x more powerful in mere 10x gravity training with hour long intervals and Goku can't get 400x stronger in 10 years of training with special training equipment provided by King Kai and the additional 10x gravity?

Sanity's_Theif
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sanity's_Theif » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:07 am

What I get from all this is that either the manga never intended to portray Gotenks and Gohan as much if at all stronger than Goku, even if it did end up doing that. Or that Toriyama decided to try to retconn that when Kid Buu showed up.

In either case I think maybe everyone's notions about Gotenks and Gohan being far above Goku were never really the case in the first place. I've never even heard of anyone saying that outside of this forum to be honest.

h0kuten
Banned

Post by h0kuten » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:16 am

Sanity's_Theif wrote:What I get from all this is that either the manga never intended to portray Gotenks and Gohan as much if at all stronger than Goku, even if it did end up doing that. Or that Toriyama decided to try to retconn that when Kid Buu showed up.

In either case I think maybe everyone's notions about Gotenks and Gohan being far above Goku were never really the case in the first place. I've never even heard of anyone saying that outside of this forum to be honest.
Some people have Gotenks Ssj3 Post-ROST 5,000x stronger than Goku Ssj3.

Try this out:
I just made Gotenks 30,000x stronger than Goku Ssj3 by following all the Manga implications.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:34 am

h0kuten wrote: So why could Gotenks get around 60-100x more powerful in mere 10x gravity training with hour long intervals and Goku can't get 400x stronger in 10 years of training with special training equipment provided by King Kai and the additional 10x gravity?
Because you're assuming that he did all his training under those same conditions, when there's nothing indicating that's the case. In addition, the boys are prodigies when it comes to strength, so it only makes sense that a fusion between them would have even more going for them as far as increases in strength.
Even in the more extreme versions of how powerful Gotenks is in comparison to Goku, you're still looking at him being around 400x stronger than Goku in the same form, not anything drastic like thousands of times stronger, and I've yet to see anyone pose it being anything remotely that huge of a difference.

Sanity's_Theif
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sanity's_Theif » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:43 am

h0kuten wrote:
Sanity's_Theif wrote:What I get from all this is that either the manga never intended to portray Gotenks and Gohan as much if at all stronger than Goku, even if it did end up doing that. Or that Toriyama decided to try to retconn that when Kid Buu showed up.

Try this out:
I just made Gotenks 30,000x stronger than Goku Ssj3 by following all the Manga implications.
Darkprince410 wrote: Even in the more extreme versions of how powerful Gotenks is in comparison to Goku, you're still looking at him being around 400x stronger than Goku in the same form, not anything drastic like thousands of times stronger, and I've yet to see anyone pose it being anything remotely that huge of a difference.
The fact that that would be the case if it were actually true makes me believe even more that it was never intended to be portrayed that way in the first place, it's far too ridiculous.
Last edited by Sanity's_Theif on Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

h0kuten
Banned

Post by h0kuten » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:46 am

Sanity's_Theif wrote:
h0kuten wrote:

Try this out:
The fact that that would be the case if it were actually true makes me believe even more that it was never intended to be portrayed that way in the first place, it's far too ridiculous.
It is ridiculous. Hence why I posted it to show just how absurd it is.

Sanity's_Theif
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sanity's_Theif » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:49 am

h0kuten wrote:It is ridiculous. Hence why I posted it to show just how absurd it is.
Then I have trouble believing that anyone would think it absurd to believe that it was never actually the case in the first place.

h0kuten
Banned

Post by h0kuten » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:50 am

Sanity's_Theif wrote:
h0kuten wrote:It is ridiculous. Hence why I posted it to show just how absurd it is.
Then I have trouble believing that anyone would think it absurd to believe that it was never actually the case in the first place.
Try Neoseeker, it's loaded with people who conform to some of those types of ideals.

My own gap is only roughly, 10x.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:06 am

I agree. I don't even think Gohan is twice as strong as Goku and I don't think Gotenks surpassed Goku until he went SS3. I just base it on Kid Buu plus the power of South Kaioshin being stronger than Super Buu and that can't happen, if Gotenks and Gohan are multiple times stronger than either of those two at least if you follow a strict addition logic unless otherwise noted in regards to Majin Buu's absorptions.
Given the choice between consistent multipliers that would bloat their battle powers to the extreme or inconsistent multipliers that keep their battle powers in check and at least make the Genkidama scene make a bit more sense, I just say fuck it and go with the latter.

Truhan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Truhan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:44 am

I usually put Mystic Gohan only twice as strong as SSJ3 Goku in the Buu saga, which doesn't mean that Goku couldn't close that gap, or surpass him. SSJ3 Gotenks (Pre-RoSaT) would be only 1.5 times more than SSJ3 Goku, and a fraction of Mystic Gohan. Ultimately, Goku could unleash his Full Power and surpass SSJ3 Gotenks as well, but that's before he goes into the Room of Spirit and Time. Scaling down numbers close to Namek saga:

Goku = 3.000k | SSJ2 = 300.000k | SSJ3 = 1.200.000K | Full Power = 1.920.000k
Gohan = 2.250k | Hidde Potential = 2.400.000k
Vegeta = 2.500k | SSJ2 = 250.000k | Majin = 300.000k
Trunks = 250k | Goten = 225k | Gotenks = 4.500k | SSJ = 225.000k | SSJ3 = 1.800.000k
Fat Buu = 300.000k | Angry = 600.000k | Super Buu = 1.200.000k | Kid Buu = 1.200.000k

NOTE: the Fusion formula that was used consists of (A + B) * 10. The post-RoSaT kids could have more power than Full Power SSJ3 Goku or an equal amount as SSJ3 Gotenks, which depends on their increase. Putting Goten at 240k helps us say that he is 10.000k times less than Mystic Gohan, for example.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:31 am

dbgtFO wrote:

I agree. I don't even think Gohan is twice as strong as Goku and I don't think Gotenks surpassed Goku until he went SS3. I just base it on Kid Buu plus the power of South Kaioshin being stronger than Super Buu and that can't happen, if Gotenks and Gohan are multiple times stronger than either of those two at least if you follow a strict addition logic unless otherwise noted in regards to Majin Buu's absorptions.

Given the choice between consistent multipliers that would bloat their battle powers to the extreme or inconsistent multipliers that keep their battle powers in check and at least make the Genkidama scene make a bit more sense, I just say fuck it and go with the latter.
In agreement too. I believe that at some point the story tried to happen without Goku by suggesting a stronger new generation, but in the end it was decided that Majin Boo's tenacity could be only surpassed by the nakama power of Goku, if not by the discarded fusions with Vegeta. Either way, I will wait until DBS shows how Goku and Vegeta are portrayed after their individual training.

Taskmaster
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Taskmaster » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:35 pm

I just assumed that it was baseless hype that was never proven true. The glaring omission of comparisons to Goku's power (who was the benchmark) were missing, and the new powerups didn't amount to much. Even when Goku returns, Vegeta can't do much but gush about how powerful and awesome Goku is, somehting that wouldn't carry any weight if Goku wasn't relevant.

I've always assumed that the multipliers are different for everyone, and that the daizenshuu was correct with it's STRONG implication that Gohan hadn't yet surpassed Goku. I mean, it's still strange that people hold on to that view, even after the statements made in Super...