New "Remastered Box Set" Information

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:35 pm

Yeah, did anybody else notice Kyle Hebert's tone when talking about those dvds in Kirbopher's interview..? :roll:
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Vegetasan

Post by Vegetasan » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:41 pm

Mr.Piccolo wrote:Yeah, did anybody else notice Kyle Hebert's tone when talking about those dvds in Kirbopher's interview..? :roll:
-Rick
How was his tone? (for those of us who haven't heard the interview).

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:56 pm

I'm glad that FUNimation is admitting that fans are unhappy with the widescreen choice. I truly hope this set gets delayed and released in its proper fullscreen format.

Although, one question that arises is: Were the episodes remastered in WS? If so, are all of FUNi's masters stuck that way? It seems FUNi was really enthusiastic about this release, so they may be really far along in the remastering process... (for example "We Gotta Power" scenes in the trailer.)

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:04 am

Although, one question that arises is: Were the episodes remastered in WS? If so, are all of FUNi's masters stuck that way? It seems FUNi was really enthusiastic about this release, so they may be really far along in the remastering process... (for example "We Gotta Power" scenes in the trailer.)
I really don't know if they have gotten far in the remastering, considering 'We Gotta Power' was the only post-Saiyan Saga footage in the trailer. But it's possible.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:14 am

What'd you think there gonna do for an opening theme? It woulndt be right to use the UUC opening. Maybe the'll just use the raw Japanese "Cha La Head Cha La"?

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:17 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:What'd you think there gonna do for an opening theme? It woulndt be right to use the UUC opening. Maybe the'll just use the raw Japanese "Cha La Head Cha La"?
Or maybe dub "Cha-La", like they did for "Makafushigi Adventure!"

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:44 am

Mr.Piccolo wrote:Yeah, did anybody else notice Kyle Hebert's tone when talking about those dvds in Kirbopher's interview..? :roll:
-Rick
Okay. I just heard him talk about the DVDs. I'm not noticing whats :roll: -worthy.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:18 am

Kendamu wrote:
-Rick
Okay. I just heard him talk about the DVDs. I'm not noticing whats :roll: -worthy.
I must agree... He just stated the facts. Kyle Hebert is really involved with the fan community.

RC315
Not-So-Newbie

Post by RC315 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:49 pm

Did you guys see this on the Funimation Forums, posted by the administrator?
Ultimate Uncut Edition Episode 20
Season One Episode 20

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:55 pm

Yeah. We've all seen those.

Personally, at this very moment I'm leaning toward "I'll get the DVDs if I have the extra money to do so" but I'm not totally set to go out and get them without question.

Thy ned to come out with that FAQ with further comparisons and explinations before I decide on a complete "yes" or "no".
(they/she)

RC315
Not-So-Newbie

Post by RC315 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:22 pm

I don't mind the whole widescreen thing, as long as it's like the comparison above. I just hope the colors are similar to what the DragonBox offers.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:36 pm

RC315 wrote:I don't mind the whole widescreen thing, as long as it's like the comparison above. I just hope the colors are similar to what the DragonBox offers.
I can't remember where it was posted, but someone has posted the equivalent DragonBox screen shot. And I remember the colors still being slightly off (the color of the sky comes to mind, and the color of Gohan's inner shirt wasn't black, but more of a blue if I remember correctly) Atlhough the skin tone seemed to be correct. I think the real test will be when we see Piccolo's skin tone.

Funny they should give us a screen from Ep 20 though. I just realized the ending to that episode is one of these:

And cropped & widescreened:
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:54 pm

ect5150 wrote:
RC315 wrote:I don't mind the whole widescreen thing, as long as it's like the comparison above. I just hope the colors are similar to what the DragonBox offers.
I can't remember where it was posted, but someone has posted the equivalent DragonBox screen shot. And I remember the colors still being slightly off (the color of the sky comes to mind, and the color of Gohan's inner shirt wasn't black, but more of a blue if I remember correctly) Atlhough the skin tone seemed to be correct. I think the real test will be when we see Piccolo's skin tone.

Funny they should give us a screen from Ep 20 though. I just realized the ending to that episode is one of these:

But the thing is, they won't crop that much. They will crop a small amount off of the top and bottom, and show more on the sides. There will still be cropping, but not to that extent.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:00 pm

ect5150 wrote:

[--image 1--]

[--image 2--]
They'll be adding to the sides which means there won't be that much cropping from the top and bottom.
(they/she)

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:46 pm

If they were to crop just a tiny bit that would be alright. But look, you can't even see Hokey Pokeys fire!

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:57 pm

Yes, they will be adding more to the left and right sides of the picture, but the question is how much will they be adding? It will have to be a significant amount to minimize the cropping on the top and the bottom, and my gut tells me it won't be.

I would certainly love to be proven wrong, I have a widescreen television that I would watch it on in a heart beat. But experience tells me that Funimation isn't so much addressing concerns as they are spinning proganda and damage control.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:46 am

Well, of course they are. But that's because the general fan message is "OMGWTFBBQ 4:3 OR GO TO HELL, FUNI GRAW GRAH BWALH!!!" or somthing similar. No matter how much spin there is we'll all be able to look past it and see the truth, anyway.

Cropping from top and bottom is definately going to occur unless they stretch the image a little. I stretched the Doomrider AMV to 16:9 in moviemaker and it still came out awesome for the most part. There were a couple of instances where a closeup of the front of a character's face seemed a bit too wide, but whatever.

I also went and looked at a couple DBZ AMVs that were either stretched to 16:9, cropped to 16:9, or stretched and cropped (maybe even zoomed a little) and they turned out pretty damn good for the most part. So, if FUNi were to add to the sides to reduce the amount of stretching, then do a very tiny amount of stretching after that to minimize cropping, it might turn out pretty well still.

Of course, this is coming from a guy who has yet to decide on a definitive "yes" or "no". So don't take my word for it until they come out with that damn FAQ.
(they/she)

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:43 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:Yes, they will be adding more to the left and right sides of the picture, but the question is how much will they be adding? It will have to be a significant amount to minimize the cropping on the top and the bottom, and my gut tells me it won't be.

I would certainly love to be proven wrong, I have a widescreen television that I would watch it on in a heart beat. But experience tells me that Funimation isn't so much addressing concerns as they are spinning proganda and damage control.
So then that means this picture would be pretty ok in widescreen if FUNimation is adding more footage to the sides, right?

By the way, I'm new to the boards and been reading this thread for a while now. So, am I suppose to introduce myself?

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:10 am

dragondyle, you can see a comparison shot of that picture on this very page, just look near the top. And welcome to the boards :D It's not necessary to introduce yourself, but if you want to we have a seperate section of the forums just for that.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:21 am

dragondyle wrote:
Deus ex Machina wrote:Yes, they will be adding more to the left and right sides of the picture, but the question is how much will they be adding? It will have to be a significant amount to minimize the cropping on the top and the bottom, and my gut tells me it won't be.

So then that means this picture would be pretty ok in widescreen if FUNimation is adding more footage to the sides, right?

By the way, I'm new to the boards and been reading this thread for a while now. So, am I suppose to introduce myself?

Is this what you're talking about?
(they/she)