For the sake of my sanity, and universal correctionness!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

For the sake of my sanity, and universal correctionness!

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:36 pm

This one needs some credible proof to help in an argument I am in. I was on another forum (superherohype.com/forums to be exact) and I noticed somebody was spelling Goku's name as 'Gokou', and naturally I corrected him, but he told me that I WAS wrong and that 'Goku' was just a crappy 'FUNi dub rename' (or something like that). Now naturally I tried convincing him he was incorrect because this one had remembered seeing artwork and toys and such where the characters name was rendered as 'Gokou' but I argued that I trust Viz and FUNimation's rendering over some unprofessional translation by a credulous* internet poster. Anywho, this poster has gone on to post a scan from his very own Viz Media copy of Dragonall volume 1 http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5039 ... 21ssn5.jpg

Now this one wishes to know whether or not he is correct or incorrect, but even so, the very copies of DB Manga graphic novels I hold in my hand say 'Goku' and not 'Gokou'. I've tried everything I can think of (like pointing out that he lives in Sweden and I the USA and that they must use a lesser quality translation, but he claims his volume is Viz Media's Manga as well). Please help me, you’re my only hope.

Thanks,
Yūgi's Black Magician

P.S. If I have posted this in the wrong section (this one does not quite often visit this forum) then I gravely sorry.

Look Julian-sensei, I used a word I learned from you! (See the Christmas episode of DaizenshuuEX).

EDIT: Fixed a few spelling errors.
EDIT 2: Fixed another spellign error!!
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:45 pm

So Goku is a misspelling of Goku? You lost me there. =D

And since when is Viz the be all end all? Viz might as well have gotten it wrong. Goku is, if you ask me the most simple, straightforward and quite correct romanisation of the kanji that translate into "Son Goku", especially because in most other cases the "ou" romanisation is meant to signify an elongated "o" sound. And you certainly don't want people getting confused and referring to him as "Son Gokooh" when talking to others. So Goku works best if you ask me.

(And don't talk down to other languages like that, english translations aren't by default better than other languages, and if he has Viz as well it might either be an earlier/later publication or release, or they changed it sometime later in the manga)

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Re: For the sake of my sanity, and universal correctionness!

Post by Tyro » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:50 pm

JulieYBM wrote:and I noticed somebody was spelling Goku's name as 'Goku', and naturally I corrected him,
JulieYBM wrote:the very copies of DB Manga graphic novels I hold in my hand say 'Goku' and not 'Goku'.
In the words of Duo, "You just got word-censor owned."
JulieYBM wrote:and I noticed somebody was spelling Goku's name as 'Gok0u', and naturally I corrected him,
JulieYBM wrote:the very copies of DB Manga graphic novels I hold in my hand say 'Goku' and not 'Gok0u'.
Sorry for the zeros. Had to bypass the word filter.

Edit: I also see Bulma's name as "Buruma."

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:01 pm

Pedro The Hutt wrote:So Goku is a misspelling of Goku? You lost me there. =D

And since when is Viz the be all end all? Viz might as well have gotten it wrong. Goku is, if you ask me the most simple, straightforward and quite correct romanisation of the kanji that translate into "Son Goku", especially because in most other cases the "ou" romanisation is meant to signify an elongated "o" sound. And you certainly don't want people getting confused and referring to him as "Son Gokooh" when talking to others. So Goku works best if you ask me.

(And don't talk down to other languages like that, english translations aren't by default better than other languages, and if he has Viz as well it might either be an earlier/later publication or release, or they changed it sometime later in the manga)
Never was it my intention to talk-down about any other language, but I was merely saying that it might’ve been incorrect.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:13 pm

Just don't worry about it.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:56 pm

If you're looking for "ZOMG Japanese romaization!!!!2" then look for a piece of clothing in the series with his name on it and spell it that way. Kind of like Krillin's hat having "Kulilin" at one point.

I think I remember Goku having a shirt that spelled it "Gokuh" or something.

But, yeah, if you want to see how the Japanese write it in English and use that as definitive as opposed to how most fans spell it just look for screenshots of clothing with character names on them.

[edit]Or, wait, weven better! Take a look at http://www.jeux-france.com/images0_4_18399.html. At the very top of the image in the middle you'll see a red box yellow Kanji in it. Above it are tiny Japanese letters referred to as Furigana in this cntext. When romanizing that Furigana, you get his name spelled as "Go", "Ku", and "U". So, "Gokuu".[/edit]
Last edited by Kendamu on Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:03 pm

This looks like it's from VIZ's old magazines, since it's only page 21 and not 25. Either that or the guy just edited the image to say Gokou and Buruma... :wink:
Kendamu wrote:I think I remember Goku having a shirt that spelled it "Gokuh" or something.
His space outfit said Gokuh, but in movie 3 his coffee mug says Goku! ZOMG!!!

Space oufit = Gokuh
Coffee mug = Goku
Most books/toys = Gokou
Actual romanization = Gokuu

Decisions, decisions... :P
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:06 pm

DBW wrote:Space oufit = Gokuh
Coffee mug = Goku
Most books/toys = Gokou
Actual romanization = Gokuu

Decisions, decisions... :P
See my post edit above.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Android18
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Android18 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:19 pm

errrr.... am i the only know that thinks that the name problems are a bit..... well stupid? i mean its like trying to decide to call osama, as osama or usama.

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:42 pm

Name problems are a bit silly when they're cross writing system related. If it's within the same writing system however there is one and only one correct method. Buuut since this is a cross writing method there is no need at all to call people names over two alternative spellings of a japanese word that are both largely considered correct. o:
Last edited by Pedro The Hutt on Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:40 am

Pretty obvious the image is a fake really, why would Viz put a dash and then have the u on the next line as opposed to simply making the text smaller to fit it all on one line? Also, on Buruma the u got a little bit cut off on the right side, probably from copying and pasting letters over other letters, and the ma is higher up than the rest of the letters in the word.
Last edited by Taku128 on Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
­

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:08 am

How can "Gok0u" possibly be considered a correct romanization? That would be pronounced "GohkOH", rather than the correct "GohKUU".

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:19 am

Tyro wrote:In the words of Duo, "You just got word-censor owned."
Strangely, reading your quoting of me made me want to tell him how to bypass it via PM, so I did. The fact that people actually quote things I've said blows my mind...

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:41 pm

Kendamu wrote: I think I remember Goku having a shirt that spelled it "Gokuh" or something.
[/edit]
Wasn't "Gokuh" how Toriyama-Sensei thought Goku was written in English? On volume...6 I think. (That and "Red Ribon".)
「あの地球人のように?・・・クリリンのことか・・・クリリンのことか————っ!!!!!!」

「オレは地球からきさまをたおすためにやってきたサイヤ人・・・おだやかな心をもちながらはげしい怒りによって目覚めた伝説の戦士・・・超サイヤ人孫悟空だ!!!!!」

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:50 pm

Payne222 wrote:Wasn't "Gokuh" how Toriyama-Sensei thought Goku was written in English?
Well, it's correct ("passport Hepburn").
(That and "Red Ribon".)
He also spelled that one "Red Ribbon", sometimes.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:30 am

I've seen the characters names spelled many different ways. But as long as I know who your refering to I don't give a damn. It's when you start using some of the more obscure spellings and rendering that I start having a problem.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:13 am

Olivier Hague wrote:
Payne222 wrote:Wasn't "Gokuh" how Toriyama-Sensei thought Goku was written in English?
Well, it's correct ("passport Hepburn").
(That and "Red Ribon".)
He also spelled that one "Red Ribbon", sometimes.
Ahhh, why thank you. I thought so, just double checking! (^^)
「あの地球人のように?・・・クリリンのことか・・・クリリンのことか————っ!!!!!!」

「オレは地球からきさまをたおすためにやってきたサイヤ人・・・おだやかな心をもちながらはげしい怒りによって目覚めた伝説の戦士・・・超サイヤ人孫悟空だ!!!!!」

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:11 am

Obviously looks like it was edited as the R's in "Buruma" look like they've been carried over from another word bubble and have undergone some fading compared to the other letters.

The whole "Goko-u" part is even more evidence as to how fake this could be since the comic printings kept the exact name spellings they have now.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:27 pm

Toriyama Akira uses "Gokuh". (e.g. the cover of the sixth volume of DB and Gokuh's space suit.)
Bandai uses "Gokou". (e.g. Bandai's toys.)
Toei Animation uses "Goku". (e.g. Goku's coffee mug in DBZ the movie number three.)
Viz and all English dubs exept one use "Goku".
Tomato and Daimao's subtitles use "Goku".

Other spellings: Gokuu, Gokū, and Gokû.
G1Ravage wrote:How can "Gok0u" possibly be considered a correct romanization? That would be pronounced "GohkOH", rather than the correct "GohKUU".
GokOU, yOU, caribOU. The "Ou" in "Gokou" is supposed to be pronounced "oo", not "oh".
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:26 pm

GokOU, yOU, caribOU. The "Ou" in "Gokou" is supposed to be pronounced "oo", not "oh".
But considering how it would be pronounced in Japanese, it can't be.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!