"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by simtek34 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:02 pm

After waiting, I finally got my copy of Part 1 today! Time to binge!

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Fri May 05, 2017 7:40 pm

simtek34 wrote:After waiting, I finally got my copy of Part 1 today! Time to binge!
Finally got mine on Monday and it's actually better than I was expecting. The dub is massively improved as expected from modern Funimation, but what really surprised me was the color correction not being nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It's obviously not as good as the original Kai but it's a option better than the Season Sets in my opinion.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat May 06, 2017 4:44 am

I found out that my 360 (which I still use to watch DVDs on... though I'm going to need something else soon since it skips on so many discs lately) was set to 5.1 surround sound, when my TV only outputs stereo. Setting it back to stereo in the menu helped the audio levels a bit. It's still not FUNimation's best mix (music and sound effects are still a little too loud), but I can tolerate it now.

At least, I'm hoping that all of the audio issues, whether they be poor mixing or odd EQ on the sound effects, are fixed by the next set, since that's when the arc starts getting good.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sat May 06, 2017 11:58 pm

Hey odd request, since it wasn't on the OST. Anyone able to possibly rip the recap version of "Fight it Out!" off the Blu-Rays?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun May 07, 2017 12:22 am

Kirbopher wrote:Hey odd request, since it wasn't on the OST. Anyone able to possibly rip the recap version of "Fight it Out!" off the Blu-Rays?
Someone already did.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:11 pm

anyone have the DVD version? Id like to see some screen shots befor I decide to but that or the bluray :D

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon May 08, 2017 11:14 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:anyone have the DVD version? Id like to see some screen shots befor I decide to but that or the bluray :D
Why is that even a decision? The DVD will be the same, but blurrier and with more compression artifacts. If you have a Blu-ray player, always go with the Blu-ray.
Retired.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:22 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:anyone have the DVD version? Id like to see some screen shots befor I decide to but that or the bluray :D
Why is that even a decision? The DVD will be the same, but blurrier and with more compression artifacts. If you have a Blu-ray player, always go with the Blu-ray.
Depending on the compresson it could look pretty good and if I can get it alittle cheaper/my other DB medias are DVD anymore I figured i'd ask :D

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Tue May 09, 2017 2:25 am

I believe Metalwario64 bought the DVD version. He already posted some screenshots a couple weeks ago
Metalwario64 wrote:Anyway, I have a few quick screenshots I took:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
I'm pretty sure he got the DVD, but even if those are Blu-ray screencaps, they're in 480p, so you can expect the DVD to look the same.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue May 09, 2017 2:32 am

Yep, those are from the DVD.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue May 09, 2017 12:23 pm

MrWalnut4 wrote:
simtek34 wrote:After waiting, I finally got my copy of Part 1 today! Time to binge!
Finally got mine on Monday and it's actually better than I was expecting. The dub is massively improved as expected from modern Funimation, but what really surprised me was the color correction not being nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It's obviously not as good as the original Kai but it's a option better than the Season Sets in my opinion.
I've gotta second this. I just got the blu ray and maybe it's just my TV but it looks way better than the things I've watched on YouTube and the like. The green tint is there but I really have to focus to notice it, whereas the YouTube clips I've seen are undeniably green tinted. Somewhat of a relief!

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:19 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:
I believe Metalwario64 bought the DVD version. He already posted some screenshots a couple weeks ago
Metalwario64 wrote:Anyway, I have a few quick screenshots I took:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
I'm pretty sure he got the DVD, but even if those are Blu-ray screencaps, they're in 480p, so you can expect the DVD to look the same.
From those screenshots it looks like the green tint is not that noticeable.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Tue May 09, 2017 3:54 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:From those screenshots it looks like the green tint is not that noticeable.
It's definitely noticeable at times, in some scenes more than others, but overall it doesn't detract from my experience. It's a lot more visible in comparison shots than it is viewed on its own.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue May 09, 2017 4:08 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:
JEFFMAN219 wrote:From those screenshots it looks like the green tint is not that noticeable.
It's definitely noticeable at times, in some scenes more than others, but overall it doesn't detract from my experience. It's a lot more visible in comparison shots than it is viewed on its own.
On a good day, I can look at it and enjoy it. Then I see the lemon-lime Super Saiyan aura...
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Tue May 09, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue May 09, 2017 4:13 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:
Yeah that's definitely my experience with it too. I watched it on my TV just fine.

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:21 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Footlong Shoe wrote:
On a good day, I can look at it and enjoy it. Then I see the lemon-lime Super Saiyan aura...
That's pretty much my experience too. Some times the color correction will be fairly passable.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Other times, not so much.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
It really depends on the episode and the scene. Hilariously enough the quality of color correction can vary within the episode which is a bit jarring. Nevertheless I'm still glad that it isn't nearly as bad as the broadcast rips made them out to be back in 2014.

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Fri May 12, 2017 8:37 am

I'm also in that camp that doesn't notice the green tint very much on the Blu-ray, which is playing at 1080P via my PS4 on a 32in Samsung TV but as most are saying here, it's a scene by scene basis in terms of how severe it is.

The thing I do notice is how soft the image actually is, maybe even more so than Kai 1.0, and more over, much like Funi's Z Blu-ray Season Sets, the line work feels somewhat blurred, maybe to a lesser degree though.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri May 12, 2017 2:09 pm

Soul wrote:I'm also in that camp that doesn't notice the green tint very much on the Blu-ray, which is playing at 1080P via my PS4 on a 32in Samsung TV but as most are saying here, it's a scene by scene basis in terms of how severe it is.

The thing I do notice is how soft the image actually is, maybe even more so than Kai 1.0, and more over, much like Funi's Z Blu-ray Season Sets, the line work feels somewhat blurred, maybe to a lesser degree though.
I backed up my blu rays to my PC and I defintiely notice the green tint on my monitor now. It's something to do with my TV's calibration that makes it look better. Seems we're all calibrated similarly :lol:

Tobi555
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tobi555 » Sat May 13, 2017 1:57 am

So I've been seeing yamamoto replacement tracks on buu kai dub scenes and noticed that the sound effects sound fine there. Does replacing the score fix the sound effects or do some people have copies of Buu Kai without the sound mixing issue?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat May 13, 2017 2:12 am

Tobi555 wrote:So I've been seeing yamamoto replacement tracks on buu kai dub scenes and noticed that the sound effects sound fine there. Does replacing the score fix the sound effects or do some people have copies of Buu Kai without the sound mixing issue?
It's possible that whoever's remixing the tracks tried to replace the muffled effects with their intact counterparts. Most of the sound effects are just fine anyway, though.
Retired.