"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:58 pm

Chuquita wrote:Super is so much more confusing than I feel it should be right now. I wish they'd just come out and bluntly explain what's going on so we wouldn't be left guessing.
Reminds me of when we knew next to nothing about Revival of F for months even as date got closer..

Wonder why Toei so private about DB these days.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:06 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Super is so much more confusing than I feel it should be right now. I wish they'd just come out and bluntly explain what's going on so we wouldn't be left guessing.
Reminds me of when we knew next to nothing about Revival of F for months even as date got closer..

Maybe it has to do with them not having enough finished in time and so not saying much so they aren't stuck with something and have wiggle room to change things up until the very end? I don't know. @_@
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:09 pm

LuckyCat wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:I don't think so. I think Super just takes place some months after Buu.
Doesn't make sense Satan get the world peace award for beating Buu just 2 years later.
I thought about the world peace money, and it's also odd in its own way. If everyone's memory of Buu got erased, should Mr. Satan still be getting prize money for defeating Buu?
It was stated somewhere and already clarified here by the admins.
Even though the earthlings got their bad memories about Buu erased, they still remember that Satan saved them from something.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:36 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:

Maybe they think that less is more: the DB fanbase (in general) is so big that we can turn even the smallest hint into pages and pages of speculation, which is, in turn, publicity for them.
I prefer this approach to "let's show you a trailer which will basically spoil you the whole movie".
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:13 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:It was stated somewhere and already clarified here by the admins.
Even though the earthlings got their bad memories about Buu erased, they still remember that Satan saved them from something.
Sounds like a retcon, but even so, it could take them time to raise that money. World banks don't keep money on reserve just in case they need to give it to a hero. :D

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:24 pm

Re: spoilers

I love spoilers. I like having as good an idea of what I'm getting into as possible before I jump in. Knowing they have information that I want to know and that they don't want to share it is the kind of thing that really frustrates me a lot. It makes me think negatively about the show; like "What are they trying to hide?" or "Oh wow the behind-the-scenes situation must be that awful." or "I bet they haven't even finished working on the first episode yet." or "They must not care about this project all that much."

If this were the norm for seasonal anime, I wouldn't be nearly as suspicious, but Super's the only major series this entire summer season that's barely said a word about itself! For those who haven't seen the graph someone posted a while back, the only other show that had as little information out about it was the pillow boys show! :shock:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:02 pm

LuckyCat wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:Even though the earthlings got their bad memories about Buu erased, they still remember that Satan saved them from something.
Sounds like a retcon
No, that's explicitly stated by the narrator in chapter 517 (DBZ chapter 323 in the Viz version). It's there right from the very beginning. The contradiction is with stuff like the JSAT special, which depicts the people of Earth remembering that Satan saved them from Boo specifically.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:34 pm

Herms wrote:No, that's explicitly stated by the narrator in chapter 517 (DBZ chapter 323 in the Viz version). It's there right from the very beginning. The contradiction is with stuff like the JSAT special, which depicts the people of Earth remembering that Satan saved them from Boo specifically.
I don't blame the JSAT special writers for being confused, honestly. :mrgreen: Still that alone gives no basis for when money will come to Mr. Satan. It's not like a Tenkaichi Budoukai where there's prize money waiting around to be handed out.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:12 pm

LuckyCat wrote:I don't blame the JSAT special writers for being confused, honestly. :mrgreen: Still that alone gives no basis for when money will come to Mr. Satan. It's not like a Tenkaichi Budoukai where there's prize money waiting around to be handed out.
More than anything, it sounds like Satan's won some sort of DB equivalent of the Noble Peace Prize. Although God knows what category that would fall under. A Noble Prize for martial arts?

Also, it's got to be said, 100 million isn't that much. Toriyama's stated a few times that zenny are roughly equivalent in value to Japanese yen, which would make one about on par with a US penny (conveniently enough). So 100 million zenny should be about 1 million USD. Hardly seems worth it, especially for someone who's already loaded. Heck, even 100 million USD isn't exactly wealth beyond the dreams of avarice, at least not anymore. "Wow, every single person in the entire world would be dead if it weren't for you! Here, have 7% of the net gross from Age of Ultron! Keep up the good work!"
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:58 pm

Herms wrote:Also, it's got to be said, 100 million isn't that much. Toriyama's stated a few times that zenny are roughly equivalent in value to Japanese yen, which would make one about on par with a US penny (conveniently enough). So 100 million zenny should be about 1 million USD. Hardly seems worth it, especially for someone who's already loaded.
This might be fridge brilliance on Toriyama's part. The money is not worth much to Mr. Satan, but for Goku's family living in the sticks where the cost of living is low, it's plenty. So we don't really need to feel bad for Mr. Satan losing the money at all, and it's going to someone who it really has value for. :thumbup:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:52 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:

People are gonna watch it no matter what. They really dont need to market it that much. We did just have a movie that was successful in the same year so it's not like Super is new DB material in 18 years. A short teaser get people talking, (just look at the amount of discussion here on it already) and TOEI are golden.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:54 pm

I mean hey, that money's gotta come from somewhere. Do you think all of the taxpayers are willing to give this rich guy a billion?

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:35 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:

People are gonna watch it no matter what. They really dont need to market it that much. We did just have a movie that was successful in the same year so it's not like Super is new DB material in 18 years. A short teaser get people talking, (just look at the amount of discussion here on it already) and TOEI are golden.
Well the discussion for Super pales in comparison to Revival of F. But RF had the same lack of news too. I agree you don't have to market much. But it's so little marketing right now.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:49 am

TheGmGoken wrote:Well the discussion for Super pales in comparison to Revival of F.
Does it? F's thread had 77 pages of discussion here, at the time of two months after the announcement. Super has 302..
F's thread is almost one year old now, so that can't be compared.

Worldwide, i think Super's announcement made a much bigger wave than F. It was everywhere in the news here, pretty much every news websites in countries where Dragon Ball was a hit gave it a highlight.

ChahikoDBZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ChahikoDBZ » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:58 am

I'm so glad and excited that Toyotaro will be doing the manga adaptation. His art style differs a bit from Toriyama's but that's fine because I love his style too.
(Fanfiction link coming soon.)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:23 pm

I don't know if it was intentional or used as a refference or what. But the bottom pannel reminds me a lot of these two panels from chapter 336

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:28 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:I don't know if it was intentional or used as a refference or what. But the bottom pannel reminds me a lot of these two panels from chapter 336
I don't think it was intentional. But if it was, that's a pretty good callback to the manga.

That image also highlights how well Toyotaro's art style of Dragon Ball holds up well in comparison to Toriyama, during arguably his prime.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:30 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:I don't know if it was intentional or used as a refference or what. But the bottom pannel reminds me a lot of these two panels from chapter 336

-snip-
Probably unintentional. There's also this:

I think they're just common expressions Goku does, nothing special.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:18 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
LuckyCat wrote:I just watched the Jump Special again after reading the new manga chapter. They're surprisingly compatible. The Jump Special takes place 2 years after the defeat of Buu. At that time, Goku had yet to receive money from Mr. Satan, and Gohan and Videl definitely weren't married. So since Goku does receive money and Gohan and Videl are getting married in Super, it's probably safe to say it takes place at least 2 years after the defeat of Buu.

What do you guys think?
I don't think so. I think Super just takes place some months after Buu.
Doesn't make sense Satan get the world peace award for beating Buu just 2 years later.
Confirmed. It takes place 6 months later.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:59 pm

So it did take awhile for that money. But following that, it's probably not possible for the JSAT special and Super to take place in the same continuity.