Episode #0364 (04 July 2014)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Episode #0364 (04 July 2014)

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:58 pm

It's great that you we're able to have an interview with some of the funi guys! I hope y'all get more interviews with them and more! =D

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:35 pm

Pretty sure the Cantonese Blu-ray subs had ‘Bills the Destroyer’ too, for what it's worth.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:27 pm

Listened to the podcast while at work, and it was definitely an enjoyable one. Really makes me wish I could go see the movie in theater (still have a slight option, but as of now it's still not looking super likely, sadly). I wish we had gotten to hear more from Sean before he had to go, or that at least his leaving had been better announced rather than him just disappearing, but Justin and Chris still put on a great show with you guys.

Hearing Sabat voice so many things similar to my own opinion on Battle of Gods definitely gave me even more hope that we're in for a GREAT dub of this material.

OH. Almost forgot, there was a mention that someone from Teen Wolf was at the premiere. Who was it? :shock:

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:59 pm

"Beerus the Destroyer" kinda sounds similar to "Shiva the Destroyer", which I guess is pretty appropriate. Also reminds me of Sutekh the Destroyer from Doctor Who. He even looks a bit like Beerus...sorta.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:00 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:OH. Almost forgot, there was a mention that someone from Teen Wolf was at the premiere. Who was it? :shock:
I want to know that and who the Modern Family actor was. :crazy:

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:27 pm

my money is on the wise-cracking Hispanic kid.

majinboogc
Not-So-Newbie

Post by majinboogc » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:33 am

Hello everyone! I am Miguel and I was lucky enough to be in attendance with Josh and Ryan at the red carpet premier. It was truly an experience I will never forget!

Out of all the actors and actresses that showed up to the red carpet event, I truly only recognized the FUNimation voice actors. As for the Modern Family actress, she is not a regular on the show and to be completely truthful, I don't remember seeing her on the show. There was one name that I won't mention that I saw on the confirmation list that never showed. It would have been awesome to meet that actor but oh well...

The main reason why I am here is to write about my expereince in the Cosplay/fan theater. If anyone was there, please feel free to correct me or fill in things that I may have missed. You could feel the excitement in the room! Once Mr. Rojas stepped up to announce the start of the film the crowd cheered in excitement. That energy persisted throughout the movie. There was a troll in the back of the room but he wasn't too annoying. One thing that really stuck out was the awkward moment when they alluded to Vegeta's younger brother. I could hear some whispers around the theater asking about him. I totally missed the opportunity to ask at the after party if they would release the Jump Super Anime Tour Special along with the movie. Aside from that, it was a great and enjoyable experience for everyone, even the troll. We attempted to sing to Cha-La but failed miserably due to the unintelligible Engrish. Having previously attended opening night in Tijuana, it felt a lot like that only there we sang Cha-La in Spanish which is why it wasn't until I bought the Mexican Blu-ray that I noticed the Engrish.

As a few of you already know, I am primarily a fan of the Mexican version of the Dragon Ball franchise followed by the original Japanese and English Dragon Ball and Kai. I have seen this movie far too many times in Japanese and Spanish and I knew what I hoped to expect. The script is for the most part the same as the Spanish script with the exception of the ad-lib lines that were mentioned by the cast in the podcast. I had a hunch that the songs would be in Engrish based on a question that I asked the music director for the Spanish dub, Ricardo Silva, on Twitter. He said that due to licensing agreements, they had no other choice but to use the Engrish songs even though he had already recorded both of them in Spanish. Over all, it is a faithful dub of the original and I greatly enjoyed it. I have to say that it looks very pretty on the big screen! You should definetly go see it!

Babbu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Babbu » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:10 pm

majinboogc wrote: One thing that really stuck out was the awkward moment when they alluded to Vegeta's younger brother. I could hear some whispers around the theater asking about him. I totally missed the opportunity to ask at the after party if they would release the Jump Super Anime Tour Special along with the movie.
I was hoping someone would ask about this because the one thing about the dub I've been most interested in was how they were going to handle the Tarble mention

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:45 pm

xmysticgohanx wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:OH. Almost forgot, there was a mention that someone from Teen Wolf was at the premiere. Who was it? :shock:
I want to know that and who the Modern Family actor was. :crazy:
I would be very curious too, cause even if not watching the show, I'd still be curious to see what's the "star profile" type that went to the premiere.
Who were they, what's their name, who do they play or what do they look like? (any answer to one of these four questions could be enough to find out who they are)

AlexFili
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexFili » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:09 pm

Looking forward to listening to this podcast, hopefully it will make a UK appearance sometime (probably DVD only)

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:33 am

AlexFili wrote:(probably DVD only)
Most likely, although a one off theatrical broadcast at one of the larger cons (such as MCN or LFCC) is plausible.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:29 pm

Hello, Mike and friends!

Though I never post in the Podcast thread, be assured that I've listened to every podcast to date, and this was one of my absolute favorites by far. It's always fascinating to me to hear about Dragon Ball from a production standpoint (be it the Japanese or English versions).

Great interview with the folks at FUNi, and I'm sure the dub will be just fine when we all go see it in theaters in roughly a month from now. "The Destroyer" doesn't really bother me as a translation choice. It works, and the deity status of Beerus, Whis, and Super Saiyan God is most likely still preserved in the dialogue, I'm sure. We're a long way beyond "The Next Dimension" and "Guardian of Earth"... which makes me happy.

Looking forward to hearing Kanzenshuu's thoughts on the US theatrical premiere in a few weeks!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:54 pm

There's a few quick things I never got around to mentioning when I was on the podcast:

1) Beerus and Goku's conversation about pride and the idea of Beerus teaching Goku some sort of lesson throughout their fight made a lot more sense to me than it did in any fansubbed version of BoG that I've seen at this point. In the subbed versions it didn't feel like Beerus was trying to convince Goku to be able to accept help from his friends. It just felt like he was mocking Goku for it. Now the meaning of their conversation is much more clear.

2) When Trunks flew over to Pilaf and crew, Pilaf said something to the effect of, "You really had to fly just to move like 20 feet?! Geez," and Trunks replied, "Dude, it's not a big deal," before starting to ask Mai to act like she's his girlfriend. It made me chuckle and didn't actually get in the way of the flow of the conversation or anything. But, if you're a purist about dialog this one's gonna irk you the same way Goku saying, "Note to self: Don't go to Hell," did in Kai.

3) When Gohan was drunk and being Great Saiyaman, Krillin said something to the effect of, "Gohan doesn't normally act like this. He must've been hitting the punch pretty hard," rather than directly stating, "Gohan's been drinking," "Gohan's drunk," or something more common like, "Gohan's been hitting the sauce pretty hard." I don't know if they were trying to get around directly stating that Gohan was drunk or if "hitting the punch" is just something I don't ever really hear in my own life. Even if I had never seen the movie, though, I still would've understood exactly what Krillin meant and, if I weren't comparing the original to the dub, I wouldn't have thought anything of it at all.

Sorry that this wasn't mentioned before. With big stuff like this it usually takes a bit for me to get past the excitement and process it all. I plan on seeing the movie again during a public showing. If I notice anything else, I'll let you know. However, so will everyone else who has seen it by that point. :lol:

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:02 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:Great interview with the folks at FUNi, and I'm sure the dub will be just fine when we all go see it in theaters in roughly a month from now. "The Destroyer" doesn't really bother me as a translation choice. It works, and the deity status of Beerus, Whis, and Super Saiyan God is most likely still preserved in the dialogue, I'm sure. We're a long way beyond "The Next Dimension" and "Guardian of Earth"... which makes me happy.
Actually, I think it was stated (but I forget if it was in the podcast or if it was in this thread, or the general BoG thread, or where exactly) that they still use 'Guardian' to refer to Dende.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:00 pm

1) Beerus and Goku's conversation about pride and the idea of Beerus teaching Goku some sort of lesson throughout their fight made a lot more sense to me than it did in any fansubbed version of BoG that I've seen at this point. In the subbed versions it didn't feel like Beerus was trying to convince Goku to be able to accept help from his friends. It just felt like he was mocking Goku for it. Now the meaning of their conversation is much more clear.
Eh...sounds more like they've changed the meaning of their conversation a bit. "Beerus convinces Goku to accept help from his friends" isn't really part of the original dialogue.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:06 pm

Herms wrote:
Eh...sounds more like they've changed the meaning of their conversation a bit. "Beerus convinces Goku to accept help from his friends" isn't really part of the original dialogue.
Basically, yeah. The way it flows in the original is that Beerus is intrigued by Goku's pride, and what made him accept help in order to reach Super Saiyan God. Goku's response seems to be part of what convinces Beerus that Goku is worth keeping an eye on, even if he's no match at the moment.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:41 pm

Herms wrote:
He didn't exactly convince Goku in the dub, it just felt more like he was trying to get Goku to take that "self-reliance to a fault" quality down a notch. In the subs, it felt more like an argument where neither side was willing to budge.

It just felt more like a lesson being taught, which goes along with Piccolo's comment, rather than two guys arguing while they punch each other.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:22 am

Kendamu wrote:3) When Gohan was drunk and being Great Saiyaman, Krillin said something to the effect of, "Gohan doesn't normally act like this. He must've been hitting the punch pretty hard," rather than directly stating, "Gohan's been drinking," "Gohan's drunk," or something more common like, "Gohan's been hitting the sauce pretty hard." I don't know if they were trying to get around directly stating that Gohan was drunk or if "hitting the punch" is just something I don't ever really hear in my own life.
Perhaps my memory is failing me, but didn't Gohan actually drink punch to get drunk? In which case, it's quite subject specific and not really out of place.

Mondo cool!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:17 pm

Pretty sure he was drinking wine, like he was pouring for Bluma?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:27 am

Daizex interviews Schemmel? What is this, Bizarro World? (Did he really say "Heya Ossu"?)