The music in the Funimation Dub movies made them better.

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: The music in the Funimation Dub movies made them better.

Post by Kakacarrottop » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:22 pm

The rock/metal music in the movies was absolutely terrible. Even as a kid i hated it. The later music by Mark Menza and Nathan Johnson was also really generic and boring. I'm generally not a fan of the Japanese music but i have to admit it trounces the replacement music used in the movies. The only replacement movie music i liked was the Saban score used in the original Tree of Might dub.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:31 pm

What soundtrack did the broadcast version of The World's Strongest use back in the 1996 era?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:34 pm

Both Dead Zone and The World's Strongest used the Japanese score. Tree of Might was from the Saban days, so it used the Levy score.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:42 pm

Moving to "Music" forum.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:56 am

I think the music in Funi Dub did more harm than good

I've read a review saying when its supposed to be calm, Funi's music is intense AF. When it must tragic, the music is triumphant. Like not only it damages & removes every impact a scene gives, but makes you wonder just what were they tryin to acheive?

DoragonBoru is a classic Japanese show, inspired from ancient Chinese myth. You tell me if any person in his right mind would use Rock songs for such anime.

Sadly, Funi's version of dbz has certainly formed a fanbase thinking dbz is all about Green Guys flying & firing beams, hence ROCK songs are best-suited for the show.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:34 am

Bacon Skittles wrote:I miss the good ol days of DBZ, especially during the height of it's popularity in America. For some reason the rock music at the time seemed to fit well with the series.
What do you mean you miss it? The soundtracks haven't gone away. They're still available as an option on even the most recent releases.

That being said, very few of the Movies even used the Insert Songs anyway. Most of them are scored from start to finish. I think the song selections for those movies are ok, but it really does feel like a long AMV at times. Or a fandub that just places random songs they like because they can't get the original tracks. I prefer the ones with a proper scoring approach, to be honest. Also, I like that each Movie has its own style. Helps keeps things fresh.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."