Dragon Ball: The Complete Illustrations. *Updated With Pics*

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:28 am

Forgotten Hero wrote:
Pain wrote:
Forgotten Hero wrote: No shit Sherlock :? I just don't want that typical crappy Viz translations.
Well I HAVE solved a few mysteries, but none of them involved :no shit". :P But seriously, I know where you're comin' from. Viz doesn't give the BEST translations. But I guess if you like the words "Center Fold Jutsu" and "Lord Of Worlds", then it's all the more crappier(that's an actual word).
lol, Piccolo's early dialog :lol: Trishisms as they call it on the podcast/
OMG! Yes! :lol: And the way he refers to himself in third-person and his old Norse God way of speaking, makes it so hard to imagine his voice.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:06 am

On a side note, I was just reading the Dragonball Volume 1 i got off Ebay, and it seems to be uncut. How lucky of me!
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Pain

Post by Pain » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:11 am

Raki wrote:On a side note, I was just reading the Dragonball Volume 1 i got off Ebay, and it seems to be uncut. How lucky of me!
HOW uncut? Please explain. You mean uses of profane language? Because Viz's DBZ Vol. 1-14 have that. :lol:

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:37 am

Pain wrote:
Raki wrote:On a side note, I was just reading the Dragonball Volume 1 i got off Ebay, and it seems to be uncut. How lucky of me!
HOW uncut? Please explain. You mean uses of profane language? Because Viz's DBZ Vol. 1-14 have that. :lol:
Uncut as in no bubbles on Bulma.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:39 pm

Velasa wrote:A few pictures with characters flipping people off and some 'polaroids' taken by Muten Roshi are the first things that come to mind.
There's also a picture of Gohan, Goten, and Trunks riding in a car that says "SATAN CITY POLICE DEPT." on the side, with Goten and Trunks firing guns. It'll be interesting to see what they do with that picture. I can see them editing "SATAN" into "HERCULE", but the guns will be hard to edit.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:06 pm

I'm willing to bet that they will at least recolor Bulma's tan lines so that they aren't noticeable in the Roshi picture. I'm also dying to see what's in the extra page that we're getting, and if it will contain the Shenlong Times.
---------------------------------------
Raki wrote:
Pain wrote:
It must have been VIZ's fourth printing of volume one, that's the only uncensored edition that VIZ has released of volume one. Here's the only other uncensored editions they've released:

-Dragon Ball Volume 1: Fourth Printing uncensored (June 2001)
-Dragon Ball Volume 2: Third Printing uncensored (November 2001)
-Dragon Ball Volume 3: Second Printing uncensored (November 2001)

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:21 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:I'm also dying to see what's in the extra page that we're getting, and if it will contain the Shenlong Times.
I doubt you could squeeze all of the Shenlong Times onto one page. Maybe the interview with his editors, or Toriyama's "What I'm Up to Nowadays" comic. Although I suspect that the extra page is simply due to the subleties of printing and won't be anything new.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:00 pm

I don't think anything was mentioned about the original Daizenshuu's poster being carried over to this edition, has there? If not, perhaps the extra page is being used to convert that poster to page form. I don't think that final manga page sketch is included in the book otherwise, is it?

Anyway, I can't wait for the dissection, Tanooki. I'm more excited about this than I am about any of the billion re-releases of the manga that are coming out this year.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:39 pm

MagicBox wrote:I don't think anything was mentioned about the original Daizenshuu's poster being carried over to this edition, has there? If not, perhaps the extra page is being used to convert that poster to page form. I don't think that final manga page sketch is included in the book otherwise, is it?
It actually was included both as the poster and as image no.265 in the main book. The poster has the rough sketch version, and the book has the finalized version that appeared in the manga.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:54 pm

Does anybody think Viz will fuck this up?

Pain

Post by Pain » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:58 pm

Raki wrote:Does anybody think Viz will fuck this up?
Yes. Completely.

Daburcor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daburcor » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:23 am

And royally.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv5j_vmyOaQ]There's many things I'll never know for sure...[/url]

Pain

Post by Pain » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:31 am

Daburcor wrote:And royally.
This translation may make the Street Fighter Live Action film look like an Oscar Winner.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:47 am

Oh come on, people. Daizenshuu 1 is just an artbook.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Pain

Post by Pain » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:49 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:Oh come on, people. Daizenshuu 1 is just an artbook.
But the VIZ Daizenshuu 1 will be an art book with edits.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:55 am

Pain wrote: This translation may make the Street Fighter Live Action film look like an Oscar Winner.
I really don't see how the terrible Street Fighter movie and some mistranslated text in a picture book are comparable.

There really isn't much to stuff up in Daizenshuu 1, if you're buying it, you're buying it for the pictures, you can always view the interview with Toriyama on Kanzentai.

I know it's fun to bash things, but most people are happy about this release, do you really have to bog the thread down with your bad comparisons?

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:01 am

Raki wrote:
Pain wrote:
Yes, they only edited the middle fingers on Gotenks, and Yamcha and Kuririn on a page spread with cell in the center. Other I think it is mostly uncut.
The Viz big editions have the bubbles though, good thing I canceled my order on that crap!
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:05 am

Captain Awesome wrote:I know it's fun to bash things, but most people are happy about this release, do you really have to bog the thread down with your bad comparisons?
Agreed. So you can't get your fix of Bulma's boobs from a children's comic book. There's the entire rest of the internet for that.

Actually, I've scrolled through MFG's scan gallery of Daizenshuu 1, and I don't think there's even anything in there worth editing. Cut Viz a break; they're not freakin' 4Kids.

Also, I didn't know this one had Toriyama interviews, too. Looking forward to reading them.
Last edited by Kaboom on Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Pain

Post by Pain » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:05 am

Captain Awesome wrote:
Pain wrote: This translation may make the Street Fighter Live Action film look like an Oscar Winner.
I really don't see how the terrible Street Fighter movie and some mistranslated text in a picture book are comparable.

There really isn't much to stuff up in Daizenshuu 1, if you're buying it, you're buying it for the pictures, you can always view the interview with Toriyama on Kanzentai.

I know it's fun to bash things, but most people are happy about this release, do you really have to bog the thread down with your bad comparisons?

Captain Awesome, I'll type this once: Please leave me be. Every once in a while, here you come with your jerk-ish comments towards me. I haven't done anything to you, so why do you insist on trying to make me look like a dick? EX told me to stop the useless arguments, so I stopped. I don't wanna have any reason to hold a grudge against you. So PLEASE just leave me be. I was only using sarcasm. And yet you STILL want to bother me. You see all of my faults, but you have yet to see yours. You tell me not to bog this thread down with my "bad comparisons", but I think I remember you having more than one page worth of posts saying the same thing over and over and over: "FUNi's terrible, the actors suck too.". See my point? So don't cast any stones until you know what you've done as well. These are all opinions. Please respect mine like I'm trying to respect yours.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:09 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:So you can't get your fix of Bulma's boobs from a children's comic book. There's the entire rest of the internet for that.

Actually, I've scrolled through MFG's scan gallery of Daizenshuu 1, and I don't think there's even anything in there worth editing. Cut Viz a break; they're not freakin' 4Kids.
I just wanna have the manga the way it was originally print. I'm not interested in looking at Bulma's boobs all day.

Secondly, I love Viz for bring DBZ to book stores! I proudly own all of DBZ, in manga form. But I still have every right to point out the shit that is wrong with their release of Dragonball.
Last edited by Forgotten Hero on Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"