The International Version of the Buu-Kai Arc

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Puto
I Live Here

Re: The International (/Korean) Version of the Buu-Kai Arc

Post by Puto » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:51 am

Okay, enough is enough. As far as I'm concerned, 'Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters' and 'Dragon Ball Kai Episodes 99+' are now two different shows.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:58 am

I assume that only Japan will get "episodes 99+" and the rest of the world will get the "Final Chapters". I'd like to hear the opening and ending in the international version, but right now, I prefer "The final chapters" knowing that the pacing will be better and that the music placement will be different.

However, I think that only the first three episodes (so far) will differ between both versions.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:24 am

UltimateHammerBro wrote:However, I think that only the first three episodes (so far) will differ between both versions.
This is not and will be not be the case.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:03 am

Yeah, The Final Chapters show every sign of being substantially different from the Fuji TV edit in almost every way imaginable.

-About 20 more Episodes
-Vastly different music placement (still Sumitomo)
-Completely different OP and ED themes, but still Japanese for whatever reason
-Darker Coloring rather than a Green Tint

Aside from losing the Japanese theme songs, I think this International Version will turn out to be the superior product overall, with a lot more breathing room in the episodes, both pacing-wise and music-wise.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:27 am

B wrote:So I guess the question now is... was absolutely anything close to a reasonable budget spent on producing these new songs? Have Hiroshi Yamada, Yo Yamazaki, or Masatoshi Ono been involved with DB before? Is every other country getting the same song(s)?
I don't think this was ever fully answered, but Hiroshi Yamada wrote the lyrics for roughly half of the Kai insert songs, among others. Yo Yamazaki composed and (horribly) performed a few of Kai's songs (The Ginyu Corps song and "Win Tough Fight!"). Masatoshi Ono is new to the series, I believe.

So aside from the singer, it's par for the course for Kai.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:54 pm

I wonder if some insane soul would dare venture to try and "frankenstein" episodes from the international and Japanese home versions together into something barely resembling decent pacing. Heh, "frankensteining the frankenstein."
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:02 pm

B wrote:I wonder if some insane soul would dare venture to try and "frankenstein" episodes from the international and Japanese home versions together into something barely resembling decent pacing. Heh, "frankensteining the frankenstein."
I don't think the pacing has been bad, outside of perhaps Episode #100. Remove most of the music and the episodes would feel like less 'important' things are happening.

Also, Heath has updated the site with a new section for The Final Chapters.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:01 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
UltimateHammerBro wrote:However, I think that only the first three episodes (so far) will differ between both versions.
Care to explain why? Why do you think that? Why so sure?
You sometimes seem so cutting.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:27 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:
Care to explain why? Why do you think that? Why so sure?
You sometimes seem so cutting.
We've already seen other discrepancies in later episode titles between the magazines and the broadcast. A few of the titles on the Japanese broadcast have been changed or, in the case of episode 108, have popped out of thin air entirely. Not to mention, we're talking about a difference of roughly 20 or so episodes between versions. It's a sure bet that there are a lot more differences than just the first three episodes.

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:14 pm

So, I decided to try and plan out what we should do on the Dragon Ball Kai wikipedia page because of this international non-sense going on, and unfortunately, I hit a road block.

Really would be helpful if someone could back me up a bit on this, because I feel this needs to be addressed. (For the record, I'm Mendinso on there)

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:47 pm

ChibiGoku wrote:So, I decided to try and plan out what we should do on the Dragon Ball Kai wikipedia page because of this international non-sense going on, and unfortunately, I hit a road block.

Really would be helpful if someone could back me up a bit on this, because I feel this needs to be addressed. (For the record, I'm Mendinso on there)
We still don't know much about this Korean version, and it's not relevant yet regarding an English wikipedia page. I would wait a little while, but I definitely think it should be two separate lists when the time comes. I sure hope we end up getting both versions somehow.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:55 am

Thanks to DongHyun, I've just got the opening and ending to the international version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEj2GKEoiZo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjtuQPaeQRM

ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImage
Last edited by kei17 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:58 am

kei17 wrote:Thanks to DongHyun, I've just got the opening and ending to the international version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEj2GKEoiZo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjtuQPaeQRM

Sorry I couldn't get it.... :(. My cousin doesn't know they're two different Kai's. He's confused.

The opening is TRASH. its garbage. The Jpn version is better. The closing sucks ass too.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:00 am

Now we know where these shots came from.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:23 am

I have a feeling the opening will grow on me. Also NO VEGITO SPOILERS YAY! Ending is per usual rubbish endings. Cool art though.
Last edited by TheAldella on Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:28 am

I actually really liked that opening. I think the ED is better than the current Japanese one, though I'm still not too big on it.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:34 am

Opening Thoughts
- The shot with the logo doesn't have that obnoxious footage of the CGI city spinning around and around. That's a plus.
- That new pan shot of the whole group is all kinds of off-model. Bleh. :/
- Some of the cuts that were re-used for "Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go" are slowed down in this version. I kinda like it better this way. They sync up pretty well here.
- Oddly, we don't see Gotenks in this version. It's just his silhouette. How strange.
- That close-up of Goku's face right before he turns Super Saiyan 3 hurts to look at. It doesn't help that it lingers on that bad drawing for a couple of seconds.
- You think the whole thing is going to end with that shot of Super Saiyan 3 Goku's Kamehame-Ha, but then it just keeps going. MAKE IT STOP.
- The song itself is... okay? "Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go" isn't perfect, but it blows this out of the water. This song doesn't get me excited for the show at all. At least we know where Sumitomo's title card and eyecatch music cues come from now, though.

Ending Thoughts
- Hmm, Goku actually joins the others on the battlefield this time. To be honest, I kinda liked it better when he wasn't there.
- That family photo shot is really awkwardly placed now.
- I love Shōnen, but this is too Shōnen. That scene with everyone smiling and nodding their heads was painful. Even Piccolo? C'maaaaan.
- That new shot of everyone standing together is pretty cool. They don't have their damaged, determined faces anymore, but whatever, I guess!
- Oh, they were fighting Majin Buu and Dabra that whole time. I like the ambiguity of the "Dear, Zarathustra" version better. It didn't matter who they were fighting. I thought the point was that they were banding together no matter what.
- Okay-looking closing shot, but the logo over the end ruins it. I hope that's a Korean version exclusive.
- Well, that song is definitely... a song! I prefer "Dear, Zarathustra," which isn't much of a compliment.

It's hard for me to tell from the sound quality, but are these both entirely in "Engrish?" Surely they're just poorly-recorded Korean versions that feature some English, right?

No?

Abort! ABORT!
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:51 am

So, just to clarify, these were made before the opening and ending for the local/Japanese TV version were, yes?

Seems obvious, but I just wanna make sure. Kinda surprised that they went out of their to animate additional scenes for Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go!

But yeah, definitely the Japanese opening and ending for me. Sad that I'll probably never own them on a home release, they are genuinely some of my favourites in the franchise.

The chanting at the end of 'Fight it Out' seems reminiscent of the Burst Limit opening which is funny because didn't the 'Engrish' version have the same name?

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:12 am

I am so sad right now and angry at the same time. ''Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go'' was by far the best DBZ-related opening I have ever heard and now it's out of the International Version. Toei just ruins everything once again. Congrats!

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:29 am

^ Well, I don't know if we can say they "ruined" everything since that international version was done first, so from your point of view it should be that they actually "improved" things for the Japanese release by creating Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go.

It would be a bit as if you played the Resident Evil remake on Gamecube and then played the original on the PS1 saying "they ruined everything!" :)
If anything, you can blame the various countries if they don't ask Toei "now that you made new openings and endings, we want them for our international version too, we'll create our own mix of "Japanese opening - international episode - Japanese ending" if necessary", then you can blame them for not doing so.