"DragonBall Online" Trailer

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Furu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Furu » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:20 pm

Someone must have read in a history book about the RR and went "Hey! Why don't we do that?"
Hey, I entirely forgot I had an account here. AGAIN.

Amaranth Sparrow

Post by Amaranth Sparrow » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:46 pm

Found the Japanese names for the character classes from a Japanese report on the Korean press conferenace! (http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/doc ... rea_21.htm)

Human
武道家 - Budōka - Martial Artist
気功家 - Kikōka - Spiritualist
エンジニア - Enjinia - Engineer

Namekian
竜族 - Ryūzoku - Dragon Clan
戦士 - Senshi - Warrior

Majin
異魔人 - Imajin - Strange Majin
大魔人 - Daimajin - Large Majin

It states, definitively, "Saiyans will not appear in the world of Age 1000," and also mentions that, naturally, original characters like Goku and Vegeta won't make appearances, because they're from a past generation. However, event quests will be included which will send players back to the original era via the time machine, where they can meet them.

Sheng Long can be summoned by collecting the seven Dragon Balls (which are apparantly carried by powerful enemies), and it will allow players to randomly obtain different rare items.

Players can compete in the Tenkaichi Budokai, where players can compete in single or team combat (up to 4 vs 4).

The time machine quests are made available by Trunks, which will allow players to journey back in time and take part in past events, where they can meet their favorite characters from the original.

Other tidbits worth noting:

The article uses phrasing like, "set 250 years after the Dragon Ball manga," "delve into the world of the manga," and so on, also mentioning both the appearance of visual "sfx" in battle and Shueisha's involvement. In other words, it's a direct follow up to Toriyama's manga, ignoring the anime adaptations and GT.

It's being developed for the Korean market first due to the strong online gaming market in South Korea and the popularity of Dragon Ball there (it even notes that it was heavily pirated).

It's currently scheduled to go live in Korea by the end of 2008, and in Japan some time in 2009. Development was delayed by about a year, though they're now reaching a point where a beta testing phase should begin fairly soon.

The reporter says that more information should be made available soon, and to expect more reports.

Furu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Furu » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:55 am

Heh, Strange and Large. Nice for the information to now be in a language slightly more people know.

Amaranth Sparrow

Post by Amaranth Sparrow » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:33 am

Imajin is actually a pretty rough translation... Dai is simple, it means "great", "giant", "large", etc...

While 異(the I in Imajin) doesn't actually have a very specific meaning on its own. It means, "different", "strange", "unique," and so on... but it's often coupled with kanji to imply something that's the opposite or somehow a variance of the original. That is to say, "name" become "alias", "faith" becomes "heresy", "homeland" becomes "foreign country"...

So... I'm not really sure how to properly translate it. "Other Majin", "Different Majin", "Abnormal Majin"...

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:25 am

Damn, looks like it's going to be a long time before it makes it's way to the U.S., if ever.
Trans rights, now!

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:18 pm

Amaranth Sparrow wrote:Namekian
竜族 - Ryūzoku - Dragon Clan
So I wonder if you could create your own dragon if you make it to a certain level...

...then again...

Amaranth Sparrow

Post by Amaranth Sparrow » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:12 am

Well, I got a higher resolution, slightly better quality video of the opening movie, and was able to make out some details.

http://cgi1.watch.impress.co.jp/cgibin/ ... 27/dbo.lzh

(LZH type archive, need winrar or some other archive program to open it)

First off, what I was able to make out:

Age 779
- Lunch succeeded in some sort of breach (prison breach?) a hundred times.
- Something happens involving the fortune-teller, Uranai Baba.

Age 780
- Pilaf attempts to conquer the world, only to fail yet again.

Age 790
- Mr. Buu declares that he has taken a lover.

Age 8XX
- Gohan (?) launches something, perhaps a martial arts school.
- Something happens involving remnants of something (which appears to be wearing the same type of battle armor Frieza's forces wore?)

Age 825
- An amusement park of some sort is opened.

Age 8xx
- Something happens involving New Namek.
- Meteors fall, which appear to be the remains of Planet Yardrat(?).

Age 853
- The people of Yardrat establish a city or some sort of home, which has an odd name(?).

Age 891
- The people of Yardrat build something?
- Something involving the World Martial Arts Tournament occurs.

Age 900
- The people of Planet Yardrat are placed in charge of developing a time traveling machine.

Age 974
- An ethologist named Dr. H-something does something involving something called Animal Da-something.
- Something involving a "sacred place", I believe Korin's tower.

Age 988
- Kinoko Rocks is felled by a gang known as "Paeria".

Age 9XX
- ???

Age 998
- Capsule Corporation begins to mass produce some type of robot.

Age 1000
- A gulf in the time stream emerges, and with it comes Trunks, the Time Guardian (Time Patrol Trunks).
- Rascals that bear a similarity to the Red Ribbon army appear.

Now direct quotes, as best as I was able to figure them out... I could probably get more accurate, but I'm not really willing to go through it anymore.

AGE 778
78TH OF THE WORLDMARTIAL ART
S TOURNAMENT THE WINNER W
AS Mr.SATAN.
Mr.BOO WAS THE SECOND PLACE.

A CHAMPIONSHIP
Mr.SATAN

Mr.BOO
FINISH SECOND IN A TOURNAMENT

NO.28
A LIST OF PARTICIPANTS

SON GOKU / PAN
OOB / SON GOTEN
TRUNKS / VEGETA
-- / MOKKEKO

AGE 779
LANCH / SUCCEDED IN THE 100 TIMES OF THE P--
BREACH.

FORTUNE-TALLER

AGE 780
PILAFU / ATTEMPTED TO CONQUEST
ONLY TO FAIL

AGE 790
Mr.BOO
DECLARED TO TAKE A LOVER

AGE 8XX
GOHAN(?)
LAUNCH--
ARTS(?) TO DO--

--AT

AGE 8XX
REMNANTS OF THE--

--ARD

AGE 825
-- WORLD
-- PARK NAMED--
-- WORLD WAS OPENED--
-- SOUTHERN

AGE 8XX
NEW NAMEK --
PS OF--
LE OF THE--

AGE 8XX
METEOR FELL DOWN

AGE 853
-- S

--OF THE NAMED--
--LAND.
AGE 891
-- BICCHI
-- REMNENTS OF THE GREAT P
-- HAVE BUILT AL

--WORLD MARTIAL ARTS--
AGE 900
YARDLAT STAR
PARTS OF THE A TRANSPORT PROJECT BEC
OMEE TO BE IN CHARGE OF THE TIME (?) TRA
AVELINGU MACHINE DEVELOPED BY P
--EAPLE OF THE YARDRAT STAR.

AGE 974
AN ETHOLOGIST Dr.H--

ANIMAL DA--

SACRED PLACE

AGE 988
KINOKO ROCKS / SUFFERED THE MASSIVE F
ELLING BY THE GANG NAM
ED PAERIA.
AGE 9XX
THE --

AGE 998
MASS PRODUCTION MODEL OF THE ?? ROBOT
NAMED WERE PRODUCED IN THE CAPSULE CORPORATION
AGE 999
--

AGE 1000
A GULF OF THE TIME EMERGED.
THE GUARD OF THE TIME. / TRUNKS

RAISE RASCALS

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:27 pm

Age 790

Really? :shock:
That's...that's something else. ^_^;;

I mean I know Buu was popular at the last tournament in the series, but a girlfriend?

Is that where all the little majins come from in this game?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:26 am

Hmm, even if there's a list of the events after Z now, should we consider them a part of the original story?

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:29 am

Snail wrote:Hmm, even if there's a list of the events after Z now, should we consider them a part of the original story?
Hm, I personally would.
I mean, this is most likely Toriyamas work, and we've got no other after Z events.. well..
Its either this or GT. :P

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:34 am

Rory wrote: Its either this or GT. :P
I'll take a romantic side story involving Mr. Boo over GT anyday :P

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:49 am

Chuquita wrote:
Age 790

Really? :shock:
That's...that's something else. ^_^;;

I mean I know Buu was popular at the last tournament in the series, but a girlfriend?

Is that where all the little majins come from in this game?
Obviously, though they're all committing incest at this point in the history.

Where would all the Saiyans come from? Only 7 survivors, 5 of them diiiiiiied anyway.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:37 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:Where would all the Saiyans come from? Only 7 survivors, 5 of them diiiiiiied anyway.
It's been noted repeatedly that there won't be any Saiyans in the world of Age 1000.
Amaranth Sparrow wrote: AGE 778
78TH OF THE WORLDMARTIAL ART
S TOURNAMENT
Interesting that they use "World Martial Arts Tournament", rather than "Tenkaichi Budoukai" or some direct translation of that. Reminds me of how it looks like in Burst Limit Freeza will be spelled "Frieza".
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Furu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Furu » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:24 pm

I find the current position of the Yardratians interesting. Certainly explains why there's so many of them on Earth.

The origin of the Majin race just got a lot more interesting. And a lot more creepy.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:26 pm

Furu wrote:I find the current position of the Yardratians interesting. Certainly explains why there's so many of them on Earth.

The origin of the Majin race just got a lot more interesting. And a lot more creepy.
Am I supposed to believe Majin Buu has a penis and some girl wanted to put said penis in her vagina? That is grasping at straws my good friend.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:50 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
Furu wrote:I find the current position of the Yardratians interesting. Certainly explains why there's so many of them on Earth.

Am I supposed to believe Majin Buu has a penis and some girl wanted to put said penis in her vagina? That is grasping at straws my good friend.
"You think Buu sexy?"

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:00 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:Am I supposed to believe Majin Buu has a penis and some girl wanted to put said penis in her vagina? That is grasping at straws my good friend.
:lol: Many lulz for that one my friend, many lulz.

But, seeing as how the story of DragonBall operates, do you REALLY think that there won't be any Saiyans at all? I mean I know that they keep saying that everyones' favorite warrior race will be absent, but what are the odds of a DragonBall related game with no playable Saiyans in it. I'm just trying to be practical here.

Just think, this is an MMORPG. MMORPG's always get upgraded after a period of time. So who's not saying that once "sales" start to drop, there won't be the "Super Saiyan Installment Pack v1.0"?

Amaranth Sparrow

Post by Amaranth Sparrow » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Snail wrote:Hmm, even if there's a list of the events after Z now, should we consider them a part of the original story?
Dragon Ball Online is being developed as a continuation to the original Dragon Ball manga series, and doesn't have anything to do with the anime adaptations. Considering how deeply involved Toriyama and Shueisha are (and how Toei is not involved at all), I think it's safe to say that this can be considered the official continuation of the manga's story.

So, I'd personally look at it like this:

Dragon Ball (manga) -> Dragon Ball Online
Dragon Ball (anime) -> Dragon Ball Z -> Dragon Ball GT

Mike D wrote:But, seeing as how the story of DragonBall operates, do you REALLY think that there won't be any Saiyans at all?
Oh, there will be Saiyans... in the past. Goku, Vegeta, and the others will be represented.

In Age 1000, though, there doesn't seem to be any intent for Saiyans to appear. It's been nearly 250 years, the Saiyan race was limited to only a handful after Planet Vegeta was destroyed, and what's left of the Saiyan bloodline would likely have become incredibly diluted.

Toriyama's mythology for the series is already well defined, and I don't think he's interested in altering it in order to allow for a race that looks virtually identical to humans, and would likely only serve to unbalance the gameplay. Need I remind you of Star Wars Galaxies and the Jedi fiasco?

Just keep in mind that the concept of Saiyans wasn't even introduced until about 1/3rd of the way through the manga, and it was about 2/3rds of the way through when Super Saiyans became relevant. Also consider what it did to the non-Saiyan cast... quickly relegating them to background characters who were little match for the ever-strengthening enemies. The same thing would happen with an MMORPG.

At this point, it looks like the greatest threat in Age 1000 is a gang of thugs running around in red shorts. I don't think we need super-powered warriors just yet, anyway.

Now, I won't deny that it's a possibility. But, at least for the time being, I'm gonna say we'd be better off without the introduction of a single, all-powerful warrior race.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:34 pm

I still think it's possible for the Saiya-jins to make an appearance later. After all, time travel *is* common place in DBO. So it wouldn't be hard/impossible for some to be pulled into the future from the past. Or SSJ may be a hard to obtain secret power-up for the 'human' warriors (thus making the enitre human race the new Saiya-jin race).

Though I do think they need more than just 3 playable races. Having the Majin race is just freaking awesome. If I ever play this I am *so* being a Majin.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:01 pm

Amaranth Sparrow wrote: Age 779
- Lunch succeeded in some sort of breach (prison breach?) a hundred times.
- Something happens involving the fortune-teller, Uranai Baba

AGE 779
LANCH / SUCCEDED IN THE 100 TIMES OF THE P--
BREACH.

FORTUNE-TALLER
Somehow I doubt that it's her, the face in the picture didn't look a thing like her, unless she was wearing a helmet of sourts.

and poor Baba :(

Good for Buu though :)