Dragon Ball: The Complete Illustrations. *Updated With Pics*

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:21 pm

Raki wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:
Raki wrote:Wait, my printing says March 2003. Complete with boobie Bulma and all.
Hmmm, exactly what edition is it?
1st Edition March 2003.
Sounds like it really is unedited, I guess VegettoEX might need to update his manga guide...and I need to get the first edition. :wink:

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:33 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:
Raki wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote: Hmmm, exactly what edition is it?
1st Edition March 2003.
Sounds like it really is unedited, I guess VegettoEX might need to update his manga guide...and I need to get the first edition. :wink:
My take is that this version was unedited, parents bought it, and then Viz had go insane on the edits. Whatever the case, I know I have a rare edition of the manga. Poor guy sold all this manga to me for 10 bucks on Ebay.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:55 pm

Raki wrote:My take is that this version was unedited, parents bought it, and then Viz had go insane on the edits. Whatever the case, I know I have a rare edition of the manga. Poor guy sold all this manga to me for 10 bucks on Ebay.
That's what I've always heard, and I think Mike mentioned it in the old "Ask VegettoEX" section of the site. I'm pretty sure I also have the early unedited version of the manga, since I bought all mine pretty soon after each volume came out. But I'd need to find all my Viz manga to check, and they're all up in the attic somewhere.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:43 am

They still have them at at Barnes and Nobles. They aren't that rare.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:48 am

Forgotten Hero wrote:They still have them at at Barnes and Nobles. They aren't that rare.
The March 2003 printing?
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:05 am

Does it have the red cover or the white-ish cover.
I use to have the red manga, but I gave it away.
If I remember correctly, it was completely uncut.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:53 am

Raki wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:
Raki wrote:Uncut as in no bubbles on Bulma.
It must have been VIZ's fourth printing of volume one, that's the only uncensored edition that VIZ has released of volume one. Here's the only other uncensored editions they've released:

-Dragon Ball Volume 1: Fourth Printing uncensored (June 2001)
-Dragon Ball Volume 2: Third Printing uncensored (November 2001)
-Dragon Ball Volume 3: Second Printing uncensored (November 2001)
Wait, my printing says March 2003. Complete with boobie Bulma and all.
I think the 2001 dates are referring to that first release with white covers in a slightly larger format. After that point, Viz went crazy with cleaning up Dragon Ball.

However, when Shonen Jump came about in... 2003-ish(?), Viz re-released the series with the red covers under their Shonen Jump line, this time without all the edits. I also have the March 2003 printing of that volume, so I can vouch for you.

Also, I think you beat me in that auction for those graphic novels on eBay.
Forgotten Hero wrote:Does it have the red cover or the white-ish cover.
I use to have the red manga, but I gave it away.
If I remember correctly, it was completely uncut.
Earlier printings of the Shonen Jump release of Dragon Ball were more or less uncut (someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that). However, as time has passed, and Viz's editing practices have become more... extreme, subsequent re-releases of Dragon Ball have been more and more edited.

Of course, like I said, I know someone here has a better grasp on the domestic release of the manga than I do. I'm just using what limited knowledge I've picked up over the past few years.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:45 pm

I got it! Surprisingly it was hard cover, I was excepting a soft cover... Oh well. What shocked me even more was that this seems to be an exact copy of Daizenshuu 1 except it now has English subtitles or English text in place of Japanese text. And I know a lot of you are wondering about the pictures being edited. The're not. All the middle fingers and Satan cars are intact.

Being my scanner is busted... I had to take actuall photos. Enjoy.

(Note: The books are the same size, the picture makes the English one look bigger though)

(The English version is on the left, the original Japanese is on the right)

Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:46 pm

I'm sold! Now let's hope it sells well and they release the rest.
Trans rights, now!

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:48 pm

Seriously!? How can you possibly have this when it doesn't come out until the 19th? I'm so jealous right now!
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:53 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:Seriously!? How can you possibly have this when it doesn't come out until the 19th? I'm so jealous right now!

Most of the time pre-orders are filled early.
Trans rights, now!

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:03 pm

Sweet, comes out on my *shamefully announces* my birthday!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:04 pm

Hardcover AND subtitles?! I'm sold. :mrgreen:

Yay for BnN employee discounts~!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:11 pm

SonEric84 said: Most of the time pre-orders are filled early.
No kidding ? I'm gonna start pre-ordering a lot of stuff from now on then if that's the case ! Also seeing how they didn't add a # 1 to it, I'm seriously having doubts about the release of any more Daizenshuu. Oh well...
Last edited by Chrono Trigger on Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:12 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:
SonEric84 said: Most of the time pre-orders are filled early.
No kidding ? I'm gonna start pre-ordering a lot of stuff from now on then if that's the case !

Yeah, I always try to when I can. I love getting stuff in advance.
Trans rights, now!

Herms

Post by Herms » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:16 pm

Looks really good. You said it was just an exact copy of Daizenshuu 1, so I assume the extra page wasn't really anything. Was the Shenlong Times in there in any form?

I see that they call the Toriyama interview "Part 1 Super Interview". The Toriyama interviews in the first six daizenshuu are called "Akira Toriyama Super Interview" and numbered one to six, so the fact that they left the "Part 1" in shows that they acknowledge there are other parts (though putting "Part 1" first and then "Super Interview" is an odd way to phrase it, but whatever). A hint at their future plans?

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:18 pm

It's interesting. I've never seen a Daizenshuu before. I've heard about them and I dunno I always thought they'd be "thicker" but it looks really nice. I heard this first one is mostly artwork with minimal text. So what is it like ? They'll have a picture and some text (probably narrated by Mr. Toriyama) saying "Oh when I drew this it was cold outside and my editor was really on my ass that day!" Stuff like that ?

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:23 pm

Hardcover?! Unedited?!

*head explodes*

This has greatly exceeded my expectations, and I already knew this was going to be good. Unless I'm forgetting something, this is the most perfect DragonBall release in America so far. I'm definitely picking this up when release day comes.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Herms

Post by Herms » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:26 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:It's interesting. I've never seen a Daizenshuu before. I've heard about them and I dunno I always thought they'd be "thicker" but it looks really nice. I heard this first one is mostly artwork with minimal text. So what is it like ? They'll have a picture and some text (probably narrated by Mr. Toriyama) saying "Oh when I drew this it was cold outside and my editor was really on my ass that day!" Stuff like that ?
Hujio has a good overview of it's contents up on Kanzentai. Basically, it's got Toriyama's introduction, then all the pictures sorted by year. This takes up most of the book, and the only text that goes along with each picture is it's number and where it first appeared. Then there's the Toriyama interview, and then the picture index, which describes in some detail when each picture was drawn and for what, sometimes with extra details about how Toriyama made it. Toriyama himself didn't write any of the index entries, though.

Daizenshuu 1 is kind of in the middle page number wise, at least compared to the other hardcover ones. 2 and 7 are quite thick, but 4 and 6 are much thinner than 1. 3 and 5 are about the same as 1.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:30 pm

Wow.

It certainly looks like Viz delivered.

This looks fantastic, and even though I own Daizenshuu 1, I'm completely sold.

Release more damn you Viz!