Dragonball Evolution - SPOILERS Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:26 pm

Well, that one line in particular seemed to be getting a lot of flak, so I was sure a lot of us would be curious. Glad to hear Goku's overall pretty confident, at least.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:27 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:That said, I turned off my laser-sight-guided Bullshit Detector and unless someone was doing something REEEEEEEEEEALLY absurd, I didn't let it phase me. So if Goku said it, he probably said it at some inconsequential junction because he had plenty of confidence in his fighting abilities.
Very well said. Kudos for that.
Again, who the hell was this movie made for?
Covering all the bases going for every possible audience to get 5 seconds of enjoyment for any type of person?

Surely not, that would be a terrible idea.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:29 pm

Wow at Goku being a slave for Piccolo.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:35 pm

Covering all the bases going for every possible audience to get 5 seconds of enjoyment for any type of person?

From that statement I can't tell if you really think 5 seconds of enjoyment is worth 17 dollars or not.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:36 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:

From that statement I can't tell if you really think 5 seconds of enjoyment is worth 17 dollars or not.
I was being sarcastic. Basically, from what I've read it really seems like that's what they're doing.

And that's a horrible idea because all together it makes a terrible movie that everyone will hate.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:55 pm

I can't help but wonder if this movie's success or failure will affect any future anime-to-film adaptations, or even the chances of them getting made at all.

Wouldn't it feel awful if it ended up the same way as the dub history; where we get a slipshod production and all those that come afterwards get respectful movie adaptions? I'd really hate that.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:00 pm

Chuquita wrote:I can't help but wonder if this movie's success or failure will affect any future anime-to-film adaptations, or even the chances of them getting made at all.

Wouldn't it feel awful if it ended up the same way as the dub history; where we get a slipshod production and all those that come afterwards get respectful movie adaptions? I'd really hate that.
Chuquita! For shame, don't say such things! Just thinking about it is- urgh, I'm getting soul pains...
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:04 pm

Chuquita wrote:I can't help but wonder if this movie's success or failure will affect any future anime-to-film adaptations, or even the chances of them getting made at all.

I would too, but if it's going to happen, it'd be better sooner than later. And if Hollywood learns from this mistake and it really turns out that more faithful adaptations are more successful, then we have a better chance of getting a reboot. At which point, Dragon Ball Evolution would fade into obscurity and become a collectors item.

It would be ironic, but very very cool.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:04 pm

Mr. Announcer wrote:

Chuquita! For shame, don't say such things! Just thinking about it is- urgh, I'm getting soul pains...

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, but I can totally see it. :(

Bleach and Naruto getting flawless movie adaptions with PG-13 level action-adventure and us being stuck with this bugger of a flick.

This must be what it felt like to be a fan in the Saban days. Feels absolutely awful.

Reboot, please? :cry:
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:08 pm

If the Hulk movie got a reboot/sequel hybrid, DragonBall can get one too.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:11 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:If the Hulk movie got a reboot/sequel hybrid, DragonBall can get one too.

But the Hulk is from Marvel. Marvel has a free pass to reboot anything anytime they want plus loads of cash and a much wider fanbase to do so with. :(

DB's franchise isn't nearly as big as Marvel, is it?

I worry we wouldn't have enough cash to afford a reboot; or that Hollywood would look solely at dbe's precedents and say "Nah, it isn't worth trying this again in a more faithful way."

When a Marvel movie fails, they're granted free range to reboot because they're Marvel.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:19 pm

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/N...le/indexF_html

MARBLES, baseball cards, gumballs... Dragonballs? These sound like the stuff children of yesteryear collected to play with or trade. So if Dragonball: Evolution sounds rather childish to you, it really is.

The movie is adapted from Japanese kiddie cartoon (or manga) series, Dragon Ball, created by Akira Toriyama in 1984.

The comic books spawned best-selling graphic novels, a phenomenally successful television series and role-playing videogames.

The Dragon Ball cartoons had more than 500 episodes which were made in Japan, and were produced and licensed for the United States, Australia and elsewhere.
Basically, the Dragon Ball stories deal with the adventures of Son Goku whose destiny is to protect Earth from an endless stream of villains bent on taking over the universe.

In this movie, based on the King Piccolo Saga, Goku (played by Justin Chatwin) has to stop the evil Lord Piccolo (James Marsters), who has returned from banishment after 2,000 years, from destroying the world.

In order to defeat Piccolo and his female sidekick Mai (Eriko), Goku not only has to learn some cool martial arts moves from Master Roshi (Chow Yun-fat) but he also has to collect all of the seven magical orbs (or Dragonballs) so that he can be granted one “perfect wish”.

Besides Roshi, Goku teams up with Bulma (Emmy Rossum) and a highway robber named Yamcha (Joon Park) in a race to find the Dragonballs before an eclipse of the sun.

When Twentieth Century Fox bought the rights to the Dragon Ball series, many of its fans had hoped that Michael Bay (of Transformers fame) would direct the movie.

That did not happen and James Wong (of Final Destination) was brought on board with screenwriter Ben Ramsey.

One can understand the constraints involved in turning such popular manga characters into live action.

Race and creed have no bearing in the Dragon Ball world where the past and future have become one.

Wong and Ramsey manage to convey this sense of “otherworldliness” nicely but they fail to flesh out the characters properly.

Except for Chow’s Roshi, the lead characters like Goku, his grandfather Gohan (Randall Duk Kim), Bulma and Yamcha appear two-dimensional and underdeveloped.

Many of Ramsey’s lines sound lame, and the high school scenes where Goku gets bullied look shoddy and contrived.

Chow and Jamie Chung (who plays Goku’s love interest Chi Chi) are the exceptions. Chow gives Roshi his own brand of self-deprecating humour, while Chung manages to portray the girl-next-door who kicks butt as well!

Rossum’s Bulma goes way over-the-top while Park’s Yamcha looks as if he has dropped out of the sky — just like Piccolo.

Technically, the movie looks impressive. The sets and location (shot in Durango, Mexico) are marvellous to look at and the battle scenes are well choreographed and filmed.

However, Evolution has that B-movie sheen because Wong could not give the film enough polish to make it appear otherwise. Still, it is way better than Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li.

If you are planning to catch the movie, don’t be in a hurry to leave when the credits appear.

The film-makers have latched on a narrative hook for its sequel in the middle of the closing credits. And it is quite a surprising touch, too.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:23 pm

Holy crap, I just found the final confrontation of Goku & Piccolo

http://www.zshare.net/video/5687502974bf9f97/

be warned! :twisted:

I am pretty bummed out after watching it. :( :?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:30 pm

Jackal puFF wrote:Holy crap, I just found the final confrontation of Goku & Piccolo

The ki was far too smokey-looking for me.

And I still don't like the whole "must be 2" and "I am" stuff; felt badly written.

Thank you for sharing though. :3
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:32 pm

The Hulk alone, does not have a large enough fanbase to crush Dragon Ball, in my opinion. After the successful reboot of the Hulk, I still hear no one say much about it. I must be blocking everyone's voice out of my mind because I'm too busy thinking of more important things, such as Dragon Ball.

Oh yeah, Iron Man and Batman raped the box office.

EDIT: I must say the way Chatku pronounces Kamehameha pisses me off.
Last edited by Krakabeast on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:43 pm

Jackal puFF wrote:Holy crap, I just found the final confrontation of Goku & Piccolo

Geez, the freaking identity issues they give Chatku in this movie drive me nuts! I mean, when Gokuh was told he was an alien, he was just like, "okay... now get the heck off my planet." That's what makes him awesome, why would you change that...

Not to mention how poorly scripted and performed that was.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

omae no kaasan

Post by omae no kaasan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:50 pm

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

The ki was far too smokey-looking for me.
See what I mean? Lifestream.

Might as well have given Piccolo a single angel wing.

Also, regarding the 'I am Goku, I am Oozaru' thing. After that, would it not have been perfect to show the outline of Oozaru behind Goku as he's about to collide with Piccolo? I mean talk about missed opportunities. It's practically a no-brainer, the entire film was 'about' him 'defeating' his inner demon (it's just handled horribly) and that was the perfect chance to show control of it AND give series fans a treat.

But no.

You just look at that and realize, everything anyone ever said about researching the original, is complete bullshit.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:02 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:SPOILERS

SPOILERS

Is this really necessary in a spoiler thread?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

omae no kaasan

Post by omae no kaasan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:06 pm

Haha, I guess not. You'll have to forgive me with how much I've been back and forth between this and the main thread.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:16 pm

After reading the review and seeing what I've seen, I'm actually relieved that the advertising for DBE has been rather sparse. I'm almost over it now that I know what it truly is, but I was dreading having to explain the ridiculousness of it all to people I know in rl if they ever noticed an ad and asked me about it.

Still gonna hope for a complete reboot. Because despite my disappointment, I still believe that making a respectable DB live action movie is not impossible.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!