Kai Episode 1 (05 April 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:25 am

jda95 wrote:
Son Wukong wrote:I was just watching the first episode again and noticed that when Raditz said to Goku ''You look exactly like our father'' he uses ''chichi''. Wasn't that supposed to be used for mothers only?
What? Chichi is 'my father'.
I thought Chichi was a chick!

Does this mean Goku's gay?

Joking by the way...

Chichi also means willy or boobies doesn't it? :lol:

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:29 am

The Time Traveller wrote:
jda95 wrote:
Son Wukong wrote:I was just watching the first episode again and noticed that when Raditz said to Goku ''You look exactly like our father'' he uses ''chichi''. Wasn't that supposed to be used for mothers only?
What? Chichi is 'my father'.

Joking by the way...

Yeah, slang for breasts.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:31 am

Most notably, we hear Upa use a form of that word when referring to Bora.

In regards to mother, one of the lines of We Gotta Power is "Haha nonki" which is "mother doesn't mind."
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:39 am

Yo! Episode 2 thread!! Jk, but still can't believe I'm catching my favorite show twice during my Spring break.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:02 am

Hmm, I see.
So chichi refers to the father in this context and haha would refer to the mother, gotcha.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:34 am

DemonRin wrote:Ok, I just read through the entire Kanzentai comparison Guide (It was long, I hadn't gotten to read it all before XP)
VERY Excellently done!! Only thing, it's missing the one thing I've actually been the MOST excited about. Dragon Ball Z was made in, and has been availible for years in only a Mono Audio track. Kai has a Multi-channel mix!! For the first time in 20 years, STEREO DRAGON BALL Z!! (Not counting the 40th Jump Special!
I think it should at least MENTION the mixing, which I felt was nothing short of spectacular!
Actually, the GT Special and the 10th Anniversary Special were in stereo. The movies in the Dragon Box as well (sort of, the VA tracks were still technically mono, but the whole thing was mixed into stereo sound).

Anyways, I'm not trying to defeat your point, you're right, I didn't really think of mentioning it. I'll be sure to work it into future comparisons where it applies. If the DragonBall Z audio cracks, or is hindered in general by the mono sound, I'll point it out and mention the stereo mix, etc. Don't worry, though, I'm sure it'll come up plenty in the future, it's just hard to fit absolutely everything into one page.

You may also notice I never once mention Yanami Jouji or the narration during the comparison. It just would have been too much, and there'll be tons of opportunities to talk about him in the future. That's the beauty of this, we'll be able to add more and more details or information with every passing week. Should be fun! :D
Tsukento wrote:Most notably, we hear Upa use a form of that word when referring to Bora.
Chichiue (父上). I can't really remember, but I think this is just like "ye olde" Japanese or something. :P
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:02 am

Kendamu wrote:
Hujio wrote:
Coola Yagami wrote:My thoughts.... cut and pasted from elsewhere.... in retrospect, I agree that Bulma did sound off... and that I kinda preffered Rugal-Raditz than Kai Raditz.
What exactly are you referring to as "cut and pasted"?
The thoughts themselves.
No, I mean I already posted up that review on other forums I go to. Just saved myself the trouble of re-typing it all again.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:39 am

DBW wrote:Actually, the GT Special and the 10th Anniversary Special were in stereo. The movies in the Dragon Box as well (sort of, the VA tracks were still technically mono, but the whole thing was mixed into stereo sound).
Notice, I said Dragon Ball Z. I didn't mention ANYTHING about DB, Movies, or GT X3
DBW wrote:Anyways, I'm not trying to defeat your point, you're right, I didn't really think of mentioning it. I'll be sure to work it into future comparisons where it applies. If the DragonBall Z audio cracks, or is hindered in general by the mono sound, I'll point it out and mention the stereo mix, etc. Don't worry, though, I'm sure it'll come up plenty in the future, it's just hard to fit absolutely everything into one page.

You may also notice I never once mention Yanami Jouji or the narration during the comparison. It just would have been too much, and there'll be tons of opportunities to talk about him in the future. That's the beauty of this, we'll be able to add more and more details or information with every passing week. Should be fun! :D
Yay!! Yes, Thank you!!
I really loved Seeing Kai with a Mixed audio track. Though I wonder, I don't know if I can tell right since I watched it in Analog mode on TVants, but if you're watching it in Japan on the HD Channel, is it Mixed in 5.1 Surround too?
THAT would be most assuredly cool!! I mean, right now the Audio mixing is apparent to me because I'm in school for animation, and Audio mixing is part of my curriculum. (Since Audio mixing is more important in Animation because you don't have the Natural sound made by the situations on-set to deal with, you have to create and mix the audio almost from scratch) But the possibility of it being 5.1 during some of the more sound-heavy scenes, like Son vs. Vegeta!? OOOH AWESOME!! X3
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:02 pm

jda95 wrote:
The Time Traveller wrote:
jda95 wrote: What? Chichi is 'my father'.

Joking by the way...

Yeah, slang for breasts.
Well, on Toei's DB Kai site, the character card for Chi-Chi is called "titi". Maybe it's a joke, or maybe it's just a poor romanizatio.

http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/dragon_ka ... ra_[b]titi[/b].jpg

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:15 pm

Hujio wrote:
Rod wrote:Do you know how much involvement Toriyama is having, if any?
I second this question, though I'm guessing he has little, if any, involvement. I mean, they're basing this off of the manga, and that's done, so I don't think they'd need too much input.
Yeah, I figured as much, the question just popped up into my head for some reason

Although is it just me or are there some people that don't seem to understand it's based of the manga and not Z?

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:52 pm

Rod wrote:
Hujio wrote:
Rod wrote:Do you know how much involvement Toriyama is having, if any?
I second this question, though I'm guessing he has little, if any, involvement. I mean, they're basing this off of the manga, and that's done, so I don't think they'd need too much input.
Yeah, I figured as much, the question just popped up into my head for some reason

Although is it just me or are there some people that don't seem to understand it's based of the manga and not Z?
That's odd. I seem to remember Z being based off the manga. And I don't remember Gohan being rescued by Goku at the start of the manga, so Kai isn't a verbatim retelling, either.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:56 pm

Anyone know how many and each scenes were cut off the episode that are in the Manga?

Except for Raditz not mention that might be Kakarrot and Bulma wondering that is Yamcha anymore scenes were left out?

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:06 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:
Rod wrote:
Hujio wrote: I second this question, though I'm guessing he has little, if any, involvement. I mean, they're basing this off of the manga, and that's done, so I don't think they'd need too much input.

That's odd. I seem to remember Z being based off the manga. And I don't remember Gohan being rescued by Goku at the start of the manga, so Kai isn't a verbatim retelling, either.
Yeah it's to bad, I wish it was verbatim, but I guess it's a little hard to do, for example Goku rescuing Gohan was needed because they didn't "refresh" the original DB, and I'm guessing there's going to be more moments, even if not a lot, that are going to be based of the anime

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:11 pm

Rod wrote:
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:
Rod wrote: Yeah, I figured as much, the question just popped up into my head for some reason

Yeah it's to bad, I wish it was verbatim, but I guess it's a little hard to do, for example Goku rescuing Gohan was needed because they didn't "refresh" the original DB, and I'm guessing there's going to be more moments, even if not a lot, that are going to be based of the anime
It's impossible to be verbatum. Some padding is needed so that each episode has a natural ending and flow to them. This first episode has been much of a test. Once the production settles in, I suspect the quality will improve.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:23 pm

I noticed something very interesting when comparing the title cards for "Heya! Son Goku and Friends Return!!" and "The Curtain Opens on the Battle! Son Goku Returns" (episode 001 of DBK):

Look at the dragonballs. Not only is the alignment of the dragonballs pretty similar in each card, but it seems like the positioning of some of the dragonballs were simply flipped, and some were left in exactly the same place.

Explanation:

(Blue=Jump Special Red=Kai)

Four Star Ball:

Upper Left Corner / Lower Right Corner

One Star Ball:

Lower Right Corner / Upper Left Corner

Five Star Ball:

Lower Left Corner / Lower Left Corner

Now, if you look at the remaining four balls, you can see that in both cards, they are in about the same relative position to each other. So what I think happened is that when they were designing the title card for the first episode of Kai, they looked at the last title card they had made, which was for the Jump Tour Special and based it off of that. Just maybe...

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:53 pm

Eh, nothing really to note. The Dragon Balls were always in some sort of different position within each episode.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:57 pm

Tsukento wrote:Eh, nothing really to note. The Dragon Balls were always in some sort of different position within each episode.
Yeah, they always seemed to be in different random positions, but this one seems to be actually based off of the previous one, which is new.
Hujio wrote:We did put a ton of time into this, since it's the first episode and all, so I'd really appreciate any comments or suggestions anyone might have for future updates. Here's lookin' forward to the second episode!
Another music comparison you could do is one between the old and new eyecatch tune. I know it is kind of implied in the Eyecatch section of the Theme Guide, but to me at least, it just seemed like something that belonged there as well.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:02 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:I'm not positive, but I think that this scene was re-drawn with some changes:[various snippage]
You know, I just realized that baby Piccolo doesn't have the usual Namekian arm and leg markings. He's just all smooth, like a regular baby, only green.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

shotkeeper
Regular

Post by shotkeeper » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:24 am

Herms wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:I'm not positive, but I think that this scene was re-drawn with some changes:[various snippage]
You know, I just realized that baby Piccolo doesn't have the usual Namekian arm and leg markings. He's just all smooth, like a regular baby, only green.
No, he's almost normal , because he has antennas :P

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:24 am

Herms wrote:
I guess this is because Baby Piccolo in Dragon Ball is a demon, not a Namek. :lol: